PDA

View Full Version : expanded September rosters will really help Reds

princeton
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Reds offense has been playing with one hand tied behind its back, because of the need for a 12 man pitching staff.

the Reds might be the team that stands the most to gain from roster expansion in September. If we can just get to September...

TeamBoone
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
It could hurt them as well. There's no doubt in my mind but what JN will feel it his duty to give each of them as much playing time as possible at the expense of what may be in the team's best interests.

Rojo
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
So who do we see and under what circumstances. I'd like to give a little something-something to Votto, even if he never sees the batter's box.

We should also see Brendan Harris and Abad.

Joseph
07-27-2006, 01:56 PM
It could hurt them as well. There's no doubt in my mind but what JN will feel it his duty to give each of them as much playing time as possible at the expense of what may be in the team's best interests.

He doesn't do that now though, why would he then. Now he sticks with Aurilia over EE and Ross over LaRue and Freel over Deno.

I realize all three of those are coin-flips concerning if they are in the teams best interests or not, but JN seems to just pick favorites and stick with them.

Now granted if Earl Snyder comes up then chances are his scrappiness gets into the line up and never leaves.

Danny Serafini
07-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I've been wondering about the callups myself. Anyone know Krivsky's thoughts on callups? Is he one of those guys who will only bring up a couple of guys if he has playing time for them, or does he like to bring in a ton of people and look at as many as possible? I haven't followed the Twins close enough in the past to know their philosophies on September callups.

westofyou
07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
at the expense of what may be in the team's best interests.

Like a positive winnig percentage

princeton
07-27-2006, 02:04 PM

imagine King Midas if he loved alcohol instead of gold. Then you'd have Jerry Narron:

Everything the guy touches turns to w(h)ine

dabvu2498
07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
It sounds like we also might have to wait for Louisville to play in the IL playoffs and we'll definately have to wait for Chattanooga since they've already clinched a playoff berth.

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 02:10 PM
imagine King Midas if he loved alcohol instead of gold. Then you'd have Jerry Narron:

Or Zeus in the form of gold coins dropping on the cloistered Danae; a veritable "golden shower."

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer!

:D

LincolnparkRed
07-27-2006, 03:30 PM
It sounds like we also might have to wait for Louisville to play in the IL playoffs and we'll definately have to wait for Chattanooga since they've already clinched a playoff berth.

That might be the best thing that could happen. Narron would have fewer toys to play with but then again we might see Wise twice a week.

NJReds
07-27-2006, 04:27 PM
WK can add a few more catchers to the roster.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Reds offense has been playing with one hand tied behind its back, because of the need for a 12 man pitching staff.

I blame the "need" for 3 catchers myself :D

oregonred
07-27-2006, 04:54 PM

the Reds might be the team that stands the most to gain from roster expansion in September. If we can just get to September...

Hard to believe, but the 12-man pitching staff is basically the norm these days. 3 catchers is a luxury few have.

Current active roster check of ~6 NL contending teams of immediate Reds concern shows 100% have 12 pitchers: Cards, Astros, Dbacks, Braves, Marlins, Giants.

I would submit the Reds may actually benefit less than others given lack of immediate MLB help in the upper minors and the position flexibility that guys like Freel and Aurillia offer the roster.

Highlifeman21
07-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer! Homer!

Trade him.

Homer Bailey won't make a positive contribution on the 25 man roster until probably 2008 at the earliest.

Until the kid gets rid of the manlove for his fastball, he won't have any success at the AAA or MLB levels.

I'm not sure what's bigger, Bailey's manlove for his fastball, or the manlove on this board for Bailey.

Flip a coin.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Trade him.

Homer Bailey won't make a positive contribution on the 25 man roster until probably 2008 at the earliest.

Until the kid gets rid of the manlove for his fastball, he won't have any success at the AAA or MLB levels.

I'm not sure what's bigger, Bailey's manlove for his fastball, or the manlove on this board for Bailey.

Flip a coin.

If you're basing that fastball love on the Future's game, he had a sore on his finger, and couldn't throw anything else. From what I hear is he has some nasty off-speed stuff as well, but needs to work on it more.

He has the best stuff in the organization and is absolutely dominating the minors, and is one of the best prospects in all of baseball...the Reds haven't had a pitcher do this in I don't know how long....I'm not going to trade him just to trade him.

Highlifeman21
07-27-2006, 05:13 PM
If you're basing that fastball love on the Future's game, he had a sore on his finger, and couldn't throw anything else.

He has the best stuff in the organization and is absolutely dominating the minors...the Reds haven't had a pitcher do this in I don't know how long....I'm not going to trade him just to trade him.

