PDA

View Full Version : Something's Coming?? Germano Optioned To Louisville

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Per Marc After The Game:

MILWAUKEE -- Following the game, the Reds optioned Justin Germano back to Louisville.

Narron said Germano was going back no matter how he pitched, so there obviously is something going on here. The fifth starter's spot won't be needed again until next Saturday, if my math is correct. That start could go to Brandon Claussen, who would be on regular rest if he makes his Monday rehab start as scheduled, and the Reds could use the roster spot in the meantime for another bullpen arm or bench help.

Still, as conservative as the Reds tend to be with rehab assignments and seeing how things play out, I'm surprised they would commit to a schedule like that without knowing how Claussen performs Monday. Which raises the possibility that a trade is in the works. I don't think that would surprise anyone, though I haven't heard anything specific today.

I'm sure it'll all become crystal clear by tomorrow, but this one's got me a bit confused at the moment.

KronoRed
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM
We need another catcher?:D

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:09 PM
not necessarily. They don't need a 5th starter until next Saturday and it will likely be Claussen.

CTA513
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
So Germano could have thrown a no hitter and still got sent back to AAA?

:laugh:

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Could Wise be coming back?

Heck, we all know we're going to make at least one more move. Just leave the roster slot open until said move is made.

corkedbat
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Could be a bullpen arm or a bat up from the minors until Claussen's activated Saturday or there could be something up

Henry Clay
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
The key here is that the Reds acted immediately after the game. Is there another player on rehab who needs to be promoted? I don't think anyone's return is imminent. Mercker has some time to go. Claussen needs another rehab start and isn't needed for another few starts. This looks and smells like a clearing of the roster for a move. Here's hoping it is a good move that signals a strong finish to the season.

corkedbat
07-29-2006, 11:14 PM

Heck, we all know we're going to make at least one more move. Just leave the roster slot open until said move is made.

Wise can't come back for 10 days (regardless of the DFA) unless there's an injury, IIRC.

edabbs44

Doesn't Wise have to stay down for 10 days?

reds44
I'd rather have Germano up here then Claussen.

Hopefully a trade is coming.

RedLegSuperStar
Could be a bullpen arm or a bat up from the minors until Claussen's activated Saturday or there could be something up

Votto? Heck Hatteberg, Aurilia, and Valentin could use some company

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Could Clayton be DFA'd?

Naw...

Prolly not.

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Mark Redman or Kyle Lohse?

Both former and current Twins.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Mark Redman has to be the odds on favorite.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Mark Redman or Kyle Lohse?

Both former and current Twins.

If either of those happens, I give anyone permission to crack my ribcage open without anesthetic.

smith288
07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Meaning you would like it? They both seem Milton-esque type of acquisitions of which we know you loathe.

Henry Clay
07-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd rather have Germano up here then Claussen.

Hopefully a trade is coming.

Germano's demotion should not have anything to do with Claussen. The team has 3 LHPs in the bullpen and won't need another 5th starter until the end of the week. This has to do with a trade or bringing up another bat. Insofar as the team is not using all of the bats it has on the roster, I have to think that this is about a trade.

JaxRed
07-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Bullpen help? Dumatrait pitched 6 scoreless innings in long relief a couple nights ago. And Chattanoodga is under orders to stretch out Shafer.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:23 PM
If either of those happens, I give anyone permission to crack my ribcage open without anesthetic.

I'd rather have Eric Milton do it (crack open your ribcage without anesthetic).

Odds are, he would miss and hit you down in your nether region.

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Meaning you would like it? They both seem Milton-esque type of acquisitions of which we know you loathe.

No I'd hate it. I'd be so overwhelmed with dreariness, I'd not even feel the pain of a chest-cracking.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Bullpen help? Dumatrait pitched 6 scoreless innings in long relief a couple nights ago. And Chattanoodga is under orders to stretch out Shafer.

Wow. And those two were available two weeks ago when we gave away Lopez and Kearns.

Cool.

CTA513
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM

The game Dumatrait pitched in was a game that had been suspended in the 3rd inning the night before due to rain.

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I was underwhelmed by the last trade so I honestly don't expect this to be any different. I would think they are even more desperate now than they were two weeks ago.

I wouldn't be shocked if they give up a Wood/Votto/Cueto for basically nothing.

Henry Clay
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't think this deals with bullpen help. The bullpen overfloweth, and any help would likely come in with a corresponding move from the bullpen, not the rotation. Watch the Reds activate Belisle and prove me wrong.

