PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Hal McCoy

reds44
07-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Hal is staying at the same hotel (Inn at the Ballpark) in Houston and had a few notes when I talked to him.

- Hatte signed an extension for 1 year 1.5 mil with an option for 08.
- Phillips will be the starting SS next year.
- Everybody in the media (including himself) thinks Edwin should play everyday.
- Edwin is not happy about not playing everyday.
- Edwin will probably start the next 3 games.
- Rich has no range.
- Mays will make his next start.
- Homer won't be up until he gets better control on his breaking ball.

Thats it for now. I will share the entire story later. I am on my way out I just wanted to share that.

Go Reds!

VR
07-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Hal is staying at the same hotel (Inn at the Ballpark) in Houston and had a few notes when I talked to him.

- Hatte signed an extension for 1 year 1.5 mil with an option for 08.
- Everybody in the media (including himself) thinks Edwin should play everyday.
- Edwin is not happy about not playing everyday.
- Edwin will probably start the next 3 games.
- Rich has no range.
- Homer won't be up until he gets better control on his breaking ball.

Thats it for now. I will share the entire story later. I am on my way out I just wanted to share that.

Go Reds!

You had me happy until that

BuckeyeRedleg
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Great scoop. Thanks.

smith288
07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I believe Aurilia's being showcased... I have no doubts and I think (if true)Edwin should be told to show a little patience in that regard because it will make the team better in the long run.

I know everywhere here hates seeing Aurilia out there but there seems to be a pretty bustling market for 3b's this deadline and would not be suprised to see him moved for a starter or more relief help.

dabvu2498
07-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Did Hal say how Dave from Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek was doing??? :)

flyer85
07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Everybody in the media (including himself) thinks Edwin should play everyday.Jerry has the only vote that counts and there is no doubt he prefers Rich.

RedFanAlways1966
07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Did Hal say how Dave from Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek was doing??? :)

I have always wondered if Hal just made this person up... to get the masses fired-up and give Hal a chance to voice an opinion of his own by answering some "jerk".

dabvu2498
07-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I have always wondered if Hal just made this person up... to get the masses fired-up and give Hal a chance to voice an opinion of his own by answering some "jerk".
Ditto "Richard from Indian Hill."

HotCorner
07-26-2006, 03:52 PM
- Rich has no range.

Water is wet. ;)

TOBTTReds
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
- Rich has no range.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE: If a near blind man can see that, I really hope JN doesn't play Richie at 2nd base like he has said he would.

johngalt
07-26-2006, 04:21 PM
You had me happy until that

Hal's off on that one. Smell the DFA...

Chip R
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Hal's off on that one. Smell the DFA...

Is Jim Beattie going to be the one who tells Mays he'll make his next start? ;)

Cyclone792
07-26-2006, 04:57 PM

I certainly hope Hal's right ... no, make that I pray that Hal's right.

Even if Phillips regresses with the bat next season - which I expect, honestly - if he moves to shortstop and plays solid defense then that can wash out some of his potential offensive regression. The hope is that the total run value package of Phillips offensively and defensively is at least on par with what we had with Lopez, and then we can go out and further upgrade second base.

I guess we'll see.

Buckeye33
07-26-2006, 05:24 PM

I would go find Hal and demand an apology for this false info he gave you earlier. Lets hope he is right on most of the other stuff he told you though.

KronoRed
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
How come this stuff never comes out with he's on in the 2nd inning? ;)

johngalt
07-26-2006, 06:53 PM

lol.....yes, the alternate universe of Redsville lives on! :)

westofyou
07-26-2006, 06:55 PM

Delino DeShields will be making the call.

RedsManRick
07-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was some comment Phillips' made about "being here for his defense". Not that I want him to ignore his offense, but I like that he doesn't think he's an offensive star (Alex Gonzalez, I'm looking at you) and knows that defense is his ticket.

Interestingly, while his Zone Rating is 3rd in the NL (Biggo(!), Carroll), his Range Factor is 12th of 13 (Vidro is last, Carroll 1st). I wonder how much of that is due to a flyball staff? Also, based on those 2, albeit flawed, stats, Jamey Carroll looks like one hell of a defender. Can anybody corroborate that? Based on what I've read, he seems like David Eckstein v2.0.

Cedric
07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Do yourself a favor and just forget defensive metrics.

I know Redszone isn't the place for grey areas, but they just aren't realistic and reliable.

smith288
07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to remember where I read it, but there was some comment Phillips' made about "being here for his defense". Not that I want him to ignore his offense, but I like that he doesn't think he's an offensive star (Alex Gonzalez, I'm looking at you) and knows that defense is his ticket.

Interestingly, while his Zone Rating is 3rd in the NL (Biggo(!), Carroll), his Range Factor is 12th of 13 (Vidro is last, Carroll 1st). I wonder how much of that is due to a flyball staff? Also, based on those 2, albeit flawed, stats, Jamey Carroll looks like one hell of a defender. Can anybody corroborate that? Based on what I've read, he seems like David Eckstein v2.0.
Carroll's the one who screwed the game up for CO wasnt he? Some defender! :evil:

Falls City Beer
07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Do yourself a favor and just forget defensive metrics.

I agree. They're like exceedingly blurry photographs.