PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Close To Trading For...

RedLegSuperStar
07-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle..

Rotoworld.com / ESPN Insider

ESPN's Jayson Stark believes the Yankees will acquire Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle from the Phillies for 2005 first-round pick C.J. Henry and right-hander Steven White.
The Phillies could likely get better prospects for Lidle alone, but that so clearly isn't the point. Abreu's no-trade clause may or may not be a stumbling block. The Yankees are apparently prepared to pick up his $16 million option for 2008 in order to keep him happy, though it's not guaranteed that Abreu wouldn't want more to sign off on the deal. In taking Abreu's contract, the Yankees would be employing about $100 million more in talent than any other team in baseball. If they can win under those circumstances, well, Joe Torre really must be a genius.

Tony Cloninger
07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
The Phillies do not need to just dump BA for that little?
I mean that is truly pathetic.........it is not like the Phillies cannot afford BA.
They should be able to get Cano....Wang and Cabrera for BA alone.

That rumor just insults me just reading it.......how can teams be so stupid when dealing with the Yankees and give players away.

I think my hatred for the Yankees shows up like most people's hatred for JN on this post.
I do not usually bother to post comments about trade rumors but i have this urge to hit Jayson Stark, just for bringing up this garbage.

Krusty
07-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Also, RHP Scott Proctor could be going in the deal to Philadelphia.

NJReds
07-30-2006, 10:25 AM
The Phillies do not need to just dump BA for that little?
I mean that is truly pathetic.........it is not like the Phillies cannot afford BA.
They should be able to get Cano....Wang and Cabrera for BA alone.

That rumor just insults me just reading it.......how can teams be so stupid when dealing with the Yankees and give players away.

I think my hatred for the Yankees shows up like most people's hatred for JN on this post.
I do not usually bother to post comments about trade rumors but i have this urge to hit Jayson Stark, just for bringing up this garbage.

It's all about $$$. The Phillies can get better prospects if they send cash to cover off BA's huge contract. If the team they're trading him too is picking up the whole tab, then the Phils don't get the same return.

It's the Phillies fault for overpaying in the first place. That's what got them in this situation.

PuffyPig
07-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Abreau should have little trade value. His contract likely exceeds his ability. It's only becasue it's the trade deadline, and there are teams desparate for help that makes it even possible to move him.

He certainly isn't going to bring the likes of Wang and Cano, or either one for that matter.

The Phillies can spend the $16M they save next year and sign a better player or players than Abreau. That's the real value to the Phillies in this trade.