PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn: Where have you been all my life?

5TimeWSChamps
07-27-2006, 10:59 PM
His transformation the 2nd half of the year has been nothing short of astounding. He looks like an entirely different hitter. Chambliss may have uncorked a .270 hitting run producing machine. 71 RBI's on the team now, 4 tonight
7 straight hits.

Way to go Adam

:dunn:

Joseph
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Lets not forget our boy Adam hit something crazy like 321 the year he was called up.

I'm thrilled to see the slugger grow up into a hitter. I bet he still hits 45 HRs a season even though he's not trying to do it as often anymore.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Lets not forget our boy Adam hit something crazy like 321 the year he was called up.

I'm thrilled to see the slugger grow up into a hitter. I bet he still hits 45 HRs a season even though he's not trying to do it as often anymore.

I believe so too.

By ya know....he will ALWAYS have his critics ;)

crazybob60
07-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Next thing you know he will be leading the league in sacrafice flies. Now if that would ever happen...then you would know he has really turned the corner on possibly most everything he was working on, but I am really pleased to see him actually start to improve upon that average. Makes me really happy!!!!

Team Clark
07-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Next thing you know he will be leading the league in sacrafice flies. Now if that would ever happen...then you would know he has really turned the corner on possibly most everything he was working on, but I am really pleased to see him actually start to improve upon that average. Makes me really happy!!!!

Most of his Sac Flies end up in the Moon Decks! LOL!:laugh:

Brutus
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I heart Adam Dunn.

Seriously, I have been critical of his run-scoring production in the past (or arguably, lack thereof) as well as his ability (or inability) to get hits that don't just leave the yard, but he is becoming a complete hitter.

He has been more aggressive at the plate. He's been hitting to all fields, at least with more consistency. And he's also cut down on his strikeouts and he's putting the ball in play.

He's truly a great hitter right now. I hope this becomes the norm for him.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
I think it might have a little bit to do with Kearns being gone. Might have made him get down to it and focus a little bit more. But that's just a guess. I hope to see him keep it up.

Unassisted
07-27-2006, 11:38 PM
The Astros announcers were very impressed that he reached base 9 consecutive times in this series.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
The Astros announcers were very impressed that he reached base 9 consecutive times in this series.

His OBP had to shoot up a little bit during this series....that's for sure.

CTA513
07-27-2006, 11:40 PM
I think Dunn started hitting better once he switched to a lighter bat.

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Adam has always been right here ;)

MaineRed
07-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Isn't it fun to see a current Red, reaching base 9 straight times and then getting to shake hands with Billy Hatcher?

If you don't know what I am talking about, you probably are too young to remember the 1990 World Series.

Nice job Dunner!

flyer85
07-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I wonder if BF is saying the same :mooner:

VR
07-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I think Dunn started hitting better once he switched to a lighter bat.

Bingo
About a month ago he got really fed up when he was around .221. He was frustrated at the shift, and started trying to hit everything to left. At the same time, he switched to a lighter bat and started taking a crazy amount of bp.
Since then he's popping about .370. The turn around is not about luck, it's about Adam working his butt off. Kudos to him.
(maybe he'll do the same for his fielding soon ;) )

Wyatt Earp
07-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Didn't TC say this would happen in about 100 ab's now that Austin is gone and he is working with Griffey?

gonelong
07-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Dunn's 2003-2005 splits have him as a .275 hitter in July. It's historically a pretty good month for him. He has a .235 average over the same 3 year split, in August. Hopefully he can retain the hot hand.

GL

kyred14
07-28-2006, 12:30 AM
It was only a matter of time.....

SteelSD
07-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Adam has always been right here ;)

In more ways that one...

2004: .266 BA/.388 OBP/.569 SLG
2006: .261 BA/.388 OBP/.566 SLG

Scary. His BABIP is normalizing, his RISP BA is normalizing and suddenly he's got a ton of fans who don't seem to realize he's put up these numbers before- traditional Run production, K's (he's on pace for more than last season), and all.

Yet, he stunk when he was doing it before, but now he's great. :dunno:

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2006, 12:43 AM
In more ways that one...

Scary. His BABIP is normalizing, his RISP BA is normalizing and suddenly he's got a ton of fans who don't seem to realize he's put up these numbers before- traditional Run production, K's (he's on pace for more than last season), and all.

OK, Throw the damn stats away and watch him. When has Dunn ever shown the plate discipline and the ability to just hit the ball moreso then he has since after the All Star Break. He is getting basehits. I watched him earlier in the year and was fuming that he had more HR's' then Singles but WATCHING HIM PLAY, he is a better hitter now then he's been before.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Didn't TC say this would happen in about 100 ab's now that Austin is gone and he is working with Griffey?

It started happening before the All-Star break, when Kearns was still with the team.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2006, 12:46 AM
I think they're talking about his outstanding July:

.333/ .404/ .536/ .940 is almost as unreal as his April (which was among his best months ever). More than that, however, is the approach Dunn is taking. He's hitting the ball to all fields, instead of trying to bust it through three infielders. He's willing to rake a single the other way, rather than pull everything. Sure, some of his pop has lessened, but he's been lights out since July 1.

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2006, 12:48 AM
I think they're talking about his outstanding July:

.333/ .404/ .536/ .940 is almost as unreal as his April (which was among his best months ever). More than that, however, is the approach Dunn is taking. He's hitting the ball to all fields, instead of trying to bust it through three infielders. He's willing to rake a single the other way, rather than pull everything. Sure, some of his pop has lessened, but he's been lights out since July 1.

Exactly, I know the damn stats; but in this case, the stats don't tell the story. Dunn is finally having Major League At-Bats, which is what I used to see from Griffey all the time before this latest slump. He still has his power, but now he's not waiting on the perfect pitch; he has FINALLY adjusted his philosophy at the plate, and now that he sees results, hopefully it will be a turn in the right direction for awhile.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:49 AM
OK, Throw the damn stats away and watch him. When has Dunn ever shown the plate discipline and the ability to just hit the ball moreso then he has since after the All Star Break. He is getting basehits. I watched him earlier in the year and was fuming that he had more HR's' then Singles but WATCHING HIM PLAY, he is a better hitter now then he's been before.

