PDA

View Full Version : offtopic: yankees

KalDanielsfan
07-30-2006, 02:25 PM
So are u telling me that there is a remote chance this september that the line up for the yankees will be

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Rodriguez 3B
Matsui LF
Sheffield RF
Giambi 1b
Abreau DH
Posada C
Cano 2b

Thats seriously SICK

Reverend Doo-Rag
07-30-2006, 02:46 PM
They just gotta shore up that 9 spot with Soriano.

cincy09
07-30-2006, 02:50 PM
that lineup may well be at home watching in oct. though

Matt700wlw
07-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Not fair.

:rant2:

:)

GOREDSGO32
07-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Too bad they still won't make the playoffs. Then hilarity will ensue.

KalDanielsfan
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
be that as it may, even if they are staying home in OCtober, they will have those players under contract at the start of next season when all is 100% healthy.

this is of course, if Steinbrenner picks up shefffield's 07's option (which most have speculated that after this deal was made, it pretty much sealed Sheffield's fate for next year)

Crash Davis
07-30-2006, 08:13 PM
The Yankees are an absolute joke. I'd be embarrassed to be a fan. They're like a kid filling out a team full of all-stars in his back yard. The Yankees' taste isn't exactly discriminating. If you make more than $10M/year, they want you.

They have $100M more payroll than anyone else in the majors. That's just insane.

Jpup
07-30-2006, 08:15 PM
The Yankees are an absolute joke. I'd be embarrassed to be a fan. They're like a kid filling out a team full of all-stars in his back yard. The Yankees' taste isn't exactly discriminating. If you make more than $10M/year, they want you.

They have $100M more payroll than anyone else in the majors. That's just insane.

The bad part is that they are playing by the rules. You can't fault them for that. Something does need to be done though.

Phhhl
07-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Abreu is a smart acquisition, even for the money. That lineup will absolutely wear pitchers out. And, I don't just mean the numbers 4 and 5, but the ace of just about any club. If a pitcher has a rough first inning against the Yanks and runs his count to 25-30 pitches, he's probably not hanging around enough to qualifty for a win no matter what his offense does. And, then, you had better have a dominant bullpen to hold them for 4-5 innings... only a handful of teams are even in the discussion.

On top of that, Lidle is better than the number fives they have been rolling out all season.

I agree that all of this is unfair. By taking on that salary, the Yankees have just cranked the disparity issue up a couple notches. It's not Steinbrenner's fault that baseball continues to allow this to happen. It's a crime perpetrated by the game, not the Yankees. Only when there is a salary cap and a system similar to what we have in the NFL will baseball truly realize the popularity it once had.

Jpup
07-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Abreu is a smart acquisition, even for the money. That lineup will absolutely wear pitchers out. And, I don't just mean the numbers 4 and 5, but the ace of just about any club. If a pitcher has a rough first inning against the Yanks and runs his count to 25-30 pitches, he's probably not hanging around enough to qualifty for a win no matter what his offense does. And, then, you had better have a dominant bullpen to hold them for 4-5 innings... only a handful of teams are even in the discussion.

On top of that, Lidle is better than the number fives they have been rolling out all season.

I agree that all of this is unfair. By taking on that salary, the Yankees have just cranked the disparity issue up a couple notches. It's not Steinbrenner's fault that baseball continues to allow this to happen. It's a crime perpetrated by the game, not the Yankees. Only when there is a salary cap and a system similar to what we have in the NFL will baseball truly realize the popularity it once had.

baseball is more popular than ever. check out the attendance figures.

MartyFan
07-30-2006, 08:33 PM
If Matsui and Sheffield make it back...that seems to be the question....I know they bothhad appointments for their various injuries but have not heard how they went.

Phhhl
07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
baseball is more popular than ever. check out the attendance figures.

Balonga. Millions of fans take the period off between the NCAA tournament and the opening weekend of the NFL. Baseball is second and third in the hearts of way too many sports fans. I wish it were not so.

Jpup
07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Balonga. Millions of fans take the period off between the NCAA tournament and the opening weekend of the NFL. Baseball is second and third in the hearts of way too many sports fans. I wish it were not so.

