PDA

View Full Version : Personal Hobbies

dman
07-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I've been coming onto this site for around 2 years or so, and I know a many of us share different hobbies (music, reading, etc....). One that I enjoy is building model airplanes. It is always nice to have your work recognized, and finally, a premier website for the hobby featured one of my kits, so I thought I'd share it. It's a 1/48 scale P-47D Thunderbolt listed about halfway down the frontpage of the site. And Creek14, if you read this, I didn't forget about the F-15E kit, I've just been on a big WWII kick lately.

The link: www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

Cedric
07-30-2006, 11:29 PM
My dad was into that big time for awhile. He's slowly moved away from it. He has a totally awesome p51 Mustang.

MWM
07-30-2006, 11:30 PM
WWII history is one of my biggest hobbies. I'm currently reading "It Never Snows in Septbember", the German view of Operation Market Garden.

I also love to play golf and I love musical theatre (yes I know it's weird, but I love it nonetheless).

reds1869
07-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm a professional musician and music teacher so obviously that's one of my hobbies. I'm also a stamp collector; interestingly enough, MWM, one of my specialties is the World War II era. I have quite a bit of european material from that era...it's interesting stuff if you like history.

Falls City Beer
07-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Amps, old pedals, guitars, old electronics generally. The more obscure and pointless the device, the better.

dman
07-30-2006, 11:34 PM
WWII history is one of my biggest hobbies. I'm currently reading "It Never Snows in Septbember", the German view of Operation Market Garden.

I also love to play golf and I love musical theatre (yes I know it's weird, but I love it nonetheless).
Speaking of WWII books, I read somewhere that "Flags Of Our Fathers" is coming to the big screen. Is there any truth to that?

reds1869
07-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Amps, old pedals, guitars, old electronics generally. The more obscure and pointless the device, the better.

Do any of them go to 11?

dman
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I was really into guitars at one time. I loved the shredding era of Paul Gilbert, Stev Vai and all of those guys. I could never adapt to the alternative music scene, so I gave up on music and sold all of my equipment off

Falls City Beer
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Do any of them go to 11?

Not normally. But I've tinkered with a few and destroyed a good many tubes in my day. So, yeah, I've invented my own version of "11" a few times.

For the record, I'm a godawful musician. I just like to fry circuit boards mostly.

MrCinatit
07-31-2006, 12:15 AM
I am a huge movie geek.
No, I don't know who the hairdresser was for Cleopatra - not that type of movie geek.
Quite simply, I enjoy and collect movies and am constantly watching them. From the original Thomas Edison experimentations to some of today's hidden treasures like The Hamburg Cell, I am always looking to add to my collection.

vaticanplum
07-31-2006, 01:06 AM
You guys have hobbies other than baseball?

westofyou
07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
You guys have hobbies other than baseball?
Graphic Design, Biking and Cooking

vaticanplum
07-31-2006, 01:30 AM

I suppose you people like to be "well-rounded".

For me, it's clothes. Theater and animals too, I guess. but I don't know that I care for them deep down as much as clothes.

Cedric
07-31-2006, 02:32 AM
I love cooking.

I'd say cooking, sports, and music is mine.

Like a lot of guys.

jmcclain19
07-31-2006, 04:23 AM
I have a couple. I mountain bike quite a bit lately. Enough that I'm thinking about upgrading my bike. It'll be even nicer come fall when I don't have to drive 70-100 miles to find a place to ride on the weekends due to the heat. Because of the mountain biking my wife and I and our friends have been camping more often lately, which means more biking and fishing and birdwatching as well.

Love golfing - during the spring and fall I go twice a month. Best part is I tend to travel for work so I take my clubs with me and go whenver I can. My work has lots of downtime - 10 hour days then back to an empty hotel room for weeks on end, so the clubs and a nearby range/course make the weeks fly by.

Also dogs are a hobby. My wife and I are big saps for boxers & other large dogs - we have anywhere from 1-5 at a time doing rescues, training, raising, etc.

I tried to re-take up bass guitar playing earlier this year but after a few months it just went back in the case and I haven't had time or desire to take it back out again. Maybe some day in the future.

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 04:25 AM
I post on message boards, and watch and read books about ww2 history and north american history.

cincyinco
07-31-2006, 05:20 AM
My main hobby is spinning and/or mixing recrods. Anthing from hip hop, disco, house, techno, progressive, etc. Other than that, computers is a hobby and psuedo career of mine. Comics books also, and sporst cards(,mainl;y baseball)

p[lease forgive my spellijng

another hobbyo f mine ins drinking!! haha.. woooOOOO!

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I love to play golf and fish, although I get to do very little of the latter. These days, I spend most of my time coaching my son's baseball teams, and working with him. With his team playing over 50 games this summer, my golf game has taken a back seat as well. I also help direct his youth group at church.

Ltlabner
07-31-2006, 07:43 AM

Wow FCB, I would have never guessed this. Serriouly, that's cool because I'm much the same way. I can make a lot of noise (read: I suck) on my Les Paul but I'd much rather spend a few hours in an old, crapped, dusty music stores trying to find that transistor gem.