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:36 PM
With Jay Gibbons being activated from the 15 day DL... perhaps Jeff Conine becomes a Red.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 11:37 PM
With Jay Gibbons being activated from the 15 day DL... perhaps Jeff Conine becomes a Red.

:thumbdown

Falls City Beer
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM

That would be a "new era" move alright. The kind of move you do after drinking lots of prune juice.

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:40 PM
:thumbdown

I know.. It would be a head scratcher for all of us. You have Freel, Griffey, Dunn, Deno in the OF.. you have Hatteberg, Aurilia, and Valentin at 1st. Just trying to piece together the puzzle....

RedLegSuperStar
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
That would be a "new era" move alright. The kind of move you do after drinking lots of prune juice.

Lots of prune juice with a chaser of hard whisky!

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM

If that happens I give Eric Milton permission to crack my ribcage open without anesthetic.

Jeff Conine can watch.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Maybe it's Maddux?

:dunno:

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:43 PM
I was underwhelmed by the last deal, I am expecting more of the same.

RedsMan3203
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
You going to cry and complain over a deal if you get Connie for next to nothing?

CTA513
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe it's Maddux?

:dunno:

Maddux for Bailey, Bruce and Votto + cash.
Then Maddux decides to retire a week after the trade.

:p:

KoryMac5
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I was underwhelmed by the last trade so I honestly don't expect this to be any different. I would think they are even more desperate now than they were two weeks ago.

I wouldn't be shocked if they give up a Wood/Votto/Cueto for basically nothing.

Those are the names I have been hearing thrown about too. If you are going to give up three good prospects you better get somebody good and somebody who wants to play here long term. Small market teams can't afford to mortgage the future on rentals.

Jpup
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
You going to cry and complain over a deal if you get Connie for next to nothing?

If he plays everyday, yes I will. If he is used as a 25th guy, that would be fine.

Cedric
07-29-2006, 11:47 PM
If he plays everyday, yes I will. If he is used as a 25th guy, that would be fine.

Even Jerry Narron wouldn't play Jeff Conine every day.

flyer85
Those are the names I have been hearing thrown about too. If you are going to give up three good prospects you better get somebody good and somebody who wants to play here long term. Small market teams can't afford to mortgage the future on rentals.I wasn't suggesting they will trade all three. Just that I think they will trade at least one of them for nothing but flotsam.

flyer85
Even Jerry Narron wouldn't play Jeff Conine every day.are you sure?

Cedric
07-29-2006, 11:48 PM
are you sure?

No, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it either.

Marc D
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Even Jerry Narron wouldn't play Jeff Conine every day.

"Can't be but a few Indians over there"- George S Custer

KittyDuran
07-29-2006, 11:50 PM
That would be a "new era" move alright. The kind of move you do after drinking lots of prune juice.Prune juice makes the going great! :beerme:

BuckeyeRedleg
Cedric, it's 11:48 PM and we are talking about it.

We ARE losing sleep over it....sort of.

Henry Clay
Randy Wolf is coming off the DL for a start tomorrow in Philadelphia. A corresponding move will have to be made for the Phils. The Phillies have waited until the day of his start to make a move. The Reds made a move immediately after tonight's game. Coincidence? I don't purport to know what is going to happen, but I think the timing is interesting.

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
"Can't be but a few Indians over there"- George S Custer"They won't be expecting the attack without mercy"

BCubb2003
"Can't be but a few Indians over there"- George S Custer

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist -- "

flyer85
Randy Wolf is coming off the DL for a start tomorrow in Philadelphia. A corresponding move will have to be made for the Phils. The Phillies have waited until the day of his start to make a move. The Reds made a move immediately after tonight's game. Coincidence? I don't purport to know what is going to happen, but I think the timing is interesting.could be moot after Hamels was helped off the field after taking a line shot off the knee.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Randy Wolf is coming off the DL for a start tomorrow in Philadelphia. A corresponding move will have to be made for the Phils. The Phillies have waited until the day of his start to make a move. The Reds made a move immediately after tonight's game. Coincidence? I don't purport to know what is going to happen, but I think the timing is interesting.

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Marc D
07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist -- "

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm repped out but thanks for the laugh.

jmcclain19
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM
"They won't be expecting the attack without mercy"

"What's that sound? Kind of a buzzing noise overhead? You guys hear that?"
-Mayor of Hiroshima

Cedric
07-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Cedric, it's 11:48 PM and we are talking about it.

We ARE losing sleep over it....sort of.

Ha. Well I should be considering my allergies are ruining my life.

