PDA

View Full Version : Need any PC help?

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Alright, I've probably said this a couple times, but I am a Sales Representative for Dell. I am also certified technically by the National Computer Science Academy as a Computer Hardware Technician and currently pursuing an Associates in Computer Info. Systems, so I am pretty technically sound when it comes to computers as well.

This is not a personal advertisement, as I would also like to help anyone with technical issues. Didn't see any technical support thread here. So therefore, ask me any question....and I should be able to help!

All I ask, is for a little rep in return! ;)

StillFunkyB
07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Alright, I've probably said this a couple times, but I am a Sales Representative for Dell. I am also certified technically by the National Computer Science Academy as a Computer Hardware Technician and currently pursuing an Associates in Computer Info. Systems, so I am pretty technically sound when it comes to computers as well.

This is not a personal advertisement, as I would also like to help anyone with technical issues. Didn't see any technical support thread here. So therefore, ask me any question....and I should be able to help!

GAC should be PM you in 3...2... :evil: I kid!

Anyhoo, good to know. There are threads that pop up from time to time with people asking for help. Just be on the lookout for those as well. There are quite a few of us on here that lend a hand when it's needed.

I myself work for an IT company based in the Cincinnati area. I have a traveling position with them.

GAC
07-28-2006, 08:51 AM
GAC should be PM you in 3...2... :evil: I kid!

Anyhoo, good to know. There are threads that pop up from time to time with people asking for help. Just be on the lookout for those as well. There are quite a few of us on here that lend a hand when it's needed.

I myself work for an IT company based in the Cincinnati area. I have a traveling position with them.

:lol:

I've learned alot from you tech "geeks"! I know how to replace a HD and other internal components, format a computer, etc.

But I do have a question when it comes to virtual memory. I have a very basic understanding of how virtual memory works, and what it really is.

Been reading up here, but it loses me pretty easily. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

My daughter has an E Machine. It's only a few months old and really does a good job....

3400 AMD Sempron processor
40 GB HD
512 DDR Ram

The last couple of days I've been getting these virtual memory warnings, and where Windows is moving or re-allocating memory usage to meet the need.

Is this from her downloading and adding stuff onto her computer?

She has Sims2 on there, and that thing is a monster. But other then that, she doesn't really have all that much IMO.

She has both AOL and MSN Messenger going.

I also have Spy Sweeper, Norton's Anti-Virus, and Ace Utilities on there.

But overall, I try to keep her computer "cleaned up" as much as possible.

Would increasing the 512 DDR SD Ram help out?

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
How to I get my XP Home machine to see the Drives on my 2 XP Pro machines in my home network. I'm routing over a SMC Barricade and using DHCP, but the XP Home machine is invisible to the other 2 and the other 2 invisible to it.

I've used the network setup "wizard" and it hasn't helped. I've got the Network properties set up the same on all 3 machines.

Pretty bad when I have to lanuch an FTP client to transfer files on my home network!

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
How to I get my XP Home machine to see the Drives on my 2 XP Pro machines in my home network. I'm routing over a SMC Barricade and using DHCP, but the XP Home machine is invisible to the other 2 and the other 2 invisible to it.

I've used the network setup "wizard" and it hasn't helped. I've got the Network properties set up the same on all 3 machines.

Pretty bad when I have to lanuch an FTP client to transfer files on my home network!

Right click on the drives < Sharing and Security

Share the drives! :thumbup:

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Would increasing the 512 DDR SD Ram help out?

Increasing memory always helps in the performace of your PC. It's a very good possibility her PC only supports 1GB of memory, but either way it should be plenty to run the things she plans on running.

StillFunkyB
07-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Increasing memory always helps in the performace of your PC. It's a very good possibility her PC only supports 1GB of memory, but either way it should be plenty to run the things she plans on running.

Agreed.

512 should be plenty. Check your virtual memory settings. As long as the setting is on "Let Windows manage my swap file" you should be good. I have mine set static. The one thing that could be affecting the virtual memory is your HD space. If she is low on disk space, there may not be enough room for Windows to write a larger swap file.

Benny-Distefano
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I'll volunteer my services as well.
I'm A+ certified and I am studying for network+ exam.

Any problems, fire away. I'm sure one of us can put you in the right direction. Free here at Reds Zone!!! ;)

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
I'll volunteer my services as well.
I'm A+ certified and I am studying for network+ exam.

Any problems, fire away. I'm sure one of us can put you in the right direction. Free here at Reds Zone!!! ;)

I need to retake my A+. Went in un-prepared, got some tough questions, and didn't pass the test by like 5 points. Kinda angry by it....but just lets me know that I need to study more before taking it. I do plan on taking it again though! :thumbup:

I did find the NCSA a little harder....and I passed it....so I don't really know what my problem was that day. :rolleyes:

GAC
07-28-2006, 11:56 AM

It does support 2 GB.

Another question.

I have a new HP with XP. I have been downloading pictures into the My Pictures folder of my house rebuild. I am using a Kodak easy Share digital camera, and HP Photosmart Premier software to edit/save the pictures.

I then go to the My Picture folder, right click on the House Rebuild folder (that has the pics) to send to an email recipient.

I get the normal email message box with..

Subject: Emailing House Rebuild
Attach: House Rebuild.Ink

Down in the main body it has....

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\House Rebuild

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

I then send it.

The email is received, but they can't open any of the attachments. They say they are not there. I have sent them to numerous family members and they all have the same problem.

I have went into my Outlook Express Options and checked everything I can that might be preventing it, but don't see anything that might be the cause.

Any solutions?

pedro
07-28-2006, 12:00 PM
That's awful nice of you Rob.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
It does support 2 GB.

Another question.

I have a new HP with XP. I have been downloading pictures into the My Pictures folder of my house rebuild. I am using a Kodak easy Share digital camera, and HP Photosmart Premier software to edit/save the pictures.

I then go to the My Picture folder, right click on the House Rebuild folder (that has the pics) to send to an email recipient.

I get the normal email message box with..

Subject: Emailing House Rebuild
Attach: House Rebuild.Ink

Down in the main body it has....

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\House Rebuild

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

I then send it.

The email is received, but they can't open any of the attachments. They say they are not there. I have sent them to numerous family members and they all have the same problem.

I have went into my Outlook Express Options and checked everything I can that might be preventing it, but don't see anything that might be the cause.

Any solutions?

To be safe, open your e-mail first, attach the foloder, then mail it. From what it seems like, you're emailing an icon of the folder. A .ink extension can typical be an icon, so that seems to be what you are sending. It can also be a ShortCut.

RBA
07-28-2006, 01:28 PM
How do I get Dell to reimburse me for a known power suppy issue in their 4600s desktop? My power supply went out 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired. Dell knew/knows these power supplies are bad but has refuse to recall them.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
How do I get Dell to reimburse me for a known power suppy issue in their 4600s desktop? My power supply went out 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired. Dell knew/knows these power supplies are bad but has refuse to recall them.

They wouldn't have a problem replacing it, if you were still under warranty. That's why they urge the extended warranties. In fact, almost ALL consumer reports urge them as well.

If it was a nation-wide spread issue with the 4600s, they would have recalled them. They've done it with laptop batteries and adapters.

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Right click on the drives < Sharing and Security

Share the drives! :thumbup:

Sorry, don't work.

The systems can't even see each other, the XP Pro systems can see the shared drives but neither can see the Shared drive on the XP Home system. The XP Home system can't see either drive on the XP Pro system.

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I need to retake my A+. Went in un-prepared, got some tough questions, and didn't pass the test by like 5 points. Kinda angry by it....but just lets me know that I need to study more before taking it. I do plan on taking it again though! :thumbup:

I did find the NCSA a little harder....and I passed it....so I don't really know what my problem was that day. :rolleyes:

I never took the A+ I'm working on my MCSD, so Hoping I'm going in prepared for it.

RBA
07-28-2006, 02:46 PM
They wouldn't have a problem replacing it, if you were still under warranty. That's why they urge the extended warranties. In fact, almost ALL consumer reports urge them as well.

If it was a nation-wide spread issue with the 4600s, they would have recalled them. They've done it with laptop batteries and adapters.

It was a NATION-WIDE issue with the 4600's. There have been several long 300+ post threads on the Dell forums, but all the post were taken down. hmmm

Thanks, but I'm staying away from Dell next time.

edit: Here is one of the few threads they haven't taken down... http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=239340&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Sorry, don't work.

The systems can't even see each other, the XP Pro systems can see the shared drives but neither can see the Shared drive on the XP Home system. The XP Home system can't see either drive on the XP Pro system.

Have you went through the Home Network Wizard? Turned off and on your router?

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
It was a NATION-WIDE issue with the 4600's. There have been several long 300+ post threads on the Dell forums, but all the post were taken down. hmmm

Thanks, but I'm staying away from Dell next time.

edit: Here is one of the few threads they haven't taken down... http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=239340&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

That's the whole point though. If you have a warranty, it will be replaced, if you don't, it WILL NOT.

That's like going to an auto dealer after your warranty is up (40 thousand, 100 thousand, whatever you have), and demanding a refund because a part in your car went bad. It follows the same lines.

PURCHASE THE EXTENDED WARRANTIES! Even consumer reports suggest that a typical PC won't experience problems until 2-3 years after purchase. If you had purchased the warranty, you would be home free right now.

Besides, 3/4 of the people on those forums don't understand how sales works and the reasoning WHY they wouldn't hand our thousands of dollars in credits.

Each computer made has about an average margin of $250 on it. Of course, the higher end systems have a higher margin, but you get the point.