Major League baseball is a lot more popular than college basketball IMO.

edabbs44
07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
be that as it may, even if they are staying home in OCtober, they will have those players under contract at the start of next season when all is 100% healthy.

this is of course, if Steinbrenner picks up shefffield's 07's option (which most have speculated that after this deal was made, it pretty much sealed Sheffield's fate for next year)
What's their rotation look like next year.

:laugh:

Phhhl
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Major League baseball is a lot more popular than college basketball IMO.

Well, it's about 10 times more popular with me. I watched about 2 minutes of college baseketball all of last season. But, about 80% of the people who work in my office say hi.

KalDanielsfan
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
What's their rotation look like next year.

:laugh:

oh i agree whole heartedly. their rotation is a joke. I was simply admiring at how ridiculously strong that offense looks. I hate the yankees with a passion, but I'm a big enough baseball fan to say hey, they have one awesome offensive lineup.

however as a reds fan, I dont think Im in any position to laugh at any other team's rotation.

Crash Davis
07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
The bad part is that they are playing by the rules. You can't fault them for that. Something does need to be done though.

In MLB today, the Yankees can have almost any player they want...and right now they're still on the outside looking in for the playoffs. Even if they do make the playoffs, they're going home early. That's pretty embarrassing when your available player pool is 98% of major leaguers.

vaticanplum
07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
The Yankees are an absolute joke. I'd be embarrassed to be a fan.

There are a lot of things to love about the Yankees. They are an organization with sky-high standards from top to bottom. The players go through hell from the front office and from the fans if they do not perform at least somewhere close to the best of their abilities. Thus with every player who comes to New York, you have some assurance that he understands the burden of expectations and has the desire to live up to them. If they fail, which they do sometimes, you almost always know that they failed at their best and to me that is the epitome of sport. If they didn't, they will pay for it, and that's part of sport too.

The Yankees have an extraordinary history behind them. While this is something to be respected in and of itself, it is not something that is irrelevant with the present-day team. They do not look at their history as a statue. They rely on it and build on it, and they do so genuinely, every day in that stadium, not just with lip service. It is a tough tradition to live up to, but they don't hide behind it. They try to surpass it.

I'm sure I can count on one hand the number of people on this board who will agree with this statement, but their fans are amazing. I have met some truly ornery, obnoxious Yankees fans, but I don't think I've ever met one who was ignorant about baseball. Because they are so used to defending their own love for their team while sometimes berating the team themselves, they tend towards the educated and impassioned. Most of them love baseball above all else. The ones in New York see the team as intrisically intertwined with the city, with history, and often with their own families. And as much as they berate their own team, they are as loyal as they come. It's tough to find a bar in that city with a TV that isn't showing the Yankees game if it's on, and tough to find one without a good number of people glued to the game when it is. They expect the best from their team, but they never desert it. They feel it is as natural a thing to share with their parents, grandparents and siblings as Christmas dinner. And all the Yankees fans I know who are my age came of age when the team sucked awfully, so no, it's not just a question of fair-weather fandom.

All of that, quite frankly, is a nice thing to turn to when there are other teams who make excuses for mediocrity, who will ever give less than 100% on the field or in the front office. There is something to be said for the Cubs fans who can go around saying "Wait until next year" year after year. That's a certain kind of loyalty and I respect it. It just doesn't happen to be mine. I'm not really romantic. I prefer action to dreams, and I want next year right now, or I at least want the promise of long-term action in lieu of dreams. Of course, it's not going to happen every year. But again, at least I can sleep at night knowing that everything was done to try for it. The Yankees drive me insane, and I hate the majority of the decisions they make these days, and, of course, lacking perfection, they don't always win. But I know that they turn over every stone they can. As a fan, that's all I can ask for, and they always give it to me, every time.

And we can talk about how much money the Yankees spend, but they also bring in more than any other team, and they do a tremendous amount of charity work (again, high standards -- it's expected) and a lot of things that do truly make a difference in their community, not just as something to put on paper. This is simply a responsibility they take on as a result of their success, and sometimes it's even quiet. Like I said, I don't agree with everything they do, in fact I spend an inordinate amount of time banging my head against the wall over them, but embarrassed? No way. Their actions are sometimes misguided, but their intentions are some of the things I respect most about baseball and occasionally, in a very convoluted way, about the world.

Cedric
07-30-2006, 10:04 PM
There are a lot of things to love about the Yankees. They are an organization with sky-high standards from top to bottom. The players go through hell from the front office and from the fans if they do not perform at least somewhere close to the best of their abilities. Thus with every player who comes to New York, you have some assurance that he understands the burden of expectations and has the desire to live up to them. If they fail, which they do sometimes, you almost always know that they failed at their best and to me that is the epitome of sport. If they didn't, they will pay for it, and that's part of sport too.

The Yankees have an extraordinary history behind them. While this is something to be respected in and of itself, it is not something that is irrelevant with the present-day team. They do not look at their history as a statue. They rely on it and build on it, and they do so genuinely, every day in that stadium, not just with lip service. It is a tough tradition to live up to, but they don't hide behind it. They try to surpass it.

I'm sure I can count on one hand the number of people on this board who will agree with this statement, but their fans are amazing. I have met some truly ornery, obnoxious Yankees fans, but I don't think I've ever met one who was ignorant about baseball. Because they are so used to defending their own love for their team while sometimes berating the team themselves, they tend towards the educated and impassioned. Most of them love baseball above all else. The ones in New York see the team as intrisically intertwined with the city, with history, and often with their own families. And as much as they berate their own team, they are as loyal as they come. It's tough to find a bar in that city with a TV that isn't showing the Yankees game if it's on, and tough to find one without a good number of people glued to the game when it is. They expect the best from their team, but they never desert it. They feel it is as natural a thing to share with their parents, grandparents and siblings as Christmas dinner. And all the Yankees fans I know who are my age came of age when the team sucked awfully, so no, it's not just a question of fair-weather fandom.

All of that, quite frankly, is a nice thing to turn to when there are other teams who make excuses for mediocrity, who will ever give less than 100% on the field or in the front office. There is something to be said for the Cubs fans who can go around saying "Wait until next year" year after year. That's a certain kind of loyalty and I respect it. It just doesn't happen to be mine. I'm not really romantic. I prefer action to dreams, and I want next year right now, or I at least want the promise of long-term action in lieu of dreams. Of course, it's not going to happen every year. But again, at least I can sleep at night knowing that everything was done to try for it. The Yankees drive me insane, and I hate the majority of the decisions they make these days, and, of course, lacking perfection, they don't always win. But I know that they turn over every stone they can. As a fan, that's all I can ask for, and they always give it to me, every time.

And we can talk about how much money the Yankees spend, but they also bring in more than any other team, and they do a tremendous amount of charity work (again, high standards -- it's expected) and a lot of things that do truly make a difference in their community, not just as something to put on paper. This is simply a responsibility they take on as a result of their success, and sometimes it's even quiet. Like I said, I don't agree with everything they do, in fact I spend an inordinate amount of time banging my head against the wall over them, but embarrassed? No way. Their actions are sometimes misguided, but their intentions are some of the things I respect most about baseball and occasionally, in a very convoluted way, about the world.

I used to believe all those dreamy things about the Yankees and their class. Then I've seen the way they handled Giambi and Sheffield and I realized they aren't any better.

They were ready to spit out Giambi and take his money when he wasn't producing, now that he is they are all behind him and ready to cover up everything.

Very hypocritical how they wanted to be so tough on steroids when it didn't matter to them.

StillFunkyB
07-30-2006, 10:14 PM

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of the Yankees, and I wish they would go away for awhile and let some other teams win some titles. It won't stop until MLB steps up and does something to even the playing field.

Unfortunately, the MLB Players Union has a strangle hold on the entire game. I'm not saying they are the only problem, but they are a major part of the problem as a whole.

vaticanplum
07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
I used to believe all those dreamy things about the Yankees and their class. Then I've seen the way they handled Giambi and Sheffield and I realized they aren't any better.

I really am not talking about class. I hate that word and I always hate it when applied to the Yankees. I'm talking about the way they handle their team specifically as it relates to the sport and the way they play baseball on the field and what they do to put it there.

Redus
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Put a cap on it. Until mlb has a cap and plays nice like the NFL there will be the haves and have nots which is BS. If there was a level playing field watch the attendance go up also. Are you going to a Royals game after May?