First of all, Dunn has shown plate discipline ever since he was drafted by the Reds.

Secondly, I promise you that SteelSD watches every game he can. He also happens to look at the objective numbers and analyze what he is seeing. He does it very well.

Exactly, I know the damn stats; but in this case, the stats don't tell the story. Dunn is finally having Major League At-Bats, which is what I used to see from Griffey all the time before this latest slump. He still has his power, but now he's not waiting on the perfect pitch; he has FINALLY adjusted his philosophy at the plate, and now that he sees results, hopefully it will be a turn in the right direction for awhile.

The stats do tell the story.

Dunn has always had "major league at-bats." Plenty of major leaguers are late-count hitters like Dunn. Jim Thome, Troy Glaus, Mike Schmidt, and Reggie Jackson are a just few examples of guys who had "major league at-bats" like Dunn.

The Baumer
07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
In more ways that one...

http://www.sunsetwestproductions.com/rain.gif

+

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/gov/uploaded_images/parade-767654.jpg

=

http://www.pronews.com/images/high_five.gif

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2006, 12:52 AM
First of all, Dunn has shown plate discipline ever since he was drafted by the Reds.

Secondly, I promise you that SteelSD watches every game he can. He also happens to look at the objective numbers and analyze what he is seeing. He does it very well.

If by Plate discipline, you mean watching every single pitch just outside of his sweet spot go by, then you would be correct. When has he ever attacked the outside pitch like he has been now? I'm sure SteelSD knows his stuff, but I'm not talking about the stats here. He is finally hitting from the whole strike zone instead of waiting for fastballs that he can take 3 hacks at and either sit down or round the bases.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by SteelSD

Hmmm, I believe the reason people are rejoicing is because lately he hasn't been K'ing much and his average has skyrocketed. Just 2 K's in the last 18 ab's, and those were not in the same game! How many stretches has he had like that? :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:57 AM
If by Plate discipline, you mean watching every single pitch just outside of his sweet spot go by, then you would be correct. When has he ever attacked the outside pitch like he has been now? I'm sure SteelSD knows his stuff, but I'm not talking about the stats here. He is finally hitting from the whole strike zone instead of waiting for fastballs that he can take 3 hacks at and either sit down or round the bases.

Plate discipline means having the patience to lay off the pitcher's pitch *even if it's in the strike zone* and wait for one you can handle. Dunn's on a streak right now where he's seeing the ball well and is able to handle more pitches. It's great, and I'm enjoying it, but I know that it's a streak, and players go through streaks and slumps. The thing about Dunn is, he's able to remain productive even when he's slumping, thanks to his plate discipline.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Hmmm, I believe the reason people are rejoicing is because lately he hasn't been K'ing much and his average has skyrocketed. Just 2 K's in the last 18 ab's, and those were not in the same game! How many stretches has he had like that? :thumbup:

If you break him down from month to month, he's actually K'ing at about the same rate in July as he was in April, May, and June. His walk rate has dropped, but he's managed to replace those BBs with hits.

PS - He was better in April than he has been in July.

Month AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

April 83 25 22 2 0 9 17 25 1 33 0 0 .265 .432 .614 1.046
May 99 13 21 8 0 8 15 17 0 26 1 0 .212 .328 .535 .863
June 95 19 21 3 0 9 20 22 0 32 0 0 .221 .368 .537 .905
July 84 12 28 5 0 4 15 9 1 24 3 0 .333 .404 .536 .940

Wheelhouse
07-28-2006, 01:08 AM
His transformation the 2nd half of the year has been nothing short of astounding. He looks like an entirely different hitter. Chambliss may have uncorked a .270 hitting run producing machine. 71 RBI's on the team now, 4 tonight
7 straight hits.

Way to go Adam

Call it more day to day work. Maybe god ol buddy o lets hang out Kearns being traded was good for Adam...

TeamBoone
07-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Like someone else said, he started hitting better before the AS break... before Austin was traded.

And, someone said he's started working with Griffey... hasn't he pretty much always worked with Griffey?

The Baumer
07-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Posted on the ESPN:

Adam Dunn went 3-for-3 with a home run and two walks in the Reds' 8-4 win over the Astros. It was Dunn's second consecutive "perfect night" at the plate; he went 4-for-4 on Wednesday night. Dunn was 3-for-3 or better only once in 732 previous career starts and that was in 2002.

See, he did this before!! In 2002!! Why do people think this is such a big deal?

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Posted on the ESPN:

See, he did this before!! In 2002!! Why do people think this is such a big deal?

:laugh: :beerme:

KronoRed
07-28-2006, 02:39 AM
He's (I'm serious) claiming that Dunn is already starting to cool off and he only got hot in Houston because he wants to play there.

cincyinco
07-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Isn't it fun to see a current Red, reaching base 9 straight times and then getting to shake hands with Billy Hatcher?

If you don't know what I am talking about, you probably are too young to remember the 1990 World Series.

Nice job Dunner!

I remember it perfectly, and I was 10. :) Adam has done really well, his average is on the rise, lets hope he keeps it up. Its still a relatively small sample. Lets hope good habits stick, and bad habits done rear their ugly head again.

StillFunkyB
07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
We need to add this smiley:

http://www.misfitcomics.biz/forums/images/smilies/emot-bandwagon.gif

terminator
07-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Well, he had a similar stretch last year when he was the Player of the Month in July: .278 11 HR 31 RBI in July of 2005

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
7 straight hits.

Way to go Adam

Maybe Chambliss and the other coaches didn't "screw him up" after all :)

lollipopcurve
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
If what I've heard is correct, his hot streak has coincided closely with a switch to a lighter bat. It looks like he's able to wait a fraction longer and trust his hands now -- a good thing.

Does anyone know exactly when he started using the lighter bat?

It's quite possible that the decrease in BBs is related to his being in the #2 spot, backed by Griffey. When he was lower in the lineup, it made more sense to pitch around him.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Yet, he stunk when he was doing it before, but now he's great.