You can make your own decision...don't go with Dell. But with any computer company, if your warranty is up, they're not going to replace a part. It's common knowledge.

BTW....HP uses refurbished parts in their PCs. Gateway uses the lowest end parts possible, and charges a high price to gain a larger margin. Just for a future thought. ;)

RBA
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Yup, you're right, I shouldn't expect a computer to last much more than a year. I have very unrealistic expectations. Lucky I had a junk computer from the 90's laying around and was able to replace my power supply in two minutes.

I'm not going to debate you on customer service and warranties, because obviously you have to tow the company line.

Thanks

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Yup, you're right, I shouldn't expect a computer to last much more than a year. I have very unrealistic expectations. Lucky I had a junk computer from the 90's laying around and was able to replace my power supply in two minutes.

I'm not going to debate you on customer service and warranties, because obviously you have to tow the company line.

Thanks

I am speaking outside of company lines about this issue.

I personally have a 4 year warranty on my computer, because I want it to last 4 years guarenteed without any worry of having to replace ANY parts.

And it's quite obvious that you don't understand the point of a warranty. It GUARENTEES you, the customer, that you're going to have the computer in working condition for the amount of time you pay for it.

As I said, it's like buying a new vehicle and declining the warranty, to save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Insurance is basically the same thing....you HAVE to have it to INSURE you that you are going to be covered in the case of an accident.

GAC
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
To be safe, open your e-mail first, attach the foloder, then mail it. From what it seems like, you're emailing an icon of the folder. A .ink extension can typical be an icon, so that seems to be what you are sending. It can also be a ShortCut.

That worked Rob. Thanks!

Now to maybe even a harder task. ;)

ChipR, who is a member here, is having trouble with his computer. He bought the XP upgrade for Windows 98 and installed. He says it worked fine for awhile, but is now getting the following error messages.

The computer is 5+ years old.

I've been doing some research to try and help him. I'm thinking it could be a memory issue (RAM?)

I thought about just formatting and re-installing Windows, but I don't think we need to do anything this drastic at this stage.

Would F Disk help?

I thought he could go into Task Manager to see what resources are running, and shut some of them done.

Any suggestions?

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
That worked Rob. Thanks!

Now to maybe even a harder task. ;)

ChipR, who is a member here, is having trouble with his computer. He bought the XP upgrade for Windows 98 and installed. He says it worked fine for awhile, but is now getting the following error messages.

The computer is 5+ years old.

I've been doing some research to try and help him. I'm thinking it could be a memory issue (RAM?)

I thought about just formatting and re-installing Windows, but I don't think we need to do anything this drastic at this stage.

Would F Disk help?

I thought he could go into Task Manager to see what resources are running, and shut some of them done.

Any suggestions?

Yeah. It's a memory issue. Windows Xp requires you to have a minimum of 128MB of RAM to even run it. Being that old, it's a good possibility that the system itself isn't upgradable to 128MB.

Get a NEW computer Chip! :p:

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Have you went through the Home Network Wizard? Turned off and on your router?

Yes, Network Wizard, router reset, tried static Ip's and dhcp, netbeui on/off, File sharing installed uninstalled, I even tried it from my Linux box through Samba. Can't see the XP Home machine from anything. The XP Home is able to use my DSL connection and have full access to email, internet, etc, but just can't see or interact with the other machines on the router. I know XP Home can't join a domain, but it should workgroup with the others right?

HotCorner
07-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry, don't work.

Is the Windows firewall active for either PC? If so, make sure it allows connections to local network PC's.

Also if you have installed a firewall program like Norton, it may be preventing you from seeing other PC's on the network.

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Is the Windows firewall active for either PC? If so, make sure it allows connections to local network PC's.

Also if you have installed a firewall program like Norton, it may be preventing you from seeing other PC's on the network.

Internal firewalls are off, I'm using a hardware based firewall in the SMC Barricade, Systems are nated behind the barricade with internal IP's being open. The DSL modem/router goes to my Barricade into the Wan connector with the PC's plugged into the 4 port hub on the barricade.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Have you went through the Computer Management Console to see if you can't find the computer through that?

RedsFan75
07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Have you went through the Computer Management Console to see if you can't find the computer through that?

Now that's one I don't know about. How do I access other computers through it?

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, if your computers have a direct connection with each other, you should be able to view it through the Console. It will also allow you to format the other computer's hard drives from that console as well, and create partitions. Pretty neat little tool.

I would make sure that you do it from your Win XP Pro computer though....it's a little more advanced with a couple more options than Home.

RedsFan75
07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Well, if your computers have a direct connection with each other, you should be able to view it through the Console. It will also allow you to format the other computer's hard drives from that console as well, and create partitions. Pretty neat little tool.

I would make sure that you do it from your Win XP Pro computer though....it's a little more advanced with a couple more options than Home.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home from work this evening.

dman
07-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Rob, why did Dell do away with offering AMD cpu's on there systems? I like Dell's pricing, but I'm not a big Intel fan and this keeps me piece-mealing my systems.

Rob Dicken
07-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Rob, why did Dell do away with offering AMD cpu's on there systems? I like Dell's pricing, but I'm not a big Intel fan and this keeps me piece-mealing my systems.

I don't remember Dell ever having any AMD CPUs in their systems. If they did, it would have been at least 10-12 years ago.

They have a strict partnership with Intel. Intel basically pays Dell to put their chips in their systems. Right now, with the release of the Intel Core 2 Duo in the Desktop systems, Intel has REALLY come around in the Dual Core processor area. AMD and Intel right now, as far as performace, are neck and neck.

Dell did buy out Alienware. So, within the next year or so, it could be a possibility of AMDs being in a Dell.

Chip R
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah. It's a memory issue. Windows Xp requires you to have a minimum of 128MB of RAM to even run it. Being that old, it's a good possibility that the system itself isn't upgradable to 128MB.

Get a NEW computer Chip! :p:

Yeah, it only has 64MB of memory.

StillFunkyB
08-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it only has 64MB of memory.

You need a new PC. :)

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 04:07 PM
You need a new PC. :)

Yes. Yes you do.

redsfan4445
08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
I dont have a Dell yet but i plan too. i have a HP Pavillion 6730 that i had to replace the entire harddrive from a virus.. the new hard drive was supposed to be a 20GB (bought it from a used computer store and had them check it again as i thought they made a mistake and it read 20gb on their computer!!),but will only read it as a 1.9GB on my pc... i read the help files and it told me too check to see if the harddrive was a FAT32, which it wasnt.. soooo i saw in accessories the convertor and did this.. it is now a FAT32, but still reads as a 1.9GB.. how do i get it to read the rest of my hard drive??

it runs win98 SE
64MB SDRAM(with 1MB allocated for video)
intel 600mhz processor

any help i really appreciate it till i get a Dell (which is the best at low cost??)

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I dont have a Dell yet but i plan too. i have a HP Pavillion 6730 that i had to replace the entire harddrive from a virus.. the new hard drive was supposed to be a 20GB (bought it from a used computer store and had them check it again as i thought they made a mistake and it read 20gb on their computer!!),but will only read it as a 1.9GB on my pc... i read the help files and it told me too check to see if the harddrive was a FAT32, which it wasnt.. soooo i saw in accessories the convertor and did this.. it is now a FAT32, but still reads as a 1.9GB.. how do i get it to read the rest of my hard drive??

it runs win98 SE
intel 600mhz processor

any help i really appreciate it till i get a Dell (which is the best at low cost??)

Try using a different hard drive connector, and let me know the results! :thumbup:

dunn4life
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
would installing a new video card cause my printer to not be able to show my pictures once i put my card in?Every time i try and see the photos from my card it doesn`t show them,prior to installing the new card it worked evertime.thanks in advance.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 07:18 PM
would installing a new video card cause my printer to not be able to show my pictures once i put my card in?Every time i try and see the photos from my card it doesn`t show them,prior to installing the new card it worked evertime.thanks in advance.

Are you plugging your card directly into the printer?

dunn4life
08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
yea,before when i put the card in the printer, windows photo viewer would generate the pics for preveiw and ask us what we wanted to do.Now when we put the card in nothung.Thanksw again for any suggestions

GAC
08-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I bought my sister a new Dell a couple weeks ago.

It's crashed 6 times over the last week (those nasty blue screens).

They've talked with Dell support who is trying to walk them through tech suport; but to no avail.

I called them and told them that she has the 3 yr in-house service plan, and to get their butts out there pronto!!! ;)

GAC
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
As for Chip's problem - yeah, he needs a new computer. His trouble started when he upgraded 98 to XP.

The computer worked fine when it had 98.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
yea,before when i put the card in the printer, windows photo viewer would generate the pics for preveiw and ask us what we wanted to do.Now when we put the card in nothung.Thanksw again for any suggestions

Not sure. But I am almost for certain it's not your video card.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I bought my sister a new Dell a couple weeks ago.

It's crashed 6 times over the last week (those nasty blue screens).

They've talked with Dell support who is trying to walk them through tech suport; but to no avail.

I called them and told them that she has the 3 yr in-house service plan, and to get their butts out there pronto!!! ;)

Good job with the Warranty! Let me know how it goes when the technician gets out there and does his work.

Also, make sure it's not a software problem first. Run Virus scans, spyware scans, etc. Because if it is a software problem, the technician won't fix it, because software problems aren't covered under the warranty (only hardware).

If it is a software problem, make sure you get a friend to do it, because Microsoft's Tech support line usually charges $100 per call, and $50/hour.

Come on people! Where's my rep? :p: It's not like I am asking for money!

GAC
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Good job with the Warranty! Let me know how it goes when the technician gets out there and does his work.

