PDA

View Full Version : What a difference pitching makes

runfreelrun
07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Over the last 5 years we as Reds fans have been subjected to torture. A team loaded with offense still would find ways to lose games 9 to 8. What a difference a couple of years make. Granted these aren't the 75 Reds or even the 99 Reds for that matter, but we finally have a bonafide ace to match up with someone elses. On top of that we then throw Arroyo out there tomorrow and I feel with a great chance to win another. Also for those who question the "trade" when was the last time the Reds pen had a young arm who threw 94 mph and had a bulldog mentality and went right at guys, remember Norm Charlton, because I believe that is what we have in Bill Bray. Excuse my excitment, but when was the last time on July 25th you could honestly turn off the tv and picture the Reds playing in October? I hope it's not a dream, because I am beginning to get my hopes up. Go REDS!!!!!

KoryMac5
07-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't think Bray has Norm's mean streak yet but that will come with time maybe he can steamroll a catcher or something to solidify his place.

RedsMan3203
07-25-2006, 11:50 PM
When was the last time you got excited about the Reds Pitching????

Been awhile.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
and a team with a really bad offense.

Maldez
07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
More so than just the players on the 25 man roster now, I'm excited about the new front office duo of owner Bob Castellini and GM Wayne Krivsky.

It's obvious we now have guys running the team who are highly capable pros who are going to get the job done. The putridness of the Carl Lindner, Dan O'Brien, Dave Miley days are O-VUH!

BoCcc2832
07-26-2006, 12:10 AM

Do you really have to be negative like that? Celebrate the fact that we are holding our own in the Wild Card race and not relying on other teams to lose. Celebrate the fact that Aaron Harang was absolutely studly, Brandon Phillips had two Web Gems, and Scott Hatteberg had three hits. Don't criticize. Cheer.

flyer85
07-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Do you really have to be negative like that? stating a fact. I'm sorry if that rains on your parade but it doesn't change the truth. The Astros have the the 2nd to worst offense in the league with Berkman, without him, well ...

reds1869
07-26-2006, 12:19 AM

Many of our offensive stats are better since the trade. LOB has been the biggest problem, and it is one that the dearly departed would not help out significantly. Base running errors/coaching decisions have been bad too. The Reds in general are hitting well; not machine like, but good enough to be 8-3 since the break. My only offensive concern is scoring more runs than our pitching gives up...it's all relative when you are building a contender.

TOBTTReds
07-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Many of our offensive stats are better since the trade. LOB has been the biggest problem, and it is one that the dearly departed would not help out significantly. Base running errors/coaching decisions have been bad too. The Reds in general are hitting well; not machine like, but good enough to be 8-3 since the break. My only offensive concern is scoring more runs than our pitching gives up...it's all relative when you are building a contender.

I think he was talking about the Astros O. I thought he was talking about the Reds too until he mentioned they're 2nd last in the NL in runs.

ChatterRed
07-26-2006, 12:48 AM
It's not like Clemens is chopped liver.

We beat a good pitcher tonight. His era is 2.45 in like 6 or 7 starts.

The offense is in a bit of a slump. But that's why the pitching is superb. I am growing more and more confident in our bullpen. Coffey, Bray, Mewjeski, Guardado, Standridge..........it's looking pretty good these days. Geez......Coffey had a couple of 94-95 mph fastballs. Bray's were impressive too. Wow. We got some heat in the bullpen. Very nice.

dabvu2498
07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Their lineup last night was downright awful.

Chris Burke 3 hitter???
Aubrey Huff 4 hitter???
Preston Wilson 5 hitter???

Ugh...

redsmetz
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Their lineup last night was downright awful.

Chris Burke 3 hitter???
Aubrey Huff 4 hitter???
Preston Wilson 5 hitter???

Ugh...

So we win the games we're supposed to win. If they're forced to run a chopped liver offense out there, let's get 'em. One game at a time, but I'm for taking the second game today and then liking my chances in the third.

Dunner44
07-26-2006, 08:44 AM
As for the Reds offense, I think a lot of their struggles go back to Griffey's slump. When your #3 hitter can't do anything but hit into DPs and pop out, then it hurts the team. Hopefully Edwin does well tonight, he has been a spark every time he's started.

redsmetz
07-26-2006, 09:16 AM
As for the Reds offense, I think a lot of their struggles go back to Griffey's slump. When your #3 hitter can't do anything but hit into DPs and pop out, then it hurts the team. Hopefully Edwin does well tonight, he has been a spark every time he's started.

If it was me, I'd give Griff a couple of days off and run Denorfia and Freel out there. I'd slide Aurilia over to 2nd for a game and maybe at 1st in another and let EE get a couple of more starts. The season is getting long at this moment and I think some of these guys could use a breather right now.

This morning at breakfast while reading about last night's game, I thought back to the horrible miserable Opening Day weather and it seemed like a million years ago. Who knew this season would play out like this. It's like going from a frozen tundra to the beach.