PDA

View Full Version : So, Anyone Still Hating the Guardado Trade?

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2006, 12:32 AM
This was a GREAT deal by Krivsky. Granted, the one that followed was - well, that's another thread.

We'll never miss Travis Chick. Everyday Eddie sure looks like a guy who just needed a change of scenery. He may well play a vital role in getting this team to the playoffs this year.

You've taken a lot of heat for the Kearns/Lopez deal, Krivs, but I'd like to give you some props on this one.

TOBTTReds
07-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I didn't know there were a lot of haters of this trade. But, it does look good, but I still can't figure out why guys can't hit him.

The Baumer
07-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah, my father and I noticed that the hitters somehow keep swinging through his 87mph pitches. I just hope he isn't having a lucky run like Weathers did earlier in the season.

Phhhl
07-29-2006, 12:49 AM
This wasn't the bad trade. The most recent one was.

TeamSelig
07-29-2006, 12:50 AM
I want to change my name to TeamEveryDayEddie!

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2006, 01:07 AM
I didn't know there were a lot of haters of this trade. But, it does look good, but I still can't figure out why guys can't hit him.

There were PLENTY. I don't know if the initial trade threads still exist somewhere, but there were a lot of people who hated this trade.

Spitball
07-29-2006, 01:32 AM
This wasn't the bad trade. The most recent one was.

On the surface, maybe. I have to give Krivsky credit for recognizing a weakness and having the g'nads to address the problem. He put his job on the line by trading two regulars for set-up men. On the surface, it looked like a foolish trade. On another level, the man addressed a problem with courage and added bullpen depth and defense to a team that was in danger of sinking from contention. Bully for Krivsky. Not since Howsam had the 'nads to trade a premier slugger and a popular second baseman has this franchise seen accurate vision in addressing the team's needs. Bray and Majewski added all important depth to the Reds' pen and moved every member of that pen into more appropriate roles. If the trade needs to be judged on the superficial scale of talent for talent, maybe the Reds didn't win. But, if the trade is judged on needs, as in the Morgan trade, the Reds did very well.

RANDY IN INDY
07-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Guardado must be very deceptive coming to the plate. His arm angle is a little different from most pitchers. I'm wondering how these guys are swinging through that fastball, but it looks like it gets on them pretty quickly. I think he is truly a 1 inning guy because of the deception. Hope he continues to baffle NL hitters until Bray (the meat of the trade) can develop a changeup. With a changeup, the kid would be "flat out filthy."

princeton
07-29-2006, 07:04 AM
I loved the trade, and still think that he's setup and that they need a righty that will blow smoke. Toward that end, all they have are longshots and longlongshots

Standridge?

Salmon?

do the Trevor Hoffman thing, Rick Asadoorian.

Edskin
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Uh, Billy Bray has been pretty good for us as well. I love BOTH trades.

We're better in the bullpen
We're better in the field
We're a little worse at the plate

It's a trade-off I'll take anytime.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 12:13 PM
My thoughts at the time of the Guardado acquisition as well as other acquisitions/trades of 2006....

On Arroyo - Pena trade (3-20-06):

I must be one of the few that likes this trade.

On Phillips acquisition (posted 4-7-06):

In two full years at Buffalo he put up .760+ OPS, has added a little pop in his bat (8 HR's in 2004, 15 HR's last year) and he still hasn't turned 25. I'll take him over Bergolla or Olmedo, but that's not saying much.

I like it.

more...4-18-06

I'll take Phillips over Bergolla and Olmedo any day. Way higher ceiling. FCB, I think you better get used to BP, because he's not going anywhere for a long time. In fact, I think the Tribe will someday regret the decision to keep Ramon Vazquez on their roster instead of Phillips.

On Castro acquisition (6-16-06):

Krivsky, we were just starting to like you.

On Guardado acquisition (7-6-06):

Mark me down as thinking this is a low-risk/high reward move.

FWIW, my gut tells me that this will work out. He obviously started slow out of the gate (for whatever reason-out of shape?) and got rocked a bit early on. Since he lost closer duty, he has settled down fine in his last 19 appearances, dating back to 5-3.