Also, make sure it's not a software problem first. Run Virus scans, spyware scans, etc. Because if it is a software problem, the technician won't fix it, because software problems aren't covered under the warranty (only hardware).

If it is a software problem, make sure you get a friend to do it, because Microsoft's Tech support line usually charges $100 per call, and $50/hour.

From what my sister told me today - the problem originally started with error messages from some of the pre-installed games that came with the computer. Then she started getting all these messages about running disk checks. It all went downhill from there.

I wasn't at the house, but my sister has a friend who is a computer tech. He came over and was on the phone for 2 hrs with Dell trying to correct this problem. Did everything, even tried a computer restore; but again to no avail.

Chip R
08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
The computer worked fine when it had 98.

I would not go that far. Why do you think I got XP?

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 08:26 PM
From what my sister told me today - the problem originally started with error messages from some of the pre-installed games that came with the computer. Then she started getting all these messages about running disk checks. It all went downhill from there.

I wasn't at the house, but my sister has a friend who is a computer tech. He came over and was on the phone for 2 hrs with Dell trying to correct this problem. Did everything, even tried a computer restore; but again to no avail.

May be a hard drive problem. If the problem does stem from some preinstalled Dell Game Software, the guy will be more than willing to help.

Let me know how it goes.

MaineRed
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Even if you have a warranty from Dell you can't get anyone on the phone who speaks a lick of English. My name is Ben and it took 5 minutes for the moron in India to figure out what I was spelling.

I will never buy another Dell. The thing cooked after 14 months.

I probably will buy the extended warranty, but not from Dell, too many horror stories. I also hope to find a company with a customer service department that happens to be in an English speaking country.

I sat on the phone one day for quite awhile, then the guy came on and said that he had to go take a break or he would get in trouble and that he would call me back. Claimed his computer was going to be automatically shut down to ensure that he did not work (help a customer in need) during a break. What a joke. Then they want to put on a supervisor so you can discuss the call and rate the person who took your call. They waste your time before taking your call and then they want to waste more when the call is over.

Sorry for the rant, but Dell is on my list.

Rob, nothing personal. You deserve some rep points for this offer. Nice touch. I may have a question or two for you in the future.

dunn4life
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
when i installed the card i forgot to say that there was a software included,could that have caused my problem.?

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Even if you have a warranty from Dell you can't get anyone on the phone who speaks a lick of English. My name is Ben and it took 5 minutes for the moron in India to figure out what I was spelling.

I probably will buy the extended warranty, but not from Dell, too many horror stories. I also hope to find a company with a customer service department that happens to be in an English speaking country.

I sat on the phone one day for quite awhile, then the guy came on and said that he had to go take a break or he would get in trouble and that he would call me back. Claimed his computer was going to be automatically shut down to ensure that he did not work (help a customer in need) during a break. What a joke. Then they want to put on a supervisor so you can discuss the call and rate the person who took your call. They waste your time before taking your call and then they want to waste more when the call is over.

Sorry for the rant, but Dell is on my list.

Rob, nothing personal. You deserve some rep points for this offer. Nice touch. I may have a question or two for you in the future.

Yeah, outsourcing is a problem, so it's understandable. But, outsourcing is with EVERY major computer company in the United States, so what you experienced with Dell is what you will experience with HP, Gateway, etc.

With every call you make, you need to make sure that you take down case numbers and bade ID #s from every person that works with you, in case you feel they might not give you the service that you desire.

Also, from personal experience....and this is not because I am employee:

I have a Dell TV, and had a few problems with it. Did some necessary Technical work with it with the 'foreigners' and they OVERNIGHTED me a new TV. I've never had a problem with the Technical Support line.

Even though you may not be able to understand what they are saying at some times, the trick is making them understand YOU. If they are trying to walk you through Tech Support situations, you need to make sure you can understand them. If not, have them transfer you to someone you can.

Dell just spent over $10 million decreasing the amount of wait time on Tech Supprt at any given time.

Patience is a huge thing with Technical Support. If you don't have the patience, they are more than likely going to seem like they aren't helping you. I mean, honestly, think about it. Would you want to deal with someone that has no patience and is screaming at you on the phone or making your job harder than what it should be? Not saying you were, but it's always a good thing to have patience.

The systems that Dell does work on, does clock an employee completely out of the system during the middle of every shift. Does it to me as well. I can't personally log in to make sales during the middle of my shift, so I must in turn go take a lunch. LOL. Sucks, but it guarentees HR they are following government labor guidelines.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
when i installed the card i forgot to say that there was a software included,could that have caused my problem.?

Could be. Try uninstalling it.

redsfan4445
08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Try using a different hard drive connector, and let me know the results! :thumbup:

Still the same.. i even hooked up a different hard drive as a secondary and it also says its a 1.9GB and its a 10GB.. arg its frustrating

RBA
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM

it runs win98 SE
intel 600mhz processor

You might need to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

Here's a good deal on a simple Dell Desktop...

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/637875/

Hurry, these don't last long.

Rob Dicken
08-02-2006, 11:14 PM
You might need a to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

Very true.

redsfan4445
08-03-2006, 06:20 AM
You might need to upgrade your Bios. Your motherboard may not be able read that high of a drive. How many gigs was your old one?

the old one was a 10GB..i bought the 20Gb as a temp fix till i can get a Dell. What i dont understand is, a 10GB drive now wont read 10GB, but only 1.9 like the higher one..
thansk for your time.. it means alot to many on here

GAC
08-03-2006, 07:54 AM

Been there, done that. I too hate it! But most of your major computer manufacturers have transferred tech support to India and other remote places.

The people are very courteous, and try to be helpful; but I have to keep telling them to repeat themselves. It's quite bothersome.

IMO - you just got a bad one. Probably made on a Monday or Friday. :lol:

This computer that I'm on now is an HP. It's my second one and I love it.

My first one sorta "cooked" too..... in the house fire. ;)

RedsFan75
08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Been there, done that. I too hate it! But most of your major computer manufacturers have transferred tech support to India and other remote places.

The people are very courteous, and try to be helpful; but I have to keep telling them to repeat themselves. It's quite bothersome.

It's not just Tech Support. I'm in the programming side of things and I've had good friends who lost their jobs, when our departments were downsized because programming was outsourced to India!

RBA
08-03-2006, 08:38 AM

Unless you have a business account and than you get Americans. Dell can afford to lose the single customers, but they can't afford to lose their business clients which often is the US Government.

I've had the same experiece with Dell Customer Service, I've gotten people who could hardly speak english and than I had some that speak better English than myself. The funny part is they have all American names. That's to trick you in thinking you are talking to an American.

Than again many companies previously used call centers in the poorest parts of the country (such as El Paso and the deep South) and many of them had a hard time with English too.

Rob Dicken
08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Unless you have a business account and than you get Americans. Dell can afford to lose the single customers, but they can't afford to lose their business clients which often is the US Government.

I've had they same experiece with Dell Customer Service, I've gotten people who could hardly speak english and than I had some that speak better English than myself. The funny part is they have all American names. That's to trick you in thinking you are talking to an American.

Than again many companies previously used call centers in the poorest parts of the country (such as El Paso and the deep South) and many of them had a hard time with English too.

This a very true statement.

redsfan4445
08-03-2006, 07:33 PM
the old one was a 10GB..i bought the 20Gb as a temp fix till i can get a Dell. What i dont understand is, a 10GB drive now wont read 10GB, but only 1.9 like the higher one..
thansk for your time.. it means alot to many on here

No ideas Rob?? please let me know.

thanks

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 08:24 PM
No ideas Rob?? please let me know.

thanks

What is the BIOS saying for the size of the drive? 1.9? That's an odd size, so something is wrong.

Is the drive on it's own IDE cable, or is it sharing with another drive like a CD ROM or your old HD? It should be on it's own cable, and the jumper on the drive (little plastic cap covering pins next to where the power connecter is) should be set to MASTER. Some drives/motherboards require single drives to be set as CABLE SELECT, but that is rare. Your HD should be on it's own seperate cable because when it is shared with something like a CD ROM, it slows down the transfer rate of the HD because the CD ROM's transfer rate from the drive to the board is slower than a HD. Sharing with another HD is OK, however.

Make sure all your cables are plugged in tight. They are keyed so you can't plug them in wrong. Well you could, but you would know it's not right ;)

If everything looks good, try a reset of your BIOS. When the PC starts up go into your BIOS. Once you are in the BIOS you can reset to factory default. Seems to me that this shouldn't effect you because most general PC users have no reason to change any setting in the BIOS.

If you have a camera, and can post some pictures that might be able to help us see something that we may be overlooking here.

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 08:29 PM

GAC,

If you did a total restore, and I mean not just a system restore from inside windows, then that IS a hardware problem. A total restore would be using the disk, or I think Dell now has a seperate partition on the HD that contains the restore software and it totally wipes the main partition and restores the computer to what it was when it shipped from Dell.

When you call tech support, let them know you did a system restore and it still crashes. They should ship you out a new PC pronto. I have rarely had an issue with Dell support. Only the english speaking problem ;)

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 08:37 PM

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos/browse_thread/thread/f2f7d32edd1b762a/aa48a62c32b9a1aa%23aa48a62c32b9a1aa

I'm not sure if this is your exact problem, but it may help you out.

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 08:50 PM

XP Home only supports "simple file sharing". That might be your problem, I'm not sure. I am going to ask someone else that knows more than me.

My question for you is that if your running XP Pro on your other two systems, why not on the third?