I'm not saying trade him just to trade him. I'm saying get us some proven MLB pitching that can help us a little sooner than later. Does anyone really think he'll make an impact for us in 2007? Krivsky has a track record of letting guys progress in each level, and not having them make big jumps. Unless Homer has a lights out ST, and dominates AAA in early 2007, I can't imagine him coming up before a 2007 Sept. call up. On his current pace, Homer Bailey is a 2008 Cincinnati Red.

Homer Bailey has good stuff, but even before the finger problem in the Futures game, he's exhibited a not so healthy manlove for his fastball, and he's slowly improving his K:BB and K:9 ratios.

Again, don't trade him just to trade him, but let's not base our future on him much like Howington or Gruler.

reds44
07-27-2006, 05:19 PM

The Reds offense is playing with one hand behind it's back because of Narron batting Clayton 2nd, having 3 catchers (only 1 of them can hit), playing Rich over Edwin, batting Rich 4th vs. RHP, and refusing to drop Griffey in the batting order. We could use another capable outfielder (not Q or Wise), but besides that we are fine.

The 12 man pitching staff is the least of the offenses worries.

reds44
07-27-2006, 05:23 PM
If you're basing that fastball love on the Future's game, he had a sore on his finger, and couldn't throw anything else. From what I hear is he has some nasty off-speed stuff as well, but needs to work on it more.

He has the best stuff in the organization and is absolutely dominating the minors, and is one of the best prospects in all of baseball...the Reds haven't had a pitcher do this in I don't know how long....I'm not going to trade him just to trade him.
I am by no means trying to say Homer won't be anything, but if what Hal told me yesterday is correct in his last start his pitch numbers looked like this:

Change-ups: 2
Breaking balls: 15 (only 5 for strikes)
The rest fastballs

I think if he can get command of his off-speed pitches he will be a great pitcher. He has time to do that in the minors, but IMO he is not ready for the majors and I was one of the people saying bring him up.

I am also afraid that he is focusing too hard on getting people out in AA, and not working on his breaking ball. He is dominating AA with his fastball and that it is it. That won't work up here.

princeton
07-27-2006, 05:26 PM
The Reds offense is playing with one hand behind it's back because of Narron...

just type yada yada yada after you write Narron's name. It's faster

Crash Davis
07-27-2006, 06:44 PM

:bowrofl:

westofyou
07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
just type yada yada yada after you write Narron's name. It's faster
Jerry Narron is to blame for global warming, warm beer and Emo.

RFS62
07-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Yeppers.

AND, he killed Kenny!!!!

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeppers.

AND, he killed Kenny!!!!

You bastard!!!

(can you say that on here? :dunno:)

Falls City Beer
07-27-2006, 07:08 PM

I long for when the field manager is the only problem with this team. Griping about Narron just misses the point.

doug flynn
07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
I am also afraid that he is focusing too hard on getting people out in AA, and not working on his breaking ball. He is dominating AA with his fastball and that it is it. That won't work up here.

We have a winner!

deltachi8
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM

Didnt you hear? Dancin Homer couldn't cut it in the bigs and he and his Baby Elephant Dance Music were sent back to the bus leagues. No way he helps the Reds at this point.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Didnt you hear? Dancin Homer couldn't cut it in the bigs and he and his Baby Elephant Dance Music were sent back to the bus leagues. No way he helps the Reds at this point.

in my head I know we should leave him down there and not do anything prematurely, but my heart says bring him up! I want to see him pitch badly!

My head is probably right.

If my heart is right, then he's a lot further along than any of us thought he would be (I think he is already).

westofyou
07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Lively up Dancin' Homer.

REDREAD
07-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Who are we going to call up though that would make a difference? I don't see any bats at Louisville that would be that useful.

princeton
07-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Who are we going to call up though that would make a difference? I don't see any bats at Louisville that would be that useful.

we need defensive replacements and pinchrunners, and their presence will allow us to use the bench that we have at earlier points in the game. Right now, because the bench is so thin, we have to save guys just in case a disaster happens. I also expect to see us add at least one bat.

Sep 1 will help most teams, but teams with 12 pitchers, three catchers, old runners, and defensive liabilities will benefit most.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 05:45 PM
we need defensive replacements and pinchrunners, and their presence will allow us to use the bench that we have at earlier points in the game. Right now, because the bench is so thin, we have to save guys just in case a disaster happens. I also expect to see us add at least one bat.

Sep 1 will help most teams, but teams with 12 pitchers, three catchers, old runners, and defensive liabilities will benefit most.

Olmedo and Bergolla will surely be up unless they are traded before Monday.