You cannot discount the numbers he put up from in four seasons from '02 to '05.

234.67 IP
186 H
61 BB
223 K
1.05 WHIP

Maybe he has just been BABIP unlucky this year and needs a confidence boost and new scenery.

Either way, he's not the crap some are making him out to be and our bullpen just got a bit stonger (which is what everyone wants) and we didn't have to mortgage the future. I would have preferred us going after Tom Gordon, but that may have cost us some future, so this pick-up to me, is a fine balance of upgrading a weakness and not compromising 2007 and beyond.

I'm still not sold that this team can pull it out, but I think Guardado will be solid.

On Kearns Lopez trade with Washington (7-13-06, 7-14-06, & 7-20-06):

No trade would have been a better trade. You can pick up quality releivers in the offseason, sometimes for peanuts.

Just ask St. Louis with Josh Hancock.

I don't like the trade but at least Krivsky isn't afraid to hurt feelings.

Now, about that statue in CF. Denorfia is here now, so time to hurt more feelings, Wayne.

I think I could live with it too, but Clayton makes the whole deal smell.

I can live with Bray, just think Majewski is meat.

Krusty
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Question is do you bring Guardado back next year on a one year deal possibly?

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 12:17 PM

No. I go with Bray,Coffey, or (gasp) Eric Milton (as others have suggested).

Guardado will have served his purpose in 2006.

redsrule2500
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
No. I go with Bray,Coffey, or (gasp) Eric Milton (as others have suggested).

Guardado will have served his purpose in 2006.

Eric Milton?! I have yet to hear this. He's not exactly the best in a single innning (as we saw last night in his first inning). I don't see that making much sense.

max venable
07-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I'd bring him back.

wally post
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
It's a no brainer right now to bring him back!

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 01:18 PM
It's a no brainer right now to bring him back!

At what price?

Remember, he will 37 and his arm is barely attached to his body right now.

37red
07-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm glad they aren't hitting him but I think some batting coach will see a way to. He's just not over powering in any big way. If they'd leave his high pitch alone it would be a ball most of the time and he'd walk the bases loaded. From the batter's point of view it must be deceiving... but it's consistant and that's where it will get him into trouble. I think they better keep a second arm in the bull pen ready to throw in there in a flash to save the final inning if he starts to go down.

WMR
07-29-2006, 01:49 PM
If he's offered near league minimum with an incentive-laden contract based on number of saves or something like that it could make sense.

No more Paul Wilson deals.

PuffyPig
07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Eric Milton?! I have yet to hear this. He's not exactly the best in a single innning (as we saw last night in his first inning). I don't see that making much sense.

Last nights first inning problems were unusual for MIlton, he usually starts out strong, finished roughly. Last nights game was the bizarro.

wally post
07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
with G's arm - it seems to me his talent lies very much between his ears! so I think he will help the other relievers if he is around - obviously, we shouldn't pay him a fortune - just a good fair price - and that's not my job to determine.

REDREAD
07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
There were PLENTY. I don't know if the initial trade threads still exist somewhere, but there were a lot of people who hated this trade.

Yep, there were people complaining about his age, and that his numbers had been declining and there was little hope of him being anything but bad. To me, he was a perfect addition. You give up nothing (Chick) and you might get something good. They don't always work out (see Yan, Mays), but it's worth trying when you're desparate for pitching as the Reds are.

MWM
07-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I think there were people who thought Guardado was more of the same, but I don't think anyone hated it. It's hard to hate an acquisition when it isn't costing the team much in either talent or cash. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. I thought it made sense to give it a shot as his success was much more recent than some of the others who had come in and bombed.

TeamBoone
07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
His numbers declined because he was no longer closing, he was demoralized, and hated being a reliever because that's not something he does well (he said this in article at the time of the trade). The M's took him out of his element and he didn't do well.

07-08-2006

Guardado ready to help out
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

ATLANTA - Eddie Guardado had been looking forward to Thursday.

The Seattle Mariners had a rare off day at home, and Guardado's three children had just arrived in town from the family's year-round home in California. He was out taking his kids - Niko, Jakob and Ava Rose - out crabbing when Mariners general manager Bill Bavasi called to tell him he had been traded to Cincinnati.