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Thanks

RBA,

The power supply is where most OEM builders save money. They are usually cheap, and relatively weak. Usually just enough to get by with the hardware installed. You add a second HDD, and maybe a little more powerful video card and your gonna have problems. To compound that issue, they are almost always of a proprietary size so just going and getting a new one isn't all that simple. I feel your pain, as I have had this problem as well. This is HUGE in the smaller "budget" pc market. Dell has gotten better, and the more top of the line units have pretty hefty PSU's.

Mario-Rijo
08-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Alright guys we are gonna earn our stripes on this one. This is long so bear with me.

My sister bought a Dell Ohh about a year and a half ago I believe. About a month or so in she started to have a sound problem. Whenever any sound was used on the computer she would get an accompaning sound that sounded (bear with me here, and try to use your imagination) similiar to someone scratching an album while it was playing. Basically a broken up distortion that caused the sound you wanted to be.... just that broken & distorted.

She called Dell of course and told them of the problem, they then ran her through a series of different things. She checked every connection to and from the speakers, checked everything they could possible think of (of a hardware nature). Eventually they had her restore the computer to an earlier time when the issue wasn't a problem it worked fine. Problem solved right, wrong. Within about 3 weeks or so, it started again so she obviously went through the whole deal again and again they came back to this restoring the computer thing which again worked. So 3-4 weeks later the problem comes back again, this time they send someone out to check the motherboard (sound card?) and the tech decided for lack of a better alternative to just replace the motherboard. Again this worked for a short time.

To speed things up, eventually she had gotten so upset that she decided to get rid of it because Dell wouldn't just give her a full replacement (entire system) or refund her money. Citing that this wasn't a hardware issue, it had to be a software issue and until we went through all the motions and paid for the software people to run it through them 1st. I of course wanted to get a relatively new computer at a discounted price even with this issue, so I agreed to buy it from her (November I believe it was). So I paid for the software 48 hr deal, you pay like 99 dollars and they fix the problem within 48 hours or you get your $$$$ back.

We then ran it through all kinds of things with them and after the time was up they said it was definitely not a software issue. Needless to say I was now getting disgusted by a # of things, chief among them that customer service sucked something awful in many ways (hard to communicate with them as has been mentioned, they were not returning calls as they had promised supervisors included, I was spending all my free time on the phone day after day after day etc.) it was turning into a nightmare. I finally decided that I would make one last shot at fixing the issue and let them know in advance that I was done wasting my time and that they would figure out the problem or replace this entire system or I would discuss it w/ my atty. My stance was basically I just had a lemon, becuase I had never heard of anyone having such a problem.

Needless to say I had a new system within a week, this was in like Feb or March. Of course everything was sent too me except the printer which was fine because I have no reason to believe the printer has anything to do with it. Everything was fine for a couple of months and then lo and behold here comes the same problem again. Of course now I feel bad that it may have been me/us and not the computer at all, but too add to my misery is that I now have this problem and no way too fix it as the warranty has expired (I believe). I have an Ipod and use the music tunes website and cannot listen to my music w/o having all this interference, and the videos I have are like watching an oriental film plus sound distortion.

I can only assume I have a virus, and that the virus comes from a person to person music sharing website. I recall that when my sister 1st got hers she used Gluz.com to get some music. I tried to download this site at some point and also Limewire.com, and for whatever reason it wouldn't completely download so I just put it in the trash can and moved on. Not too long later I started having this problem again. Granted in the meantime I was informed it was illegal to download music from these sites and I in turn informed my sister so that will no longer be an issue. But I still need to figure out how to fix this problem for good and you guys may be my only hope.

Again just to re-cap I have troubleshot this problem too death from numerous angles/technicians, on the phone on Dell's website. I get this distortion all the time even when I run dxdiagnostics to check the sound. What do you guys think?

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Mario,

I don't see how a virus would cause an issue like this. I have never heard of one that does so. It does this on EVERY sound, or just music?

Honestly, it sounds like a driver issue. Maybe something conflicting with the soundcard? If it was working fine, and then just stopped, and it happened even after a full blown restore after a certain ammount of time what you need to do is try and think of what you did at that point in time. What software was installed prior to it starting to "fail". It's obvious it's not a hardware issue, because you are having the problem with a new PC.

One thing you can try, is downloading the soundcard driver from Dell's website and reinstall the driver. If there is an option to uninstall the soundcard from the add/remove programs in control panel do that first. If so, and it asks you to remove a shared file say no. Always say no when you uninstall something and it asks you to remove shared files. Better safe than sorry. There may not be anything for the soundcard in add/remove programs though.

One other thing you should do go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup and run that program. Checkmark all the boxes, except "compress old files" and continue. Let it do it's thing. Then when that is done go to the same system tools folder and run defrag. It may not help your issue, but it won't hurt. It's something that needs to be done on every pc at least once a month.

StillFunkyB
08-03-2006, 10:23 PM

I was going to ask you if you can ping the home machine from the pro machines, and vice versa but if you can FTP then obviously the connectivity is there.

Have you tried manually mapping the drive?

RBA
08-03-2006, 11:44 PM
RBA,

The power supply is where most OEM builders save money. They are usually cheap, and relatively weak. Usually just enough to get by with the hardware installed. You add a second HDD, and maybe a little more powerful video card and your gonna have problems. To compound that issue, they are almost always of a proprietary size so just going and getting a new one isn't all that simple. I feel your pain, as I have had this problem as well. This is HUGE in the smaller "budget" pc market. Dell has gotten better, and the more top of the line units have pretty hefty PSU's.

Nothing was added to this computer, all was built by Dell. This was/is a 4600. Computer runs fine now with PSU from an old computer.

Mario-Rijo
08-04-2006, 01:21 AM
I don't see how a virus would cause an issue like this. I have never heard of one that does so. It does this on EVERY sound, or just music?

Yeah it does it on every sound, even the sound Roadrunner makes when it goes to certain websites the little roadrunner meeeeeepppp. It's extremely noticeable when you go to shut down/restart and it has that little windows shutdown sound. It cracks and breaks up to no end at that point. Some songs I can hear it somewhat but others it's just awful.

One thing you can try, is downloading the soundcard driver from Dell's website and reinstall the driver. If there is an option to uninstall the soundcard from the add/remove programs in control panel do that first. If so, and it asks you to remove a shared file say no. Always say no when you uninstall something and it asks you to remove shared files. Better safe than sorry. There may not be anything for the soundcard in add/remove programs though.

Yeah we tried this at least 3-4 times. We even looked for an alternative driver from the manufacturer of the original driver thinking there may be an update, but no such luck.

One other thing you should do go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup and run that program. Checkmark all the boxes, except "compress old files" and continue. Let it do it's thing. Then when that is done go to the same system tools folder and run defrag. It may not help your issue, but it won't hurt. It's something that needs to be done on every pc at least once a month.

Yeah I try to do this at least monthly. But I will try it again, perhaps I missed something.

Mario-Rijo
08-04-2006, 01:39 AM
If it was working fine, and then just stopped, and it happened even after a full blown restore after a certain ammount of time what you need to do is try and think of what you did at that point in time. What software was installed prior to it starting to "fail". It's obvious it's not a hardware issue, because you are having the problem with a new PC.

Well actually I haven't restored this one, it was the other pc I had. I actually was so disgusted with the whole thing that since it came back on this one I have not attempted anything new since the problem came back up. I wish I knew what software caused the problem, I know for a fact that it was after I attempted to download both gluz.com and limewire.com. How long I am not sure. Neither would finish downloading, like the PC was rejecting it at some point in the process. It's probably somewhere still on my PC as I don't know how to completely trash it/wipe it off. It could be the issue, I dunno. I don't remember adding any other software but I might have, how would I clarify this question and fix it if this is the issue?

GAC
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
GAC,

If you did a total restore, and I mean not just a system restore from inside windows, then that IS a hardware problem. A total restore would be using the disk, or I think Dell now has a seperate partition on the HD that contains the restore software and it totally wipes the main partition and restores the computer to what it was when it shipped from Dell.

When you call tech support, let them know you did a system restore and it still crashes. They should ship you out a new PC pronto. I have rarely had an issue with Dell support. Only the english speaking problem ;)

I asked my sister what all her tech friend did - I asked her if he tried system restore and she said he did, but to no avail. I am pretty sure they didn't try a total restore. I'm glad I bot the separate restore disk along with the XP OS.

I tried calling her last night, but couldn't get ahold of her. I'm going to do some follow-up on this this weekend.

My sister is not computer savy AT ALL, so I need to stay on top of this. I told her that she needs to relate this to the tech support person and that it is their responsibility to either send someone to her home, or send her a new computer. No compromise! It's what we paid for.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Well actually I haven't restored this one, it was the other pc I had. I actually was so disgusted with the whole thing that since it came back on this one I have not attempted anything new since the problem came back up. I wish I knew what software caused the problem, I know for a fact that it was after I attempted to download both gluz.com and limewire.com. How long I am not sure. Neither would finish downloading, like the PC was rejecting it at some point in the process. It's probably somewhere still on my PC as I don't know how to completely trash it/wipe it off. It could be the issue, I dunno. I don't remember adding any other software but I might have, how would I clarify this question and fix it if this is the issue?

What model PC is it?

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I asked my sister what all her tech friend did - I asked her if he tried system restore and she said he did, but to no avail. I am pretty sure they didn't try a total restore. I'm glad I bot the separate restore disk along with the XP OS.

I tried calling her last night, but couldn't get ahold of her. I'm going to do some follow-up on this this weekend.

My sister is not computer savy AT ALL, so I need to stay on top of this. I told her that she needs to relate this to the tech support person and that it is their responsibility to either send someone to her home, or send her a new computer. No compromise! It's what we paid for.

