PDA

View Full Version : this was posted on reds.com fan forum.. Reds close to a deal

redsfan4445
07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I was reading the reds.com fan forum.. a poster said this was said on WLW anybody heard this???

"Reds get: mark redman
royals get: 2 minor league prospects!!

not official yet but its close its beening talked about 700 wlw but I Dont know it depends on redmans no trade clause he has a no trade clause they said!!"

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Mark Redmond sucks:thumbdown

redlegs7089
07-29-2006, 10:32 PM
who are the prospects

Shaknb8k
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I know someone out there is listening to WLW right now.....let us know whats going on

Edit: just saw where the guy made the post around 3:00 so i figure someone would have heard about it since then.

Blue
07-29-2006, 10:40 PM
sounds made up

justincredible
07-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I hope this isn't true. I don't think Redman would help us at all.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 10:49 PM
I want Zito

Playadlc
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Mark Redman couldn't consistently strike out Aaron Harang.

No thanks.

Royals Fan
07-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Living out here in Royals land- Moore wants pitching and more pitching so if the reds made a deal with him bet it be 2 minor league pitchers maybe an wood and someone else. Just my thoguhts.

jesusfan
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Wood?? Yea right...

LINEDRIVER
07-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see Redman in a Reds uni in the near future.

He got off to a rough start this year in Kansas City. He was 0-4 with a 6.35 ERA and 2.29 WHIP thru May.

However, since June 1st, he has straightened himself out quite a bit. Since June 1st, he is 7-1 with a 4.05 ERA and a 1.39 WHIP. IMO, the 32-year-old lefty could fit nicely into the back end of the Reds rotation.

corkedbat
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd put Wood in the rotation before Redman - hopefully nothing more than a Josh Hall and Phil Dumatrait if true - I might even balk at that.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see Redman in a Reds uni in the near future.

He got off to a rough start this year in Kansas City. He was 0-4 with a 6.35 ERA and 2.29 WHIP thru May.

However, since June 1st, he has straightened himself out quite a bit. Since June 1st, he is 7-1 with a 4.05 ERA and a 1.39 WHIP. IMO, he could fit nicely into the back end of the Reds rotation.

He still sucks

MrCinatit
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Was this the same guy who started the rumour that we were getting Willis, Cabrera and Tejada?

LINEDRIVER
07-29-2006, 11:17 PM
He still sucks

The upside is that he doesnt suck as hard as some of the other crap we have.

If we are in the wildcard hunt, I'd rather have Redman and his experience over Germano and his inexperience.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 11:20 PM

If we are in the wildcard hunt, I'd rather have Redman and his experience over Germano and is inexperience.

true

goreds2
07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
I know someone out there is listening to WLW right now.....let us know whats going on

Edit: just saw where the guy made the post around 3:00 so i figure someone would have heard about it since then.

http://www.700wlw.com/pages/streaming.html

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Mark Redmond sucks:thumbdown
I agree, I'm not sure he could do what Germano did tonight. I like what Kriv is doing but he doesn't need to bring in former Twins. Now if he wants to bring in Hunter, Liriano, or Santana then we would be talking but I don't think the latter will happen.

James B.
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I think Redmond would be better than any 5th starter the reds could get out of their own organization(Bailey not included). If the price is not too high I say pull the trigger.

11larkin11
07-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Was this the same guy who started the rumour that we were getting Willis, Cabrera and Tejada?

Yea, it was. He also stated earlier in the year that we had completed a trade for Pokey Reese. Then, during the ASG, he said we had completed a Dunn and Bailey for Tom Gordon and Brett Meyers deal, but they were wating for after the ASB to announce it. He also said last night that we were very close to getting Zito or Maddux.

Redsfan08
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Yea, it was. He also stated earlier in the year that we had completed a trade for Pokey Reese. Then, during the ASG, he said we had completed a Dunn and Bailey for Tom Gordon and Brett Meyers deal, but they were wating for after the ASB to announce it. He also said last night that we were very close to getting Zito or Maddux.

that would be sweet

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
I want Zito

We don't have Lastings Milledge

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
We don't have Lastings Milledge
No but we did have DeWayne Wise.:D

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
No but we did have DeWayne Wise.:D

Well not unless he excepts to head back to AAA.. he was DFA today. But I guess I see your point because they do have 10 days to trade him or have him accept a trip back to AAA or lose him to FA

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Well not unless he excepts to head back to AAA.. he was DFA today. But I guess I see your point because they do have 10 days to trade him or have him accept a trip back to AAA or lose him to FA
I was really being sarcastic comparing Wise to Lastings but I doubt anybody will trade for him in the 10 days but I do think someone will pick him up after that.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I hope not. He isn't any better than what we have.

