PDA

View Full Version : You Decide: Homer Bailey in the Reds' pen for September and the playoffs?

Cyclone792
07-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Fast-forward a month, and you're at the end of August. The Reds are still in the thick of a playoff chase, and you know that playoff rosters have to be set by August 31st. Meanwhile, Homer Bailey continues to dominate AA batters down in Chattanooga, and the minor league seasons are close to wrapping up.

You remember Francisco Rodriguez in the 2002 playoffs. K-Rod, as we call him, appeared in five regular season games in 2002, totaling 5.2 innings. In the playoffs, he appeared in 11 games, totaling 18.2 innings. When it was all over, K-Rod appeared in 16 games and pitched 24.1 innings for the Angels in 2002 combined in the regular season and playoffs. You also remember that in those 18.2 playoff innings, Rodriguez was a late inning stopper and flame-thrower that none of the Angels' playoff opponents figured out.

You wonder if Homer Bailey could be that same relief stopper and bullpen flame-thrower for the Reds in 2006 that Rodriguez was for the Angels in 2002. If you're Wayne Krivsky, what do you do with Homer Bailey down the stretch?

Do you let Bailey finish the season in Chattanooga and shut him down when the AA season concludes? Or do you bring him up for the final month, get him on a playoff roster by August 31st and utilize him in the same manner that the Angels did with Rodriguez in 2002? Remember, Rodriguez pitched in 16 games, totaling 24.1 innings, so that's a ballpark neighborhood of the workload you'd be looking at for Bailey in a Reds uniform in 2006 under this scenario.

You decide.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
No way.

RedLegSuperStar
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
AA is what it's going to be.. Wayne has already stated this!

dougdirt
07-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Not a chance my friend. You let him finish up the regular season in Chattanooga, let him pitch in the playoffs for them and then say great season young man. See you in Spring Training.

Joseph
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I think Homer will never pitch from the pen in the bigs unless he is converted to a closer for some crazy reason.

TheBurn
07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
I'd let him have a taste...

as long as he's "carefully" managed.

:cool:

TeamBoone
07-28-2006, 12:41 AM
I sincerely believe that would be a mistake.

IMHO, you don't "test" your young AA phenom at the major league level when you're in the hunt for a spot in the playoffs. He could fail miserably... #1 - because he'd be nervous as all getout and #2 - minor league hitters are a whole different ball game than major league hitters.

Nope, not now; not this season.

jmcclain19
07-28-2006, 12:47 AM
20+ IP of Homer in the pen this year wouldn't be a bad idea at all IMO

guttle11
07-28-2006, 12:52 AM
AA for the rest of the year. Go to Camp next year with him in the minors, let his performance there determine where he starts next year, AAA or Cincy.

kheidg-
07-28-2006, 02:11 AM
I wouldn't be against a few starts this season at AAA. Let him have a couple more at AA then move him to AAA if he continues to dominate.

TeamSelig
07-28-2006, 05:25 AM
Maybe give him a small cup of coffee and if he pitches awesome, give him a spot on the playoff roster. Who knows, with the lack of scouting, maybe he tears up the playoffs and we win a few games?

StillFunkyB
07-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Finish in Chatt this year, playoffs and all.

Start the first month of the season in AAA next year, and if after a couple of starts or 3 he is doing the same thing in Louisville, you get him up here.

puca
07-28-2006, 08:34 AM
It would be so, so tempting...

I think about KRod....but then I think about Rick Ankiel...

Maybe as a reliever, but not a starter...

Maybe if I trusted my manager enough...

puca
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
I think Homer will never pitch from the pen in the bigs unless he is converted to a closer for some crazy reason.

I have always liked the idea of breaking young starters in the bullpen. A good 1/2 season in middle/long relief seems like a great idea. Allows the kid to work out his jitters in a more controlled environment.

07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I say absolutely no to a call up this year, and shut him down after his season.

Don't need another Wayne Simpson type story.

zombie-a-go-go
07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
No way.

You want to talk about shattering a pitcher's confidence? Let him blow, in relief, a NLDS game that kicks the Reds out of the postseason.

The (Jones/Furman) fans will hate him.

GoReds
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Homer is kinda driving this discussion, isn't he? It's nice to have a pitching prospect bumping his head on the ceiling - sure is a new experience for the Reds.

I like the idea of calling him up and sticking him in the bullpen in August - of '07.

The best case scenario is K-Rod. But, if that even occurs, does that change his path to make him a reliever permanently? I want Homer to be a starter and putting him in high pressure situations and watching him succeed doesn't not keep him on that path.