Make sure she backs up any important files before you do a total restore as it will wipe the hard drive. I am not a big fan of the system restore from inside windows. It uses alot of system resources and if you had some nasty program on the hard drive, it doesn't really erase it.

GAC
08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Make sure she backs up any important files before you do a total restore as it will wipe the hard drive. I am not a big fan of the system restore from inside windows. It uses alot of system resources and if you had some nasty program on the hard drive, it doesn't really erase it.

At this stage, and it being a computer only a week old, she has not stored anything of value on there.

Mario-Rijo
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
What model PC is it?

Dimension 3000, XP home edition.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Dimension 3000, XP home edition.

Ok, have you tried running any spyware removal tools?

If not, download ADAWARE and run it. Also, you can try spybot search and destroy.

Just give that a shot, and see if that helps. I was browsing through some forums and found someone with the same problem as you except they were running XP Pro. The person purchased a new HD, and the problem went away. Sounds like some sort of nasty peice of software is doing something.

Other than that I would say disable the onboard sound, and purchase a soundblaster card and install it. They are pretty cheap, and you could probably find one on EBAY. I have a Soundblaster card in my Dell desktop at home, with the onboard card disabled.

RedsFan75
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
My question for you is that if your running XP Pro on your other two systems, why not on the third?

Because its what was on it when I bought it, and I've been very busy at work and haven't had time to upgrade it yet. :) ;)

But I did try for a bit to get it on my home network

Mario-Rijo
08-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok, have you tried running any spyware removal tools?

If not, download ADAWARE and run it. Also, you can try spybot search and destroy.

I downloaded both and they both cost. I assumed they might be free, I don't know why I assumed that. I will continue once I get the $$ in the bank. During the scan however they both detected several spyware & adware files on my computer. AD AWARE detected 31 and Spybot detected 33. I then installed Zone Alarm and it found like 18 spyware (no adware) and deleted those. It actually has helped the problem some, but the problem still exists overall. I may need to finish wiping out the remaning spy/adware to fix it.

StillFunkyB
08-04-2006, 11:39 PM
I downloaded both and they both cost. I assumed they might be free, I don't know why I assumed that. I will continue once I get the $$ in the bank. During the scan however they both detected several spyware & adware files on my computer. AD AWARE detected 31 and Spybot detected 33. I then installed Zone Alarm and it found like 18 spyware (no adware) and deleted those. It actually has helped the problem some, but the problem still exists overall. I may need to finish wiping out the remaning spy/adware to fix it.

Adaware has a free version, as does spybot s&d.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10401314.html?tag=lst-0-1

GAC
08-05-2006, 07:02 AM
You should also download/run CWShredder...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

GAC
08-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Funky - referring to what we talked about in chat last night concerning my daughter's E Machine.

General info...

AMD Sempron processor 3400+ 2.01 GB
384 MB SD DDR Ram
160 GB HD (89% free)

The page filing is default and controlled/mananged by Windows.

I'm trying to learn more about the Task Manager. Here is some general info on her's when I open up the various tabs....

Applications (nothing showing in window)
Processes - 41
Performance - CPU Usage fluctuates from 0 to 14%, PF Usage is 380 MB (Windows has this set at 576 MB)

She has one game (Sims2) on this that is a "monsters".

Do you think adding more SD DDR Ram would help?

This is not a huge problem - the computer seems to be working fine. It just acts sluggish/slow in responding.

RBA
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I think adding the RAM won't hurt. And I bet some of that RAM is being used to run video. Another 256 to 512 would be good.

Do you have any RAM slots in your machine? You might have only two, one with a 128 and one with 256. But you might have two additional slots.

MikeS21
08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I have a couple questions., I've got a Dell Dimension 4400 in my office at work that is about 4-5years old. It's not got all the bells and whistles of newer computers, but it does fine for running Office 97 and checking e-mail (and RedsZone lurking during office hours!).

The first question has to do with upgrading to Windows XP SP-2. I currently only have SP-1. I downloaded the SP-2 upgrade from Microsoft and burned it to a CD. But I have since heard of many problems from folks making the upgrade. Sould I take the plunge or stick with SP-1?

The second question has to do with the Recycle Bin. When I delete files, they bypass the bin and so straight to cyber olblivion. If you look at the Contents of Recycle Bin, the bin appears to be completely empty. I have checked all the usual settings in Windows XP relating to the Recycle Bin (Recycle Bin >> Right Click >> Properties, etc.), and they tell me that deleted files should be sent first to the bin. I have done some on-line searching for other fixes and found a couple ideas. Both had to do with deleting certain files and allowing Windows to re-create the files on boot up. Is it possible that somehow I have mistakenly caused Windows to hide the files in Recycle Bin, or is it some Registry setting that has gone haywire? Any ideas on possible fixes?

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I have a couple questions., I've got a Dell Dimension 4400 in my office at work that is about 4-5years old. It's not got all the bells and whistles of newer computers, but it does fine for running Office 97 and checking e-mail (and RedsZone lurking during office hours!).

The first question has to do with upgrading to Windows XP SP-2. I currently only have SP-1. I downloaded the SP-2 upgrade from Microsoft and burned it to a CD. But I have since heard of many problems from folks making the upgrade. Sould I take the plunge or stick with SP-1?

The second question has to do with the Recycle Bin. When I delete files, they bypass the bin and so straight to cyber olblivion. If you look at the Contents of Recycle Bin, the bin appears to be completely empty. I have checked all the usual settings in Windows XP relating to the Recycle Bin (Recycle Bin >> Right Click >> Properties, etc.), and they tell me that deleted files should be sent first to the bin. I have done some on-line searching for other fixes and found a couple ideas. Both had to do with deleting certain files and allowing Windows to re-create the files on boot up. Is it possible that somehow I have mistakenly caused Windows to hide the files in Recycle Bin, or is it some Registry setting that has gone haywire? Any ideas on possible fixes?

It sounds like some association is messed up in the registry. I'm not a Windows expert so I can't say for sure. The only thing I could do is try and track down the same problem on a message board somewhere else like you have already done.

As far as SP2 goes, I haven't had any problems with it. I would upgrade just becuase of the security risk you run by not having SP2 installed. I think the problems you are talking about were when it was first released, and IIRC, it had to do with software that was having issues with it. If you just surfing/email, and using Office you should be fine.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Funky - referring to what we talked about in chat last night concerning my daughter's E Machine.

General info...

AMD Sempron processor 3400+ 2.01 GB
384 MB SD DDR Ram
160 GB HD (89% free)

The page filing is default and controlled/mananged by Windows.

I'm trying to learn more about the Task Manager. Here is some general info on her's when I open up the various tabs....

Applications (nothing showing in window)
Processes - 41
Performance - CPU Usage fluctuates from 0 to 14%, PF Usage is 380 MB (Windows has this set at 576 MB)

She has one game (Sims2) on this that is a "monsters".

Do you think adding more SD DDR Ram would help?

This is not a huge problem - the computer seems to be working fine. It just acts sluggish/slow in responding.

Unless Sims2 is running, then just being installed on the HD is not going to affect the machine running slow. It just takes up alot of space on the HD, which you have plenty of.

I am almost positive your video card is sharing system memory, which is why it's giving you fits. Upgrading the RAM would help in this situation. The only other thing you could do is buy a diferent video card (if you have an open AGP slot which is unlikely) and disable the onboard card.

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Other than that I would say disable the onboard sound, and purchase a soundblaster card and install it. They are pretty cheap, and you could probably find one on EBAY. I have a Soundblaster card in my Dell desktop at home, with the onboard card disabled.

Apparently I am going to have to do the above. I did take the Spybot link you gave me and used it, it did find alot of spyware/adware and fixed that but it didn't give me the desired effect on the sound. So my next question is is there a step by step on the above that I can use to go forward on it, I mean of course once I purchase the soundblaster card? And my second question is should I consider going with the new HD instead? Does the new sound card help with watching videos/video feed? I mean if I put the new Soundcard in, it would likely fix the sound but wouldn't I still have some major software issue floating around out there that could hurt me in the same way/other ways in the future?

I guess the bottomline is I wanna fix it the the cheapest way but only if it doesn't cost me more down the road. I don't expect you to know for sure of course, I understand these things are somewhat difficult to get a true handle on unless you have done extensive work of this kind for years.

Wait a sec, I just remembered something else that seemed to be an issue. I go on the Bengals website alot and watch the press conferences and what not. Or at least I used too until I downloaded the newer version of Realplayer, I started having some problems not long after it was downloaded. That could be it, I'm not sure maybe you can shed some light on that.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Apparently I am going to have to do the above. I did take the Spybot link you gave me and used it, it did find alot of spyware/adware and fixed that but it didn't give me the desired effect on the sound. So my next question is is there a step by step on the above that I can use to go forward on it, I mean of course once I purchase the soundblaster card? And my second question is should I consider going with the new HD instead? Does the new sound card help with watching videos/video feed? I mean if I put the new Soundcard in, it would likely fix the sound but wouldn't I still have some major software issue floating around out there that could hurt me in the same way/other ways in the future?

I guess the bottomline is I wanna fix it the the cheapest way but only if it doesn't cost me more down the road. I don't expect you to know for sure of course, I understand these things are somewhat difficult to get a true handle on unless you have done extensive work of this kind for years.

Wait a sec, I just remembered something else that seemed to be an issue. I go on the Bengals website alot and watch the press conferences and what not. Or at least I used too until I downloaded the newer version of Realplayer, I started having some problems not long after it was downloaded. That could be it, I'm not sure maybe you can shed some light on that.

