PDA

View Full Version : Question: Which current Reds players are up for contract negotiations this offseason?

ChatterRed
07-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Where do Arroyo and Harang stand?

I'm trying to get excited about seasons to come and our pitching staff, but you never know who is going to bolt.

Redleg39
07-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Where do Arroyo and Harang stand?

I'm trying to get excited about seasons to come and our pitching staff, but you never know who is going to bolt.

As far a Arroyo goes, His contract with the Redsox when we acquired him, was a three year deal, through 2008, worth about $12 million.

Joseph
07-29-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd bet Harang gets a 3 year deal in the offseason based on his growth over the last two. Probably sometihng in the 3 year 15m range total.

Shaknb8k
07-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Here is a quick break down for next year

Under Contract:
Griffey, Milton, Dunn, LaRue, Arroyo, Freel, Hatteberg

Now with this next section I need some help. Maybe someone can go through and figure out who will be going to arbitration and who is still obligated to the Reds.
Not Yet Reached FA:
Harang, Ross, Claussen, Majewski, Belisle, Coffey, Encarnacion, Bray, Denorfia, Germano, Phillips, Ramirez, Shackelford, Standridge

Options:
Aurilia (2M mutual option), Castro (1M)

FA:
Guardado, Wilson, Weathers, Merker, Clayton,

Not sure about:
Gosling, Burns, Balfour, Valentin

Joseph
07-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Here is a quick break down for next year

Under Contract:
Griffey, Milton, Dunn, LaRue, Arroyo, Freel, Hatteberg

Now with this next section I need some help. Maybe someone can go through and figure out who will be going to arbitration and who is still obligated to the Reds.
Not Yet Reached FA:
Harang, Ross, Claussen, Majewski, Belisle, Coffey, Encarnacion, Bray, Denorfia, Germano, Phillips, Ramirez, Shackelford, Standridge

Options:
Aurilia (2M mutual option), Castro (1M)

FA:
Guardado, Wilson, Weathers, Merker, Clayton,

Not sure about:
Gosling, Burns, Balfour, Valentin

I think Ross, Coffey, Encarnacion, Bray, Deno, Ramirez, Germano, Shack, and Standridge can all be renewed while the rest should be arbitration eligible

Boss-Hog
07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
JaxRed's web site is by far the best I've seen for this sort of thing:

http://www.redsinsite.com/

ChatterRed
07-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Mercker and Weathers should be gone, IMO.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Mercker and Weathers should be gone, IMO.

they probably will both retire, IMO.

GOREDSGO32
07-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Mercker talked as if this was his last year, he said next year he'll be on the DL in some country club.

PTI (pti)
07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd bet Harang gets a 3 year deal in the offseason based on his growth over the last two. Probably sometihng in the 3 year 15m range total.

Aaron Harang will make FAR more than that. If he keeps up his current pace, he'll post the best pitching numbers by a Reds starter in 15 years. You'll have to go back to Danny Jackson in '88, or a couple of Jose Rijo's early 90's years to equal the numbers Harang will likely put up.

For christ's sake, even Eric (bleeping) Milton signed for $25.5 over 3 years. One positive move from the perspective of owners throughout baseball was Josh Beckett's contract - he signed for "only" $30 mill over 3 years.

My guess is he'll make somewhere in the neighborhood of what Milton got.

SirFelixCat
07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Aaron Harang will make FAR more than that. If he keeps up his current pace, he'll post the best pitching numbers by a Reds starter in 15 years. You'll have to go back to Danny Jackson in '88, or a couple of Jose Rijo's early 90's years to equal the numbers Harang will likely put up.

For christ's sake, even Eric (bleeping) Milton signed for $25.5 over 3 years. One positive move from the perspective of owners throughout baseball was Josh Beckett's contract - he signed for "only" $30 mill over 3 years.

My guess is he'll make somewhere in the neighborhood of what Milton got.

I agree. I thought Joseph's number was accurate had we pulled the trigger last year (as I promoted around May '05), but now, I'd love to see a 4-year $32 Mil contract...thoughts?

wheels
07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree. I thought Joseph's number was accurate had we pulled the trigger last year (as I promoted around May '05), but now, I'd love to see a 4-year $32 Mil contract...thoughts?

Harang's worth it, and they'll have some extra jack floating around due to the Kearns/Lopez deal.

Looks like Wayne took a look at what he would rather have, and chose Harang.

It's a great move for '07.

PTI (pti)
07-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Harang's worth it, and they'll have some extra jack floating around due to the Kearns/Lopez deal.

Looks like Wayne took a look at what he would rather have, and chose Harang.

It's a great move for '07.

The number I was thinking was 3 years and $20-25 million - but Harang just continues to improve. I would be hesitant to do a 4-year deal (before Pedro's 4-year deal with New York, I think the previous 4-year deal was all the way back when Chan Ho Park signed with Texas), but a 3-year deal with a club option for year 4 would work.

Whatever they do, they need to do it QUICK. Even though Arroyo went to the All-Star game, I've always thought Harang was the ace of the staff. The guy is an absolute bulldog - and *never* seems to tire. Signing him to a big extension would make a solid commitment to the future success of this ballclub. Arroyo is locked up thru '08, Ramirez has shown he's a quality 3rd/4th pitcher, and Bailey will be with the big club by next year.

Good lord - I thought I'd *NEVER* be talking about the depth of the Reds' pitching staff.....but I like it!

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Arroyo so far has just been lucky.

ChatterRed
07-30-2006, 11:58 AM

:rolleyes:

Whatever.

I like our first three starters - Harang, Arroyo, and Ramirez. And Milton hasn't been nearly as bad this year as he was last year. A future with Bailey and maybe someone we trade for makes this look promising. And our bullpen is getting stronger.

wheels
07-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Do you have anything to back that up?