Have you ever played around with some of those Maestro phase shifters? The ones in the black housings that are 6"x6" or so usually with three or four plastic rocker switches? They can put out some wacky sounds. Legend Rock & Roll 50 amps are pretty fun too. LOUD.

My other hobbies include: building things in my work shop, puttering around the house and sifting through antique stores/flee markets. You never know what you'd find. My #1 hobby, however, is airplane spotting. Just spending time at an airport with a scanner and a digital camera.

RFS62
07-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Golf, tennis and skiing were my passions for years.

A bad back and knee problems have almost cut out the skiing now though, sadly.

dabvu2498
07-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Golf, gardening and Jeeps.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Wow FCB, I would have never guessed this. Serriouly, that's cool because I'm much the same way. I can make a lot of noise (read: I suck) on my Les Paul but I'd much rather spend a few hours in an old, crapped, dusty music stores trying to find that transistor gem.

Have you ever played around with some of those Maestro phase shifters? The ones in the black housings that are 6"x6" or so usually with three or four plastic rocker switches? They can put out some wacky sounds. Legend Rock & Roll 50 amps are pretty fun too. LOUD.

My other hobbies include: building things in my work shop, puttering around the house and sifting through antique stores/flee markets. You never know what you'd find. My #1 hobby, however, is airplane spotting. Just spending time at an airport with a scanner and a digital camera.

I own several old Maestro pedals--my favorite being the old sample and hold pedal. Total anarchy.

And I love old Gibson amps; they almost never work when I find them, but I'm somehow always able to get them up on line again. Fun, simple electronic work--and they are usually the dirtiest sounding amps in the world.

Ltlabner
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
I own several old Maestro pedals--my favorite being the old sample and hold pedal. Total anarchy.

And I love old Gibson amps; they almost never work when I find them, but I'm somehow always able to get them up on line again. Fun, simple electronic work--and they are usually the dirtiest sounding amps in the world.

Yea, I had an old Gibson for a while. It was a Falcon I think? Can't remember. Great sounding amp but lots of hours tinkering. It was a combo with about a 10" speeker. It was a dark brown grillcloth and "gnauga hide" covering with a silver aluminum faceplate and crappy red dials.

I had a Fender Superchamp for a while. That was an awesome amp. But I sold it like a dummy.

RedsFan75
07-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Software Engineer by day....

Blues and Jazz guitarist by night! :)

On top of baseball I also love to paint, and play my music, Also love woodworking.

And FCB or Abner... Got any amps cluttering up the place you want to get out of your way, just let me know I'm sure I could find them a good home.

Ltlabner
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Software Engineer by day....

Blues and Jazz guitarist by night! :)

On top of baseball I also love to paint, and play my music, Also love woodworking.

And FCB or Abner... Got any amps cluttering up the place you want to get out of your way, just let me know I'm sure I could find them a good home.

Redsfan, I'm down to my trusty Mesa Boogie right now. At one time, however I had 7 or 8 amps laying around at any given moment....in my appartment. My neighbors loooooved me. But that was a long time ago when i was young and dumb.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Speaking of WWII books, I read somewhere that "Flags Of Our Fathers" is coming to the big screen. Is there any truth to that?

I found this on IMDB.com. It's in post production and Clint Eastwood is the director. If you scroll down to the message board there is thread for the release date and someone said it should be released October 20th. Looking forward to it. I just started reading the book and it's great so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418689/

redsfanfalcon
08-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Fantasy baseball and football, fishing, cooking.

TDHND
08-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Working out,playing sports,fishing,fantasy sports,oh yeah and I have a guitar that is collecting dust as we speak,lol...

westofyou
08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I suppose you people like to be "well-rounded".

That's what you get when you grow up before cable TV and the Internet, the "well-rounded " ;)

Reds4Life
08-05-2006, 12:55 PM
I have 2. I like target shooting, so I own quite a few firearms. The other is restoring cars, my latest project is a 1978 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser.

Both of my hobbies are expensive, my wallet hates me. :(

SunDeck
08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Golf is my hobby. Pretty bad golf, unfortunately.

I like to make pizza at home from scratch.
I have recently gotten into brewing beer, too. (Latest batch is brown ale)
So that makes for a nice meal.

And I suppose landscaping and gardening should be on my list, but truthfully, that is just something I know a lot about and did professionally. It's not like I'm itching to fill up my freetime with it. If anything, telling others what to do with their yards is more fun for me anymore. Preferably if we're doing that over a few homebrews.

Lastly, my wife is under the impression that remodeling is my hobby...which is why I took up golf.

redhawkfish
08-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Bass fishing

RedsFan75
08-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Both of my hobbies are expensive, my wallet hates me. :(

Understand that a LOT... try being a Guitar and Gear junkie! :D
The firearms are probably comprable, although restoring Cars has it beat on a lot!

What other things have you restored?

