PDA

View Full Version : Paging Mr. Arroyo...Mr. Arroyo, you have a telephone call...

max venable
07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
...where has he been?

July stats:

0-3 with a 5.45 ERA, 8 HR in 33 innings...Well, hey, Bronson...you're a real Red now...you must feel right at home now that you're pitching like the starters we've come to know and love (Dave Williams, Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Joe Mays, I could go on...). :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe Kearns was his best friend, and now he's lonely. :D

Hey, people are (wrongly) saying Dunn's recent hitting streak is because Kearns the clubhouse cancer is gone, so why couldn't the flip side be true?

Matt700wlw
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Slump....hopefully.

Pitchers have them too

James B.
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I hope this is just a joke. Comparing Arroyo to these guys is not fair. He has been the reds #1 all year. The guys you mentioned are washed up. Arroyo is just going through a slump, which all players have. If you take away 1 inning in his last start he has not been that bad. He has not been like he was earlier in the year but not horrible either.

Jeffro35744
07-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't forget, He has his personal Catcher back now!:)

KronoRed
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Returning to career norms? ;)

howyoufreelin
07-28-2006, 04:38 PM
He had pitched really good outing in his past two starts, allowing two runs over 15 innings, before the Houston disaster. pitcher's have bad starts. I would say he is in a slump.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I hope this is just a joke. Comparing Arroyo to these guys is not fair. He has been the reds #1 all year. The guys you mentioned are washed up. Arroyo is just going through a slump, which all players have. If you take away 1 inning in his last start he has not been that bad. He has not been like he was earlier in the year but not horrible either.

I think the point is that we're quick to jump to conclusions and set high expectations. Arroyo pitched like an ace for the first half of the season, so we conclude that he IS an ace and we expect him to perform like one.

When he doesn't, we're quick to hunt for reasons why.

In reality, it's like all of you have said -- he's going through a slump. He'll come out of it and pitch close to (or hopefully better than) his career norms.

crazybob60
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
He's just getting off to a slow second half...give him another start and I betcha he'll be back to his first half numbers.

James B.
07-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I think the point is that we're quick to jump to conclusions and set high expectations. Arroyo pitched like an ace for the first half of the season, so we conclude that he IS an ace and we expect him to perform like one.

When he doesn't, we're quick to hunt for reasons why.

In reality, it's like all of you have said -- he's going through a slump. He'll come out of it and pitch close to (or hopefully better than) his career norms.

I am not saying that he is always going to be as good as he was in the first half of the year. We all know that he is not that good. I also don't think people should compare him to pitchers lkie Joe Mays because of a few rough games.

registerthis
07-28-2006, 04:55 PM
you're pitching like the starters we've come to know and love (Dave Williams, Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Joe Mays, I could go on...). :thumbup:

The only thing Arroyo and those others have in common is that they both throw a white, spherical object.

The similarities pretty much end there.

keeganbrick
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
All he needs to do is get that 10th win under his belt.

blumj
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
All he needs to do is get that 10th win under his belt.
He needs the cornrows. I don't know what he's waiting for, he never gets the 10th win until he gets the cornrows.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
His arm will be ragweed by the end of the season with all the innings put on it.

keeganbrick
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
His arm will be ragweed by the end of the season with all the innings put on it.
If thats what it takes to win the NLCS.

Falls City Beer
07-28-2006, 05:26 PM
If thats what it takes to win the NLCS.

I totally agree. But I'm thinking the collapse is happening NOW.

Ltlabner
07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I totally agree. But I'm thinking the collapse is happening NOW.

Which colapse is that FCB, I've kinda lost track of all the collapses you've thought have happened this year....... ;)

I do hope Narron uses BA and AH much more wisely for the remainder of the year. We need those arms to stay in this thing.

Razor Shines
07-28-2006, 06:56 PM
...where has he been?

July stats:

0-3 with a 5.45 ERA, 8 HR in 33 innings...Well, hey, Bronson...you're a real Red now...you must feel right at home now that you're pitching like the starters we've come to know and love (Dave Williams, Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Joe Mays, I could go on...). :thumbup:
In his two previous starts he gave up a total of two runs, he had a bad night. He should not have been allowed to pitch to Berkman.

Matt700wlw
07-28-2006, 06:58 PM
In his two previous starts he gave up a total of two runs, he had a bad night.

How dare him ;)

max venable
07-28-2006, 10:18 PM
In his two previous starts he gave up a total of two runs, he had a bad night. He should not have been allowed to pitch to Berkman.
Yeah, but his stats are his stats...he's 0-3 in July with an ernie north of 5. :confused:

dman
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Keep in mind that in several of his quality starts, that inept bullpen at the time bent him over on more than one occasion.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-28-2006, 10:29 PM
He has been the reds #1 all year. .

I'm starting to think that Harang has been our number 1 guy all year, I think that he has been great for us this year, except for a few rough starts.

max venable
07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Keep in mind that in several of his quality starts, that inept bullpen at the time bent him over on more than one occasion.
Right...but his ERA is still 5.45 in July (which is actually worse than the bullpen's July ERA).

dman
07-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Right...but his ERA is still 5.45 in July (which is actually worse than the bullpen's July ERA).
Maybe it's a combo of the inept bullpen and the competition getting a better feel at the plate against him the second time around this season

James B.
07-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm starting to think that Harang has been our number 1 guy all year, I think that he has been great for us this year, except for a few rough starts.

I can't argue with you there. Harang has been great and is going to be a great pitcher year in and year out IMO. I think that it is great that the reds finally have two pitchers that could pass for #1's. It was looking like they was never going to get good starting pitching again.

realistic
07-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I think its cute that the same people defending Arroyo's July as a "slump" were the very same people that were so quick to say Guardado was a bad acquisition when he came over after a bad 15 inning span. Sure is nice to have a closer though aint it ?

I still have as much faith in Arroyo as I did April 30th, lets just keep sending him out every 5th day and smile.

I just find the perception odd, Arroyo has a true following its now obvious - and thats a good thing. Is he next to be elevated to Adam "Do no wrong" Dunn status?