But he is AN EX-TWIN :angry:

KoryMac5
07-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Are we talking about the same Mark Redman who has lost 15 games in a season twice in his career. Thanks but no thanks.

Team Clark
07-30-2006, 12:46 AM

If we are in the wildcard hunt, I'd rather have Redman and his experience over Germano and his inexperience.

Not to mention he knows how to pull himself out of a "slump" whereas Claussen and a cast of others do not. I'd take the bait.

Jim Schue
07-30-2006, 01:00 AM
If the price is small, what's the harm? But only if the price is quite small.

GOREDSGO32
07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Redman is an ALL STAR pitcher, enough said. ;)

TeamBoone
07-30-2006, 01:19 AM
The Reds don't need a #1 (Zito) and would have to give up to much for him.

Redman sounds like a good alternative without having to give up the farm. I also like Meyer.

LINEDRIVER
07-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Are we talking about the same Mark Redman who has lost 15 games in a season twice in his career. Thanks but no thanks.

I'd like to see a 32-yr-old Redman with his experience over Claussen or Germano in the 5th spot while we chase the wildcard spot. I'm not projecting him to make 2 or 3 starts in the World Series. Unless something better comes along before the deadline and if we can get him cheap, I think it's worth a gamble.

Yes, he lost 15 games two different times. Gee, I won't hold that against him considering it was the 2002 Detroit Tigers and the 2005 Pittsburgh Pirates. In 2003, he rebounded with a 14-9 year with the Marlins. Since June 1st of this year, he's 7-1.

He has averaged 190 innings and 30 starts a season from 2002 thru 2005. If one of the other starting four gets hurt or goes bad then we will have an experienced guy to move up a spot in the rotation.

He's owed approx 1.6 mill over August and Sept of this year.

Jim Schue
07-30-2006, 02:06 AM
I'd like to see a 32-yr-old Redman with his experience over Claussen or Germano in the 5th spot while we chase the wildcard spot. I'm not projecting him to make 2 or 3 starts in the World Series. If we can get him cheap, I think its worth a gamble.

Yes, he lost 15 games two different times. Gee, I won't hold that against him considering it was the 2002 Detroit Tigers and the 2005 Pittsburgh Pirates.
In 2003, he rebounded with a 14-9 year with the Marlins. Since June 1st of this year, he's 7-1. He averaged 190 innings a year from 2002 thru 2005. If one of the other starting four gets hurt or goes bad, at least we will have an experienced guy to move up a spot in the rotation.

He's owed approx 1.6 mill over August and Sept of this year.

Very good points. I'm willing to give him a pass over who he used to play with, not indifferent from the pass I'm willing to give Cory Lidle (who I think the Reds can get, and I hope I don't regret them doing so).

flyer85
07-30-2006, 02:07 AM
The #5 spot in the rotation and the difference between Claussen/Germano/Redman is not going to make or break this team.

What they really need is a SS who can actually play defense and a RH bat that is actually good enough to hit cleanup.

A guy like Redman is not going to change this teams fortunes.

wheels
07-30-2006, 02:16 AM
I keep hearing how folks want Cory Lidle.

Anybody remember the last time he pitched for the Reds?

How would THAT help this club reach the post season?

Sometimes nothing is better than something, or in Lidle's case, anything.

Screw that anything stuff.

Jim Schue
07-30-2006, 02:33 AM
I keep hearing how folks want Cory Lidle.

Anybody remember the last time he pitched for the Reds?

How would THAT help this club reach the post season?

Sometimes nothing is better than something, or in Lidle's case, anything.

Screw that anything stuff.

I know Lidle wasn't all that special while here. But I think he's superior to Claussen or Germano. Why not try him while he's hot?

LINEDRIVER
07-30-2006, 03:00 AM
The #5 spot in the rotation and the difference between Claussen/Germano/Redman is not going to make or break this team.

What they really need is a SS who can actually play defense and a RH bat that is actually good enough to hit cleanup.

A guy like Redman is not going to change this teams fortunes.

Until the Reds come up with something better, Castro should be playing much more shortstop than he has lately.

I'm thinking that a guy like Redman might change the team's fortunes with the theory that Redman could win at least 2 more games than a Claussen or a Germano type over the last 2 months of the season. Those 2 extra wins could be the difference in winning or not winning the wildcard spot. Redman is 7-1 since June 1st. Claussen hasnt done squat nor has he shown any positive consistency this year. Now I'm reading that Germano was shipped back to Louisville after Saturday night's game with the Brewers.

realistic
07-30-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm thinking that a guy like Redman might change the team's fortunes with the theory that Redman could win at least 2 more games than a Claussen or a Germano type over the last 2 months of the season. Those 2 extra wins could be the difference in winning or not winning the wildcard spot.