Steel, how do you explain his switch to a lighter bat coinciding with his hot streak? Is it random? Is it simply a spike in confidence? Or, do you see him showing something different at the plate? From my point of view, he's using more of the field and doing a much better job of hitting with 2 strikes. If true, one would think the lighter bat is having a positive effect by giving him a little better bat control.

I don't track the guy game by game or AB by AB, but maybe you do and would have the hit charts or 2-strike AB numbers to flesh this out a little....

RANDY IN INDY
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I am very pleased with what I am seeing with Dunn. He has been driving the ball the opposite way when pitched away, and doing it with power. His approach looks totally different right now, and if he keeps it up, he is going to turn into a real monster. Yeah, I know, some of you will stubbornly say he already is a monster, but what I am seeing is exactly what I have hoped to see the young man start doing at the plate. I am very pleased and hope it continues.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
I am very pleased with what I am seeing with Dunn. He has been driving the ball the opposite way when pitched away, and doing it with power. His approach looks totally different right now, and if he keeps it up, he is going to turn into a real monster. Yeah, I know, some of you will stubbornly say he already is a monster, but what I am seeing is exactly what I have hoped to see the young man start doing at the plate. I am very pleased and hope it continues.

I couldn't agree more, he is just different at the moment! Let's hope it's just not a flukey blip on the screen. The year end stats may bear it out if correct.

gonelong
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
This thread reminds me of an 80's movie where the obviously hot girl dressed down in bib overalls, pigtails, and glasses shows up at the prom in a dress, a hairdo, some makeup and contacts and is smokin' hot.

The beauty has always been there.

GL

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
7 straight hits.

Way to go Adam

Some body posted an interesting comment about how Dunn would thrive with AK out of the picture, could it be that Ak was somewhat of an underachieving cancer to the team, and needed to be traded.

Cyclone792
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Steel, how do you explain his switch to a lighter bat coinciding with his hot streak? Is it random? Is it simply a spike in confidence? Or, do you see him showing something different at the plate? From my point of view, he's using more of the field and doing a much better job of hitting with 2 strikes. If true, one would think the lighter bat is having a positive effect by giving him a little better bat control.

I don't track the guy game by game or AB by AB, but maybe you do and would have the hit charts or 2-strike AB numbers to flesh this out a little....

The lighter bat and a new approach is playing some role; I don't think there's any way to deny it's had some positive effect on Dunn. Dunn's LD% is significantly higher now than it was just a few weeks ago. IIRC, his LD% was about 21 percent, and now it's up over 24 percent. That's a huge increase in just a few weeks. As you can probably guess, line drives work wonders for a batting average and collecting singles and doubles. FWIW, the league average for LD% is ~19-20 percent. Dunn made an adjustment by switching to the lighter bat, and so far it's helped.

BABIP normalization is also occuring, though, and it's important to recognize that. Less than a month ago Dunn's BABIP had dipped all the way down below .240. Now it's up to .294 after last night. Undoubtedly, there are batted balls of all types recently off Dunn's bat - line drives, fly balls and ground balls - that have been missing gloves now that were being turned into outs two months ago. That's just the standard progression of BABIP, and we're seeing it come full circle on Dunn now.

Now, throw all the above into a big pot and mix well, and I'm not too surprised about Dunn's recent surge. However, going 7-7 with 12 bases, two walks and zero outs in nine plate appearances the last two games is even beyond anything anybody could expect. ;)

lollipopcurve
07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Dunn's LD% is significantly higher now than it was just a few weeks ago. IIRC, his LD% was about 21 percent, and now it's up over 24 percent. That's a huge increase in just a few weeks. As you can probably guess, line drives work wonders for a batting average and collecting singles and doubles. FWIW, the league average for LD% is ~19-20 percent. Dunn made an adjustment by switching to the lighter bat, and so far it's helped.

Interesting. I'm also curious about his hit chart -- has he been pulling less than before?

Brutus
07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story. Do you think major league teams - even the ones that rely heavily on the Sabermetric statistics, pick a player up simply based on stats? Why do teams send scouts out? There still has to be faith in what a player is doing mechanically or what he's capable of doing.

In this case, you can't just look at Adam Dunn's statistics, look at the amount of people rejoicing over what he's done at that plate, and say, 'yawn... we've seen this before.'

The fact is, anyone actually watching Dunn sees a completely different hitter. Forget the stats for a second, this is not the same Adam Dunn at the plate we've seen in the past. I see a whole new hitter and others see it too. This is a situation where you have to step outside the world of stats-only and recognize the dynamic of what's going on in the batter's box itself.

This might come across the wrong way and some people don't want to hear this... but Adam Dunn this past month has been a better hitter because he's not so willing to simply hit a home run or draw a walk. There are very valuable ways to contribute in baseball (sometimes better) than just drawing a walk.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Some body posted an interesting comment about how Dunn would thrive with AK out of the picture, could it be that Ak was somewhat of an underachieving cancer to the team, and needed to be traded.

Somebody also posted that Dunn started hitting better before the All-Star break, when Kearns was still with the team.

If you're looking for a cause, it coincides better with his move to the 2-spot in the lineup that with the Kearns/Lopez trade. I assume he switched to a lighter bat right around that same time.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story. Do you think major league teams - even the ones that rely heavily on the Sabermetric statistics, pick a player up simply based on stats? Why do teams send scouts out? There still has to be faith in what a player is doing mechanically or what he's capable of doing.

In this case, you can't just look at Adam Dunn's statistics, look at the amount of people rejoicing over what he's done at that plate, and say, 'yawn... we've seen this before.'

The fact is, anyone actually watching Dunn sees a completely different hitter. Forget the stats for a second, this is not the same Adam Dunn at the plate we've seen in the past. I see a whole new hitter and others see it too. This is a situation where you have to step outside the world of stats-only and recognize the dynamic of what's going on in the batter's box itself.

This might come across the wrong way and some people don't want to hear this... but Adam Dunn this past month has been a better hitter because he's not so willing to simply hit a home run or draw a walk. There are very valuable ways to contribute in baseball (sometimes better) than just drawing a walk.

As I pointed out -- Adam Dunn was more productive in April than he has been in July.