Problem is I'm just waiting for espnews to report the Tejada to Reds trade.

CTA513

.265 AVG, 8 Homeruns, 41 RBIs and is 40 years old.

Maybe they can give up Votto for him?

:thumbup:

;)

Jpup
You think maybe Marc could make a couple calls and find out if they are working on something?

flyer85
07-29-2006, 11:55 PM
"They won't be expecting the attack without mercy"Rep points for someone who can identify the movie the quote came from

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Rep points for someone who can identify the movie the quote came from

Hustle and Flow.

Cedric
07-29-2006, 11:58 PM
In like Flint.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Rep points for someone who can identify the movie the quote came from

Wayne and Jerry's excellent adventure?

Henry Clay
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
You think maybe Marc could make a couple calls and find out if they are working on something?

I imagine Marc is calling everyone he knows in the system, begging them to go on the record, on background, on deep background, or whatever, to give him information on what is happening. The posters on this board follow the team for recreation for the most part. Marc gets a paycheck based on the job he does. Based on what I've seen of his work relative to other Reds' reporters, he probably doesn't get paid enough.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:01 AM
It was spoken by "Custer" in the movie. A decidely deranged Custer played by Richard Mulligan

RedsMan3203
07-30-2006, 12:02 AM
.265 AVG, 8 Homeruns, 41 RBIs and is 40 years old.

Maybe they can give up Votto for him?

;)

I said nothing.. not Votto... Should you go back to 1st grade and learn how to read?

;)

CTA513
07-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I said nothing.. not Votto... Should you go back to 1st grade and learn how to read?

;)

Only if you will go first.

;)

RedsMan3203
07-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Only if you will go first.

;)

I wanna go back...

Henry Clay
07-30-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that a trade is definitely coming. Germano wouldn't have been sent down after compiling 8 strikeouts if something weren't already in the works. Also, what's the story with the Wise DFA if it wasn't to clear a 40 man roster spot. Other folks could have been sent to Louisville if Germano were just coming to make a spot start.

The question is whether there is reason to justify the hope or dread that is floating around this site. Tomorrow will reveal whether Krivsky is making a smart move or another typical Reds second-half move that won't work or be worth the trade. I expect a 5th starter pick-up with the likes of Lidle coming this way. I don't know if such a trade is really worthwhile given that Germano is probably a Lidle-style pitcher minus age and the expense of a trade. Of course, this could be a multi-player deal with a catcher going in exchange for something else the Reds need. Waiting for the final word tomorrow is a bit like the anticipation of Christmas eve, but I'm going to stay optimistic until I peel away the wrapping paper and see what's under the tree. I still have faith in Krivsky. The guy may have made a risky-to-questionable move with the Nats, but his other moves have been solid this year. I'm hoping that he exceeds my expectations with whatever comes in the next 36 hours. Here's hoping.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I would think a trade will be made. What will it be? I have no idea because they could go in so many directions. They could use a SS, a starter, a RH bat, a bat missing reliever. This team still has a bunch of holes and we don't know which itch Krivsky is trying to scratch.

Ron Madden
07-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Little Big Man. :confused:

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Little Big Man. :confused:a winner.

Ron Madden
07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
I got lucky. :)

redsrule2500
07-30-2006, 12:50 AM
I hope it's not Maddux.

I really didn't think they would make anymore moves this year.

This could just be for Claussen too...

flyer85
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
This could just be for Claussen too...That's the way I read it. They probably liked the way Claussen threw on Wednesday and plan to start him next Saturday, thus Germano isn't needed so they can use an extra bat in the interim.

TeamBoone
07-30-2006, 12:59 AM
That's the way I read it. They probably liked the way Claussen threw on Wednesday and plan to start him next Saturday, thus Germano isn't needed so they can use an extra bat in the interim.

That may be so, but it still makes no sense to send Germano down until Claussen makes his next rehab start. No sense at all.

And if it is because they intend to bring Claussen back without waiting to see how he performs/feels, then it could really come back to bite them in the :mooner: and would be very unfair to Germano.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 01:04 AM
That may be so, but it still makes no sense to send Germano down until Claussen makes his next rehab start. No sense at all.
They can use the bat. Hitting wise if Narron starts his best, the bench stinks. If they got the thumbs up from Claussen this is exactly what I would have expected.

IIRC, this is the team that brought Milton back from knee surgery without a rehab start. All he did was pitch 2 innings of an exhibition game.

