PDA

View Full Version : Denorfia?

joeredleg
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Why isn't he playing, did I miss something?

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Ryan Freel???

RBA
07-28-2006, 09:00 AM

Ken Griffey Jr?

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Adam Dunn???

Gandalf the Red
07-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Because Selig demanded that we give the other WC teams a fighting chance?

ChatterRed
07-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Freel's bat is too hot and he is a baserunning threat. Period. And Griffey is tearing it up! (hahaha)

crazybob60
07-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Wow, I thought we were going to go through the whole 40 man roster there for a second. I would say he isn't playing for some of the same reasons that Edwin isn't playing. Narron feels that Freel should be out there more often just like he feels Aurilia should be out there more often for Edwin.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Wow, I thought we were going to go through the whole 40 man roster there for a second. I would say he isn't playing for some of the same reasons that Edwin isn't playing. Narron feels that Freel should be out there more often just like he feels Aurilia should be out there more often for Edwin.
If this team were 48-54 instead of 54-48, I'd guess you'd be seeing more of Deno and EE. Of course, this year, if they were 48-54, they'd still be in the Wild Card hunt, so maybe not.

Heath
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
It's all Rich Aurilia's fault.

Really.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
It's all Rich Aurilia's fault.

Really.
Yup... darn him for playing well! Just darn him!

Heath
07-28-2006, 09:20 AM
If this team were 48-54 instead of 54-48, I'd guess you'd be seeing more of Deno and EE. Of course, this year, if they were 48-54, they'd still be in the Wild Card hunt, so maybe not.

If they were 38-64 we'd probably see a lot of EdE & Deno.

The other positive would have been no more Jerry Narron.

OesterPoster
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I suspect we'll see him in the lineup tonight to give Freel a break. It looked like Freel turned his ankle and had a minor hand injury last night, so maybe he needs a night off?

Though, on second thought...Freel is one of only a few guys who touched Ohka for a hit last week.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
I suspect we'll see him in the lineup tonight to give Freel a break. It looked like Freel turned his ankle and had a minor hand injury last night, so maybe he needs a night off?

Though, on second thought...Freel is one of only a few guys who touched Ohka for a hit last week.

For some reason, we always make oriental pitchers look like GODs.

OesterPoster
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
On the topic of Ohka...Brandon Phillips has 3 hits off Ohka this year, with 2 of them being HRs. So we know that Freel won't be playing second tonight, unless Jerry Narron has a complete brain fart......oh nevermind.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM

Narron never really has been much of a Freel or Edwin fan.

Denorfia is a utility player at this point, at most. His offense lacks compared to his defense and speed.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Narron never really has been much of a Freel or Edwin fan.

I would like to add here that it was Narron who played EE virtually every day after his callup last season.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I would like to add here that it was Narron who played EE virtually every day after his callup last season.

And Freel almost every day when Jr was down earlier this year. And almost every day since the big trade.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 09:45 AM

He quickly lost hope? Haha, I have no idea why he's not playing at this point though. :p:

As far as Freel goes....who else would he start? Wise? It's like a no-brainer.

Steve4192
07-28-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm guessing it has something to do with the 432 OPS he has posted since being called back up after 'the trade'.

The Reds aren't going to bench the guys with big salaries and a history of performance (Griffey, Dunn) and they aren't going to bench the guys provinding the up-the-middle defense (Phillips, Clayton). Meanwhile, all the guys who are competing with Deno for playing time are raking.

Aurilia - 967 OPS in July
Freel - 1050 OPS in July
Encarnacion - 1146 OPS in July
Hatteberg - 1174 OPS in July

I'd keep his fanny on the bench too. OTOH, I'd sacrifice a little defense to find a way to get EdE's bat into the lineup.

oneupper
07-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Denorfia is a utility player at this point, at most. His offense lacks compared to his defense and speed.

We know this after a total of 5 games?

Tools of Ignorance
07-28-2006, 10:11 AM

Not to be picky, but food is oriental. People are Asian.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Not to be picky, but food is oriental. People are Asian.

Thanks. But you're wrong.

Oriental - Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.

Straight from Webster's Dictionary. Anything else you would like to refute? :D

Asian can be used, but so can Oriental. They are both correct.

Tools of Ignorance
07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks. But you're wrong.

Straight from Webster's Dictionary. Anything else you would like to refute? :D

Again, no offense. Websters states "of or relating to". It does not state "the people".

It may indeed be correct via Websters. However, some Asians find the term Oriental offensive. Just a little insight. You can't please everyone.

Steve4192
07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I've always preferred the term 'celestial'.

flyer85
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
You know they would only bring him up when he could play everyday. :rolleyes:

big boy
07-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Again, no offense. Websters states "of or relating to". It does not state "the people".