RedsManRick
07-28-2006, 12:38 PM
By Batting Order AB AVG OBP SLG OPS
Batting #2 78 .346 .420 .641 1.061
Batting #3 71 .197 .305 .549 .854
Batting #4 119 .218 .361 .479 .840
Batting #5 80 .263 .429 .513 .942
Batting #6 13 .308 .438 1.000 1.438

Sorry... don't know to post the HTML... I think you get the idea....

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
As I pointed out -- Adam Dunn was more productive in April than he has been in July.
That may be true based on some metrics, but I'll take his July over his April all the time.

Fact is, they're winning in both months, so I'm not going to fret over which month was better.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 12:48 PM
That may be true based on some metrics, but I'll take his July over his April all the time.

Really? Why?

He made a lot fewer outs and he slugged like crazy in April. Would you trade that for a few less K's, a lot less walks, and a few more singles? I wouldn't.

Cyclone792
07-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I'm also curious about his hit chart -- has he been pulling less than before?

Thanks to wonderful FSN not televising the bulk of our first homestand after the ASB, I haven't seen much of Dunn's PAs since then other than what I saw in the Astros series. By my observation in just a handful of games, he seems to be hitting more fly balls and line drives from left center around to right instead of primarily right field. That's just a perception from observation, though, and I'm not sure how much his hit chart has changed in the past few weeks.

FWIW, here is his 2006 GABP hit chart:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_hitting_chart.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=276055&statType=1

M2
07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
A) I'm glad Dunn's concentrated on going the other way more often and that he's shifted to a lighter bat. People seemingly forgot that Dunn went the other quite well in the minors (where he hit .304).

B) Doesn't look like Dunn's expanding his strikezone at all to me. He's just doing a better job of hitting pitches in his zone and protecting a bit better with two strikes. Those have always been the areas where Dunn could (and should strive to) improve.

C) That Dunn's BA would improve from the lows it hit a month ago was so predictable that scores of posters here actually predicted it. I think the work he's been putting in on his swing certainly has helped in terms of a rapid turnaound, but Dunn's always put in a lot of work into his hitting and his BA was going to rise come hell or high water. So were his RISP stats, where he'd been doing plenty of damage in previous years.

D) Putting Dunn in a higher lineup slot where pitchers can't feed him as much junk has certainly helped him find a groove.

E) I'm glad to hear that Reds fans are enjoying Adam Dunn in apparently greater numbers. I've never understood why a talented, productive, hard-working, good-natured young player like Dunn had so many fans of the team gnashing their teeth.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Really? Why?

He made a lot fewer outs and he slugged like crazy in April. Would you trade that for a few less K's, a lot less walks, and a few more singles? I wouldn't.
April OBP: .432
July OBP: .434

How is he making more outs???

I'd trade fewer K's for more RBI any day.

Brutus
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Really? Why?

Actually, he has a higher OBP in July than he did in April by .002 despite drawing fewer walks.

He's made fewer outs in July than April as well by five.

Yes, he's got a slightly smaller OPS (1.047-1.021) because of the fewer home runs, but with everything equal, I'll take the higher batting average, more runs driven in and a more aggressive hitter provided he doesn't become Jeff Francouer any day of the week. When you're getting a hit instead of walking, you have the chance to drive in the runs for yourself and advance runners more than one base at a time. Clearly this doesn't mean someone who takes a lot of walks is a bad player, it just means hitting is still better than walking in most situations.... getting a hit > walks > getting outs.

Just for good measure, Dunn has stolen 3 bases in July, although that's not exactly a huge difference, just adding to his stellar month. His K's are down from 33 to 24 with having four more at-bats.

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone792
The lighter bat and a new approach is playing some role; I don't think there's any way to deny it's had some positive effect on Dunn. Dunn's LD% is significantly higher now than it was just a few weeks ago. IIRC, his LD% was about 21 percent, and now it's up over 24 percent. That's a huge increase in just a few weeks. As you can probably guess, line drives work wonders for a batting average and collecting singles and doubles. FWIW, the league average for LD% is ~19-20 percent. Dunn made an adjustment by switching to the lighter bat, and so far it's helped.

BABIP normalization is also occuring, though, and it's important to recognize that. Less than a month ago Dunn's BABIP had dipped all the way down below .240. Now it's up to .294 after last night. Undoubtedly, there are batted balls of all types recently off Dunn's bat - line drives, fly balls and ground balls - that have been missing gloves now that were being turned into outs two months ago. That's just the standard progression of BABIP, and we're seeing it come full circle on Dunn now.

Now, throw all the above into a big pot and mix well, and I'm not too surprised about Dunn's recent surge. However, going 7-7 with 12 bases, two walks and zero outs in nine plate appearances the last two games is even beyond anything anybody could expect.

Well put Cyclone. Just curious though what's an average BABIP? Should it be a higher average for a guy like Dunner that hits so many out of the park?

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Really? Why?

If he's driving in runs towards the end of the season, I will take July, August, or September to ANY other month.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 01:18 PM
E) I'm glad to hear that Reds fans are enjoying Adam Dunn in apparently greater numbers. I've never understood why a talented, productive, hard-working, good-natured young player like Dunn had so many fans of the team gnashing their teeth.

Couldn't agree more M2. As I've postulated several times, I think people see a big guy physicially and create certian expectations around that. Toss in that they think he shouldn't walk back to the clubhouse a certian way, or should freak out after every K and you end up with the gnashing.

Nothing impresses me more than a person with raw tallent but is willing to work to improve. Evidence Dunners extra work in the batting cage, williningness to try something different (lighter bat) and his general "stick-to-itness". He could have just as easily said forget this earlier in the year and demanded a trade as other teams often refered to him as a batting threat even in the darkest hours of his slump.

CTA513
07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
He's (I'm serious) claiming that Dunn is already starting to cool off and he only got hot in Houston because he wants to play there.

BF talks about Dunn so much I wouldnt be surprised if hes stalking him.

:evil:

M2
07-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Modern baseball doesn't work that way. Actually RBIs tend to follow guys who whiff a lot and run away from guys who don't.

Dunn's on pace to whiff 180+ times this season. He's also on pace to set a new personal RBI record (110+) and become the first Reds player to top the 100-RBI mark three years running since George Foster in 1976-78.

