PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's starter has been determined

edabbs44
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
But the CIA (Cincinnati Intelligence Agency) is not ready to tell anyone. Not sure why it is such a big secret...though Jerry said it won't be Homer.

HOUSTON - So, since it's not going to be Joe Mays, the question is: Who will it be?

The Reds designated Mays for assignment Wednesday to make room on the roster for catcher David Ross, who returned from the disabled list.

Mays had been listed as Saturday's starter against the Brewers in Milwaukee, but instead he is through as a Red.

"Since Joe Mays is no longer here, Saturday will be TBA - to be announced - or, what was the other one?" Narron said.

To be determined, Narron was told.

Narron went on to say that TBA is more accurate. The Reds have determined who will start Saturday, but they are not ready to announce it.

Narron did say it would not be Double-A phenom Homer Bailey.

That would seem to leave three choices, all on the 40-man roster and all at Triple-A Louisville: left-handers Michael Gosling and Phil Dumatrait or right-hander Justin Germano.

Saturday is Gosling's normal day, but his numbers are the worst of the three (4-5, 4.50 ERA). Dumatrait would be going with an extra day's rest. He's 4-4 with a 3.98 ERA.

Germano's turn was Wednesday. But Brandon Claussen made a rehab start in his spot.

Germano is 8-6 with a 3.69 ERA and he's won his last five decisions. The Reds could have him throw a bullpen session today and have him pitch Saturday on extra rest.

The fifth starter's spot is about to become much more important. Because of off days and the All-Star break, Mays made only four starts over a one-month period.

That won't be the case in August. The Reds have only one off day in the month.

"In August, we can't hide anything," Narron said.

Mays was 0-1 with a 9.45 ERA over his four starts. He had a 1.29 ERA in three relief appearances before moving into the rotation.

"It wasn't ideal circumstances," Narron said. "He came here basically as a long man. (Brandon) Claussen went on the disabled list and (Mays) stepped into that spot. He wasn't able to pitch every fifth day."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/SPT04/607270336/1071

StillFunkyB
07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
I hope it's Dumatrait. We've already seen the other two.

lollipopcurve
07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm guessing Germano.

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Yeah, and apparently one chance is all you get.

zombie-a-go-go
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Jeff Shaw.

corkedbat
07-27-2006, 10:37 AM
It's Denorfia, I just know it is. The Brewers don't stand a chance. For gosh sakes, at least let them prepare for their fate and make peace with their collective dieities. Oh the humanity!

LincolnparkRed
07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Germano's start was skipped and he is not listed as a probable so I imagine it has to be him.

Danny Serafini
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Read elsewhere that Germano was actually supposed to go today since Claussen went yesterday, but the Bats website is showing Michalak as today's starter, so it looks like Germano indeed. We'll know soon enough, Bats play at 1:00 today.

boobhat
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
what about harang, didnt he throw great earlier in the year on 3 days rest against the brewers?

PuffyPig
07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Was there something about Germano's scoreless inning which soured you?

oneupper
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I was going to say Germano made more sense, because Brewers hit better vs. LHP. But its about even .764 vs. .767 OPS.

Earlier in the season there was a marked difference. Brewers were KILLING lefties. Guess that changed when Claussen went on the DL.

Series looks very challenging anyway:

Ohka vs. Milton (been there done that)
Davis vs. whoever (Davis has owned us)
Sheets vs. Harang (two very good pitchers).

KoryMac5
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I would go with Germano unless they bring up Durmatrait to showcase in a trade.

Strikes Out Looking
07-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Okay, I shouldn't let this leak, but I'm going to let you all in on my little secret. Me and my 60 mph fastball and 55 mph sometimes it curves ball will be on the mound Saturday night. I impressed the Reds with my control and they figured it was worth the risk. Plus, I'm so slow, I could probably throw off the Brewers timing for at least a few innings.
I can't tell you the details of my contract, but I'm not quitting my day job yet. I was going to use Scott Boras to negotiate for me, but after seeing what happened to Lopez, I just signed what they gave me.
Anyway, gotta go and stretch and then catch my Midwest Express flight to Milwaukee.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
This secretive crap for tools.

Ltlabner
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Playing conspircy theroist for a while, does this article give any more weight to the wild speculation of a trade happening? In other words, they know who the starter is, but because the deal is not finalized they can't announce it.

That's a wild, complete shot in the dark that I fully admit is very unlikely. But...dare to dream I suppose.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Playing conspircy theroist for a while, does this article give any more weight to the wild speculation of a trade happening? In other words, they know who the starter is, but because the deal is not finalized they can't announce it.

That's a wild, complete shot in the dark that I fully admit is very unlikely. But...dare to dream I suppose.

Nah, they just want to keep the starter a secret because he's going to be some garbage from AAA; any "competitive advantage" they can get.

Ltlabner
07-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Nah, they just want to keep the starter a secret because he's going to be some garbage from AAA; any "competitive advantage" they can get.

Unfortunatley, I am forced to agree with you FCB. I wouldn't call the guys at Louisville garbage but in terms of being effective big leage pitchers and helping the Reds....nothing doing.

lollipopcurve
07-27-2006, 02:43 PM
The start is on Saturday -- the deadline isn't until Sunday night, so it's pretty likely that even if they do land another starter in a trade, it won't be until after Germano has to take the hill.

edabbs44
07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Olney thinks the Reds will make a deal for a starter and one name he said makes sense is....gulp...Rodrigo Lopez.