It may indeed be correct via Websters. However, some Asians find the term Oriental offensive. Just a little insight. You can't please everyone.

Dictionary.com says: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oriental

Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 10:53 AM

I find being called a Gringo, Honky, or Cracker rather offensive too....but it's still said, and more often than not.

Fact is, there's many things we could say to offend people....'Oriental' should be the least of their worries.

Enough of that though. Let's get back on topic. This could have been taken up via PM if it offended you. :rolleyes:

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I find being called a Gringo, Honky, or Cracker rather offensive too....but it's still said, and more often than not.

Fact is, there's many things we could say to offend people....'Oriental' should be the least of their worries.

Enough of that though. Let's get back on topic. This could have been taken up via PM if it offended you. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of calling everyone here "Occidentals."

bounty37h
07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
If they were 38-64 we'd probably see a lot of EdE & Deno.

The other positive would have been no more Jerry Narron.

Give Narron sh*# all you want, he has our boys in the playoff race, when is the last time any of the others did that??? I dont neccesarily understand all his moves, but we are in the picture, so.... I am sure if he fails, the Reds will realize you were right, and give you a call in the off season to replace him

schroomytunes
who cares!

registerthis

I'm sure "they" appreciate your advice.

Chip R
07-28-2006, 10:57 AM

Incorrect. The Reds always had Hideo Nomo's number.

westofyou
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Oriental?

Is my dad on the list?

What's next.. all women are "Gals?"

I rode my bike through Oriental Town just yesterday.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 11:01 AM
who cares!

Exactly.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 11:02 AM
What's next.. all women are "Gals?"

"Brawds... Broads..." My wife loves that one!

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Oriental?

What about ORENTHAL?

Orenthal J. Simpson? :laugh:

RBA
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM

No offense, but is "GODs" the correct term? I think they prefer to call themselves "Superior Supernatural Forces of Idol Worship. " GODs is so Ancient Greek. :help:

Actually I agree, "oriental" shouldn't be used in this day of age.

RBA
07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Incorrect. The Reds always had Hideo Nomo's number.

Danny Graves, a God? :laugh:

westofyou
07-28-2006, 11:08 AM

No doubt, it's like when I was in a Guatamalen place eating and this woman kept going on and on to this waiter about the earthquake in Mexico and how horrible it was, and how many of his family were affected?

Finally after some give and take she understood that he wasn't from there, had never been there and then he had to explain what Horchata was, all while she screwed her face up at that bit of info.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
No offense, but is "GODs" the correct term? I think they prefer to call themselves "Superior Supernatural Forces of Idol Worship. " GODs is so Ancient Greek. :help:

Oh well. I used it. Let's move on.

Anyway, back on topic. We did have Hideo Nomo's number. But, Kaz Ishii was always tough for us to hit....and Ohka has been as well. And I believe B-Hyung Kim was always a tough one for us too.

RichRed
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM

You've actually been called a honky? Do you live next to George Jefferson?

In the year 1983?

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 11:14 AM
You've actually been called a honky? Do you live next to George Jefferson?

In the year 1983?

Yup. I've been movin' on up! :thumbup:

VR
07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
No doubt, it's like when I was in a Guatamalen place eating and this woman kept going on and on to this waiter about the earthquake in Mexico and how horrible it was, and how many of his family were affected?

Finally after some give and take she understood that he wasn't from there, had never been there and then he had to explain what Horchata was, all while she screwed her face up at that bit of info.

speaking of Mexican restaurants woy, have you been to Pambiche? I had lunch there for the first time yesterday, fantastic.

westofyou
07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
speaking of Mexican restaurants woy, have you been to Pambiche? I had lunch there for the first time yesterday, fantastic.
I have, a couple of times... but I've been to the bar across the street a mess of times more (Laurelthirst) but Pambiche is more Cuban than Mexican, 20 years in California spoils one on Mexican and "Oriental" ;) food.

VR
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I have, a couple of times... but I've been to the bar across the street a mess of times more (Laurelthirst) but Pambiche is more Cuban than Mexican, 20 years in California spoils one on Mexican and "Oriental" ;) food.

yeah, that Cuban sandwich I had was a giveaway...being the king of sarcasm, I didn't think I needed to throw a ;) on there.
That glisan/ 28th area has turned into quite the culinary hotspot

Wheelhouse
07-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Denorfia may be being floated in trades...the question: why not showcase him by playing him? Answer: he will still be viewed as a hot minor league "prospect" even if he hits up here for a few weeks. They may not want to risk injury to a major piece in trading plans. Just a thought.