"It kind of ruined the day a little bit," Guardado admitted. "But I always enjoy being with my kids, so I just tried to push it off a little bit and think about it when it was time to think about it."

A flight across the country to join the Reds Friday afternoon gave him ample opportunity to mull things over, and by the time he stepped into the visiting clubhouse at Turner Field he was raring to go. Known around the game for his gregarious nature, Guardado enthusiastically greeted the Reds he already knew - former teammates Eric Milton, Joe Mays, Rich Aurilia and Javier Valentin - and got plenty of love back in return.

"We need all the help we can get right now," David Weathers told Guardado as he introduced himself.

The 35-year-old left-hander will be happy to provide it. Before he had even taken the mound for the Reds, he laid out his approach to closing with a voice of experience.

"My job is to go out and hopefully close out the game while we're ahead, and whatever happens that night, good or bad, I will never have a complaint about anything," said Guardado. "I'll take the blame on everything, whatever it is. I'm a stand-up guy, I think. Hope- fully, it's always good, though."

Guardado's track record is impressive. He posted a 2.72 ERA and 36 saves in 58 appearances for the Mariners last season, but lost his job to hard-throwing youngster J.J. Putz earlier this year. Shunted into a mop-up role that had him working anywhere from the early innings to extra innings, Guardado felt the mental approach that helped make him so effective as a closer slip a bit.

It's hard to manufacture bottom-of-the-ninth intensity in the top of the sixth.

"My job lately was, whenever (Seattle manager Mike) Hargrove called on me, to be ready to pitch," he said. "And I was ready, but it wasn't the same. I was trying to find a way to get it back. I pitch with a lot of emotions - I need that edge out there. I don't blow people away, but I do throw strikes and keep that ball down and hopefully it works out."

The Reds will give him a chance to reclaim his edge and throw a life preserver around their sinking bullpen - all at minimal cost to them.

They sent one-day insurance policy Michael Gosling back to Louisville on Friday to make room for Guardado, and the Mariners will be paying the vast majority of Guardado's salary the rest of the year. The Associated Press reported that Seattle sent the Reds just under $2.6 million, which would cover most of what remains on the pitcher's $6.25 million deal. Guardado will be a free agent after this season.

Who knows? Maybe Guardado will find a more permanent home with the Reds, depending on how the rest of the season goes. All he knows is he has a job to do now, and an obligation to uphold next week. Rather than taking an extra day or so to get settled in Cincinnati, he's headed back to California on Sunday.

He gestured toward his locker, where he had unpacked his gear only minutes before and laid out several pictures of his children.

"I've got a camping trip with them, so I've got to stick to my trip with my kids," he said. "I always travel with them. They're my pride and joy, that's what we live for."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060708/SPT05/607080385/1027/SPT05

Krusty
07-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I would bring him back next year. He could be a mentor to Coffey and Bray. John Franco made his living as a closer especially in his later years. No reason why Guardado can't give us one more good season.

traderumor
07-29-2006, 04:05 PM
I would bring him back next year. He could be a mentor to Coffey and Bray. John Franco made his living as a closer especially in his later years. No reason why Guardado can't give us one more good season.Plus, the other "mentor," David Weathers would be redundant for yet another reason, so we could let him walk

princeton
07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
My thoughts at the time of the Guardado acquisition as well as other acquisitions/trades of 2006....

On Arroyo - Pena trade (3-20-06):

On Phillips acquisition (posted 4-7-06):

more...4-18-06

On Castro acquisition (6-16-06):

On Guardado acquisition (7-6-06):

On Kearns Lopez trade with Washington (7-13-06, 7-14-06, & 7-20-06):

uh oh, Narcissism Competition for princeton...

Cedric
07-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Nah, he clearly wins considering he was being serious.

Matt700wlw
07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Did Krivsky steal another one?

So far...so good.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:09 PM
uh oh, Narcissism Competition for princeton...

Funny thing was, that while I was digging through old posts, I was thinking of you.

Thanks.

I think.