PDA

View Full Version : Does Germano get another start?

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I thought Justin pitched well enough to get another start but there will be some huge questions that will have to be answered by the Reds brass.

1. Is it Brandon or Justin that gets the nod for the 5th starter?
2. Do you skip the 5th starter and have Bronson pitch twice next week?

I think they should give Germano another start and have Bronson and Aaron open up the St. Louis series.

captainmorgan07
07-29-2006, 11:18 PM
he pitched well for his first start 8 strikeouts is impressive for a first start

goreds2
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
No, bring Mays back. ;)

Yes, Germano should start again.

keeganbrick
07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Germano over Claussen any day.

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Absolutly! Brandon can join the pen.

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:24 PM
No, bring Mays back. ;)

Yes, Germano should start again.
Do you skip him or let him pitch next Sunday, which would allow you to have your #1 and 2 pitchers starting the series against the Cards.

CTA513
07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
They gave Joe Mays 4 starts before releasing him, might as well let Germano have a second start.

Shaknb8k
I think it depends on if they trade for a Starter.....if they dont then yes he deserves another start.

corkedbat
I would give Germano another start if it weren't for the horrible sense of dread that is starting to permeate my entire being telling me that we are about to horribly overpay for a starter in the next two days.

I'm seeing a mortgage sign on our future, in favor of more veteran steadiness. Hope I'm wrong.

goreds2
07-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Do you skip him or let him pitch next Sunday, which would allow you to have your #1 and 2 pitchers starting the series against the Cards.

I like your idea. We have to start our #1 & #2 againt the Cards. Each game we lose to the Cards essentially costs us two games.

F the Wild Card unless that is our only option. ;)

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm seeing a mortgage sign on our future, in favor of more veteran steadiness. Hope I'm wrong.
I would love the Reds to win now, but I think things are starting to look bright in the future with Bailey, Votto, Bruce, and with Harrang, Arroyo, and EZ that is a nice nucleus to build around for years to come. Then you put yourself in a position to open the checkbook in the off season.

11larkin11
07-29-2006, 11:32 PM
We kind of have a logjam out there.

Right now we have 12 pitchers. We have Mercker, Claussen, Belisle, and Balfour waiting in the wings to come back. Im guessing that Weathers and Shack may leave when two of them come back. Who are the other two that leave? Does Mercker even come back?

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:34 PM
I like your idea. We have to start our #1 & #2 againt the Cards. Each game we lose to the Cards essentially costs us two games.

F the Wild Card unless that is our only option. ;)
I agree, if you can compete and stay close to the Cards you will be the wild card anyway but a Wild Card berth also means a first round matchup against the Mets. Might as well play for the division title.

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I think claussen will be back and starting next Saturday.

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
I think claussen will be back and starting next Saturday.
That could be a scary thought against the Braves, even with Chipper on the DL

jnwohio
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
If the choice is between Germano and Claussen; from my point of view that is no choice at all, it is Germano.

Germano got less than a stellar effort behind him and still kept them in the game. Hatteburg should have turned a DP for him that would have saved the first run. Given Hall's history with the Reds, Hume or somebody should have come out and talked him thru what to do there too. (I was sitting at home thinking how it was a sure shot at a disaster if Bell reached to open that inning, so you know they must have been thiniking the same on the bench). The following inning in a similar situation with Fielder, BoomBoom came out and told him the plan and the result was a 1st pitch DP. All of this is not to mention that the offense should have scored him at least 5 runs with the oppurtunities they had thru the 3rd inning alone.

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:47 PM
If the choice is between Germano and Claussen; from my point of view that is no choice at all, it is Germano.

Germano got less than a stellar effort behind him and still kept them in the game. Hatteburg should have turned a DP for him that would have saved the first run. Given Hall's history with them Hune or somebody should have come out and talked him thru what to do there too. The following inning in a similar situation with Fielder, BoomBoom came out and told him the plan and the result was a 1st pitch DP. All of this is not to mention that the offense should have scored him at least 5 runs with the oppurtunities they had thru the 3rd inning alone.
Good points jnw. Especially in a ballpark like GAB, if Germano can have similar K/BB ratio then I say it is a no brainer.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
I think he deserves to start again unless the Reds make a trade for someone better.

redlegs2370
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM
I think he deserves to start again unless the Reds make a trade for someone better.
I guess with his performance tonight and his recent success at Louisville he could be packaged in a deal.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I guess with his performance tonight and his recent success at Louisville he could be packaged in a deal.

Germano was just optioned back to AAA.. guess he doesn't get that start again

CTA513
07-30-2006, 12:12 AM

He didnt perform as good as Joe Mays.

:p:

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Well that tells us one of two things Claussen is going to get a shot or there is a trade in the works. I would say they are trying to make a trade and if it falls through then Claussen will get another chance.

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
He didnt perform as good as Joe Mays.

:p:
Maybe if he was from the Twins organization rather than San Diego.

Redleg39
07-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Well that tells us one of two things Claussen is going to get a shot or there is a trade in the works. I would say they are trying to make a trade and if it falls through then Claussen will get another chance.

It has to be a trade because why would they possibly have Claussen start over Germano after tonight?

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:27 AM
It has to be a trade because why would they possibly have Claussen start over Germano after tonight?
I agree to some point, but the people answering your question also are the ones who ran Joe Mays out there for 4 starts.

Redleg39
07-30-2006, 12:28 AM
I agree to some point, but the people answering your question also are the ones who ran Joe Mays out there for 4 starts.

Yeah, I guess you can't forget about stuff like that.

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I guess you can't forget about stuff like that.
I guess that is part of being a fan of a small market ball club. Kind of like being a fan of a Mid Major in college and you have to take what is left over, sometimes you get fortunate and you find diamonds in the ruff and other times it is hard to compete against McDonalds all-americans.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:34 AM
It has to be a trade because why would they possibly have Claussen start over Germano after tonight?Watching what Narron does on a nightly basis I assume that it is a rhetorical question

KoryMac5
07-30-2006, 12:41 AM
8 groundballs and 1 flyball plus 8 k's I'll take that from a 5th starter any day of the week.

CTA513
07-30-2006, 12:42 AM
8 groundballs and 1 flyball plus 8 k's I'll take that from a 5th starter any day of the week.

To many groundball outs, they need more flyball outs from him.

;)

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Hmm you would think in a place like GAB that would get you another start.

redlegs2370
07-30-2006, 12:52 AM
To many groundball outs, they need more flyball outs from him.

;)
Hey is that how Mays was able to get so many starts?:D