PDA

View Full Version : mr castellini's comments

jmac
07-28-2006, 10:17 AM
when he took over i remember him saying the team would "bite the bullet" if in contention and take on payroll.also during the season he has made this comment.well...the reds are in contention.although the trade was made "to help" the team,they certainly didnt take on payroll.
bray i think can be a good one.majeski ,we shall see.
now in trade talks ,you hear nothing of reds.are they done dealing.
can we not expect the rolen or mcguire type acquisition like stl had?
if no then why ?was attendence not what he expected?no one good left on market?
this question was also raised in thread on ORG but not directly addressed.
if this team wanted to "bite the bullet" , looks like they could get another starter as the asking price on many is going down reportedly.
or there is tejeda...would i love to see him in reds uni. you bet.rich needs a good bat behind him in the 5 hole.
i am not in favor of trading bailey, bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.

Rob Dicken
07-28-2006, 10:23 AM
when he took over i remember him saying the team would "bite the bullet" if in contention and take on payroll.also during the season he has made this comment.well...the reds are in contention.although the trade was made "to help" the team,they certainly didnt take on payroll.
if this team wanted to "bite the bullet" , looks like they could get another starter as the asking price on many is going down reportedly.
or there is tejeda...would i love to see him in reds uni. you bet.rich needs a good bat behind him in the 5 hole.
i am not in favor of trading bailey bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.

Your post was a little tricky to read...

But, from what I can understand, I will say this: I believe one of our catchers is going to go before the deadline. It's going to either be LaRue or Valentin, as Ross is a bargain and produces well for being one.

HotCorner
07-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Castellini is willing to "bite the bullet" in regards to adding payroll. He won't block deals for guys like Tejada, Zito, etc if WK was able to pull off a deal unlike the previous ownership.

The Reds can not afford to deal Bailey, Votto or Bruce in any deal. Yet to get a marquee player those teams will require a prospect of their caliber. If WK can land a player of substance without mortgaging the franchises future, I will be quite impressed ... not that I'm not already impressed with him.

Spring~Fields
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Hopefully Castellini and Krivsky will be able to accomplish some serious upgrades during the offseason, when they have had more time to evaluate everything this season and player performances ect. and the opportunity presents itself. I just hope that he doesn't continue to go cheaper and older.

IslandRed
07-28-2006, 11:07 AM
If we're willing to make the sort of deal where our picking up money is the primary concern (as opposed to who we send back), that deal can probably be done in August. Teams holding potential rent-a-players that aren't quite ready to pronounce themselves out of it by Monday, might be in a couple of weeks. And the higher the price tag, the more likely it is a player gets through waivers.

RBA
07-28-2006, 11:11 AM
i am not in favor of trading bailey, bruce but as i said the asking price seems to be dropping.

When someone told you typing in caps was equal to shouting, I think you took it a little too far.

I'm seeing this type of grammar all over the internet. I'm a little disappointed it's allowed to flourish and grow. :thumbdown

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 11:18 AM
You got to wonder if of ole Wayne isn't feeling a bit gunshy after the Kearns/Majewski debacle. His political capital at this point has got to be low with Mr. Castellini.

I'm beginning to think no moves will be made.

Red Leader
07-28-2006, 11:23 AM
If we could take on a lot of money we could get Lieber and Abreu from the Phillies for practically nothing. I've heard that if you take Lieber off their hands with Abreu the asking price drops significantly. We'd probably have to give up one good prospect (Denorfia) and add several average prospects (Germano, Dumatrait, etc) to get the deal done. Imagine what those two would do to our team. 3-4-5 of Abreu, Dunn, Griffey. Yikes. Lieber in the rotation also helps.

M2
07-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Carolina queen,
She's a walking love machine.
I'd like to make her scream,
When I bite the bullet.
Bite the bullet.

Spring~Fields
07-28-2006, 11:29 AM
If we could take on a lot of money we could get Lieber and Abreu from the Phillies for practically nothing. I've heard that if you take Lieber off their hands with Abreu the asking price drops significantly. We'd probably have to give up one good prospect (Denorfia) and add several average prospects (Germano, Dumatrait, etc) to get the deal done. Imagine what those two would do to our team. 3-4-5 of Abreu, Dunn, Griffey. Yikes. Lieber in the rotation also helps.

I have a fancy for names like Tejada, Willis, M. Cabrera, Carlos Lee, upgrades like the Cards have made at times to improve their chances, and I was dreaming that maybe Castellini would have a fans fancy for those type of players also.

Benihana
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Castellini is willing to "bite the bullet" in regards to adding payroll. He won't block deals for guys like Tejada, Zito, etc if WK was able to pull off a deal unlike the previous ownership.

The Reds can not afford to deal Bailey, Votto or Bruce in any deal. Yet to get a marquee player those teams will require a prospect of their caliber. If WK can land a player of substance without mortgaging the franchises future, I will be quite impressed ... not that I'm not already impressed with him.

I would say that the Reds could afford to part with Votto or even Bruce in the RIGHT deal. If it means landing a marquee pitcher, I don't think you would have to ask Krivsky twice. You're telling me you wouldnt include Votto in a package to land Zito or Willis?

remdog
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm seeing this type of grammar all over the internet. I'm a little disappointed it's allowed to flourish and grow. :thumbdown

I'm with ya' on that one RBA. If this is the sort of stuff our schools are turning out maybe we should just close 'em. :(

Rem

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
So he doesn't capitalize and doesn't space between sentences?

Relax guys, it's a message board.

RBA
07-28-2006, 11:44 AM

maybeurrite?

ickey333
07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
You got to wonder if of ole Wayne isn't feeling a bit gunshy after the Kearns/Majewski debacle. His political capital at this point has got to be low with Mr. Castellini.

I'm beginning to think no moves will be made.

I would respectfully disagree with this line of thinking...especially calling the trade a debacle. The fact that the bullpen's numbers have improved and the team is 9-4 since the trade with almost minimal contributions from Majewski, Bray, and Clayton (especially Majewski) suggests that the trade is helping to address the very needs that Krivsky was trying to fill. I realize this is faint praise for the trade, but in its own way, the fact that the team is winning while one of the key components of the trade is performing so poorly has to almost be encouraging for Krivsky and the team. I doubt that even the worst critic of the trade thinks that Majewski will not return to being a solid component of the bullpen this year (and just as importantly for several seasons to come). Bray has been decent already and his upside has already been addressed in the many other posts on this trade. Clayton is what he is and I would love it if he was replaced yesterday.

I guess an even more important part of all this is if Krivksy and/or Castellini get gunshy less than one year into their tenures, especially when the team is way ahead of any reasonable expectations for competing for the playoffs, then the Reds have much bigger problems anyway.

GO REDS!

Mario-Rijo
07-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By Benihana
I would say that the Reds could afford to part with Votto or even Bruce in the RIGHT deal. If it means landing a marquee pitcher, I don't think you would have to ask Krivsky twice. You're telling me you wouldnt include Votto in a package to land Zito or Willis?

I have been thinking this also. I would definitely part with Votto for the right player(s), Bruce however it would have to be a tremendous player. 1Bmen I can live with dealing, COF's with that kind of talent/intangibles I am a little leary about swapping.

In fact let me be more clear. I would deal Votto in a deal for a Tejada, Soriano, Lee, Abreu, Zito, Willis, Cabrera and maybe Lugo if it was straight up just to use the names floating around.

I would deal Bruce in a deal for Cabrera and Maybe Willis (if we didn't part with any other big names), Zito if he would sign a reasonable LTC (completely unlikely)!

Of course we could get real imaginitive and Trade Votto, Bailey & Bruce for Kazmir & Young? :eek:

Boston Red
07-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I think you can knock Willis and Cabrera off the list. With each passing day, I think the Marlins are getting more and more confident that they might be able to sneak back into the Wild Card hunt. The Reds are awfully lucky that the Marlines started so poorly, because they would be tough to beat right now if the Reds didn't have the 5.5 game cushion on them.

ochre
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM

Then the terrorists have already won.

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I would respectfully disagree with this line of thinking...especially calling the trade a debacle. The fact that the bullpen's numbers have improved and the team is 9-4 since the trade with almost minimal contributions from Majewski, Bray, and Clayton (especially Majewski) suggests that the trade is helping to address the very needs that Krivsky was trying to fill.

Doesn't the fact that Clayton, Bray, and Maj have contributed minimally mean that they team is playing well in spite of the trade? I'm sure Cast is happy to see the surge in the W-L record though. I think if we make the playoffs, Cast will be happy and not analyze individual transactions.

Looking at the big picture, Wayne has moved this team forward a lot. That's what Cast will notice.

If the Phils want to dump Abreau and Cast is willing to pay him, heck yeah I make that deal. (Although Abrea's OPS is only about .030 higher than Kearn's was at the time of the trade ;) ).

Unassisted
07-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm figuring that Castellini isn't the obstacle to a deal getting done. It's more the lack of a deal to do that won't mortgage the future that is the obstacle.

This is far better than July of last year. At that time we were questioning whether our GM would know a good deal if it landed on his desk in a box with a shiny gold bow and whether our owner had two padlocks or just one on his wallet.

BTW, good punctuation and grammar rock.

ickey333
07-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Doesn't the fact that Clayton, Bray, and Maj have contributed minimally mean that they team is playing well in spite of the trade? I'm sure Cast is happy to see the surge in the W-L record though. I think if we make the playoffs, Cast will be happy and not analyze individual transactions.

Looking at the big picture, Wayne has moved this team forward a lot. That's what Cast will notice.

If the Phils want to dump Abreau and Cast is willing to pay him, heck yeah I make that deal. (Although Abrea's OPS is only about .030 higher than Kearn's was at the time of the trade ;) ).

It may have been twisted logic on my part, but essentially the fact that the team is winning in spite of the trade should suggest that when Majewski returns to his norms and as Bray continues to grow into his role, then the trade should start to pay dividends for this year (and I think if you look up "Royce Clayton" in a baseball dictionary, it will say "minimal contributions" anyway, so I don't see any hope for real improvement there).

The fact that the Reds are winning with Jr. mired in an awful slump, BP cooling off at the plate, and EE MIA is in its own way also a good sign. A good solid team will balance itself out over the course of a year and, while I do think we overpaid for the bullpen help for the present season (I still think the long-term effects of a trade with almost all young players should be how its ultimately judged), something had to be done to address that glaring weakness for the Reds to have any chance this year.

Overall, I agree with your assessment that the team has moved forward under Krivsky and I think it will continue to do so. The Reds still have a couple holes to fill this year if they want to stay in the race, and I have faith that if a good deal is there to be made then Krivsky will pull the trigger and continue to help this team move forward.

BTW, I obviously don't post much, but there is no other message board like this one. Thanks guys.

MaineRed
07-28-2006, 12:52 PM

I'm sorry, did anyone ask you what you thought?

The other day I responded to something you said and I was told to buzz off and that you weren't talking to me.

Well nobody asked for your opinion on this subject.

Your right, it is a message board and anyone can respond to anyone else. But those weren't your rules the other day.

Hypocrite!

VR
07-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Anyone remember tonyND (I think he went by a different handle before and after that one)?

Man that guy couldn't spell, but he had a great baseball mind. I think all the bashing finally ran him off the board.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-28-2006, 12:56 PM

I agree with the trading of Votto, we should be able to land a 1b in the next couple off seasons after Hatte is gone and maybe even a power hitting 1b at that, but I think with the aging Griffey in the outfield Bruce is pretty much untouchable. Looking at this team right now there is some older talent in the starting line up that won't be around alot longer. That being said I think its very important to make a run now before we have to start to scramble to replace guys like KGJ, Freel, Aurillia, and Hatte. We have some decent talent in the minors but once we start losing some of these core guys the "future" we are building for seems a ways off. I say spend some money now, make some from playoff revenue and then worry about the future in the offseason. If we worry too much about the future now we will always one year away from the big payoff year.

RBA
07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Anyone remember tonyND (I think he went by a different handle before and after that one)?

Man that guy couldn't spell, but he had a great baseball mind. I think all the bashing finally ran him off the board.

I'm able to work with people who can't spell. And if I use poor grammar or spell words wrong, I'm grateful for the correction. It doesn't bother me. The orginal poster obviously knows how to spell and I suspect that he was taught capitalization in school. For unknown reasons, he believes it to be acceptable in public to not use the skills he has learned.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-28-2006, 01:46 PM

:thumbup:

I still understood what he meant.

cincrazy
07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Castellini has been brilliant so far. I don't think that adding a guy like Lee or Soriano to be a 2 month rental would accomplish anything at this point. Let's face it, even with that kind of deal, in which we would mortgage our future, we still wouldn't win the World Series in all likelihood this year. And as far as a guy like Tejada is concerned, no thanks. He's getting up there in age, has many miles on that body at short, and has been suspected of steroid use. Is that a guy that you want to pay 38 million dollars for over the next 3 years, when we could use that cash to lock up some of our own young guys? There's no need to panic and make a big move just to make one. Even if this team somehow doesn't end up in the playoffs this year, I am very optimistic about the future of this club, something that I couldn't say a year ago today.

VR
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm able to work with people who can't spell. And if I use poor grammar or spell words wrong, I'm grateful for the correction. It doesn't bother me. The orginal poster obviously knows how to spell and I suspect that he was taught capitalization in school. For unknown reasons, he believes it to be acceptable in public to not use the skills he has learned.

I have the privelege of working with many who can't spell, or speak English. When they are in need of correction or even advice on how to better communicate, I take it to them in a graceful private forum, because it's more important to me for them to feel part of our community for who they are, not how much they are like the others.

Before someone is taught to spell, they are taught the skill of common courtesy and respect? "Poor spellers need not apply" isn't part of the Redszone credo. Is it therefore not acceptable to set those skills aside when dealing with our Redszone "community"? Back in the days before Redszone, it was common to bash those who couldn't spell, use correct grammar or clearly state a thought on the Reds board. We're better than that, aren't we?

By the way, this isn't a shot at RBA, he is a Red Blooded American after all ;).

Just my rant for the day on respect for others. :rant2:

cincyinco
07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a fancy for names like Tejada, Willis, M. Cabrera, Carlos Lee, upgrades like the Cards have made at times to improve their chances, and I was dreaming that maybe Castellini would have a fans fancy for those type of players also.

Nothing is wrong with Abreu aside from his power taking a bit of a vacation. He's still getting on base at a .429 clip. A LIFETIME OBP of .412 - 90 walks, 60 RBI. .280 hitter with a history of hitting closer to .300. Call me crazy, but I think Abreu is a pretty big name hitter.

M2
07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Nothing is wrong with Abreu aside from his power taking a bit of a vacation. He's still getting on base at a .429 clip. A LIFETIME OBP of .412 - 90 walks, 60 RBI. .280 hitter with a history of hitting closer to .300. Call me crazy, but I think Abreu is a pretty big name hitter.

Me too

cincyinco
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Me too

He'd certainly make me forget all about Austin Kearns..

:beerme:

And Jon Lieber in the rotation? He's not the best, but dang.. he's no Joe Mays. Sign me up for this deal, especially if its going to cost Denorfia, Germano, and taking on cash.

Where the heck do I sign up? Now just get me a new SS or 2B Krivs, and you've done well for yourself this year. VERY well. How can we add Jimmy Rollins to the deal? :p:

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 03:31 PM

I agree and would love to see BC/Kriv get wild and bring Abreu to town. Install him in RF. Move Freel to 2B, Philips to SS. Deno will have to tread some more water until Jr is moved from CF.

Spring~Fields
07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Abreu is a pretty big name hitter.

I won't be calling anyone crazy on this board. Abreu would be a nice addition also. Players that can be counted on to produce for the next 3-4 years making a big impact on the field, in the attendance, and taking pressure off of Dunn, Griffey, the pitching, et el. until Krivsky can build up the minor league talent in the reasonable future.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 03:39 PM
What would people be willing to give up to get Abreu (assuming a deal was possible)?

RBA
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I have the privelege of working with many who can't spell, or speak English. When they are in need of correction or even advice on how to better communicate, I take it to them in a graceful private forum, because it's more important to me for them to feel part of our community for who they are, not how much they are like the others.

Before someone is taught to spell, they are taught the skill of common courtesy and respect? "Poor spellers need not apply" isn't part of the Redszone credo. Is it therefore not acceptable to set those skills aside when dealing with our Redszone "community"? Back in the days before Redszone, it was common to bash those who couldn't spell, use correct grammar or clearly state a thought on the Reds board. We're better than that, aren't we?

By the way, this isn't a shot at RBA, he is a Red Blooded American after all ;).

Actually, I'm not correcting the person's spelling. And I'm not bashing his thoughts; am I? I'm 100 percent sure the original poster knows how to use basic grammar skills such as capititalization, but has chosen not to use it. Most likely because it's easier to type and has come to be acceptable on the internet.

Red Leader
07-28-2006, 03:42 PM
I think Lieber's contract for next year calls for $7M. Honestly, you'd think Krivsky would look for a F.A. pitcher this winter anyway, and I doubt he's going to find too many that he could sign to a 1 yr deal for $7 w/ a team option year the 2nd year.

I could live with Lieber being our #3 behind Arroyo and Harang.

Not sure how long Abreu's deal goes, but I know it's for a crap load of money. That would be hard for us to swallow. Abreu, Dunn, Griffey and Milton on this payroll. Yikes. That'd mean no money for Harang, Phillips, Ross, or Edwin going foward.

Maybe if we could get PHIL to take LaRue along with Denorfia, Germano and Dumatrait for those two, we'd be ok for this year. But going forward we'd be still pretty tight for cash...

zombie-a-go-go
07-28-2006, 03:47 PM
This is not the place for a grammar debate (take it to Off-Topic if you like), and some of you engaging in such would be well-advised to mind your tongue - no amount of proper grammar makes up for being a rude git. :)

Blue
07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
This is not the place for a grammar debate (take it to Off-Topic if you like), and some of you engaging in such would be well-advised to mind your tongue - no amount of proper grammar makes up for being a rude git. :)

This post gave me a very negative feeling, until you added :)

Blue
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Our biggest needs right now are a starting pitcher and a middle infielder. I'd love to get Betemit from the Braves to take care of the middle infield, but I just don't see any starting pitching out there that's worth making a deal.

Spring~Fields
07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
What would people be willing to give up to get Abreu (assuming a deal was possible)?

Tough but realistic question. I would think that Krivsky would have to use his resources to build up the teams pitching first, so that might make the desire for a big name bat that produces now an impossibility.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Tough but realistic question. I would think that Krivsky would have to use his resources to build up the teams pitching first, so that might make the desire for a big name bat that produces now an impossibility.

Very true. I started to reply that he could make this deal now and worry about pitching in the offseason but that is a butt load of sallary to take on, even if BC opens the pocket book and we unload LaRue.

Dare to dream, I suppose.

VR
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Actually, I'm not correcting the person's spelling. And I'm not bashing his thoughts; am I? I'm 100 percent sure the original poster knows how to use basic grammar skills such as capititalization, but has chosen not to use it. Most likely because it's easier to type and has come to be acceptable on the internet.

got it, case closed.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Would a deal of LaRue, Denorfia, Votto, Germano, Shafer, and Milton work for Abreu and Leiber?

Reds add $10 million in payroll for 2007, remember, to the deal.

Of course, Miltie already ran out his welcome in Philly, didn't he?

Red Leader
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think Milton would be too good of a bet to return to Philadelphia.

Only realistic way we could take on Abreu is if we traded Jr and LaRue in that deal.

jmac
07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
When someone told you typing in caps was equal to shouting, I think you took it a little too far.

then dont read it.if everyone isnt as perfect as others i guess that is your loss.i try to participate sometimes in this board but it is junk like this that makes me stay away when i do.
best,
bad grammar man

jmac
07-28-2006, 07:01 PM

thank you or should i say Thank You FCB

oh btw, i am not a fast typist and mainly chicken peck the keyboard which may be the reason a lot of us dont type as good as others.as far as our "schools" . 3.3 college gpa . i work around 60 hrs a week,and try periodically to catch up with the news on here.my grammer got me thru school , college, and a good job.sorry if it is offensive to "some" on a fan-friendly messageboard !:thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I don't think Milton would be too good of a bet to return to Philadelphia.