What version of directx is installed?

Go to start>run and in the box type dxdiag and hit enter. You should be able to see what version of dx is running on the first page.

And yes, it's not that easy without sitting down in front of your PC. I think what people don't realize is that there are literally hundreds of things that could cause a problem. Usually it is software related, so that makes it tough.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh, Mario...

Honestly the cheapest thing to fix it would be to do a clean install, and then monitor the PC very closely to see if the problem comes back again. If it does make a note of EVERYTHING that was done prior to the problem starting.

IIRC, you did say that after doing a restore it worked fine for a short time.

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2006, 11:37 PM
What version of directx is installed?

DirectX 9.0

Oh, Mario...

Honestly the cheapest thing to fix it would be to do a clean install, and then monitor the PC very closely to see if the problem comes back again. If it does make a note of EVERYTHING that was done prior to the problem starting.

IIRC, you did say that after doing a restore it worked fine for a short time.

Hmmm, will that mean that everything I have bought/downloaded from Itunes will be erased? Because I will do that if necc., but I want that too be a last resort because I don't wanna lose that money spent unless I have too.

StillFunkyB
08-06-2006, 12:31 AM
DirectX 9.0

Hmmm, will that mean that everything I have bought/downloaded from Itunes will be erased? Because I will do that if necc., but I want that too be a last resort because I don't wanna lose that money spent unless I have too.

You can backup your purchased iTunes songs. I think you have to burn them to CD.

GAC
08-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Ok Funky - here are a couple of the blue screen messages my sister keeps getting. I'm calling Dell today and tell them to get to the house and fix this. I live too far away to have to keep running down there and try to recover this computer according to Dell techs phone recommendations. I can understand them trying to take that route first; but they are gonna have to come to the house and fix this thing. That is what we paid for.

But it seems to me to be hardware related....

"Hardware failed. Replace failed component. Error was caused by unrecoverable hardware error which forced the operating system to stop functioning."

She also gets this....

"More then likely the problem is being caused by one or more of the following computer components: RA Memory, System Board, Central Processing Unit, Power Supply.

We be calling Dell back. ;)

My brother came to me yesterday with a problem on HIS desktop Dell....

On the monitor screen - everything displayed is rotated (on its side) to the left. I have never heard this happening

He tried to use the monitor adjustment options to rotate it back around, and all it does is start to squash everything displayed all up.

He asked me what to do - and being the smart aleck that I am, I told him to turn the monitor on it's side and problem solved! :lol:

Video card? Not sure if it's on-board or not; but I bet it is. I'm going to call him this morning and get the model # and go to their site and see if updating driver might work.

StillFunkyB
08-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok Funky - here are a couple of the blue screen messages my sister keeps getting. I'm calling Dell today and tell them to get to the house and fix this. I live too far away to have to keep running down there and try to recover this computer according to Dell techs phone recommendations. I can understand them trying to take that route first; but they are gonna have to come to the house and fix this thing. That is what we paid for.

But it seems to me to be hardware related....

"Hardware failed. Replace failed component. Error was caused by unrecoverable hardware error which forced the operating system to stop functioning."

She also gets this....

"More then likely the problem is being caused by one or more of the following computer components: RA Memory, System Board, Central Processing Unit, Power Supply.

We be calling Dell back. ;)

My brother came to me yesterday with a problem on HIS desktop Dell....

On the monitor screen - everything displayed is rotated (on its side) to the left. I have never heard this happening

He tried to use the monitor adjustment options to rotate it back around, and all it does is start to squash everything displayed all up.

He asked me what to do - and being the smart aleck that I am, I told him to turn the monitor on it's side and problem solved! :lol:

Video card? Not sure if it's on-board or not; but I bet it is. I'm going to call him this morning and get the model # and go to their site and see if updating driver might work.

As far as rotation goes, IT has to be in the display properties control panel. If you right click somewhere on the desktop (not on an icon) and go to properties, then the settings tab there will be an advanced button. When you click that button it should open another "page" with more tabs and there should be a tab where he can rotate the screen.

GAC
08-07-2006, 07:58 AM
As far as rotation goes, IT has to be in the display properties control panel. If you right click somewhere on the desktop (not on an icon) and go to properties, then the settings tab there will be an advanced button. When you click that button it should open another "page" with more tabs and there should be a tab where he can rotate the screen.

Went there and didn't see anything in any of the tabs that would allow for rotation.

RBA
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
GAC, it's not the windows task bar rotated to the left is it? If that the case, just right click it and drag it to the bottom.

Thanks

StillFunkyB
08-07-2006, 07:47 PM
GAC, it's not the windows task bar rotated to the left is it? If that the case, just right click it and drag it to the bottom.

Thanks

Good call RBA, didn't think of that.

GAC
08-08-2006, 04:51 AM

Thanks

No. The whole display screen is rotated to the left (on it's side). I'm trying to get the Dell model # and wondering if upgrading the video drive might solve it. It's a crapshhot but worth a try.

StillFunkyB
08-08-2006, 09:56 AM
No. The whole display screen is rotated to the left (on it's side). I'm trying to get the Dell model # and wondering if upgrading the video drive might solve it. It's a crapshhot but worth a try.

If that's not it, then it has to be some kind of software. Most likely the driver, you just need to locate where the option is to rotate it. The GeForce line on video cards have this right in there in the display properties. I can't tell you where, because I am currently running an ATI card in my laptop. As far as ATI is concerned, there is a TAB under advanced that says ROTATION. So if you didn't see anything right there in front of you, then you are probably using some other video card. It may be buried under another tab somewhere GAC.

Upgrading the driver might not help. It could, but it might keep the same settings if this problem is because something got changed in the settings of the original driver.

Just to double check, there is nothing in the settings of the monitor itself? Have you tried pushing the menu button on the monitor and finding the reset button, and done that?

GoReds
08-08-2006, 11:40 AM
The rotation probably depends on the adapter. If you right-click on the desktop, and then select properties, it will bring up the display properties dialog box. Click on the Settings tab. Towards the bottom of the dialog box, there should be a button labeled Advanced - click that.

On my computer, I have an ATI card and the next dialog box has a tab labeled Rotation. If you have a tab like this, then this is where you can correct the rotation.

GAC
08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I told my brother to call Dell since the computer isn't a year old yet.... and I hope he has better luck with their phone tech support then I have today.

After 15 minutes of not being able to hear/understand one word that this woman was saying - as Seinfeld would say "she's a low talker" - and asking her to speak up.... I hung up!

Called back and talked with another tech support person from India named Rickey. I explainned the entire scenario once again and told him that the computer was a gift bought by me for my sister who lives 45 minutes away. And that I was already down there once last week and spent over 2 hours on the phone with your "crack" phone techs trying to diagnose the problem, and to no avail.

I wrote down and read to him the entire blue screen message which explicitly said it was a hardware failure that was most likely one of the following components... RA memory, mother board, central processing unit, power supply... and the computer therefore shut the OS down.

I explained to the guy that my sister is not computer savy one bit, and that I don't have time to keep running down there, sit in front of this computer, and keep going through this with you guys. I bought the in-home service plan - NOW GET SOMEONE'S BUTT OVER THERE!

Rickey then told me that the warranty calls for them to do a over the phone diagnosis first to determine what the failed component is, and THEN they'll send someone out.

He assured me that even he could walk my sister through the process of diagnosis, so I gave him her number and he was suppose to call today. We'll see.

But is there some other area of Dell that I can call to complain.... and speak with someone who understands English????

If this is how they run their customer support, then I will never buy another Dell product.

I have never had one bit of problem with the tech support for my two HP computers. Not once.

Chainer
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I told my brother to call Dell since the computer isn't a year old yet.... and I hope he has better luck with their phone tech support then I have today.

After 15 minutes of not being able to hear/understand one word that this woman was saying - as Seinfeld would say "she's a low talker" - and asking her to speak up.... I hung up!

Called back and talked with another tech support person from India named Rickey. I explainned the entire scenario once again and told him that the computer was a gift bought by me for my sister who lives 45 minutes away. And that I was already down there once last week and spent over 2 hours on the phone with your "crack" phone techs trying to diagnose the problem, and to no avail.

I wrote down and read to him the entire blue screen message which explicitly said it was a hardware failure that was most likely one of the following components... RA memory, mother board, central processing unit, power supply... and the computer therefore shut the OS down.

I explained to the guy that my sister is not computer savy one bit, and that I don't have time to keep running down there, sit in front of this computer, and keep going through this with you guys. I bought the in-home service plan - NOW GET SOMEONE'S BUTT OVER THERE!

Rickey then told me that the warranty calls for them to do a over the phone diagnosis first to determine what the failed component is, and THEN they'll send someone out.

He assured me that even he could walk my sister through the process of diagnosis, so I gave him her number and he was suppose to call today. We'll see.

But is there some other area of Dell that I can call to complain.... and speak with someone who understands English????

If this is how they run their customer support, then I will never buy another Dell product.

I have never had one bit of problem with the tech support for my two HP computers. Not once.

I've seen this explained throughout the rest of the topic. Unfortunately there is nothing else you can do.

You've gotten lucky with HP. Hewlett-Packard sells computers with refurbished parts inside of them, and it's a true miracle you've even had good experiences with them. Not to mention, they do just as much outsourcing as anyone.

But, the tech support person is right. They are REQUIRED to diagnose the problem before they can send a technician out to fix it.

