PDA

View Full Version : Mays to be cut today?

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Joe Mays is listed as the probable starter for Saturday's game in Milwaukee, but the Reds will likely waive him on Wednesday to create room on the roster for David Ross.

Mays has been horrible lately. The right-hander is 0-1 with a 9.45 ERA in the last four starts. Prospect Justin Germano could be called up from Triple-A Louisville if the Reds decide that Mays is too risky to use.

Good to see that he will be let go, he just can't get it done any longer. He has no business being in the rotation of a playoff contender, IMO.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Are you getting this from somewhere, or are you just speculating?

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Are you getting this from somewhere, or are you just speculating?

Sorry, this is taken from Rotoworld.com. They didn't list a source.

The last sentence in the original post is my own, just to clarify.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:26 AM
if Mays is cut today, I'm guessing that Krivsky makes a deal for a starter by Saturday to fill the open spot in the rotation rather than call up Germano. He knows how high the stakes are at this point. Can't afford to throw a prospect out there vs a team that you've struggled with this year and that could potentially gain some momentum by picking up a few W's vs your team.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
if Mays is cut today, I'm guessing that Krivsky makes a deal for a starter by Saturday to fill the open spot in the rotation rather than call up Germano. He knows how high the stakes are at this point. Can't afford to throw a prospect out there vs a team that you've struggled with this year and that could potentially gain some momentum by picking up a few W's vs your team.

Interesting thought. I know people aren't excited about it, but I can see a Mark Redman in our future. Let him and Claussen fight it out for the 4th rotation spot.

boobhat
07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
what options are out there as far as starting pitching goes that the reds can get?

BRM
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Joe Mays is listed as the probable starter for Saturday's game in Milwaukee, but the Reds will likely waive him on Wednesday to create room on the roster for David Ross.

And there will be much rejoicing.

:beerme:

Chip R
Sorry, this is taken from Rotoworld.com. They didn't list a source.

The last sentence in the original post is my own, just to clarify.

There's a story about it in the Post this morning as well.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/SPT05/607260332/1035

Red Leader
what options are out there as far as starting pitching goes that the reds can get?

In house options:
Justin Germano, AAA
Phil Dumatrait, AA
Mike Gosling, AAA

Other teams:
Mark Redman, KC
Kyle Lohse, MIN
Kris Benson, BAL

are some that come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I believe Germano is scheduled to start Thursday at AAA. It will be interesting to see if 1) Mays is cut today to activate Ross, and 2) If Germano makes that start tomorrow. If Mays is cut and Germano makes the start, it would almost be 100% certain a trade is close.

PuffyPig
07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I believe Germano is scheduled to start Thursday at AAA. It will be interesting to see if 1) Mays is cut today to activate Ross, and 2) If Germano makes that start tomorrow. If Mays is cut and Germano makes the start, it would almost be 100% certain a trade is close.

Or that Gosling might get the start. he's a lefty, and that makes more sense against the Brewers.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Or that Gosling might get the start. he's a lefty, and that makes more sense against the Brewers.

That's also possible. Thanks. Gosling would be on regular rest pitching Saturday, I believe. I still think a trade is in the works, personally.

boobhat
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
what kind of money are benson, redman and lohse demanding? and are all of those people 1 year deals?

boobhat
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
i would prefer benson since we would be getting his wife along with the deal

edabbs44
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Interesting thought. I know people aren't excited about it, but I can see a Mark Redman in our future. Let him and Claussen fight it out for the 4th rotation spot.
If WK makes a deal for Redman, there will be no fight. He will be #4 (or possibly 3) and Claussen will be fighting over the scraps.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
what kind of money are benson, redman and lohse demanding? and are all of those people 1 year deals?

Redman is making $4.5M this year. He is a free agent at the end of 2006.

Lohse signed a 1 year $3.95M contract through arbitration for 2006. I believe he is either going into his last arbitration year, or will be a free agent after this year.

Benson is more long term of the 3. Signed for $7.5M in both 2006 and 2007- + deal includes a 2008 option worth 7.5M or a 500K buyout

Of the 3, I think I'd like Redman the most, and Lohse the least.

Puffy
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Lohse is a no better option than Mays. Lohse seems to fit in the bullpen, but not the rotation, so I would hope its not him they are looking for.

Redman is OK. As a #4 he would be OK.

Benson is a crap shoot - I really thought this would be his year. Mazzone and Ray Miller working with him and he is still the same 4 + pitcher he has always been.

However, anything is an upgrade over Dave Williams, errrrr, Joe Mays.

TheBigLebowski
07-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think Benson is worth the $$$$. I'd prefer Redman. Plus, I think another lefty fits our staff better.

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Please bring Anna over for some comic relief...... plus the jealousy among the women on this board over how close she gets to Dunn will be fun to see.

deltachi8
07-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Were the Royals interested at some point in LaRue or am I completely off on that one?

Doc. Scott
07-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Redman might go for more than he would otherwise because of his (somewhat comical) status as the Token Royals All-Star. But I do agree that based on salary and results, he's probably the best option of the Redman/Benson/Lohse troika.

Who do you offer for Redman? I doubt the Royals would take LaRue straight up for him. It's hard to figure out what KC is interested in because they basically need it all.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Were the Royals interested at some point in LaRue or am I completely off on that one?

