PDA

View Full Version : Wily Mo

cincrazy
07-27-2006, 11:59 PM
According to a scout that Jayson Stark of espn.com talked to, Wily Mo Pena is all but a goner come Monday night. Now obviously this one scout could be wrong, but the fact that his name is even being mentioned in trade talks in the Red Sox attempt to land a starter tells me that the Reds clearly got the best of the Red Sox and wonder boy Theo Epstein

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I really haven't been keeping up with the Red Sox and Wily Mo lately, but has he really played that much since being there?

dougdirt
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Pena has only played 40 games. Hitting .317/.377/.475 with 4 HR

keeganbrick
07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
I wonder what kind of a starting pitcher Pena could actually land?

Scrap Irony
07-28-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd offer Milton for him. ;)

Dunner44
07-28-2006, 12:22 AM
.317 is pretty good for Wily Mo. But he was platooning with Trot Nixon even when he was healthy, so that helps inflate your numbers when you can focus exclusively against righties or lefties (see: Hatteburg, Scott).

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Give them Claussen, and then deal Larue and cash to K.C. for Redman? Huh, haa! :thumbup:

Blue
07-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Okay, so what is Jim Bowden going to trade to get Wily Mo?

WMR
07-28-2006, 01:35 AM
If Wily Mo gets a chance to go to a team where he can be the starting Centerfielder, a lot of people are going to be surprised at how he performs defensively.

He was ALWAYS better as a CF'er, and, furthermore, showed marked improvement over spans when he played Centerfield every day.

I'm OK with the BA trade, I guess, although it further highlights how badly Kriv got jobbed with Kearns and Lopez, but it would have been fun to see how much offense an outfield of JR - Wily Mo - Kearns w/ Dunn at 1B could have produced over an entire season.

MartyFan
07-28-2006, 03:36 AM
I bet he ends up in KC for Redman.

blumj
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I bet he ends up in KC for Redman.
Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep tonight, either. Boy, this trade deadline can't come fast enough.

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I think it would be great for Wily Mo to go to a non contender like Tampa or KC that would just hand him the job and let him play.

Even though he's better in CF, he should be a lot better defensively than he is.

cincrazy
07-28-2006, 01:31 PM
I just don't know if Wily Mo will ever hit right handers on a consistent basis. I haven't looked at the stats, but I have a feeling that a big part of the reason his average is so high is because the Sox pretty much play him strictly against left handers. In fairness to Wily Mo, he's never truly been given a shot. But I know one thing, the best thing for his career is NOT right field at Fenway Park.

jmble
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I just looked it up and it might be surprising here.

Against Lefties, he has 49 abs hitting .204 with a ops of .611

Against righties, he has 71 abs hitting .394 with an ops of 1.022

Is that right? I got it from sportsline.

That seems very backwards to me.

Handofdeath
07-28-2006, 01:45 PM
In fairness to Wily Mo, he's never truly been given a shot.

In all fairness to Wily Mo, except for a propensity for hitting long homers, he's never earned a shot.

blumj
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I just looked it up and it might be surprising here.

Against Lefties, he has 49 abs hitting .204 with a ops of .611

Against righties, he has 71 abs hitting .394 with an ops of 1.022

Is that right? I got it from sportsline.

That seems very backwards to me.
Yes, he hasn't been platooned much at all. He played CF when Crisp was on the DL, then Wily Mo went on the DL when Crisp came off it. He's only been off the DL about a week, and it apparently takes a while after hamate bone surgery to get fully back to normal. And those lefty righty splits are very small samples, it probably says more about the quality of left handed pitchers the Red Sox have faced so far than about him.

BenHayes
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Give them Claussen or Milton for him. Maybe even Dumatrait to bring him back. The Reds will need a run producer when Griffey hangs 'em up not to mention right now if he were to get hurt. Not to take anything away from them but I cringe at the thought of both Freel and Denorfia in the same lineup. It wouldn't matter if Dunn were to drive in 200 runs the Reds would have major problems.

puca
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM
If Dunn drove in 200 runs by himself then I'd say Denorfia and Freel would have to be getting on base at a pretty good clip.

That would be some sort of record or something.

ThornWithin81
07-28-2006, 02:32 PM
I'd laugh if we could get him back for a lesser pitcher.

Pack your bags Milty! :thumbup:

BRM
07-28-2006, 02:33 PM
There seems to be quite a few posters that are down on Denorfia these days.

BenHayes
07-28-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not down on Denorfia or anything but a team can only field so many slap hitters and win. With Freel, Clayton, Denorfia, and to a lesser extent Phillips and Hatteberg, not to mention the other guys on the bench the Reds just have to many. Even the designated slugger off the bench Valentin has become a non factor at the plate again.

blumj
07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Would anyone be at all surprised if the Red Sox are dangling Wily Mo at Bowden to try and worm their way into a 3 way deal involving Soriano? Because my first thought, back when I heard they'd traded Arroyo for him, was that they wanted him as much for his value as Bowden bait as anything else.

TeamBoone
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Wily Mo has been handled badly... part of that is the fault of his contract, but not all of it.

I'd love to see him go to a team where he gets regular playing time which, IMHO, will translate to success.

I wish him nothing but the best and hope that someday he will get that shot.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Wily Mo has been handled badly... part of that is the fault of his contract, but not all of it.

I'd love to see him go to a team where he gets regular playing time which, IMHO, will translate to success.

I wish him nothing but the best and hope that someday he will get that shot.

He's a great player, and has the potential to hit 40 homers a year. He hits the ball harder than any player I have ever seen.

Matt700wlw
07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Krivsky 1 Epstein 0

Reds stole Arroyo. :thumbup: