PDA

View Full Version : Could developments be leading to no Soriano trade?

Spitball
07-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I was shocked at how little the Brewers got for Carlos Lee. And the timing, why not wait until someone falls out of the Soriano bidding? I don't get it unless there are other developments underscoring the trade action.

If Lee brings an underwhelming package, does Soriano bring considerably more? Maybe not, and if that is true, Bowden might look foolish to deal Soriano with his team winning for anything less than a blockbuster package. It certainly didn't hurt his trading power with Lee being dealt so quickly.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the Washington/Bowden front.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 01:49 PM
I was thinking just the opposite. I was thinking that the Los Angeles California Anaheim Angels of Orange County will now feel they are forced to make a move to compete in the division and will make every effort to get Soriano.

Spitball
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Good point. Perhaps both Soriano and Tejada pushed Lee off the of the top buyers' wish lists.

Benihana
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I was shocked at how little the Brewers got for Carlos Lee. And the timing, why not wait until someone falls out of the Soriano bidding? I don't get it unless there are other developments underscoring the trade action.

If Lee brings an underwhelming package, does Soriano bring considerably more? Maybe not, and if that is true, Bowden might look foolish to deal Soriano with his team winning for anything less than a blockbuster package. It certainly didn't hurt his trading power with Lee being dealt so quickly.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the Washington/Bowden front.

with his team winning...winning what?
Soriano will be gone by Tuesday. Bowden rarely meets a trading opportunity he doesn't like. My prediction is Detroit will be his destination with Humberto Sanchez and Marcus Thames coming back in return. Anaheim would be my second choice with some kind of combination of Wood/Aybar/Kendrick and a pitcher.

flyer85
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
The Nats may do better getting the picks if they don't like any of the current offers.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
The Nats may do better getting the picks if they don't like any of the current offers.
Can they offer him arb?

Spitball
07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
with his team winning...winning what?

Sorry, baseball games.

Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.

The market might not be as kind as Bowden hopes.

Benihana
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Sorry, baseball games.

The market might not be as kind as Bowden hopes.

46-56? A little winning streak at the end of July doesn't mean as much when your team is 15 games out of 1st. Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.

cumberlandreds
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Tom Boswell of the Washington Post had a good column about this in today's paper. Sorry I don't have a link. But he's speculating that the Nats may keep him and try to sign him. Soriano has seemingly taken a liking for DC and the fans have really warmed up to him. He said even if they can't sign him they will gain two first round picks in next years draft which I took it to mean that Jimbo may just settle for that unless he can really rob someone of a ton of talent.

oregonred
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Tom Boswell of the Washington Post had a good column about this in today's paper. Sorry I don't have a link. But he's speculating that the Nats may keep him and try to sign him. Soriano has seemingly taken a liking for DC and the fans have really warmed up to him. He said even if they can't sign him they will gain two first round picks in next years draft which I took it to mean that Jimbo may just settle for that unless he can really rob someone of a ton of talent.

No way, Jimbo will move him or resign him by the 31st. Extra draft picks are not at all his thing. He's the ultimate ADD GM...

And we all unfortunately know Jimbo's 1st round draft record, especially when it comes to evaluating pitching ;)

puca
07-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Or Jimbo could be trying to drive up the price.

Spitball
07-28-2006, 03:09 PM

I'll bet this is the story you mention:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034317/

For weeks, the team has planned to use these days to get rich quick — rich in young prospects. The team's public posture, which contains plenty of truth, is that the club will simply answer the door if opportunity knocks. If it doesn't, they'll play out the season with the hand they've got. Then, if Soriano isn't re-signed as a free agent this winter by the Nats, Washington will get a first-round pick and a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds as compensation. "We think number one draft picks are precious. We like draft picks," Bowden said. "That's how the Mets and Braves were built." But Bowden doesn't prefer draft picks to young major leaguers who may be on the cusp of excellence, like the Tigers' Joel Zumaya, who throws 100 mph, or the White Sox' 6-foot-7 Brandon McCarthy, 23, who looked as impressive as any Chicago starter last September.

I really don't see why Soriano would bring that much more than Carlos Lee. Interesting, though, Texas would probably be the one buyer not interested in Soriano.

REDREAD
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
46-56? A little winning streak at the end of July doesn't mean as much when your team is 15 games out of 1st. Soriano will be gone by Tuesday.

I know that Wash isn't contending, but they've had a nice hot streak going of late.

I think Soriano will be traded unless he signs an extension (which is very unlikely).

Soriano can definitely fetch more talent than a 1st round draft pick. It's smart to trade him, and there are several teams interested. (At least 4 from what I've read).

flyer85
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Can they offer him arb?they can but he doesn't have to accept. He will be a free agent.

KronoRed
07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I still think he stays put, Bowden won't part with a 5 tooler for the going price

Spitball
07-28-2006, 03:39 PM
The trading of Lee should help Soriano's value. I can't understand why Melvin didn't wait until the last minute when the Soriano waters cleared up a bit. Surely the teams would have upped their antes for Lee once they determined that the asking price for Soriano was too high. Also, as I mentioned, the Rangers would have been the one buyer not interested in Soriano so did Melvin find them the only team with multi-focus willing to talk serious talks for Lee?

Or, were they the only team willing to trade players that might help the Brewers stay in the wild card race this season. If so, and I think that's likely, the Lee markets and Soriano markets were likely different. I'm just not sure why Lee wouldn't have brought much more.

dabvu2498
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
they can but he doesn't have to accept. He will be a free agent.
Thanks... wasn't sure what his status was.

Spitball
08-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I still think he stays put, Bowden won't part with a 5 tooler for the going price

Nice call, Krono. :)

I think Bowden is in a bit of a pickel, though. He has to sign Soriano now. Think any of the GM's he has ticked off in the past might know this and try to run the price up? Bowden's ego has always been his Achilles heal.

Matt700wlw
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Maybe Bowden thinks he can resign him.....and throw an absolute crazy amount of money at him.

Then again, maybe Bowden is still the idiot we all know he is. :D

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Nice call, Krono. :)

Thank you..I'll be here all week :D