The franchise record is four consecutive seasons held by Johnny Bench (1972-75) and Ted Kluszewski (1953-56).

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
BF talks about Dunn so much I wouldnt be surprised if hes stalking him.

:evil:

BF and Dunn.....

Reds44 and EE....

Have they ever posted in the room at the same time?

Very interesting.... :p:

danwl
07-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Daag, if we can't get along when they guy is on base every time he gets up, when can we get along? There's no dispute here, really. Everybody agrees that different performances can put up similar statistical profiles (lies, damn lies, statistics). Everybody agrees that if your statistics were good enough, you could differentiate between performances that were similar on some other statistical measures.

The point is that Dunn is smokin' hot right now! Let's enjoy the ride. When was the last time you saw a 275 pound guy steal a base? (275!) That is like Ichiro and Kazmir together! Well, not quite, but it pretty much IS two Wee Willie Keelers. But seriously, is there a heavier position player in MLB than 275? The guy has THIRTY pounds on David Wells.

Roy Tucker
07-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't think his recent hot streak can be completely chalked up to "returning to statistical norms". I do think Dunn's hitting approach has subtly changed.

And, there is also the TC2-reported come to Jesus talk that Narron had with Adam. Baseball players are carbon-based units and prone to human foibles. Sometimes they need a talking-to just like all the rest of us.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Modern baseball doesn't work that way. Actually RBIs tend to follow guys who whiff a lot and run away from guys who don't.

Dunn's on pace to whiff 180+ times this season. He's also on pace to set a new personal RBI record (110+) and become the first Reds player to top the 100-RBI mark three years running since George Foster in 1976-78.

The franchise record is four consecutive seasons held by Johnny Bench (1972-75) and Ted Kluszewski (1953-56).
I know, I know... I was just pooping on Johnny's cornflakes because Dunn's not making more outs in July than he did in April.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:34 PM
The guy has THIRTY pounds on David Wells.
If you're only measuring Wells' left leg.

Brutus
07-28-2006, 01:36 PM

M2, you're kind of contradicting yourself a tad.

I understand your point, and maybe it has some validity.

But first you say that RBI's tend to follow guys who whiff a lot and run away from guys who don't, and then you say he's now on pace to set a personal RBI record - but remember at one time this season (when fans were frustrated with him), he wasn't even driving in twice as many RBI's as he was hitting homers. That was back when he was hitting .220ish and had like 20 some home runs but 40 RBI's.

Now all of the sudden, he's on pace to drive in a personal best for RBI's... and it's coming when he's walking less, striking out less, but he's hitting for a higher average and putting the ball in play. See a correlation there?

So while you say the RBI's tend to follow guys who whiff a lot, your citing Dunn is on pace for a personal high in RBI's is the point people are making with his recent hot streak - he's driving more runs in when given these opportunities. He's got a higher average, striking out less and now he's got more RBI's this month than his other months. I really don't think that's a coincidence.

Cyclone792
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Well put Cyclone. Just curious though what's an average BABIP? Should it be a higher average for a guy like Dunner that hits so many out of the park?

The MLB average for BABIP is in the .290-.300 range, and that's the same for both hitters and pitchers. In general, power hitters such as Adam Dunn may tend to hit for a slightly higher BABIP since they also tend to hit the ball harder than non-power hitters. That's just a rough generalization that's not always true, however, and I'm not certain what type of BABIP difference there'd be.

When Dunn hit .266 in 2004, his BABIP was .321. Last season when he hit .247, his BABIP was only .281. Right now he's hitting ..261, and his BABIP is .294.

ochre
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM

Dunn is using his secret language

VR
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Nice assessment M2.....

A) I'm glad Dunn's concentrated on going the other way more often and that he's shifted to a lighter bat. People seemingly forgot that Dunn went the other quite well in the minors (where he hit .304).

In two at-bats last night, Adam peered out into left field while settling into his stance. While he didn't hit that way, it was nice to see he's thinking that way. Maybe the improved quickness of the bat to the zone has increased his confi

B) Doesn't look like Dunn's expanding his strikezone at all to me. He's just doing a better job of hitting pitches in his zone and protecting a bit better with two strikes. Those have always been the areas where Dunn could (and should strive to) improve.
I think that is the key. It's hard to say he doesn't have a great eye (although I think he guesses a bit), but you can't have the same approach on 0-0 as 0-2... it seems Adam has worked to change that.

C) That Dunn's BA would improve from the lows it hit a month ago was so predictable that scores of posters here actually predicted it. I think the work he's been putting in on his swing certainly has helped in terms of a rapid turnaound, but Dunn's always put in a lot of work into his hitting and his BA was going to rise come hell or high water. So were his RISP stats, where he'd been doing plenty of damage in previous years.
The key will be consistency at that high level, not the ups and downs of years past.

D) Putting Dunn in a higher lineup slot where pitchers can't feed him as much junk has certainly helped him find a groove. bingo

I've always enjoyed Adam, and appreciated his value and amazing contributions. I just think he was content being a B+ player, when he could be at the uber-elite level. The lazy, occasional laid back attitude bugs me sometimes, but certainly shouldn't be cause to bash the guy for what he has brought to the team for 4 years.

VR
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
The MLB average for BABIP is in the .290-.300 range, and that's the same for both hitters and pitchers. In general, power hitters such as Adam Dunn may tend to hit for a slightly higher BABIP since they also tend to hit the ball harder than non-power hitters. That's just a rough generalization that's not always true, however, and I'm not certain what type of BABIP difference there'd be.

When Dunn hit .266 in 2004, his BABIP was .321. Last season when he hit .247, his BABIP was only .281. Right now he's hitting ..261, and his BABIP is .294.

I guess that lends the question for both hitter and pitchers....is BABIP random? Is there rational behind a long stretch of higher or lower BABIP other than chance?

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
I guess that lends the question for both hitter and pitchers....is BABIP random? Is there rational behind a long stretch of higher or lower BABIP other than chance?
Hitting the ball harder or getting luckier.

If GB% remains high and BABIP increases (rarely happens), it's mostly luck. If LD% or FB% increases, then it's at least partially hitting better/harder. Ineither case, it's still some part "hitting it where they ain't."

