PDA

View Full Version : David Bell to the Brewers.

guttle11
07-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Just saw it on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2533196

buckeyenut
07-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I don't get this. Why pick him up after moving Lee?

MrCinatit
07-29-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't get this. Why pick him up after moving Lee?

Maybe Dan0's calling the shots?

RANDY IN INDY
07-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Doesn't David Bell have a fairly large contract?

RBA
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Are the Brewers rebuilding or trying to win the Wild Card? Whatever the case, the moves they have done don't make any sense.

Hap
07-29-2006, 10:35 AM
because all they had to play 3B was Jeff Cirillo, and he is sub-par defensively

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Is Koskie injured?

Highlifeman21
07-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Doesn't David Bell have a fairly large contract?

4.7 Million this year, and is FA after this season.

This move makes zero sense for the Brewers.

PuffyPig
07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
The Brewers have not given up, far from it. If they had, they would have traded Lee for prospects, insted of fairly expensive players in Cordero and Mench. The Brewers even parted with a good prospect in the deal.

Cordero may even be a rental. He's making $4.5M this year, and the Brewers hold an expensive option. If he doesn't pitch well for the balance of the season, he may well have his option declined.

REDREAD
07-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Not a horrible move for the Brewers. I imagine they're trying to buy some goodwill with their fans as well.

At the end of the season, it's probably pretty safe to offer Bell arbitration. If he accepts, the Brewers can use him or trade him. If he declines, they get free draft picks. It's not as if Bell is going to get 12 million in arb.

westofyou
07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
At the end of the season, it's probably pretty safe to offer Bell arbitration. If he accepts, the Brewers can use him or trade him.

Who would want a 33 year old with a bad back and a lifetime OPS slightly above .700?

I would offer him the door, but never arb.. he's a fill in for all those injuries, if Melvin offers him Arb I'll be shocked.

He'll be set free the day after the season.

PuffyPig
07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Safe to offer Bell arbitration? It'd be safer to have Milton pitch in a phone booth.

Bell's making about $4M? per season, so you'd have to offer him at least $3.2M per season. He'd accept, no question, and then you'd be stuck with a poor hiting thirdbaseman you have no use for, and couldn't be traded without eating salary. No thanks.

Krusty
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Brewers know they couldn't wait if they still want to entertain wildcard thoughts in their heads. They need to take two out of three against the Reds. That is the reason for the moves.....just the same reasoning why Krivsky made the Washington deal to fix the bullpen. They couldn't wait or it could have meant being out of any shot of possibly getting into the playoffs.

Big Klu
07-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Is Koskie injured?

Koskie suffered a concussion some time ago, and he hasn't been able to shake the effects of it.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Koskie suffered a concussion some time ago, and he hasn't been able to shake the effects of it.

I don't know how the heck I missed that. Must have been on vacation I guess. Thanks.

REDREAD
07-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Who would want a 33 year old with a bad back and a lifetime OPS slightly above .700?

I would offer him the door, but never arb.. he's a fill in for all those injuries, if Melvin offers him Arb I'll be shocked.

He'll be set free the day after the season.

He's OPSing 743 this season. That's not terrible for a 3b. Not a superstar, but when all you have is Cirillo it looks pretty good. Kind of how Clayton looks good to some folks when the alternatives are presented.

He's making 4.7 million this season, not that out of whack salary wise for a FA 3b that OPS at that level who plays decent defense (not gold glove level, but decent).
I don't think he'd get a huge raise in arb.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 04:39 PM
He's OPSing 743 this season. That's not terrible for a 3b. Not a superstar, but when all you have is Cirillo it looks pretty good. Kind of how Clayton looks good to some folks when the alternatives are presented.

He's making 4.7 million this season, not that out of whack salary wise for a FA 3b that OPS at that level who plays decent defense (not gold glove level, but decent).

David Bell blows. He's one of the least dynamic players I have the displeasure of seeing too often on TV.

PuffyPig
07-29-2006, 05:06 PM

We are paying Hatteberg $750,00 this year, and signed hiom for $1.5M next season. That's what's called a reasonable contract.

$4.7M for Bell is considered reasonable and you'd be willing to pay him next year as long as he didn't get a huge raise??? I can't believe you said that. If you had a lineup of Bells, your team would suck and you'd have about $40M tied up in your starting 8.

He'll be lucky to crack $1M next season, unless some fool offers him arbitation.