PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Cards and Their True Value

Rex Argos
07-29-2006, 01:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=baseballcards/060725

Here's a link to a great story about baseball cards, and their true value. Before you dismiss this article as being about the monetary value of the cards, think again. This article touches on how baseball cards bring back memories of our childhoods. Well written, funny, and you'll recognize a few Cincinnati Reds.

Joseph
07-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Yahoo has an article today, there was one of FSN the other day.....whats up with baseball cards all of a sudden?

adampad
07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
This thread is so timely. Today my dad brought me a book of cards to look up the value of some (mostly worthless), but they did bring back so many memories. Memories of the cards themselves that have been hot commidities at some point to worthless, memories of players, and just life memories. I wish they still only had 3 big card companies and sold them for 50 cents a pack. I would start buying them again.

Rex Argos
07-29-2006, 02:49 PM
I remember getting my first pack of cards in the spring of '72. I think they were 10 or 15 cents per pack. I got Bench, Fisk, and Ken Singleton in my first pack. Probably should have stopped collecting right there, because it doesn't get much better than that!

I got a kick out of the writers' recollections about various obscure players who are only remembered because the writer had "doubles" of them. How come you never got doubles of the really good players? How come I got doubles of Bob Montgomery and Tito Fuentes--why not Morgan, Foster, and Bench?

Good Times.

RedFanAlways1966
07-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I got a kick out of the writers' recollections about various obscure players who are only remembered because the writer had "doubles" of them. How come you never got doubles of the really good players? How come I got doubles of Bob Montgomery and Tito Fuentes--why not Morgan, Foster, and Bench? Good Times.

My "old" buddies and I still joke about our youthful collecting days back in the mid-to-late 1970's. The guy we still mention today for "being in every pack" in those days was Pirates catcher Manny Sanguillen... we used to say that we got San-guillen'd if we got one player too much!

We also used to play a made-up game with dice. We were serious card buyers and each of us would come close (and occasionally do it) to getting the whole Topps set by buying single packs. Then we'd make out a lineup w/ the cards for each team and and play games. If I remember right, the rolls were:

2 = HR ; 3 = triple ; 4 = groundout ; 5 = lineout ; 6 = flyout ; 7 = K ; 8 = groundout ; 9 = single ; 10 = flyout ; 11 = double ; 12 = walk.

We kept pages of stats and even kept the individual stats of players. We spent hours playing games and keeping stats in spiral notebooks. Great times.

redleg32
07-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Tito Fuentes now there is a name for the ages.

Rex Argos
07-30-2006, 09:45 AM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/tito_fuentes_autograph.jpg

I gotta million of him, Don Kessinger, and Bob Aspromonte--who wants 'em?

KySteveH
07-31-2006, 01:23 AM
I always had tons of Len Sakata and Junior Kennedy doubles. But Manny Sanguillen too, I remember.

Redus
07-31-2006, 04:19 AM
in 77' the Topps cards had a game on the back. The guy would either have a hit, or some type of out. You could play your buddys stack against your stack. Well all I remember is Tito Fuentes card was a homerun!!! Theres a memory.