PDA

View Full Version : Former N'Sync singer comes out of the closet

savafan
07-28-2006, 03:25 AM
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-07-27/

Former 'N Sync singer Lance Bass has revealed he is gay and is in a "very stable" relationship with The Amazing Race reality TV star Reichen Lehmkuhl. The 27-year-old was afraid of coming out as a homosexual during his time with the US boy band because he feared his sexuality would damage the group's commercial prospects. He tells People magazine, "I knew that I was in this popular band and I had four other guys' careers in my hand, and I knew that if I ever acted on it or even said (that I was gay), it would overpower everything. I didn't know. Could that be the end of 'N Sync? So I had that weight on me of like, 'Wow, if I ever let anyone know, it's bad.' So I just never did." Since the boy band leaped to fame in 1997, his bandmates Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez and Joey Fatone have been romantically linked to a host of female celebrities, but Bass' love life has remained low-key. He adds, "The thing is, I'm not ashamed - that's the one thing I want to say. I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I've been my whole life. I'm just happy. The main reason I wanted to speak my mind was that (the rumors) really were starting to affect my daily life. Now it feels like it's on my terms. I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else that I worry about." Bass is currently developing a TV sitcom with Fatone in which his character will be a homosexual. Fatone was the first 'N Sync member to find out Bass' sexuality. He says, "He took years to really think about how he was going to tell everyone. I back him up 100 percent."

StillFunkyB
07-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm not gonna touch that one.

RedFanAlways1966
07-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Good for him. I hope he has peace of mind.

Steve4192
07-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I am shocked.....
Absolutely shocked.....

Never saw this one coming.
[/sarcasm]

Benny-Distefano
07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Next thing you'll tell me is that Elton John is gay.

yeah right!!!!

Seems to me that N Sync should hold a press conference to announce if any of them are NOT gay. Otherwise they are just stating the obvious.

Blimpie
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Not that there is anything wrong with that....

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Newsflash: Liberace was too.

Benny-Distefano
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Newsflash: Liberace was too.

So was Rock Hudson.

Or, if this was the Flintstones... "Rock Rockstone is Rockier than a Rock-Cake." :D

But again, to quote Castanza, "Not that there is anything wrong with that."

ThornWithin81
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Good for him. I hope he has peace of mind.

Amen. Although I do believe the real question is, who didn't think he was gay. ;)

Red in Chicago
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
i went grocery shopping today and happened to see lance on the cover of people magazine as i was standing in line...in big letters it reads "I'm Gay"

it made me chuckle...:laugh:

RedFanAlways1966
07-28-2006, 03:08 PM
It seems like it was obvious to most. I didn't know. Probably has something to do with the fact that I like stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden and the like. Could not tell you the name of a single N'Sync song title (or Boys to Men or 98 Degrees or etc, etc, etc). I had heard this guy's name b/c of the Russian Pay $$$ to Go Into Space Program.

Now that I have made it known that I am one of few who had no clue... I also do not really care about his sexuality. Nor do I care about yours or anyone elses (except my wife). I wish everyone could just keep that info. to themselves. WHO CARES!??!

With that being said... <hypocrite> I am heterosexual. Ahhhhh, I feel better. Thanks for caring.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
i wish a hollywood or musical type would actually have a press conference to announce he or she is straight...now that would be a shock

CySeymour
07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
i wish a hollywood or musical type would actually have a press conference to announce he or she is straight...now that would be a shock

Why not...Mike Piazza did.

Matt700wlw
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
A boy band member is gay?

What is the world coming to??!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
A boy band member is gay?

What is the world coming to??!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Yeah, I thought the whole point of being in a boy band was to get underage chicks. ;)

I remember back when N'Sync first got big, it seemed like Lance Bass was the one who got invited to appear on game shows and as a guest star on other TV shows. Then suddenly it was Justin Timberlake getting all the PR, and Lance Bass faded from view.

This explains that. I guess word got around Hollywood.

Yachtzee
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
I remember back when N'Sync first got big, it seemed like Lance Bass was the one who got invited to appear on game shows and as a guest star on other TV shows.

Not unlike Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynde.

Tony Cloninger
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Not as schocking as Rob Halford.......but then again.....i did not equate the leather get ups he wore when i was in my early teens...as a clue to an underground lifestyle.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
I heard R. Kelly is still "Trapped in the Closet"; someone help him out!

WVRed
07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Why was I hoping to open this thread and see Justin Timberlake's name?

dman
07-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I heard R. Kelly is still "Trapped in the Closet"; someone help him out!
Maybe Lance or someone else can give him a "shove" from behind:devil:

redsrule2500
07-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Wow, so shocking. Come on, just look at him - definetly gay.

BoydsOfSummer
07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Did you hear about the gay midget?

He came out of the cupboard. <badda-boom badda-bing>

TeamBoone
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Monday, July 31, 2006

Bass' boyfriend is native of Cincinnati
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS AND THE ENQUIRER

Lance Bass' boyfriend, Cincinnati native Reichen Lehmkuhl, says he is thrilled that the former 'N Sync star revealed that he is gay.

"I will say that Lance is happier than he has ever been," said Lehmkuhl, who won season four of "The Amazing Race" on CBS. "It has been a long ride and it's a huge relief, and I couldn't be happier for him and I couldn't be more proud of him."

Bass, 27, decided to "speak my mind" because rumors about his sexuality were starting to affect his daily life. The singer also said he is in a "very stable" relationship with Lehmkuhl, 32, who attended St. Ann's Elementary in Groesbeck, where he was known as Rick.

He moved to Boston with his mother when he was 10. He graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy, and went to California to be a flight instructor and model.

'N Sync, known for a string of hits including "Bye Bye Bye" and "It's Gonna Be Me," went on hiatus in 2002.

"Lance is one of my great friends," 'N Sync's Justin Timberlake said. "I support him and wish him all the happiness in the world."

Lehmkuhl told "Access Hollywood" that Bass' sexuality will not affect his career. "No, not at all," he said. "I think it is always best in your career to be honest.

"He is going to have more support and more happiness and more freedom than he has ever had before and it is going to be a liberating experience. I guarantee it."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060731/ENT/607310305/-1/back01