M2
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
M2, you're kind of contradicting yourself a tad.

I understand your point, and maybe it has some validity.

But first you say that RBI's tend to follow guys who whiff a lot and run away from guys who don't, and then you say he's now on pace to set a personal RBI record - but remember at one time this season (when fans were frustrated with him), he wasn't even driving in twice as many RBI's as he was hitting homers. That was back when he was hitting .220ish and had like 20 some home runs but 40 RBI's.

Now all of the sudden, he's on pace to drive in a personal best for RBI's... and it's coming when he's walking less, striking out less, but he's hitting for a higher average and putting the ball in play. See a correlation there?

So while you say the RBI's tend to follow guys who whiff a lot, your citing Dunn is on pace for a personal high in RBI's is the point people are making with his recent hot streak - he's driving more runs in when given these opportunities. He's got a higher average, striking out less and now he's got more RBI's this month than his other months. I really don't think that's a coincidence.

No contradiction whatsoever. You get 162 games to collect your season stats and every player will have peaks and valleys inside of that. Point is that Dunn's on pace to crack the single-season top 10 for whiffs this year and yet he's driving in more runs than ever.

The correlation I see between Dunn and RBIs (and this goes for every player in the sum total history of baseball) is SLG and RBIs. He drove in 31 runs last July (.701 SLG).

Not putting him in the lower part of the lineup also helps his RBI totals, because he isn't getting pitched around in RBI situations as often ... but that's tangential to Ks/RBIs.

Point is that in modern baseball players with big swings produce higher SLGs and it nets them more RBIs over the long haul. It also nets them more Ks. People jump to weird conclusions when they obsess about generally meaningless micro stuff. Adam Dunn swings big, carries a high SLG, whiffs a lot and drives in piles of runs. None of that is going to change.

He'll whiff less as he gets older (because that's what pretty much player does), but he'll still whiff a lot even then.

RANDY IN INDY
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Regardless of any of the conversation, there is a different approach to Adam Dunn's at bats right now, than I have seen since he first came up to the big leagues. He looks like a much more focused and seasoned, hitter right now. I have recently seen him foul off quite a few pitches, to stay alive, that he would have struck out on earlier in the season. If he keeps making these strides, he is going to elevate his game to a different level. I really like what I have been seeing.

On a side note, defensively, he looks to be taking better routes to the ball, is hustling much more, and is covering a whole lot more ground in the outfield than I have seen earlier in the year. He is getting to balls in left center that Junior was catching or that would have fallen earlier. Something is different about this "cat" right now. He seems to have kicked it into a different gear. Maybe the Kearns trade woke him up a little bit, maybe not, but I see a much more focused Adam Dunn right now.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe the Kearns trade woke him up a little bit, maybe not, but I see a much more focused Adam Dunn right now.
Playing in games that mean something might be helping too.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
And, there is also the TC2-reported come to Jesus talk that Narron had with Adam.

When did this happen? I guess I missed it.

M2
07-28-2006, 02:03 PM
On a side note, defensively, he looks to be taking better routes to the ball, is hustling much more, and is covering a whole lot more ground in the outfield than I have seen earlier in the year. He is getting to balls in left center that Junior was catching or that would have fallen earlier.

IMO a lot of that had to do with him spending ST at 1B. His hideous defense at the start of the season looks like it revolved around him not getting many reps there before the season started. No one's ever accused Adam of being a natural fielder. He needs to put in his work or the rust accumulates quickly.

On the "come to Jesus" talk with Narron (don't know who specifically made that post): My assumption has long been that young players get a good half dozen of those each year from coaches and veteran players.

cincyinco
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Just curious.. has anyone read the recent interview with Adam Dunn on baseball america? Its subscriber content, so I can't post it, but its worth a read. Dunn is really really hard on himself. I believe he said something to the effect in the interview that if he was playing at this level at the age of 35, he'd retire because he wasn't doing good enough. Its obvious the guy wants to succeed, and he's probably his own worst critic.

Cyclone792
07-28-2006, 02:06 PM

A high LD% will help raise BABIP somewhat whereas a low LD% will contribute to lowering a BABIP. However, LD%'s are pretty stationary in the 17-21 percent range. Hitters who also hit pitches hard will tend to have a higher BABIP. Think Wily Mo Pena in that regard, and his BABIPs have been off the chart.

Still, all that said, there's a heavy dose of randomness in BABIP, and much of that comes on ground balls and fly balls. Fly balls and ground balls can randomly find holes, or they can randomly find gloves.

M2
07-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Just curious.. has anyone read the recent interview with Adam Dunn on baseball america? Its subscriber content, so I can't post it, but its worth a read. Dunn is really really hard on himself. I believe he said something to the effect in the interview that if he was playing at this level at the age of 35, he'd retire because he wasn't doing good enough. Its obvious the guy wants to succeed, and he's probably his own worst critic.

That's what I've always liked about Dunn. He's never come across, to me, as a guy who's been satisfied with what he's doing. Paul O'Neill was like that too and Cincinnati never got him.

cincyinco
07-28-2006, 02:12 PM
That's what I've always liked about Dunn. He's never come across, to me, as a guy who's been satisfied with what he's doing. Paul O'Neill was like that too and Cincinnati never got him.

I really wish I could post the link, but with the recent mandate to not post links or subscribert content to baseball america, I dont want to make any unnecessary noise. Its defenitely worth a read though. I think it was an interview with Alan Schwarz - and it was just up a few days ago.

RANDY IN INDY
07-28-2006, 02:13 PM

Problem is, a lot of players with so much natural ability have never really had to deal with a lot of failure in their career, nor, have they had to put in the intense kind of time that it takes to elevate their game. It's all been natural and easy. It could, finally, be a maturity thing with Adam Dunn, and he may be beginning to realize that he might actually have to put in that "perfect practice" time that takes him to the next level as a ballplayer. A lot of us have been saying that while being a very good player as he is, Dunn certainly has the talent and ability to rise to a higher level that most can never achieve. I really hope that is what we are beginning to witness.

VR
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
A high LD% will help raise BABIP somewhat whereas a low LD% will contribute to lowering a BABIP. However, LD%'s are pretty stationary in the 17-21 percent range. Hitters who also hit pitches hard will tend to have a higher BABIP. Think Wily Mo Pena in that regard, and his BABIPs have been off the chart.

Still, all that said, there's a heavy dose of randomness in BABIP, and much of that comes on ground balls and fly balls. Fly balls and ground balls can randomly find holes, or they can randomly find gloves.

I just have studied the metric enough to see when luck is overcome by skill.

The pitching side is one that has me really curious to find relational trends.... whether speed, movement, variety of pitches, etc.

flyer85
07-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Just curious.. has anyone read the recent interview with Adam Dunn on baseball america?have a link

M2
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I really wish I could post the link, but with the recent mandate to not post links or subscribert content to baseball america, I dont want to make any unnecessary noise. Its defenitely worth a read though. I think it was an interview with Alan Schwarz - and it was just up a few days ago.

Here's the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/minors/features/261882.html

Cyclone792
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I just have studied the metric enough to see when luck is overcome by skill.

The pitching side is one that has me really curious to find relational trends.... whether speed, movement, variety of pitches, etc.

That's a pretty good place to start for the next step of research with BABIPs. It wouldn't surprise me if in five years we know many more answers to those questions than we know at this point.

Always keep researching, always keep learning and always keep expanding the overall knowledge base. That's been my motto.

Brutus
07-28-2006, 02:33 PM
No contradiction whatsoever. You get 162 games to collect your season stats and every player will have peaks and valleys inside of that. Point is that Dunn's on pace to crack the single-season top 10 for whiffs this year and yet he's driving in more runs than ever.

The correlation I see between Dunn and RBIs (and this goes for every player in the sum total history of baseball) is SLG and RBIs. He drove in 31 runs last July (.701 SLG).

Not putting him in the lower part of the lineup also helps his RBI totals, because he isn't getting pitched around in RBI situations as often ... but that's tangential to Ks/RBIs.

Point is that in modern baseball players with big swings produce higher SLGs and it nets them more RBIs over the long haul. It also nets them more Ks. People jump to weird conclusions when they obsess about generally meaningless micro stuff. Adam Dunn swings big, carries a high SLG, whiffs a lot and drives in piles of runs. None of that is going to change.

He'll whiff less as he gets older (because that's what pretty much player does), but he'll still whiff a lot even then.

I agree with a lot of this. It's true that a higher slugging percentage equals more RBI's because naturally doubles, triples and home runs will drive in more runners than singles hitters or guys that only take a lot of walks but don't hit for a high average.

And generally speaking, it's also true that some of the guys that strikeout more often are power hitters because they take bigger swings and sometimes don't shorten up in 2-strike situations, etc.

I also agree with you about his spot in the batting order helping a lot with RBI situations.

But all that aside, while it's true stats have a chance to balance out over 162 games, you also can't ignore that his RBI's have picked up at the same time his average has picked up, his walk rate (while still good) has gone down slightly and he's striking out less. Then of course there are those that would point to his vast improvement with RISP - not from an overall run scoring standpoint but just in sheer production per this individual player.

I think the critics of Dunn all wanted him to do better. I think they would all agree he's an oustanding talent, but to take that next step and be the 'elite' player that he's made out to be, he needed to be more aggressive at the plate and become a more complete hitter. You can't be a great run producer simply hitting homers, striking out or drawing walks. You need to be able to hit that 2-out, run-scoring single with the game on the line sometimes.

The statistics certainly have always held Dunn in high regard for overall performance. There's no question his ability to hit the home run and draw walks is a valuable asset. But these critics do not hate Dunn despite what people may perceive. It's the opposite - they like the guy and want to see him get better.

While his numbers may be very similar to some of his career bests... meaning he hasn't yet changed statistically too drastically, I think this trend you're seeing will show all of his numbers coming up in the future if he continues to hit with the mindset we're seeing now.

ochre
07-28-2006, 02:36 PM
no player plays regularly exactly at their mean.

Most of the time they are a bit better or a bit worse. Sometimes they are a lot better, or a lot worse. If you were to draw a line that generally enclosed all the plotted points representing these performances, it would generally form the shape of a bell.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
April OBP: .432
July OBP: .434

How is he making more outs???

The numbers I was looking at were from ESPN.com and didn't include last night's game, which added .030 to his OBP. He was at .404 before last night. My bad.

SteelSD
07-28-2006, 07:11 PM

2006 w/2 Strikes:

Count 0-2: .087 BA/.087 OBP/.261 SLG
Count 1-2: .145 BA/.145 OBP/.218 SLG
Count 2-2: .153 BA/.153 OBP/.441 SLG
Count 3-2: .164 BA/.446 OBP/.327 SLG

I don't have the daily tracker on there, but if Dunn was hitting a ton better recently with two strikes on him, I'd expect those numbers to be significantly better than they are at this point (even though they don't include the HR/Single/BBx2 results from last night). His improvement appears to directly correlate to his insertion in the 2-slot in the lineup.

And I think it's important to note that Dunn receives additional PA because of that and I wonder (because I don't have the numbers available) about how many of those PA may be augmenting his numbers while in that slot. After all, high BB players tend to have fewer opportunities to acquire base hits than low BB players so adding opportunities might be just what the doctor ordered (and it's a reason I've long advocated slotting him there).

Does it have anything to do with a confidence gain provided by a lighter bat? Maybe. But it could also have something to do with a pair of lucky socks or possibly he decided to eat chicken before every meal. Players are a superstitious lot of course. But yeah, he could be augmenting his 2-slot numbers due to a lighter bat that might allow him to aim better. After all, I'm a guy who's long proposed that aiming better would be a good thing due to the number of pitches he tends to swing through. Could be that he's entering his age-prime years and he was due for improvement.

That all being said, it's far too few PA to actually draw any conclusions. Baseball's too streaky and we do know that streaks tend to bring a player back to the norms over time.

Could be lots of things. Could be not. Time will tell.

James B.
07-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I think we are seeing Dunn turning the corner. He is hitting as good as anybody right now. I think one thing has been helping is having Junior hitting behind him. I know Junior is slumping but teams still do not want to pitch to him. It is a whole lot better than who he has had batting behind him so far this year.

