PDA

View Full Version : Germano to possibly start Saturday

TOBTTReds
07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Per Marc:

Looks like it'll be Germano

HOUSTON -- Louisville started Chris Michalak in today's game at Buffalo, paving the way for Justin Germano to start for the Reds Saturday in Milwaukee.

Blue
07-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, there goes that mystery. Good for Germano. Hopefully he can give us some good outings. Gotta hope he maintains his composure on the big stage, unlike in San Diego.

acredsfan
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
That doesn't exactly mean he is going to start, that just means he's on schedule to start. Anything could happen, maybe they are just holding Germano from his start today for insurance if a deal falls through. Just a thought, but there is nothing definite from Marc.

vic715
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
He deserves a shot. Hope he pitches his way into the 5th spot the rest of the season.

princeton
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
might be a backup plan in case the Votto/Bruce trade falls through ;)

BRM
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
might be a backup plan in case the Votto/Bruce trade falls through ;)

For Zito?

Jpup
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
For Zito?

Mark Redman and Reggie Sanders ;)

Redmachine2003
07-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I thought today was Dumatrait's day to start? Guess I was wrong

markymark69
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I have no problem with giving Germano a shot. Outside of Bailey, Germano is one I want too see. Hopefully he can be a long term answer for the rotation.

It's a big opportunity for him, the 5th spot in a rotation during a run for the post-season on the line. I realize a trade could happen or they could give the spot back to Claussen. But, I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch Saturday night.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Mark Redman and Reggie Sanders ;)

I would say that's more likely than Zito (mets have been rumored)....especially since Zito just grabbed Scott Boras to be his agent :yikes:

thatcoolguy_22
07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
i would trade make that trade for zito if oakland paid us... "one billionnn dollarssss"

Red Rover
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Who goes on the roster to make room if it is actually Germano?

BRM
07-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Who goes on the roster to make room if it is actually Germano?

Probably Denorfia. The Reds are currently working with an 11 man staff. I'm sure Jerry prefers 12.

NatiRedGals
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I believe we still have a trade left in our books

cincy jacket
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
What will happen if no other move is made to bolster the starting rotation? If Claussen comes back after this start and is the 5th starter the rest of the year and we go for the Wild Card with pretty much what we have had all year? From day one this new ownership group made a point of saying if we were in the race come the trading deadline they would do what was necessary to compete even if it ment taking on some salary. So far the only move we have made has lowered payroll and canbe argued that was more a move for the future than for this year. Will everyone feel cheated if the deadline comes and they do not do anything to shore up that last rotation spot after being promised if they were in contention that moves would be made to help?

SeeinRed
07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
What will happen if no other move is made to bolster the starting rotation? If Claussen comes back after this start and is the 5th starter the rest of the year and we go for the Wild Card with pretty much what we have had all year? From day one this new ownership group made a point of saying if we were in the race come the trading deadline they would do what was necessary to compete even if it ment taking on some salary. So far the only move we have made has lowered payroll and canbe argued that was more a move for the future than for this year. Will everyone feel cheated if the deadline comes and they do not do anything to shore up that last rotation spot after being promised if they were in contention that moves would be made to help?

This is far from the same team the Reds started with. The Bullpen is much improved, and the defense is also better off. I might even say that this Reds team has become a team that must be considered a serious playoff contender. (Knock on wood.) Not a serious WS contender, but one that could make a little noise. I think that the impressive thing is the fact that the payroll hasn't inflated from the deals, but they became closer to being contenders with each one. Add in that these deals could help now as well as in the future, and its amazing what Krivsky has done. In the past, the opposite would have happened. There is a lot of baseball to be played, but the Reds are solid enough to make a serious run.

Ltlabner
07-27-2006, 05:31 PM

No, I wouldn't feel cheated because Kriv has been very active shaping the team over the 1/2 half. With 9 or so DFAs, the moves bringing Arroyo, Phillips, Ross, Everyday Eddies, Bray and Majic have addressed needs (or attepted to depending on your perspective).

I'd like to see them adress the 5th spot without a doubt. If they aren't able to because they didn't feel they could get the right guy, or the guy they wanted was crazy overpriced then I would have no problems since I trust that Kriv is constantly on the phone. Compare that to DanO who gave the impression was sitting in his office with a slide rule, spreedsheet and little 1/2 glasses but never really doing anything. I wouldn't want them to spend wildly just to say they did it.

Now, if they come out and say they couldn't get a pitcher because of payroll limitations or because they didn't want to up payroll by a reasonable amount then yes, I would be ticked. Because the team is in contention, whether people want to beleive it or not. Whether we stay in contention is another question. And BC made it clear he'd be willing to open the pocket book if they were in contention.

redbuck
07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I like it. Germano's AAA stats are very good this year, something like 8-6 with a 3.60 ERA. That was a nice deal getting him for Randa last year. Even the sun shines on DanO's arse from time to time. OK once.

EKURed
07-28-2006, 01:12 AM
I like it. Germano's AAA stats are very good this year, something like 8-6 with a 3.60 ERA. That was a nice deal getting him for Randa last year. Even the sun shines on DanO's arse from time to time. OK once.

Actually two other times....drafting Bailey and Bruce are looking pretty good right now. Those were DanO's two #1 picks. NOT BAD.