PDA

View Full Version : New era in Cincy? (merged)

redsfan4445
07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
"Another tasty nugget from Carroll on the Reds:

"They have one offer out on a player that would really signal a new era in Cincy, though it's unlikely to happen."

My own speculation? The offer is for Miguel Tejada. We know that they've kicked the tires. By the way, are you getting sick of the phrase "kicked the tires" yet?"

redlegs7089
07-29-2006, 09:08 PM
"They have one offer out on a player that would really signal a new era in Cincy, though it's unlikely to happen."
per mlbtraderumors.com

Any idea who there talking about?

redlegs7089
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
looks like we posted the same thread at the same time

redsfan4445
07-29-2006, 09:10 PM
lol i was just thinking the same thing.. hey mods can you combine??

KoryMac5
Big name has to be Zito I have heard they offered a package of Wood Votto and Cueto for him on another board. Era though means long term so maybe it is somebody who is signed for a few years Tejada?

Redsfan08
Cant see it.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 09:12 PM
That would be sweet Clayton sucks and if Phillips goes to ss he is gonna suck he is not that good neither.

redlegs7089
07-29-2006, 09:12 PM
sorry guys it was coincidental that someone else posted the same thread at the same time

Brutus
07-29-2006, 09:13 PM
I think it would be a bigger name than Zito.

That said, even if it's a Miguel Tejada or something, I won't get my hopes up.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I think it would be a bigger name than Zito.

That said, even if it's a Miguel Tejada or something, I won't get my hopes up.

Thats good me neither although I would love to have Zito and/or Tejada.

CRedsLarkin11
07-29-2006, 09:50 PM
I'd like to have either but I've got a strange feeling we'll be quiet this weekend especially with all of this talk of a blockbuster

penantboundreds
07-29-2006, 09:55 PM
he is not that good neither? what does that mean...and how do you know

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 09:57 PM
he is not that good neither? what does that mean...and how do you know

Well If Phillips cant play second base that good how is he gonna play short stop which is way harder then second base.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I think we will be queit the rest of this year.

James B.
07-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Well If Phillips cant play second base that good how is he gonna play short stop which is way harder then second base.

Phillips is excellent at second.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Phillips is excellent at second.

true but what happended to his bat.

Shaknb8k
07-29-2006, 10:13 PM
any idea what we would have to give up? Im sure Bruce would be but its hard for me to believe that Kriv would give up Bailey. Plus a lot more.

corkedbat
07-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Bailey goes - starter comes back or Krivsky goes - nuff said
Although I can see him doing something for Tejeda + Lopez or Bedard (wouldn't like it though).

James B.
07-29-2006, 10:23 PM

He is slumping but still having a solid year. He is still exceding everybodys expectations.

top6
07-29-2006, 10:23 PM
so just to clarify will carrol has said nothing about the reds going after tejada, despite the title of this thread - right?

Blue
07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Okay, the title of this thread is WAY off the mark. Will Carrol said the Reds made an offer that would signal a new era, and then mlbtraderumors.com speculated that it was Tejada.

It turns out, Carrol was referring to Craig Wilson. I don't know why he thinks that would signal a new era, something about taking on money, but I do know that he never said that the Reds had an offer out for Tejada.

Blue
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
so just to clarify will carrol has said nothing about the reds going after tejada, despite the title of this thread - right?

right!

Reds4Life
07-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I edited the thread title, please don't post misleading info in thread titles.

corkedbat
07-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Okay, the title of this thread is WAY off the mark. Will Carrol said the Reds made an offer that would signal a new era, and then mlbtraderumors.com speculated that it was Tejada.

It turns out, Carrol was referring to Craig Wilson. I don't know why he thinks that would signal a new era, something about taking on money, but I do know that he never said that the Reds had an offer out for Tejada.

Craig WILSON? A new Era of Suck? Actually I wouldn't mind Wilson on the bench for a bench price, but a new Era? Puuullleeeezzzeee!

Shaknb8k
07-29-2006, 10:33 PM
so mlbtraderumors said it was maybe Tejada.....i could see where you could confuse Tejada with Craig Wilson....I heard they were also looking at Brian Giles....or was that Rich Garces i cant really remember

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know if it's Miggy, They almost had a deal for Tajada earlier and something fell apart. This team needs a starter and needs one yesterday!

As for Brandon Phillips terrible at any position because of his bat is just bogus on your part. Brandon has been a middle infielder all through the minors for Cleveland and was actually touted for his defensive abilities at SS.

11larkin11
07-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Phillips is out of his slump now. His bat is a plus, he is supposed to be pure defensive.

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 10:40 PM
If Freel, Dunn, Griffey, and whoever is hitting in the 4, 5, and 6 holes are doing their job then the Reds can afford to have BP strugging at the plate because he will take away hits and save runs with his defense and with the Reds pitching staff you need a solid defense. IMO he is like Pokey Reese (with more power) and we all know what Pokey meant to the 99 team.

goreds2
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
I think we will be queit the rest of this year.

Midnight Monday. (Zito :pray: )

Jpup
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
That would be sweet Clayton sucks and if Phillips goes to ss he is gonna suck he is not that good neither.

can you use any other word when talking about a player?

Reds4Life
07-29-2006, 10:42 PM

I was starting to wonder that very thing.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 10:43 PM

Not good is that better

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Midnight Monday. (Zito :pray: )

4:00 p.m. Monday.

jnwohio
07-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Now I have no clue whether there might be any accurracy in this "new era in Cincy" rumor. However I do have an idea what I think a new era would be. Forever, the Reds have been know as bashers who won when they had just enough pitching to see them through. So to me a new era infers a legitimate #1 joining the rotation to go with Harang (who is getting close to that himself) and Arroyo.

It also infers to me that more heavy lumber might be going the other direction to help acquire the new ace. The way Dunn is playing now and with him locked up for 2 more years aty a good rate, I doubt he would be traded at this. Perhaps Jr. and/ or Encarnacion and some combination of the young bashers (Votto and Bruce).

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Honestly this team could use Tejada more than Zito. They need a consistent RH bat to put in the 4th spot. RA isn't going to get it done and EE won't get the chance.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Honestly this team could use Tejada more than Zito. They need a consistent RH bat to put in the 4th spot. RA isn't going to get it done and EE won't get the chance.

I too think they need another big time bat. Thought so for awhile.

But they definitely still need that killer at the top of the rotation.

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM

But they definitely still need that killer at the top of the rotation.I'm just not sure that is available. I don't think Zito will be traded.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm just not sure that is available. I don't think Zito will be traded.

I don't think Zito's going anywhere either.

But if the Giants had a lick of intelligence they'd be trading Schmidt. That team sucks.

Ltlabner
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM

FCB, for once I am in total agreement with you. We might be able to squeek by this year with neither of these but the stars, moon and sun would have to be in perfect allignment. Throw in another power hitting run producer and a starting rotation stud and the chances for big time success this year go way up, as does the chance for long term success.

GOREDSGO32
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't trading Griffey signal a new era? Does this rumor refer to someone we could GET or lose?

GOREDSGO32
07-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Also I don't see that sentence on the website .. what topic is it under?

Jpup
07-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Wouldn't trading Griffey signal a new era? Does this rumor refer to someone we could GET or lose?

Jr. isn't going anywhere.

EKURed
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM

Absolutely ZERO chance Junior would even think of approving any trade. This team is ADDING...not subtracting.

Jim Schue
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM

I've been thinking the last couple weeks one of the thing the Reds need is a RH big-time RBI guy. But my wish list looks like this:

No. 1 starter
No. 5 starter
RH bat something that makes them less vulnerable to LHP
true leadoff guy (a CF if Griffey were to be among those traded in another deal)

GOREDSGO32
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Absolutely ZERO chance Junior would even think of approving any trade. This team is ADDING...not subtracting.

Addition by subtraction IMO.

ChaseReds
07-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Also I don't see that sentence on the website .. what topic is it under?
addux Leaves With Tip Of Cap

Many are speculating that Greg Maddux's excellent performance today against the Cardinals was his last as a Cub. He got the win and departed to a standard ovation, tipping his cap to the Chicago faithful.

In other Cubs rumors, Will Carroll mentions today in his latest Will's Mill update that "the Cubs have received some indications that Aramis Ramirez is going to opt out of his contract at the end of the season, putting them in the same situation that the Brewers were in before moving Carlos Lee."

Though many Cubs fans may not want to admit it, there's a very solid chance Ramirez tests the market. Does he love Chicago so much as to forego extra years and millions of security? Doubtful. Since when have the Cubs ever gotten a hometown discount, anyway? Sammy Sosa and Kerry Wood seemed to get a hometown surcharge in their massive deals. I suppose there was Andre Dawson, but that's about it. This is Jim Hendry's best shot to secure two young position players (and one had better be an outfielder).

Another tasty nugget from Carroll on the Reds:

My own speculation? The offer is for Miguel Tejada. We know that they've kicked the tires. By the way, are you getting sick of the phrase "kicked the tires" yet?

KYRed
07-30-2006, 12:09 AM
Breaking news. I've got it on good authority here!

The Twins just found out that Torii Hunter's injury is worse than expected.

As a result, they have a great need in CF and also, due to their displeasure at Francisco Liriano for having the nerve to give up 2 runs in 8 innings last night...the Twins have decided to trade Liriano for Griffey. When asked about the salary disparity, the Twins GM was quoted as saying Lirano and Griffey's contracts were "close enough" that no cash will be exchanged in the deal.

I think I might like the deal. Liriano might be decent enough to be our #5 starter ther rest of the way out. Maybe not though if Claussen comes back soon.

smith288
07-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Breaking news. I've got it on good authority here!

The Twins just found out that Torii Hunter's injury is worse than expected.

As a result, they have a great need in CF and also, due to their displeasure at Francisco Liriano for having the nerve to give up 2 runs in 8 innings last night...the Twins have decided to trade Liriano for Griffey. When asked about the salary disparity, the Twins GM was quoted as saying Lirano and Griffey's contracts were "close enough" that no cash will be exchanged in the deal.

I think I might like the deal. Liriano might be decent enough to be our #5 starter ther rest of the way out. Maybe not though if Claussen comes back soon.
Perfect reason there's a Live! forum.

GOREDSGO32
07-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah .. right. Nice joke.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Perfect reason there's a Live! forum.and why some may always reside there. :laugh:

Hey Meat
07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
I think trading Junior is what we are talking about here. I also think it is for a stud pitcher since we sent Germano back down. Claussen rehab starts on Monday. I don't think its a lock that he's ready Saturday. Something is probably brewing. I hope so anyway. Certainly the Nationals trade isn't all that Kriv has up his sleeve.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I think trading Junior is what we are talking about here. probably not, Jr can veto any deal so unless he was going to a sure playoff team I would say it is unlikely.

ChaseReds
07-30-2006, 12:20 AM
My 2.78 Cents on the Trade Deadline:

I think there will definitely be a trade (not this one for Tejada…please not for CW either), but there will be a trade. If you all remember the Blockbuster trade there was one clear signaling for the trade.

I have been looking for the article the Reds FO posted the day before the trade was announced (sorry no luck yet but I have spent the past 40min looking in the archive). The article basically said “The players did there part, now it’s the Managements turn to do there part.” While some of you might think I have been sniffing a bit to much White-Out (and I am not) the first thing I said after that article was “What just happened.”

I was referring to what trade just happened. The Reds FO has a cunning ability to let its fans get ready for what is about to come. If you remember the JR. trade there was an article referring to a “whole new ball game,” days before the announcement.

Now the most recent article I refer to is: “Krivsky ready for deadlines.” While some of you reading this might not agree this article points to a trade- just remember the Reds FO does all it can to cover its back. By that I mean this- Cincy has had a bad reputation for sports for a long time. Most PR and FO’s try there best to let the fans know (especially in this town) that they are “doing there best” and “doing there job.”

Oh by the way...this is just a rumor and pure speculation over the years of being a Reds, Bengals and UC fan.

:D

sonny
07-30-2006, 03:27 AM
the best bet, in my humble opinion, is if there is a trade, it will most likely be talent for talent. someone looking for an aurillia or larue could swap out a #4 starter or veteran outfield help. two contenders looking to fill their holes.

but i have been smoking crack, so...

Krusty
07-30-2006, 09:33 AM
For the first time in five years, I have to admit I'm real excited to see what Krivsky is going to do to possibly make this team a strong contender for the stretch run.

That beats the previous years when we just sit back and see who Bowden and O'Brien would deal to acquire marginal prospects and save a few bucks.

MaineRed
07-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Perfect reason there's a Live! forum.

Why, is kidding around not allowed on ORG? I think he was joking. You can't tell me you took him seriously? Especially when he says:

"due to their displeasure at Francisco Liriano for having the nerve to give up 2 runs in 8 innings last night...the Twins have decided to trade Liriano for Griffey."

redsfanfalcon
07-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Is this Will Carroll or Will Ferrell?

wheels
07-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow.

This is like a Reds.com thread.

Worst thread in months.