PDA

View Full Version : Bring Votto up

BoCcc2832
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
In spite of Hatteberg's extension, I would like to see Joey Votto come up soon to play first base. In 100 games played, Votto has 123 hits, 19 home runs, 61 rib-eye steaks, 218 total bases, 17 stolen bases (the most on the team), plus a .323 avg, .406 OBP, .572 SLG, and .978 OPS. How about that? That's pretty good, you have to admit. BRING HIM UP!!!

Joseph
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
If by up you mean Louisville, then yes you are right.

Last thing he needs to do is come sit on the bench next to EE and Deno in Cincinnati.

Chip R
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Why? So he can sit on the bench with Encarnacion and Denorfia?

Jr's Boy
07-27-2006, 12:58 PM
This move would make no sense.

CincyReds2003
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Instead of Votto, lets get Otto!

http://www.schepperle.org/Grafiken/Simpsons/otto.gif

Krusty
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Bring Votto up in September when rosters are expanded....I can see. But you hinder his development if he is rushed.

Let him finish the season at Chatanooga and move him to Louisville come 2007. He is the successor to Hatteberg at lst base but there is no need to rush especially when Hatteberg signed the contract extension.

redssouth
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Hmmm... heres Hattes numbers....
OBP SLG AVG OPS
419 .507 .326 .926

That doesnt seem to be a problem.

So, you want to bring up a AA player that has never seen big league pitching to replace a guy that has been hitting the ball pretty well as of late? Good idea. And since the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team, maybe we should bring up Jay Bruce to replace Adam Dunn while we are at it.

M2
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I'd let him chase the Southern League triple crown and then give him a break before sending out to the AFL.

Nothing wrong with a prospect having a huge season, nothing at all.

princeton
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
don't like seeing Javy Valentin come up to pinch-hit?

Votto would also give us catcher/former catcher number five. only twenty to go.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 01:51 PM
We would bring him up from AA, why?

Brandon Larson says hi! :wave:
Pete Rose, Jr. says hi! :wave:

cumberlandreds
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in September but not till then.

redssouth
07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
We would bring him up from AA, why?

Brandon Larson says hi! :wave:
Pete Rose, Jr. says hi! :wave:

Pete Rose Jr. is an AWFUL comparison... i thought we were talking about prospects, not pipe dreams.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Pete Rose Jr. is an AWFUL comparison... i thought we were talking about prospects, not pipe dreams.

Really? He was brought straight up from Double A, when he obviously WAS NOT supposed to be there. Same with Brandon Larson being brought up from Triple A and not hacking it in the Majors.

No need to rush young players onto the field. I could see more of Homer Bailey, because we need the pitching, and starting him off in the pen definitely wouldn't hurt him.

TOBTTReds
07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Really? He was brought straight up from Double A, when he obviously WAS NOT supposed to be there. Same with Brandon Larson being brought up from Triple A and not hacking it in the Majors.

No need to rush young players onto the field. I could see more of Homer Bailey, because we need the pitching, and starting him off in the pen definitely wouldn't hurt him.

Pete Rose Jr. was NEVER a good prospect. Yes he was brought up from AA, that is the only fair comparison.

I see your Larson comparison, but I doubt that one too. I think our scouts missed that one big time. He had a MAJOR hole in his swing and somehow still made it up. I don't think Votto has that major hole (breaking balls) partially bc he is LH.

redssouth
07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I get the Larson one... he mashed in the minors, was a legit prospect for years, but he never could make the transition. Rose Jr. was never a legit prospect for the Reds, he was a AAAA filler that was good PR. Nothing more, nothing less.

registerthis
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Pete Rose, Jr. a top prospect?

Only at the Mirage.

westofyou
07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Pete Rose Jr. was NEVER a good prospect.

Just another Legacy Plebe

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/floundergeek.jpg

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Pete Rose Jr. was NEVER a good prospect. Yes he was brought up from AA, that is the only fair comparison.

I see your Larson comparison, but I doubt that one too. I think our scouts missed that one big time. He had a MAJOR hole in his swing and somehow still made it up. I don't think Votto has that major hole (breaking balls) partially bc he is LH.

We don't know that yet though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Chip R
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Larson did time in Louisville before he was called up by the Reds. Pete, Jr. was an opportunity to sell tickets for a team who was out of it. Obviously the Reds didn't value him too highly since he was released the following spring.

ChaseReds
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Dont rush Votto bringing him up now is a horrible idea...

As far as Pete Rose Jr.-- it was all PR stunt to get more bling...

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
As far as Pete Rose Jr.-- it was all PR stunt to get more bling...

True. True.

Saw him get his first hit though. :thumbup:

crazybob60
07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Doesn't the minor league season end or is nearing completion around the time the September callups happen??? If that is the case, then I say call him up around that time to at least get him the big league experience whether that be just like one game in the field and a few at bats just to get those first few out of the way for him and then give him a shot in the spring training although knowing unless he just absolutely dominates in spring training he would be in Louisville to start out the season and then around the All Star Break of next year is when you would slowly integrate him as the new Firstbaseman of the Cincy Reds for many years to come!!! That is my take on this issue!

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Why? So he can sit on the bench with Encarnacion and Denorfia?
We could have the making of a great team sitting on the bench:thumbup: