PDA

View Full Version : Frequent flyers, need a little advice

Cedric
07-30-2006, 01:02 PM
What's the best website or search engine to use for domestic flights?

I've used orbitz and expedia before and they aren't really helping me at this point.

Thanks.

westofyou
07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
What's the best website or search engine to use for domestic flights?

I've used orbitz and expedia before and they aren't really helping me at this point.

Thanks.
Orbitz is the best.. period. But if you want a certain area of the country try to check the hub airlines for specials and their own pricing. You might also want to try Travelocity and www.itn.net

MWM
07-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Orbitz by a long shot. I use it exclusively now.

Cedric
07-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I've always used Orbitz and it's been great, just struggling this time.

Of course I waited longer than I should have.

westofyou
07-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks. I've always used Orbitz and it's been great, just struggling this time.

Of course I waited longer than I should have.
Where are you going?

Cedric
07-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Chicago to Vegas.

I'm heading up to watch the Cubs vs Reds game on the 15th and then flying out Saturday-Mon. My gf is doing her residency there this year.

I assumed from Chicago to Vegas would have some cheaper flights, but it's the weekend.

Edit- September 15th.

Do you know of any independent carriers that fly mostly out of Chicago? I tried Southwest and Frontier and they are very expensive.

westofyou
07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Chicago to Vegas.

I'm heading up to watch the Cubs vs Reds game on the 15th and then flying out Saturday-Mon. My gf is doing her residency there this year.

I assumed from Chicago to Vegas would have some cheaper flights, but it's the weekend.

Edit- September 15th.

Do you know of any independent carriers that fly mostly out of Chicago? I tried Southwest and Frontier and they are very expensive.

Try Midwest Air, Frontier and Southwest... There has to be something that shuttles ORD to LV.. not ATA though.

Cedric
07-30-2006, 01:45 PM
I've used ATA before and it was pretty decent.

Is it getting worse?

westofyou
07-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I've used ATA before and it was pretty decent.

Is it getting worse?
No, but they don't do shuttles to Vegas in the summer, I pretty sure it's a cold weather route. They only have so many planes so they have different routes based on the seasons. However there has to be a Jet Blue type of solution from Chicago.

Cedric
07-30-2006, 01:58 PM
That makes sense. I flew from Indianapolis to Vegas in December using ATA and yet today I couldn't find a damn thing from them to Vegas.

Thanks.

Unassisted
07-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Bestfares.com is the best place to get big-picture advice about when to travel cheaply and what the rock-bottom fares between two cities and nearby alternates are at any given moment.

qixo.com is my favorite aggregator of low fares. I usually search at qixo and buy from the airline sites directly to avoid fees.

Red in Chicago
07-30-2006, 05:23 PM
i go to vegas every year...each time i fly southwest...haven't found anything cheaper during the dates i've gone...

deltachi8
07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
www.kayak.com

Then do southwest.com to get their fares

Doc. Scott
07-31-2006, 12:56 AM
What I've learned is that you should use the aggregators like Orbitz or Travelocity or Faremax to figure out what's available, but actually book the flight directly through the airline whenever possible. Not only does this cut out the middleman's $5-10 fee, but it seems safer to me to book directly with the airline itself.

Cedric
07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks much all.

dman
08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
AirTran always has competitive rates directly from their website

cincinnati chili
08-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Beware Orbitz. The scenario described here happened to my father in law also:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=orbitz_blows

It's possible this happens on travelocity too, but I've never had much trouble with travelocity.

Whatever service you use, if you connect thru a city with multiple airports, MAKE SURE THE SERVICE BRINGS YOU IN AND OUT OF THE SAME AIRPORT.

Cedric
08-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Weird timing Chili on the response. I just ordered literally seconds ago on Southwest.com

It's flat out amazing how many good flights I lost from Monday to today. I guess Chicago is a huge city after all :)

Luckily I found a great package out of Midway airport.

Orbitz almost totally screwed me over on my trip to Italy. They had us literally running through both Heathrow and Rome Fianuciona airport. Hectic.

Unassisted
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Orbitz almost totally screwed me over on my trip to Italy. They had us literally running through both Heathrow and Rome Fianuciona airport. Hectic.

A good travel agent would have caught that for you. They earn their fee on international travel. If I'm traveling alone I don't mind hustling through an airport to make a connection. If I'm traveling with the kids, then I avoid it.