PDA

View Full Version : Making Homer Post-season eligible?

Kradokk
07-30-2006, 10:08 PM
What would the Reds have to do to make homer eligible for the post-season?

I believe they changed the post-season eligibilty rules a few years ago, after the situation with the Angels and Francisco Rodriguez dominating hitters in the playoffs. Can anyone fill me in on how the rule works now?

I know it would be interesting to see if the Reds make the playoffs, and Homer becomes the "secret weapon" in a post-season run. How can you make him eligible, yet minimize his exposure to MLB hitters, and maybe catch them with the element of suprise?

I know this may not be the most logical idea, but it worked well for Anaheim.

vaticanplum
07-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I could be talking out of my rear end here, but I assume he has to be on the 40-man roster by September 1. Doesn't mean they have to play him until the postseason, but I think he has to be there.

That's really no more than an educated guess though.

edit: for the record, I do not think this is a good idea.

IslandRed
07-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I remember that K-Rod was brought up late and the loophole involved replacing an injured player, but I don't recall the specifics.

jnwohio
07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Got to be on the active roster or major league DL as of midnite on 31 AUG/ Sept1.

The part I am not sure about is whether the 60 day DL counts. I think there is a good possibility it does not since guys on the 60 day Dl do not count against the 40 man MLB Roster (the basic reason to move guys from the regular (15 day) DL to the 60 day DL is because the team knows the guy is down for at least 60 days and wants to be able to clear a spot on the 40 man roster).

2001MUgrad
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Interesting

But, I think they are hard fast about him not coming up this year. Or at least they seem that way.

Kradokk
07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info. Anyone recall the specifics?

reds44
07-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Homer isn't coming up anytime soon.

Doesn't have the control on his breaking stuff to be a major league pitcher yet, especially a starter.

goreds2
07-31-2006, 03:38 AM
I could be talking out of my rear end here, but I assume he has to be on the 40-man roster by September 1. Doesn't mean they have to play him until the postseason, but I think he has to be there.

That's really no more than an educated guess though.

edit: for the record, I do not think this is a good idea.

BUT, Tracy Jones said to bring Homer up now.

Rod called in and also agreed. :eek: ("WeLLLLL Tracy......")

IslandRed
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Some quick Googling yielded the following:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1449436.html

Francisco replaced right-hander Steve Green, who initially was placed on the DL on March 11, while recovering from off-season Tommy John surgery. Steve was later transferred to the 60-day DL on April 5. The rules allow a club to replace an injured pitcher eligible for postseason with another pitcher, or a position player to do the same. Green's spot was simply replaced by Francisco, who was eligible because on August 31 he was on the 40-man roster.

That loophole must still exist; last year, the Indians called up an injured guy from Triple-A in late August and immediately put him on the 60-day DL, which would have allowed them to "replace" him had they made the playoffs.

IslandRed
07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
But then there's this little nugget -- apparently, Rodriguez wasn't even on the 40-man until his mid-September callup, and no one gave a flip. From a BP chat session in 2003:

Joshua Buergel (Seattle, WA): Chris, Do you know exactly what the postseason eligibility rule is? I think everybody knows about the famous Wolcott loophole by now, but nobody seems to know exactly which players can be run through that particular needle. On the 25 man Aug. 31? On the 25 man at any time before Aug. 31? The 40 man? In the organization?

Christina Kahrl: Working on the example afforded by Felix Rodriguez last year, I think we can safely say that baseball has no rules when it comes to postseason roster eligibility. Rodriguez wasn't added to the 40-man until mid-September, but nobody particularly cared, and when asked directly about it, the Angels and MLB preferred to get evasive.

As I said, nobody in the industry is really sweating this stuff as much as you or I do, so I've sort of given up much hope that the rules will be observed. Teams will build the postseason rosters they want, and whatever fig leaf they come up with, they'll happily home-grow and submit for MLB approval.

Chip R
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
But then there's this little nugget -- apparently, Rodriguez wasn't even on the 40-man until his mid-September callup, and no one gave a flip. From a BP chat session in 2003:

I'm sure someone will give a flip the next time it happens. You don't want to call the guy up and all of a sudden someone decides to make a stink about it and then he's declared ineligible.