Obviously the biggest thing going to be asked is this: Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

Also, have you tried the Dell Connect program they now offer? It's covered under your warranty. It allows a technician to get inside the computer from a remote location and fix it's problems over a broadband internet connection. If the person doesn't have a broadband internet connection, the best thing I can suggest is to call Tech Support. That's the only way you're going to get anything solved. Filing a complaint unfortunately won't help. Because for every 1 person not sastisfied, there's 1,000 that are.

My suggestions are the following:

1 - If YOU definitely believe it is a hardware problem, then yes, you need to tell them to send a technician out to your residence.

2 - If it is a software problem, the quickest way to fix ANYTHING is to run diagnostics. DeFragment your hard drive, run virus scan (if you don't have one, GET ONE! It's essential!), run disk clean, clear out your cache, clear out your temporary internet files, run a spyware scan (if you don't have the software get it! For the same reasons as virus scan).

3 - Open your case, and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Cables, plugs, RAM, etc.

I myself have seen cases of Windows displaying a hardware issue and it NOT being a hardware issue at all. So, this may be the case.

Either way, to get what you want with Dell, you need to make sure THEY understand you and YOUR NEEDS.

GAC
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Got a call from a Dell tech person around 4 PM today. I guess my raising heck registered with them. They are sending out a new computer (tower) ASAP with instructions on how to send back the old.

RBA
08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Got a call from a Dell tech person around 4 PM today. I guess my raising heck registered with them. They are sending out a new computer (tower) ASAP with instructions on how to send back the old.

:clap:

Chainer
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM

Right on, dude. Good work. :thumbup:

GAC
08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Right on, dude. Good work. :thumbup:

I think posing as the CEO of Dell and threatening to pull all tech support back to the US of A must have sunk in. ;)

GAC
08-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Rob.... what do you know about this Dell recall on Dell laptops. It involves the battery supplied by Sony, and that it can over heat and cause a fire.

My son has an Inspiron B130.

Chainer
08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey Rob.... what do you know about this Dell recall on Dell laptops. It involves the battery supplied by Sony, and that it can over heat and cause a fire.

My son has an Inspiron B130.

I'm not Rob, but I can answer that question for ya....;)

And of course...Sony brings another crappy product to the table!

What you need to do, is go to: dellbatteryprogram.com

I don't think the b130 is on the list of those needing replaced, although you may want to check.

Reds4Life
08-15-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm not Rob

Sure you are.

Chainer
08-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Sure you aren't.

There. I corrected it for you. :)

Reds4Life
08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
There. I corrected it for you. :)

I guess that's why the IP address for 66 of your posts matches Rob's account, eh?

GAC
08-16-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm not Rob, but I can answer that question for ya....;)

And of course...Sony brings another crappy product to the table!

What you need to do, is go to: dellbatteryprogram.com

I don't think the b130 is on the list of those needing replaced, although you may want to check.

Went to the website and you're right - my son's is not affected.

I don't need anymore risks with fires. ;)

GAC
08-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Got the new computer (tower) for my sister the other day and went down yesterday morning and hooked it up.

I also got ahold of her internet provider and told them to come out and set her up with DSL - dialup really stinks, and they have a plan where if you have their phone service (which my sister does) then the DSL is only $10 mor a month.

But Dell never sent me any instructions on what to do with the tower I replaced. I'm not gonna contact them, but wait and see if they contact me. It's their responsibility to provide the pick-up and shipping as far as I'm concerned.

RBA
08-16-2006, 08:03 AM
I guess that's why the IP address for 66 of your posts matches Rob's account, eh?

Are you referring to me?

I only have 1 account to my name. Or are we joking?

EDIT: Rob must refer to the original poster (OP) on this thread. Sorry.

RBA
08-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Picked up a Toshiba A105-4074 yesterday for the wife. Nice machine.
It's probably more than she will ever need since alll she does is surf the internet and check her yahoo mail account. But I think I got a good deal for $719 before tax at Best Buy. Maybe she will grow into it. :D

Processor Type : Core™ Duo Processor Number : T2050 Processor Speed : 1.60GHz Operating System : Genuine (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/toshibadirect.to?page=genuineWindows) Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Memory Size : 512MB Display Size : 15.4" Display Type : Widescreen XGA with TruBrite™ Technology Display Resolution : 1280x800 Graphics Chipset : Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Memory : 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory Hard Drive Size : 120GB Also includes:

Hard Drive Speed :5400rpm
Optical Drive :DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
Wireless LAN :Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
Bluetooth :No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
Input Devices :85 key US keyboard, Hot Key Functions, Windows Key Function, Internet Launch button, Application Launch Button, Express Media Player CD/DVD launch button, TouchPad pointing device
Security :Password Security, Hot Key Security, Security Cable Lock Slot
LAN :10/100
Audio :SRS TruSurround XT® virtual surround sound, SRS WOW™ stereo sound, Realtek ALC861, Standard stereo speakers
AC Adapter :75W (15V 5.0A) Auto-sensing, 100-240V / 50-60Hz input
Battery Type :Li-Ion (6-cell, 4000mAh)
Battery Life :Up to 3.42 hours
PC Card Slots :1-Type II PC Card Slot
PC Express Slot :1-ExpressCard™ Slot
Media Port :5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
USB Slots :4-USB (2.0)
iLINK :i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
S-Video :TV-out (S Video)
Software :InterVideo® WinDVD® Creator 2 Platinum, TOSHIBA Express Media Player, InterVideo® WinDVD® 5, TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, Microsoft® Office OneNote®, Microsoft Works, Sonic® Solutions RecordNow! Basic
Weight :Starting at 6.0 lbs.
Color :Mist Gray
Warranty :1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

StillFunkyB
08-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Got the new computer (tower) for my sister the other day and went down yesterday morning and hooked it up.

I also got ahold of her internet provider and told them to come out and set her up with DSL - dialup really stinks, and they have a plan where if you have their phone service (which my sister does) then the DSL is only $10 mor a month.

But Dell never sent me any instructions on what to do with the tower I replaced. I'm not gonna contact them, but wait and see if they contact me. It's their responsibility to provide the pick-up and shipping as far as I'm concerned.

There should have been a shipping label in the box with the new PC. You pack the old PC in the box, and slap that label on the outside then call whichever shipper and tell them you have a pickup. Shouldn't cost you a thing.

Crash Davis
08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
New to the thread, but it looks like I came to the right place. I have a couple of laptop questions, and I'll thank you guys ahead of time for any advice you can dispense. Some background:

LAPTOP #1:
- Dell Inpsiron Notebook purchased approx. 3 years ago for $1100.
- Stopped working a year ago, whereupon I thought it was a battery gone bad combined with a torn charging cord.
- Bought a brand new battery & cord only to discover through Dell that it was almost certainly a crack in the motherboard.
- Was told by Dell to ship it to them, and it will cost about $500 to repair.
- Still have not shipped it to them b/c I didn't want to part with that kind of money.

LAPTOP #2
- Ancient laptop which I've been using for internet access only since the Dell went down.
- Recently, after surfing some lyrics sites for my Top 25 Breakup Songs post, this laptop aquired a ton of spyware. In trying to remove the spyware, it appears that I goofed up seriously and must have removed a crucial browser component.
- Internet Explorer browser no longer works.

OK, on to the questions:

Laptop #1: I'm starting a new job which will require a working laptop. Should I pay the $500 to get this 3 year old motherboard fixed knowing that I have about 7000 songs saved on there and dumped $150 into a new battery and cord? There isn't anything else on there that I'm really concerned about, and I do have about 5000 of those songs on an mp3 player.

Or should I just scrap that notebook and purchase an entirely new laptop? If this is the way to go, any suggestions on a brand or model? I don't need it to do anything extravagant, and I'm not much of a gamer. I just basically need internet access, the usual office products, music software, DVD/CD, etc.

Laptop #2: Is there any way to get my browser working again if I've removed a crucial browser program? This computer will not suffice for the new job, but it was nice to have around as a handy back-up.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

RBA
08-16-2006, 08:51 PM
I think you should pay someone to get out your harddrive and recover your songs/data. Someone here maybe able to walk you through it.

Than I would take that $500 and go to best buy on Sunday and get this..

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=98146&t=307117&highlight=Toshiba

Toshiba A105-S4201 Intel Core Solo T1350 processor with NO REBATE beginning next week on August 20 to August 26 for $499. Comes with a free Lexmark all-in-one printer X2350.

BETTER YET: PRE-buy the notebook if you can and than go and price adjust when it goes on sale. (It will be snatched up in no time.) Read the link for more tips.

Sell the spare parts of the broken laptop. You can try ebay.

GAC
08-16-2006, 08:53 PM
There should have been a shipping label in the box with the new PC. You pack the old PC in the box, and slap that label on the outside then call whichever shipper and tell them you have a pickup. Shouldn't cost you a thing.

I looked all thru the box.... wasn't there.

RBA
08-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Laptop #2: Is there any way to get my browser working again if I've removed a crucial browser program? This computer will not suffice for the new job, but it was nice to have around as a handy back-up.

You can probably get someone to help you with the spyware. Personnally I been helped with spyware from this website: http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html They are very helpful.

Or, if you have the "computer's installation disk", you can do a clean re-install of your operating system. Or you can buy a new operating sytem software and install that.

Crash Davis
08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Or you can buy a new operating sytem software and install that.

RBA, thanks for all of the advice. You've been a tremendous help so far...especially as I am in the caveman era when it comes to computers.

If I buy that new operating system software, do you have a price estimate?

RBA
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
RBA, thanks for all of the advice. You've been a tremendous help so far...especially as I am in the caveman era when it comes to computers.

If I buy that new operating system software, do you have a price estimate?

Do you know what OS you had in there before? It maybe possible to use Linux which is much cheaper. That's about all I got, maybe someone else can help you on the board.