MWM
07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately,I haven't been able to watch any games during this hot streak from Adam, but when a player is hot (especially as hot as Dunn is now) it can appear that they're taking a different approach at the plate compared to when they'reslumping. Hot streaks makes hitters look good and slumps make them look bad. It's the nature of the beast. And many times a hot streak is the result of a better plate approach and a slump is a result of a bad one. Is he consciously changing the way he's hitting? Maybe. It's entirely possible. Or is it just that he's seeing the ball so well right now that he's able to make better decisions at the plate? Maybe. Time will tell. I sure wish I could be watching it though, because Adam Dunn was frustrating as hell to watch for most of May and June.

Raisor
07-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately,I haven't been able to watch any games during this hot streak from Adam, .

Same here, and what's worse my computer blew up so I haven't even been able to follow the team HERE.

(Hanging out at my parents' house tonight)

Anyway, I have to take issue with the idea that July Dunn is head and shoulders above April Dunn.

The two Dunns created approx the same numbers of runs. The two Dunns just did it in two slightly different ways.

Six of one, half a dozen to the other.

TeamBoone
07-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I have to take issue with the idea that July Dunn is head and shoulders above April Dunn.

The two Dunns created approx the same numbers of runs. The two Dunns just did it in two slightly different ways.

Wouldn't it be great if the Reds really did have two Adam Dunn's?

KronoRed
07-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Wouldn't it be great if the Reds really did have two Adam Dunn's?
The Dunn bashers wouldn't be able to handle it

Muwhahaha :laugh:

buckeyenut
07-29-2006, 06:42 AM
I didn't mind what Dunn has been doing all year, understood the value of his production even through all the complaining about him. The nice thing about him changing his style, if he has, is that even though his production is likely to stay the same for the most part, he will achieve that production in a way that is a lot less likely for his management to appreciate what he does and a lot less likely to cause a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.

TeamBoone
07-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Dunn is making his swings count
By Hal McCoy / Staff Writer

MILWAUKEE Adam Dunn delayed it as long as he could, extending his daily clubhouse card game with teammate Ken Griffey Jr., hitting coach Chris Chambliss and first base coach Billy Hatcher.

The media wanted to chat about his streak the seven straight hits he took into Friday's game against the Milwaukee Brewers and the nine straight times he reached base. The streak ended in the first inning Friday when Dunn popped up to second base.

As he thumbed his cards, he smiled and said, "You guys are just trying to get me back to the old Dunn and you'll probably succeed. I haven't had a hit up here since 'Nam."

It was mentioned that he had a .186 career average in Houston's Minute Maid Park before the just-concluded series where he singled, doubled, doubled, singled, homered, walked, walked and singled.

"Yeah? Well, I'll bet my career average is worse in Miller Park?" he said. Wrong, but not by much. He entered Friday's game hitting .211 with eight homers and 19 RBIs in 44 games.

Dunn, deeply criticized earlier in the season for failure to hit with runners in scoring position, has 10 hits in his last 20 at-bats with runners in scoring position.

Finishing the card game, Dunn walked to his locker and said, "Let's get this jinxing interview over. Nothing has changed in my approach. I'm seeing it good and it seems as if when I get a strike I'm not fouling it off or missing it."

Dunn's home run Thursday in Houston was one that only Dunn can hit for the Reds 10 feet off the ground and still 10 feet off the ground when it slammed into a concrete viaduct in left center. They called it 450 feet, "But if it doesn't hit that wall it goes 500 feet," said manager Jerry Narron.

Asked if his second-half surge .417 since the All-Star break is a message for his critics, Dunn said, "That's not my goal. My goal isn't to silence my critics because I couldn't care less. I just knew I wasn't playing good. Period. My goal the second half was to help the team a lot more so we can stay where we are.

"This is what you play for not personal goals, but to win," he said. "This is the first chance I've had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. That makes it a lot easier every day to come to the field. It's just fun and how it is supposed to be."

Narron said he never wavered in his trust of Dunn, who has played 102 of the team's 103 games.

"People got down on Dunn early in the year, but you look at the end of the year, every year, and his numbers are going to be almost the same," said Narron. "And he is probably on a better pace for RBIs than he has been in the past (71 in his first 101 games). Everybody says he can't drive in runs, but he gets 100 RBIs. During the spring, ask any player if they'd take 100 RBIs, 100 runs, 100 walks, 40 home runs and a .380 on-base average and see how many would turn it down."
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/072906redsnotes.html

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dunn happy just to be winning
Hit streak ends vs. Milwaukee
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

MILWAUKEE - When told reporters wanted a word with him Friday, Adam Dunn said:

"You guys are trying to get the old Adam back."

The implication: Talking about his streak would jinx it. But Dunn talked anyway - he's not superstitious, just super hot at the plate.

Dunn went into Friday night's game with the Milwaukee Brewers with hits in his last seven at-bats. He had reached base in nine straight plate appearances.

The streak ended in the first inning Friday when he popped out to the first baseman. He went 1-for-3 with two walks and a run scored.

Dunn's streak was the longest by a Red since Dmitri Young had hits in nine straight at-bats in June 2001.

"I'm seeing the ball good," Dunn said. "When I get a pitch to hit, I'm not fouling it off."

Dunn's hot streak had his average up to .261, and he had 13 hits in his last 23 at-bats with runners in scoring position.

Dunn has been a fan favorite to criticize but says that doesn't motivate him.

"My goal was to try to help the team a lot more in the second half," Dunn said.

Dunn's done that. The Reds are 10-4 since the All-Star break.

"People got down on him early," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "But at the end of the year, his numbers are going to be the same every year - 100 RBI, 100 runs, 40 home runs and a .380 on-base percentage."

Dunn went into Friday with 31 home runs and 71 RBI. Last season at this point, he had 28 homers and 63 RBI, and he finished with 40 and 101.

Dunn's in a place he's never been in six major-league seasons: a playoff race.

"This is a lot of fun," he said. "It's easier to come to the park every day."

With the trade deadline Monday, the Reds aren't talking about simply shedding players.

"We're adding people to try to make us better," Dunn said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/SPT04/607290382/1071