Only realistic way we could take on Abreu is if we traded Jr and LaRue in that deal.

Reminds me a lot of another great Philly star that this team missed out on due to being cheap. It is the kind of small-minded thinking that I wish would go away for this team.

Make the deal, make the playoffs, and bring the fans back with winning baseball. Then, suddenly, budgets become a lot less constricting.

Chip R
07-28-2006, 07:03 PM
You know, ever since I started reading the internet I would see people criticizing others for misspellings or improper grammer or some other crime. Usually the people doing the critcizing misspelled something in their post. Moral of the story: People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Also, this is not English class. If you have a problem with the way someone else posts, take it private cause most of us do not care.

Benny-Distefano
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
then dont read it.if everyone isnt as perfect as others i guess that is your loss.i try to participate sometimes in this board but it is junk like this that makes me stay away when i do.
best,
bad grammar man

My two cents?:

I liketomoveitmoveit!, I liketo I liketo, i liketomoveitmoveit! OH NO TECHNO!

:rockband:
BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE BUMBITA-BUDDA-DEE
:rockband:

...and that is my contribution to this thread. :beerme:

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 07:15 PM
[
BTW, I obviously don't post much, but there is no other message board like this one. Thanks guys.

Wow, 9 posts in 19 months.. Don't be so shy. :laugh: Good post.

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Would a deal of LaRue, Denorfia, Votto, Germano, Shafer, and Milton work for Abreu and Leiber?

Reds add $10 million in payroll for 2007, remember, to the deal.

Of course, Miltie already ran out his welcome in Philly, didn't he?

I don't think anyone would take Milton.

With Leiber making 7 million next year, and Abreu making 13.5 this year (and probably around that much next year), it is a lot of salary to take on.

However, that might drive down the cost in prospects. Maybe Cast will bite the bullet for 2007, realizing that Milton's salary rolls off the books then.

I've only read about the Millage-Abreau rumor. That does set the price a bit on the high side. It would probably take at least one of our crown jewels in AA to make this deal, but I think it's worth it if the team truly wants to win this year. Both Abreau and Lieber should be contributors for awhile.

jmac
07-28-2006, 07:26 PM
You know, ever since I started reading the internet I would see people criticizing others for misspellings or improper grammer or some other crime. Usually the people doing the critcizing misspelled something in their post. Moral of the story: People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Also, this is not English class. If you have a problem with the way someone else posts, take it private cause most of us do not care.

if i could say one more thing on this.i am a songwriter , and playwriter as well as reds fan.if you read my songs, plays etc that are handwritten ,you would find very very few flaws.i am "not" a good typist.i can barely type 2 words without messing up so i have others do my typing. on here ....i naturally do it. it goes something like this as far as sound: peck peck peck.
so many times i dont bother hitting the caps button because i have enough trouble hitting the letter buttons.there was basically no internet when i was in school and typing was not a big class to take.this may be the reason others as well as I , dont use caps as the beginning of every sentence.

as far as "biting the bullet",which i still have a copy of that statement;i didnt know if he was referring to
1 renting a player (zito type)
2 getting player under contract (tejada type)

ickey333
07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
[

Wow, 9 posts in 19 months.. Don't be so shy. :laugh: Good post.

I'm just trying to stay on the same pace as Milton and the number of quality starts per millions of dollars he's making...although after today's flurry of posts (3), I'm gonna have to now take a few months off :eek:

vermilion
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi, everyone. I just found out about this site via the Reds' Usenet group. I've been a poster there for years and thought I'd sign up over here as well.

On the topic of getting Abreu and Lieber from Philadelphia, I don't think that deal helps the Reds much at all.

Even with the Kearns/Lopez departures and Griffey's going in the tank lately, the team is still third or fourth in NL runs scored. You can never have too much offense, but I would rate that need far behind improvements to both starting and relief pitching. I would certainly be glad to have a player like Abreu in right field, but not for what it would cost to get him and definitely not what it would cost to keep him. If acquired, the 2007 Reds outfield salary would come in around $38 million (with some of Griffey's deferred). If the options for both Dunn and Abreu would be picked up for 2008, the outfield cost goes up over $40 million and also forces the team to keep Jay Bruce in the minor leagues at least until 2009 (not that he'd be ready yet, but...). Too much investment for an already effective offensive that already stands to improve with age the next couple of seasons.

On the matter of Lieber... yuck. He's acquirable, sure, but that's because he's been about as effective as Eric Milton has been. He's managed an ERA over 5.50 so far this year and opponents are hitting close to .300 against him, all atop of missing a month due to injury. That's not an arm that will help carry the 2006 Reds into the postseason, and certainly not one worth paying millions for. I'd rather WK hold onto his cash until the winter and look for a pitcher worth spending the money on.

VR
07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi, everyone. I just found out about this site via the Reds' Usenet group. I've been a poster there for years and thought I'd sign up over here as well.

On the topic of getting Abreu and Lieber from Philadelphia, I don't think that deal helps the Reds much at all.

Even with the Kearns/Lopez departures and Griffey's going in the tank lately, the team is still third or fourth in NL runs scored. You can never have too much offense, but I would rate that need far behind improvements to both starting and relief pitching. I would certainly be glad to have a player like Abreu in right field, but not for what it would cost to get him and definitely not what it would cost to keep him. If acquired, the 2007 Reds outfield salary would come in around $38 million (with some of Griffey's deferred). If the options for both Dunn and Abreu would be picked up for 2008, the outfield cost goes up over $40 million and also forces the team to keep Jay Bruce in the minor leagues at least until 2009 (not that he'd be ready yet, but...). Too much investment for an already effective offensive that already stands to improve with age the next couple of seasons.

On the matter of Lieber... yuck. He's acquirable, sure, but that's because he's been about as effective as Eric Milton has been. He's managed an ERA over 5.50 so far this year and opponents are hitting close to .300 against him, all atop of missing a month due to injury. That's not an arm that will help carry the 2006 Reds into the postseason, and certainly not one worth paying millions for. I'd rather WK hold onto his cash until the winter and look for a pitcher worth spending the money on.

Welcome to the board vermilion :beerme:

Great post to get your RZ career started :thumbup:

buckeyenut
07-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I have no fear ownership will pony up $$ if a deal is there to be made. I have more fear at this point that the kind of player we want to add to this team is not on the market. That said, Krivsky will do something else to help these guys IMO, especially if Germano has a bad start Saturday.

91OSUAlum
07-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I think we have to be realistic on what is out there.

Abreu and Lieber would be a bad acquistion. Abreu gets $15 mil next year and having $35 mil tied up in the outfield next year would not help us. Take that money and put it to pitching and a SS.

Castellini has already shown money was not an issue when he dumped Womack and Dave Williams. We got lucky the Mets took Williams off our hands but he is willing. But do not chase bad trades.

If the Reds were going to chase offense, they should go after Tejada or maybe Orlando Cabrera if Tejada is traded there. Cabrera is decent offensively and can pick it at SS.

RFS62
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM

:beerme:

2001MUgrad
07-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think its a situation where adding payroll is necessarily the problem. I think that could be done within reason. The problem is you don't want to completely mortgage your future for 1 season. Sure, a trade here or there that makes since for now and may cost you a little in the long run, maybe you do it.
The problem is with this year is that there are more buyers than sellers, which is going to drive up what it takes to get those players you need for the stretch run. Unlike some teams the Reds count on their farm system to bring up talent. If the Yankees had Homer Bailey and they could trade him now for a Willis, I think they do it. The Reds just cannot afford to do that. Heck, do they Reds have enough money to sign a player like Willis long term anyway?? With Bailey they will have him for a few years before he is ready to make the big contract if he turns out to be the real deal.

TeamBoone
07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
First, ya gotta find 'em.

After ya find 'em, ya gotta be able to make a deal that doesn't disrupt what's working for the team and that doesn't break the farm by giving up the future.