Crash Davis
08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Do you know what OS you had in there before? It maybe possible to use Linux which is much cheaper. That's about all I got, maybe someone else can help you on the board.

Windows 98 I believe. Possibly XP...I should really pay closer attention. Lemme go take a look.

Crash Davis
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Windows 98 I believe. Possibly XP...I should really pay closer attention. Lemme go take a look.

It's Windows 2000 Professional

RBA
08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
It's Windows 2000 Professional

If you don't have the installation disk(s) that came with your computer, you might be able to get a copy from the manufactur. I would give them a call or email and they may give you or sell you a copy (at a good rate).

edit: But try the website I gave you first. They helped me. ..... castle cops

Crash Davis
08-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks.

Looking at new laptops now...especially if I can't get the $ in time for that Best Buy deal. Is "512MB of DDR2 SDRAM" decent enough memory, or am I going to want more?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=153875&originURLEncoded=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.circuitcity.com% 2Fssm%2FNotebook-Computers%2Fsem%2Frpsm%2FcatOid%2F-12963%2FN%2F20012961+20012963+1697%2Flink%2Fref%2F rpem%2Fccd%2Fcategorylist.do&JSESSIONID=GjBLGPR4W34wzHD76hn2THsTvH5Pv1!13727759 99!1155776904846#tabs

RBA
08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks.

Looking at new laptops now...especially if I can't get the $ in time for that Best Buy deal. Is "512MB of DDR2 SDRAM" decent enough memory, or am I going to want more?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=153875&originURLEncoded=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.circuitcity.com% 2Fssm%2FNotebook-Computers%2Fsem%2Frpsm%2FcatOid%2F-12963%2FN%2F20012961+20012963+1697%2Flink%2Fref%2F rpem%2Fccd%2Fcategorylist.do&JSESSIONID=GjBLGPR4W34wzHD76hn2THsTvH5Pv1!13727759 99!1155776904846#tabs

512 is a good start and it should hold you well for surfing the net. You can always add more Ram later (it's really easy to install in most cases). However, I don't much care for Celeron. It seems like the celerons have always given me a hard time.

RBA
08-17-2006, 10:06 AM
New to the thread, but it looks like I came to the right place. I have a couple of laptop questions, and I'll thank you guys ahead of time for any advice you can dispense. Some background:

LAPTOP #1:
- Dell Inpsiron Notebook purchased approx. 3 years ago for $1100.
- Stopped working a year ago, whereupon I thought it was a battery gone bad combined with a torn charging cord.
- Bought a brand new battery & cord only to discover through Dell that it was almost certainly a crack in the motherboard.
- Was told by Dell to ship it to them, and it will cost about $500 to repair.
- Still have not shipped it to them b/c I didn't want to part with that kind of money.

Dell Support is known to tell people it's the motherboard that's needs to be repaired. (I guess they make more money selling the MBs than something real simple) IE, they tried to tell a lot of us (including me) that it was the motherboard and not the cheap power supply they put in their system. Luckily, I went the cheap route and fixed it by replacing the power supply myself. So in your case, it maybe a good idea to find a laptop repair place and have them take a look at it first. It could be really something simple.

Also, some time after a lot of use the connection between the power plug and the motherboard can break away from the board of the laptop and need to resoldered,try to wiggle the cord at the laptop connection when turning it on.

Crash Davis
08-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Also, some time after a lot of use the connection between the power plug and the motherboard can break away from the board of the laptop and need to resoldered,try to wiggle the cord at the laptop connection when turning it on.

This is exactly what I thought it was b/c the connection was loose. I tried to wiggle it, and I messed with it for a few days. That's why ended up getting the new power cord and a battery.

I had read about Dell's problems with their cheap power supply, so I originally thought that was the problem. As much as I've fooled around with it, I still can't get it to work. I took it to our IT guy at work last year, and he had no luck. My girlfriend tried the same thing with the IT guy at her work, and he couldn't figure it out. At that point I called Dell, and they told me it was a cracked motherboard.

I don't plan on buying another Dell notebook. I've heard some good things about Dell, I've heard some bad things about Dell. My experience wasn't good. I wanted more than 2 years out of a laptop before I had to put $500 back into it.

Crash Davis
08-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Does anybody know anything about Lenovo notebooks?

I keep seeing their name pop up, but nobody really goes into any detail about why they would be a good option.

Edit: scratch the Lenovo. After doing further research, it looks Acer is a fine product in the $500 - $700 range. The reviews on Acer notebooks have been very positive. Now I just have to figure out which one is right for me.

Anybody ever use buy.com for laptops?

RadfordVA
08-31-2006, 06:43 AM
I work at a hotel at night and watch all the reds games through mlb.com around 2 am after they have ended. We have hispeed wireless and all year I havent had any trouble watching the games. This past week however the connection has slowed down so much that I cant watch the games longer than a couple of minutes without the video lagging. What could be the reason for this sudden lost in speed? Is it the pc or connection. Nothing has changed on either end as far as I know. I took the speed test and it says that my bandwidth is 300. 400 is required to watch games. Like I said I have not had a problem all year. Anything I can do to speed up the connection? It has been very frustrating because the reds have lost every game I havent been able to watch. Thank for any help. You might be helping the reds get back on track if you can help me:-)

MaineRed
09-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Getting a message when trying to listen to audio on the net that says, "mms is not a registered protocol."

Help?

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Rob,

I was going to PM you but for some reason that's not an option.

My problem has to do with Fantasy Football screens (the League Overview and My Team pages). It may be important to note that I do not have this problem with Fantasy Baseball.

The page does not display fully, spilling off the screen on the right. This forces me to move my screen to the left in order to see the information on the right of the screen. It appears that the Status column is way too wide, forcing the stat information off the screen.

The biggest problem this creates is that I can't see the player names and their stats at the same time... I have to move back and forth to get all the information, which is seriously annoying. I often mismatch the stats with the player because of it.

I'm truly not looking forward to an entire season of having to cope with this annoying problem (in two leagues). Can you offer any help as to how I can fix this?

Thank you.

westofyou
09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I was going to PM you but for some reason that's not an option.

Because he's been banned, for his delightful demeanor I suppose.

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Because he's been banned, for his delightful demeanor I suppose.

Oh. I guess I've never read any of his posts.

Anyway, can anyone else help me with the problem I explained above?

BuckWoody
09-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Oh. I guess I've never read any of his posts.

Anyway, can anyone else help me with the problem I explained above?
What's your screen resolution TB? You could up that and have the entire screen appear without having to deal with the scroll bars. What site do you use, CBS Sportline?

Red Leader
09-12-2006, 03:43 PM
What's your screen resolution TB? You could up that and have the entire screen appear without having to deal with the scroll bars. What site do you use, CBS Sportline?

I just saw her post on our league page and I said the same thing. I am set on 1280 x 1024 and have no problems viewing the full page. The football page is more spread out so I could see where that would cause a problem with a bigger font size, whereas baseball does not.

TB- I responded to your post in our league home page (although I called you TM---OOPS! :laugh: ). Let me know if this fixes your problem or if you have any other questions.

westofyou
09-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I just saw her post on our league page and I said the same thing. I am set on 1280 x 1024 and have no problems viewing the full page. The football page is more spread out so I could see where that would cause a problem with a bigger font size, whereas baseball does not.

TB- I responded to your post in our league home page (although I called you TM---OOPS! :laugh: ). Let me know if this fixes your problem or if you have any other questions. You can always change the text size of your browser as well, that might help without changing the screen size.

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you very much guys.

I've done the text size thing and it doesn't seem to help... I have mine set on medium and I tried small, to no avail.

I'll try the resolution. Right now it's set on 800 x 600 (I'm assuming you're talking about the resolution setting in Properties, correct?).

My fantasy is in Yahoo Sports... seems weird that the baseball is fine but the football isn't.

Anyway, thank you again... both of you. I'll let you know (actually you'll know anyway because I'll be crying for help again).

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Well, I went up one setting (1024x768)... it worked... but I HATE it. Everything is so tiny even though I increased the text size and now my internet pages don't fill the screen and there's a think black "frame" around each page... but I can see everything in my Fantasy Football!!!

I guess ya just can't have everything. I put it back the way it was and I'll just change it when I'm doing my FB each week.

Thanks again!

Nugget
09-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Crash - FYI - Lenovo are the people who took over/bought out the IBM PC/Laptop division. Chinese company - no real information on reliability performance yet but they sure do advertise.

StillFunkyB
09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I work at a hotel at night and watch all the reds games through mlb.com around 2 am after they have ended. We have hispeed wireless and all year I havent had any trouble watching the games. This past week however the connection has slowed down so much that I cant watch the games longer than a couple of minutes without the video lagging. What could be the reason for this sudden lost in speed? Is it the pc or connection. Nothing has changed on either end as far as I know. I took the speed test and it says that my bandwidth is 300. 400 is required to watch games. Like I said I have not had a problem all year. Anything I can do to speed up the connection? It has been very frustrating because the reds have lost every game I havent been able to watch. Thank for any help. You might be helping the reds get back on track if you can help me:-)

Have your night auditor reboot the router/switch. That might help.

StillFunkyB
09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Crash - FYI - Lenovo are the people who took over/bought out the IBM PC/Laptop division. Chinese company - no real information on reliability performance yet but they sure do advertise.

And I think I just read recently that they are dead last when it comes to environmental issues. Apparently, they don't really give a rats behind about their pollution. Something like that.

Yes, they make IBM's lappy's, and PC's. IBM still has an "intrest" in them, however.