Henry Clay
07-30-2006, 01:06 AM
That's the way I read it. They probably liked the way Claussen threw on Wednesday and plan to start him next Saturday, thus Germano isn't needed so they can use an extra bat in the interim.

The timing doesn't make sense if this is the case. I guess we will find out tomorrow, but Mays was not DFA'd after his last poor start (or his intervening poor starts for that matter), but only when Ross was needed. Other moves have been made in a similar way. I don't think the front office is as quick to send someone back to AAA as they were tonight. When Germano last came up with the team, he was up for a number of days with only one appearance during that span. This FO doesn't appear to make moves without a reason for the moves. Maybe you are right about the bat in the interim, but I think the team is making room for someone via trade through the Wise DFA and the Germano demotion. I have to think it is a starter because that is the current glaring need, and Krivsky has shown himself unwilling to allow those needs to go unfilled even with moves prior GMs would never have made (Pena for Arroyo, Kearns and Lopez for bullpen help, carrying 3 catchers to improve the catcher's ERA numbers, picking up Phillips to shore up 2B and free up Freel for utility role). It is possible that a trade with another team will steal away the target of Krivsky's moves, but I still think we will see an announcement tomorrow with a starter's name involved.

I'm with TeamBoone on this one.

flyer85
07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
I have to think it is a starter because that is the current glaring need.the current glaring needs are in order
1) a RH bat to hit cleanup (RA ain't it)
2) a SS that can actually play good defesne (Clayton ain't it)
3) a solid starter. Has anyone traded one of those this season? Guys like Redman/Lohse/Lopez are a dime a dozen because teams in-house solutions are likely as good and are a lot cheaper.

RedsMan3203
07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
So, Lohse, Lidle, Redman, or Lieber?

Who we gettin?

flyer85
07-30-2006, 01:13 AM
So, Lohse, Lidle, Redman, or Liber?

Who we gettin?hopefully none of the above.

RedsMan3203
07-30-2006, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't mind Redman if we can get him for almost nothing...

The other 3... bleah... don't draw me intrests to me.

WVRedsFan
07-30-2006, 01:32 AM
It probably won't be popular, but I think a move will be made. Tomorrow.

If you noticed, the Reds HR rate has gone dramatically down. I can't put my fingers on the specific stats (because I'm too lazy to look it up), but over night, Krivsky has pretty much changed this team so much in 4 months it isn't even believable. Where we had legitimate threats for the long ball from shortstop, third base, and all three outfield positions (and maybe catcher), we now only have that from left field and center field. Maybe we were too HR heavy? Beats me, but this team is totally different from the one we saw last season and early this season. Gone are WMP (20+ HR), Lopex (20+ HR), Kearns (20+ HR), and in theri place are Clayton (0 HR), Freel/Denorfia (less than 8 HR), etc.

It wouldn't surprise me to see another fan favorite gone by Monday for pitching. The targets in my mind are Aurilia, Larue, Denorfia, Claussen, and Clayton (I was just kidding about fan favorites except for Denorfia) for a starting pitcher. I preduct by this time next year, you won't recognize this team. And don't discount the trading of Junior. If Krivsky gets the right deal Junior is gone.

The only safe players are Hatteberg, Dunn, and our three reliable starting pitchers. After that, all bets are off.

KronoRed
07-30-2006, 02:12 AM
are you sure?
I know I'm not. :help:

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2006, 02:18 AM
This market is so hideously awful for pitching right now that I think the Reds would be smart to sit on their hands and hope to ride things out with what they've got.

There's nobody in firesale mode that they can collect from, it seems, and none of the talent available is going to be of the calibur to put any team "over the top," which is what a deadline deal is supposed to do. I mean -- show of hands, who really thinks Mark Redman (he of the sub-4 K/9) is a better option than Justin Germano?

Wayne seems to suffer from a need of "dealing for the sake of making a deal" and this is seriously one time where I wish he'd just put the phone down. Nothing he acquires within the next 24 hours is going to make the difference between postseason play and no postseason play.

CougarQuest
07-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Just great. You have now guaranteed it to happen.

:evil:

Jpup
07-30-2006, 03:21 AM
This market is so hideously awful for pitching right now that I think the Reds would be smart to sit on their hands and hope to ride things out with what they've got.

There's nobody in firesale mode that they can collect from, it seems, and none of the talent available is going to be of the calibur to put any team "over the top," which is what a deadline deal is supposed to do. I mean -- show of hands, who really thinks Mark Redman (he of the sub-4 K/9) is a better option than Justin Germano?