Rojo
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Does nobody want to take a gander at Gosling?

puca
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Olney thinks the Reds will make a deal for a starter and one name he said makes sense is....gulp...Rodrigo Lopez.

Makes sense to Olney...hopefully not to Wayne.

Rojo
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM

I've been thinking the same thing.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought we already had him only he was going by the name of "Joe Mays".

VR
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Barry Zito pitched last Monday. Seems like the logical choice.

Strikes Out Looking
07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
For what it's worth, Buster Olney is reporting that the Red Sox are working on a three team trade. Maybe it's Tejada to the Sox and Lopez to the Reds? (I'm not saying that is good or bad, just guessing).

westofyou
07-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I would go with Germano unless they bring up Durmatrait to showcase in a trade.

Marcs Blog

Thursday, July 27, 2006
Looks like it'll be Germano

HOUSTON -- Louisville started Chris Michalak in today's game at Buffalo, paving the way for Justin Germano to start for the Reds Saturday in Milwaukee.

princeton
07-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Marcs Blog

Thursday, July 27, 2006
Looks like it'll be Germano

HOUSTON -- Louisville started Chris Michalak in today's game at Buffalo, paving the way for Justin Germano to start for the Reds Saturday in Milwaukee.

I can see Michalak pushing Germano onto the field. Or, OUCH, MY FOOT! I WON'T BE ABLE TO PITCH UNTIL SATURDAY!

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Why not Claussen?

BRM
07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Why not Claussen?

He pitched yesterday for the Bats.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Why not Claussen?

Why not Joe Mays? :D

princeton
07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Why not Joe Mays? :D

is there a difference between Mays and Germano?

lollipopcurve
07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Does nobody want to take a gander at Gosling?

Duck and cover!

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Yes...Germano's name isn't Joe Mays :D

Rojo
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes...Germano's name isn't Joe Mays :D

I've been toying with a theory that names can help a marginal ballplayer. A name like Mays would be case in point.

Roy Tucker
07-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I believe all the guys vying for the #5 slot are Joe Mays-ish.

In order to properly measure how good/bad they are, we should replace VORP with VOJM, Value Over Joe Mays. Joe Mays is in the 3.5 sigma range of the bell-shaped curve at the "stinks" end.

BRM
07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I believe all the guys vying for the #5 slot are Joe Mays-ish.

Barring some sort of trade, you're probably right.

edabbs44
07-27-2006, 05:22 PM
At least Germano has a chance to improve and be better...I'll take the unknown over Mays any day.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Just let Freel throw it.

princeton
07-27-2006, 05:37 PM
At least Germano has a chance to improve and be better...I'll take the unknown over Mays any day.

on the macro scale, this is probably a losing bet. My guess is that, given two borderline-talent players (a vet with a history of success and a young player with no history), the vet is more likely to overcome a terrible stretch to become productive again, and the young player is more likely to never have a productive stretch in his entire life

it's why Weathers is still here. And rightfully so. Weathers has more lives than a cat. I thought that he was done in 1998, in 2005, and now. But I won't be surprised when he pitches important innings again, either.

here's a better bet: get more talented pitchers in here.

membengal
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Princeton...Mays has been in a "terrible stretch" for two seasons now. I think the ship has long since sailed on his effectiveness. At this point, I will also take the unknown behind door #2 over running Mays back out there again for more glorified batting practice...

CougarQuest
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
It sounds like to me the Reds are WORKING on a deal for a starting pitcher and if that deal doesn't come to fruition, then Germano will be the starting pitcher.

M2
07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
It sounds like to me the Reds are WORKING on a deal for a starting pitcher and if that deal doesn't come to fruition, then Germano will be the starting pitcher.

That's my take too.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 05:59 PM
That's my take too.

And if I had to guess, Germano's probably just as talented as this prospective pitcher.

M2
07-27-2006, 06:04 PM
And if I had to guess, Germano's probably just as talented as this prospective pitcher.

Boy I hope you wind up wrong on that one as I'm quite down on Germano.

My sneaking suspicion is you won't be. I'm starting to think there won't be a good pitcher moved before the deadline.

Puffy
07-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Boy I hope you wind up wrong on that one as I'm quite down on Germano.

My sneaking suspicion is you won't be. I'm starting to think there won't be a good pitcher moved before the deadline.

Especially for what the Reds have to offer/package. I'm very certain that they don't have the bullets to acquire anything but a big ole question mark.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Especially for what the Reds have to offer/package. I'm very certain that they don't have the bullets to acquire anything but a big ole question mark.

And they certainly have the GM to overpay for said question mark. I could easily see a Votto/Dumatrait for Rodrigo Lopez going down. In fact, my money'd be on it. And that deal, frankly, would be worse than Kearns/Lopez for thingamajigs.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I could see Votoo being moved for junk, I think EE is their 1B of the future.

Eric_Davis
07-27-2006, 06:30 PM
But the CIA (Cincinnati Intelligence Agency) is not ready to tell anyone. Not sure why it is such a big secret...though Jerry said it won't be Homer.

I've read time and time again, that minor league pitchers are the hardest to hit off of their first time because of the limited information from scouting reports.

So, the more secret, the better.....gives them less time to prepare.

StillFunkyB
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Was there something about Germano's scoreless inning which soured you?

No, I was just saying that because I would like to see him get a chance as well.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I've read time and time again, that minor league pitchers are the hardest to hit off of their first time because of the limited information from scouting reports.

So we should just keep calling minor leaguers up?

YES :D