Excellent point. He may not be the big star name people want, but id be thrilled (yes - thrilled) to get a legit major league arm to stick in the rotation with some form of confidence. Pitching comes at a premium and guys of his caliber are not to be taken for granted.

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Excellent point. He may not be the big star name people want, but id be thrilled (yes - thrilled) to get a legit major league arm to stick in the rotation with some form of confidence. Pitching comes at a premium and guys of his caliber are not to be taken for granted.

By guys of his calibur, are you referring to the ERA north of 5.00 or the K/9 rate south of 4?

Because, if that's what qualifies as a "legit" major league arm, then my Brian Reith rookie cards might be going up on eBay tonight.

Royals Fan
07-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Just an heads up- Redman is suppose to start today against the Rangers in Texas.

realistic
07-30-2006, 03:54 AM
By guys of his calibur, are you referring to the ERA north of 5.00 or the K/9 rate south of 4?

Because, if that's what qualifies as a "legit" major league arm, then my Brian Reith rookie cards might be going up on eBay tonight.

Yeah you all said the same thing about Arroyo back in March.

Its not rocket science. The guy has averaged 190 ip with an ERA of 4.37 for the past 4 years. Any team with 5 guys like that will win a lot of games.

If i had more time id like make a list of how many pitchers have averaged 190+ IP with an ERA under 4.50 over that same time period. i think youd be shocked , and maybe a bit less sarcastic. Did Reith even have 190 IP in his career?

sonny
07-30-2006, 03:57 AM
is he worse than mays, germano, claussen, williams?

me thinks no

realistic
07-30-2006, 04:11 AM
If i had more time id like make a list of how many pitchers have averaged 190+ IP with an ERA under 4.50 over that same time period. i think youd be shocked , and maybe a bit less sarcastic. Did Reith even have 190 IP in his career?

quick check , I may have missed some names but i do see 13 players.

Buehrle, Zito, Moyer, Oswalt, Sheets, Garland, B.Lawrence, Sabathia, Schmidt, Halladay, Wakefield, M.Morris, Mussina.

Thats pretty good company. All legit arms. Well, I dont know about Wakefields 'arm' but hes a good pitcher.

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Yeah you all said the same thing about Arroyo back in March.

Its not rocket science. The guy has averaged 190 ip with an ERA of 4.37 for the past 4 years. Any team with 5 guys like that will win a lot of games.

I'm on record as liking the Arroyo-Pena deal immediately after it was made, albeit more because I was happy the Reds were finally doing something and looking at their pitching moreso than for acquiring Bronson Arroyo, but that's immaterial.

I could, frankly, care less how many innings the dude throws if he's throwing junkballs up there and getting batted around the park. Among AL pitchers, he is tied with LaTroy Hawkins for 231st (out of 262) worst K/9 ratio at 3.97. What this tells us (beyond the simple fact that the guy has no stuff to speak of) is that he is a pitcher that relies on balls being put in play to record outs -- his 5.03 ERA belies the effectiveness of that strategy. PLUS, his BIBP is at .273 right now, indicating that he's been lucky to even have the ERA that he does.

You can talk all you want about how well he has pitched in the past, but the reality is that he had a fantastic 2003 at Pitchers Heaven in Miami (3.59), then fell back to Earth in '04 (4.71), '05 (4.90) and '06 (5.03). 2 of his last 3 seasons (including this one) have featued him w/ an OPS-A of +.800. About the only thing to like from him, other than the fact that he's not Joe Mays or Brandon Claussen, is that he's been a fairly consistent groundball pitcher the last few years (that, and the NL Central would be a less dangerous locale for him to peddle his wares than the AL Central has been).

Mark Redman isn't going to win this team any more games than Justin Germano would, IMO. At least with Germano, the team isn't sacraficing a prospect that might someday be valuable to some team as part of a deal that brings real help to the ballclub as opposed to this adhesiveless bandaid that does nothing to stop the bleeding at the back of the rotation.

I sincerely hope Wayne sits on his hands with this deal.

realistic
07-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Ah, so you cant be a good pitcher without having a high K/9 ? Tell that to Jim Palmer, Jim Kaat, or Tommy John. Too often people just look at numbers and think that tells the story.

A lot can be said simply being a proven "professional" pitcher. Theres a reason managers have had him pitch those innings - he does the job. He gets the outs. Composure, poise, competitiveness dont show up in your OPS-A or your BIBP.