Wayne seems to suffer from a need of "dealing for the sake of making a deal" and this is seriously one time where I wish he'd just put the phone down. Nothing he acquires within the next 24 hours is going to make the difference between postseason play and no postseason play.

I think that you could have more teams throw in the towel before Monday. You might find a diamond in the rough, but if I was Krivsky I would be playing hardball to get the guy that I wanted.

Rojo
07-30-2006, 04:49 AM

This is something I've considered as well. Its a tad unusual to pick up a guy after his first post-dl start but Philly does seem to be in dumping mode.

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Hrmm..

After the game, Germano was optioned back to Louisville, but it wasn't because of anything he did in the game. It was a decision manager Jerry Narron said was planned all along. An off day Monday meant a fifth starter won't be needed this week. A corresponding roster move wasn't announced.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060729&content_id=1581935&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Jpup
07-30-2006, 06:45 AM
it, at least, sounds like Krivsky is working on something.

StillFunkyB
07-30-2006, 08:50 AM
And don't discount the trading of Junior. If Krivsky gets the right deal Junior is gone.

Junior has 10-5 rights.

He isn't going anywhere unless he approves, and that is highly unlikely.

Kc61
07-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I can see the logic of a powerful right handed bat. Theory would be that Reds need to compensate for loss of Kearns' bat with, at least, a part time player. Right now, Reds' thunder is primarily left handed. There is playing time available in right field and first base occasionally for such a righty hitter.

I can also see the Reds figuring that it makes sense to get such a bat if they can trade a catcher. In other words, a righty power guy off the bench is more of a need than a third catcher. So I would assume a trade for a righty hitter would involve moving probably Larue.

All this is great, but the real hole on the team is the fifth starter position.

TheBigLebowski
07-30-2006, 10:42 AM
There's a good chance a guy like Cory Lidle could be headed this way and, provided he comes cheap, it'd be fine with me. Lidle would improve this staff.

I don't really know why, but I have this feeling there's something big coming down the pipes.

edabbs44
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Junior has 10-5 rights.

He isn't going anywhere unless he approves, and that is highly unlikely.
He doesn't have to approve a move down in the order though. Maybe Jerry doesn't know the rules surrounding a 10-5 player.

edabbs44
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
There's a good chance a guy like Cory Lidle could be headed this way and, provided he comes cheap, it'd be fine with me. Lidle would improve this staff.

I don't really know why, but I have this feeling there's something big coming down the pipes.
Lidle is rumored to be headed to the NYY with Abreu.

TheBigLebowski
07-30-2006, 10:50 AM

I know, and that may happen, but I'd bet Lieber will be the one tagging along with Abreu to NY.

Matt700wlw
07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
not necessarily. They don't need a 5th starter until next Saturday and it will likely be Claussen.

Brandon Claussen can go away too....I've seen enough.

Matt700wlw
07-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Abreu would be good for them.....I think Lidle would crack under the pressure of being a Yankee

Spitball
07-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I know, and that may happen, but I'd bet Lieber will be the one tagging along with Abreu to NY.

Maybe, but I bet not. First, the Yankees made no effort to resign him after the 2004 season when he was a better pitcher. Second, every story I see out there makes it sound like it is about a done deal with Lidle going with Abreu.

Spitball
07-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I can see the logic of a powerful right handed bat. Theory would be that Reds need to compensate for loss of Kearns' bat with, at least, a part time player. Right now, Reds' thunder is primarily left handed. There is playing time available in right field and first base occasionally for such a righty hitter.

I can also see the Reds figuring that it makes sense to get such a bat if they can trade a catcher. In other words, a righty power guy off the bench is more of a need than a third catcher. So I would assume a trade for a righty hitter would involve moving probably Larue.

All this is great, but the real hole on the team is the fifth starter position.

Aramis Ramirez and Greg Maddux to the Reds for...

edabbs44
07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Aramis Ramirez and Greg Maddux to the Reds for...
EdE and Wood.

paulrichjr
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Even if Claussen isn't ready there are other options such as Dumatrait being called up. It is very possible we are reading too much into this since any GM knows that a deal isn't done until it is done. He obviously has a plan for a 5th guy that isn't totally dependent upon a trade.

CTA513
07-30-2006, 12:54 PM
The Reds have a video of Germanos 8 strikeouts for anyone that didnt see him pitch last night.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/scripts/mediaplayer/mp_tpl.jsp?w_id=508700&w=2006/open/tp/archive07/072906_cinmil_germano_8k_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2006/07/29/cinmlb-milmlb-1&vid=7758&mid=200607291583034&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp350&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&murl=