I doubt at LaRue's salary that the Royals would be interested in LaRue. They have John Buck at C and he's fairly young and inexpensive and they have Paul Bako as his backup. They shouldn't be interested in LaRue.

It shouldn't take more than a couple average prospects to get Redman. The Reds would have to take on salary in the deal, however.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 11:40 AM
If I'm making an offer for Redman, I probably give up SP Justin Germano and a prospect that most likely won't amount to much more than a backup while agreeing to take on the remainder of Redman's salary for this year.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 11:42 AM
KC's a pitcher's park, perhaps they'd take on Milton if we offered to pick up part of the tab. If some of his GAB HRs were turned into flyballs, he might not be an actual atrocity on the mound.

Might, he said.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
KC's a pitcher's park, perhaps they'd take on Milton if we offered to pick up part of the tab. If some of his GAB HRs were turned into flyballs, he might not be an actual atrocity on the mound.

Might, he said.

I don't know. After they traded for Odalis Perez, that might be an option. They're sure not going to lure free agents pitchers there. Depends on if they view Milton has a lost cause (as most do) or if they feel he can benefit from a change of scenery (foolish, IMO).

Puffy
07-26-2006, 11:55 AM

I agree - I think if Milton could pitch in Yellowstone with softball rules (4 outfielders) he could be a really decent pitcher.

Marc D
07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree - I think if Milton could pitch in Yellowstone with softball rules (4 outfielders) he could be a really decent pitcher.

That and the whole underhand concept that I have been screaming at him to try for the past two years.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 12:28 PM

And no HR fence--that would be a big improvement.

flyer85
07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm still bettin' Joe pitches Saturday. :D

CougarQuest
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Let's just hope it's at Rumpke Park

flyer85
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Let's just hope it's at Rumpke ParkMaybe he could pitch from the top of the mountain, it would be fitting.

Falls City Beer
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM

It's where my money is as well.

flyer85
07-26-2006, 01:11 PM
It's where my money is as well.the Reds are still leading the WC, they can afford to give away a few more games.

PuffyPig
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
the Reds are still leading the WC, they can afford to give away a few more games.
No thanks to him, but games started by Mays have not been throw aways by the Reds. They are 2-2 in his 4 starts. But I'd suggest we shouldn't press our luck.

flyer85
07-26-2006, 02:56 PM
No thanks to him, but games started by Mays have not been throw aways by the Reds. They are 2-2 in his 4 starts. But I'd suggest we shouldn't press our luck.Maybe they could be 4-0. All I know is that the offense have to perform well above average to win when Mays pitches. They will face Doug Davis this Saturday. What are the odds the Reds will score 6-8 runs off of him?

Matt700wlw
07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Kris Benson, BAL

Could Cincinnati handle her? http://www.annabenson.net

Matt700wlw
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
The Reds game notes yesterday have the starting pitchers for Saturday and Sunday as TBA...

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Could Cincinnati handle her? http://www.annabenson.net

Hell yeah. I know I could. :laugh:

Matt700wlw
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM

:beerme:

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 03:14 PM

I forgot to add:

...for at least a minute and a half! :laugh: :evil:

Eric_Davis
07-26-2006, 03:42 PM
They're going to have to figure out something major for this 5th starter because we're talking about 11 starts....that's the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs.

At the end of the White Sox series, it was obvious that we were 4 or 5 pitchers away from being able to:

A: Get to the playoffs; and,
B: Win a first round playoff series.

We've got three new pitchers now, but we're still one or two short. It might be one of our AAA or AA pitchers or someone from another club, but whomever it becomes, they need to be able to win, just not throw innings...

Our best shot is to get someone from another club because they are more likely able to go seven innings consistently in September...A minor leaguer is more likely to run out of gas.

NJReds
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
The Reds game notes yesterday have the starting pitchers for Saturday and Sunday as TBA...

Barry Zito's next scheduled start is Saturday...:evil:

Falls City Beer
07-26-2006, 03:46 PM

Nope, those chips are playing in D.C.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Votto, Larue, and Zach Ward for Zito.

RedLegSuperStar
07-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Yeah and you will see the reds be shopping for minor league players to fill all the holes that would be depleated once the A's take all our prospects for a 2 months+

Falls City Beer
07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Votto, Larue, and Zach Ward for Zito.

You do remember what Beane got for Mulder, right?

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2006, 03:49 PM
You do remember what Beane got for Mulder, right?

Ok, we can throw in Claussen and Coffey as well.

NJReds
07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
I was just kidding around. Anyway, I've heard that Beane has a man-crush on Lastings Milledge.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2006, 03:52 PM
I was just kidding around. Anyway, I've heard that Beane has a man-crush on Lastings Milledge.

Sorry to hear that about Billy.

Big mistake.

NJReds
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear that about Billy.

Big mistake.

I wasn't all that impressed with Lastings, either, when he was up with the big club.

I think the Mets should make that trade (rumored to be Lastings and Heilman) because even if they lose Zito via free agency, they'd get draft picks in return. And the Mets have a shot at a championship.

KronoRed
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah and you will see the reds be shopping for minor league players to fill all the holes that would be depleated once the A's take all our prospects for a 2 months+
Only if they take Milton too ;)