If you truly think Germano gives the Reds just as much of a chance to win as Redman would then I've nothing else to say.

Jim Schue
07-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Ah, so you cant be a good pitcher without having a high K/9 ? Tell that to Jim Palmer, Jim Kaat, or Tommy John. Too often people just look at numbers and think that tells the story.

A lot can be said simply being a proven "professional" pitcher. Theres a reason managers have had him pitch those innings - he does the job. He gets the outs. Composure, poise, competitiveness dont show up in your OPS-A or your BIBP.

If you truly think Germano gives the Reds just as much of a chance to win as Redman would then I've nothing else to say.
Yours is an absurd post, but not for the right reasons. Redman would be a viable starter for the Reds, IMO. Mostly because I feel he's going to do better than he previously has.

realistic
07-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Over the past 4 years his AVERAGE outing has been 6IP 3ER. That defines a quality start. What else do you want out of a 5th starter? I dont care if batters hit .400 against him and he never K's even one batter if he goes 6IP with 3ER and never misses a start.

Truth be told hes been a lot more valuable than a Mark Prior type has.

sonny
07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
being a solid veteran, experienced and having good success since june, I'd be thrilled to have redman on our staff. we got to be realistic here folks, Zito, willis, maddux, etc aint comin' here.

its a good move. if they make a move.

SteelSD
07-30-2006, 11:46 AM

From 2004-current, Redman has produced a 4.84 ERA. And Redman's 2003 career year was driven by a K rate (7.13 K/9 IP) that he won't reproduce. Lacking that ability, his production is heavily defense-dependent and he'd be moving to a team lacking solid defense (Cinci). That's not good.

Not coincidentally, one of the primary reasons Bronson Arroyo has rebounded to be effective this season is that he's driven his K rate to 7.00 again after a 4.38 K/9 IP rate in 2005.

You're making the same argument that was made by others prior to the season in support of a Jon Garland acquisition- i.e. that a low-K rate pitcher would be a real boon considering that he's "proven professional" who could eat Innings. Proven professional is a nice catchphrase and eating innings is good, but it matters little should said proven professional not put up good numbers over those Innings. Redman hasn't.

At this point, Redman's a below average arm who's going to give you high-priced below-average Innings. That is, unless KC is willing to pay the rest of his contract. Then he'd project cheap below-average Innings. But below-average nonetheless.

ChatterRed
07-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm more for getting Dontrelle Willis. I like that rumor better. :D

I don't need all the fancy statistics to tell me that Redman is not the answer.

Getting a Willis and signing him would secure this starting rotation for years to come. It would also buy time for Bailey's development.

Harang
Arroyo
Willis
Milton
Ramirez

Milton's contract is up after next season isn't it? You could add Bailey at that point.

I think Reds management is very aware that starting pitching wins pennants. They are more than willing to part with position players to add quality pitching.

Matt700wlw
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM

I didn't hear it....of course, I may have not been here at the time.

wheels
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
The thing that actually makes Mark Redman or Cory Lidle WORSE than Claussen, Germano et al is the fact that they'd have to give up real player value to accquire them.

I'm sorry, but Mark Redman is in no way worth Phil Dumatrait in my mind.

Phhhl
07-30-2006, 02:07 PM
The thing that actually makes Mark Redman or Cory Lidle WORSE than Claussen, Germano et al is the fact that they'd have to give up real player value to accquire them.

I'm sorry, but Mark Redman is in no way worth Phil Dumatrait in my mind.

I agree. Leave Redman alone. I know his name got kinda big after the season he had with Florida, but Germano is likely to pitch as well as him as not. The point in deadline deals is to make signifigant improvement, not incremental.

realistic
07-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Not coincidentally, one of the primary reasons Bronson Arroyo has rebounded to be effective this season is that he's driven his K rate to 7.00 again after a 4.38 K/9 IP rate in 2005.

He now faces an opposing pitcher about 3 times per 9 IP instead of a DH like in 2005 and his K/9 go up 2.72 over a half season sample. Thats not really valid proof of him actually being more of a K pitcher. Theres more to consider than the cold hard numbers for a temporary peak in that stat. Naturally a pitcher will have more K's pitching in the NL Central than the AL East with its offenses and DH's. Especially for a guy entering baseballs prime years agewise , Pedro for example was in decline before he came to the NL.

Dont get me wrong. I'd rather have Willis or Zito without question. But Redman is an upgrade and a realistic option.

Dumatrait's are a dime a dozen, it would take a lot more than that to get a guy who is able to pitch today.

Unassisted
07-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Has WLW gotten a trade rumor right lately? I've heard the folks there spout off about plenty of ultimately false rumors in the times I've listened to their sports talkers, but never have I heard them get one right since Jim Bowden left town.

Keep the Morton Salt close to the radio/computer when you listen to 700 at this time of year. ;)

Caseyfan21
07-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Redman is pitching tonight. I would imagine any trade involving him would not go down until tomorrow. I don't think the Royals would trade him right before a start if they can trade him tomorrow just as well.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see someone had posted this earlier, I should have known better.

jesusfan
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
I have no clue what the Reds will do... But I would definitely go after Jeff Conine and play him part time in right field, and as a PH... Even better would be to move Freel to 2nd, Phillips to SS, EE/RA 3b, and let Dunn, Griff, and Conine be the outfield... pretty good line-up....
1.Freel
2.Dunn
3.Griffey
4.Conine
5.Hatteberg
6.Aurilia/EE
7.Phillips
8.Ross

KoryMac5
07-30-2006, 11:43 PM
He now faces an opposing pitcher about 3 times per 9 IP instead of a DH like in 2005 and his K/9 go up 2.72 over a half season sample. Thats not really valid proof of him actually being more of a K pitcher. Theres more to consider than the cold hard numbers for a temporary peak in that stat. Naturally a pitcher will have more K's pitching in the NL Central than the AL East with its offenses and DH's. Especially for a guy entering baseballs prime years agewise , Pedro for example was in decline before he came to the NL.

Dont get me wrong. I'd rather have Willis or Zito without question. But Redman is an upgrade and a realistic option.

Dumatrait's are a dime a dozen, it would take a lot more than that to get a guy who is able to pitch today.

But which Redman shows up the one who won 14 games in 2003 with the Marlins or the one who lost 15 with the Pirates. I'd much rather stick with Germano my reasoning being that he had 8 groundball outs to one flyball out the last time he started.

SteelSD
07-31-2006, 01:05 AM

Well, Arroyo has produced a K rate higher than 7.00 K/9 IP in the AL prior to this season. His K rate has gone up and what you consider intuitive isn't. For example...

Pedro Martinez:

2002- AL: 10.79 K/9 IP
2003- AL: 9.93 K/9 IP
2004- AL: 9.41 K/9 IP

Yep...decline.

2005- NL: 8.63 K/9 IP

Using your logic, Pedro Martinez should have seen a K/9 bump in 2005. Even if you're going to argue that Martinez was out of his "age-prime" seasons in 2005, we should have seen a bump IF the difference between the two leagues was as demonstrable as you claim. Yet he didn't see a bump. He saw further degradation. Furthermore, Martinez' highest K/9 seasons were IN the AL East with Boston. But then, Martinez did pitch with one of the best offenses in that division as did one Mr. Bronson Arroyo. And we also need to realize that average AL OPS in 2005 was .754. Average NL OPS last year was .744. That's nothing resembling the kind of differential that we'd need in order to demand that a dramatically increased K rate is going to happen for a pitcher who moves from the AL to the NL even if he's coming over during his age-prime seasons.

Razor Shines
07-31-2006, 01:23 AM
I don't know about Redmen but I do know of two power hitting outfielders....I know everyone is thinking it but afraid to say it. Sammy Sosa and Jose Canseco, and I hear we can use Canseco out of the pen because he's got a knuckler that's what I call killing two birds with one stone.

jesusfan
07-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Anyone know why Baseball Tonight is 10 minutes late... it was supposed to be on @ 12:30... Maybe ironing out some big trades..

Jpup
07-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Anyone know why Baseball Tonight is 10 minutes late... it was supposed to be on @ 12:30... Maybe ironing out some big trades..

You know it's a rerun on Sunday night?

TeamBoone
07-31-2006, 03:10 PM
All ESPN programs often run late depending on the end of sporting events that precede them.

STLRedsBacker
07-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Especially when those events are the volatile world of rock-paper-scissors, poker and (coming in August) cup stacking!

LincolnLandReds
10-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Mark Redman = Eric Milton minus a few million. Mark Redman = Ramon Ortiz, that worked out well too. It did look like he had nice numbers after a horrible start, but its early, the World Series hasn't even been over for 24 hours. I just think there might be a few better options that are presented before I would dive in head first with this one.

Bip Roberts
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
why did this get bumped :laugh:

AccordinglyReds
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
omg this scared me! lol

mole44
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
omg this scared me! lol

you too?

jimbo
10-29-2007, 08:18 PM
This is just a mean prank.

Prf15
10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I was wondering to myself why we would trade for Redman since he was on the Braves and got released.

This did scare me though...:thumbdown

Degenerate39
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
When I saw some of the users from the ORG I was thinking what the heck. Then I looked at the date.