The worst case, of course, is too much stress on the arm and some sort of elbow/shoulder problem from overthrowing. Although I think he's less inclined to do this than Howington was, he's only an injury away from taking that path.

IMO, the risks far outweigh the possible gains at this point.

TheBigLebowski
07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
What an ironic name for a pitcher to have.

Leave him in AA. No question.

We gave up two members of our starting lineup (one a former All Star and one who is possibly a future all star) to improve our bullpen this season. It's up to those guys to get it done.

Highlifeman21
07-28-2006, 10:20 AM
You forgot a 4th option on that poll:

Trade Homer Bailey

Since you left that option off the poll, I just had to go with let him rot in AA and end up a bust, aka Howington or Gruler.

M2
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I picked B, based on my "Why the hell not" stance regarding the 2006 Reds. This year's so bizarre who knows what might work.

RFS62
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I'd say it totally depends on how he's progressing with his breaking stuff by the end of the year.

I'm not totally against it, but we have to think he'll help if we're still in the hunt. Not as a reward.

Unassisted
07-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Where's the "Let Krivsky Decide" option? I hate the idea of Homer in a Reds uniform in 2006, unless Wayne decides to do it. If Krivsky's in favor of it, then I love it. :evil:

redsfanmia
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Homer should not be called up until atleast 2011. No need to start his arbitration clock until his prime years IMO.

Aronchis
07-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I picked B, based on my "Why the hell not" stance regarding the 2006 Reds. This year's so bizarre who knows what might work.

Bizarre isn't the word for it. The National League is a disaster zone this year. The Reds don't feel any different than 2002 or 2004, yet they are in the lead for a playoff spot. Simply whacky.

Hoosier Red
07-29-2006, 12:27 AM
I wait until after the AA season is over and then call him up to be on the 40 man. I'd probably just let him sit on the bench for the most part but, I'd like for him to see what a team preparing for the post season feels and looks like first hand.

Just a clarification, if he's called up in September it likely wouldn't start his arbitration clock correct?

Caveat Emperor
07-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Bizarre isn't the word for it. The National League is a disaster zone this year. The Reds don't feel any different than 2002 or 2004, yet they are in the lead for a playoff spot. Simply whacky.

Difference is clearly pitching...This year there are two bona-fide quality starting pitchers in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Elizardo Ramirez isn't great, but he looks like he'll be a consistent 4.00-ish ERA guy this year legitimately. It's not a smoke-and-mirrors job the way Wilson/Acevedo/Lidle/Harang was in 2004.

They pitch well 3 games out of 5, and they hit well. That'll win you some ballgames, especially when the competition level is crap.

Phhhl
07-29-2006, 12:32 AM
If this club had any kind of young pitching depth, I would want to bring up Homer. But, let's face it, he is IT. He's practically the only "IT" we have had in my lifetime, and I am almost 40 years old. I get choked up just thinking about that kid dominating major league hitters in a Reds uniform, and leading a good Reds pitching staff and pitching in post season games at times over the next decade. I fantasize him pulling a Jose Rijo and dominating a great offense in the World Series on behalf of my beloved Reds. I desperately want that to happen, and anything that could impede that dream is not worth the risk.

Bringing him up now and having him overthrow trying to hard, injuring his arm or just getting shell shocked when he loses a few mental battles with great hitters... I hate to say it, but this season is not worth that risk.

Let him come to spring training next year and show he is ready. If he is, ESPN is going to be singing the praises of the Reds big three all season long. Heck, it might even be 4 or 5 by then. Then, this team will truly be prepared to fulfill their destiny.

Aronchis
07-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Difference is clearly pitching...This year there are two bona-fide quality starting pitchers in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang. Elizardo Ramirez isn't great, but he looks like he'll be a consistent 4.00-ish ERA guy this year legitimately. It's not a smoke-and-mirrors job the way Wilson/Acevedo/Lidle/Harang was in 2004.

They pitch well 3 games out of 5, and they hit well. That'll win you some ballgames, especially when the competition level is crap.

What you don't miss Ricky Stone?;)

Why do I have the feeling Claussen and Bailey are Krivsky's big "deadline" pickups sadly enough?

Cedric
07-29-2006, 12:47 AM

It doesn't feel any different to you only maybe.

Some good research done on the free board by Playdlc shows different.

2004 Reds at the end of July
RS 480
RA 567

2006 Reds at the end of July
RS 515
RA 524