HumnHilghtFreel
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I like to write, I tinker around on the computer a lot, do a lot of reading, and I don't know if going to parties can be considered a hobby, but if so, it's one of mine:)

Reds4Life
08-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Understand that a LOT... try being a Guitar and Gear junkie! :D
The firearms are probably comprable, although restoring Cars has it beat on a lot!

What other things have you restored?

1955 Thunderbird that I gave to my mom as a birthday gift. It was the first car I ever restored, took me a year and half. :eek: I've got a 63' Lincoln Continental convertible, black, that was the 2nd car I did. Love that thing, will never sell it. My last completed car was a 1965 Mustang fastback; my girlfriend is currently driving that. I'd never done a truck or 4x4 before, and I always liked the old school FJ40's, so I decided to go for it as my latest toy.

I'm the president of the more money than brains club. :D

Sean_CaseyRules
08-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I love my guitars!!! I play them for at least 1 hour straight per night! I also love all kinds of music besides rap....And posting on message boards, lol, and oh yeah! Watching the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy whenever I can't think of anything else to do! Yes, I DO love being a nerd!!!

creek14
08-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I collect things that have my son's name, our last name, or Beavercreek, on them.

I bike.

I read a lot about radical Islam. Know the enemy and all that stuff.

MaineRed
08-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm like SunDeck Junior or something I guess.

Golf would be my main hobby. I play 2-5 times a week. I break 80 on a good day at my home course which is a par 70. Otherwise I am usually right around 80 but never seem to actually shoot 80.

Making homeade pizza is a huge love of mine. I like to cook in general but I really like to make pizza from scratch.

Get it right and it takes a really good pizza place to top what you can make at home. SunDeck, ever tried a deep dish pizza, cooked on the grill? Simply, amazing.

I also like to garden and mess around in the yard.

My wife and I do enjoy to travel but we don't do it often enough.

SunDeck
08-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Get it right and it takes a really good pizza place to top what you can make at home. SunDeck, ever tried a deep dish pizza, cooked on the grill? Simply, amazing.

No, I stick to stone baked. A friend of mine who used to be a baker makes the deep dish stuff on his grill and he swears by it.

DropDocK
08-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Reading, old movies (that means anything from talkies to, say, the 60's), my boys (2 dogs), annoying my friends & co-workers, music, beekeeping and traveling.

FoReel
08-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Paintballing, airsoft, club hockey, golfing, my girlfriend (even though sometimes i think its a job that i pay to work for), movies, and debating on forums over everything.

remdog
08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Tennis---I used to play about 4 times a week but for the last 5-6 years that darn thing known as a job has gotten in the way. Now I'm happy when I can get out there once a week.

Cooking. I subscribe to so many cooking magazines that I'm still working on issues from last Thanksgiving. Now that I finally got 'off the road' however, I'm catching up and having a great time with it.

Reading fiction. I like authors such as Connally, Leonard, Hiassan, Crais, etc.

By MaineRed: "....ever tried a deep dish pizza, cooked on the grill? Simply, amazing." Got a recipe? I'd like to give that a try.

Rem

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Pretty simple rem.

Spray a cast iron pan with Pam, then put your dough in and spread it around, going up the sides of the pan as much as you can. About 1/2 way up the sides is more than adequete.

The next step is to put on the cheese. For a deep dish you want the cheese on the bottom. My wife and I usually use sliced motzarella and sliced provolone. The mixture of the two is much better than just one or the other.

We then add a layer of sliced pepperoni.

My usual method is to add a layer of sliced tomatoes next (diced out of the can work too). On top of that goes a layer that is made up of sausage and pizza sauce. You want to spoon it on and then work it down inside the spaces between the tomatoe layer you put on before.

Lasty, sprinkle with a generous amount of grated parmesean cheese (we use the stuff in the can) and drizzle on some olive oil, on top of the crust and a over the top of the pizza.

However, after the cheese, you can do whatever you want. Sometimes we make a veggie deep dish and omit the sausage (but the sausage is key). Other times we add peppers or onions to the mix. I wouldn't give any concrete rules other than to put the cheese on first. It keeps it from burning with the longer cook time.

The cooking time will vary depending on how hot of a grill you have but I find it takes at least 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on it and check the crust. When the crust feels like pizza crust, she is probably done. Since you used Pam, you can also take a plastic spatula and lift up on the bottom so you can take a good look at it which is a good idea. You don't want to burn it but don't be alarmed if it is quite brown or darker than you might think it should be. Since it is a deep dish and you have so many moist ingredients on top of the dough, you'll hardly notice it and will perhaps even enjoy the contrast. You want some crunch to the dough or otherwise your eating lasagna.

My grill has no tempature gauge so I can't tell you what temp to cook it at. I usually just turn my gas grill on and leave it on high for 15-20 minutes and then throw on the pizza then just keep an eye on it.

When it comes out, if the crust is quite brown, quickly take the pizza out of the cast iron pan and put it on a cutting board or pizza pan. Two spatulas will lift it right out of the pan. If you believe it is done but she doesn't look overly done on the pan, let it sit in the pan for a few minutes and then take it out with the two spatualas. I recommend taking it out because it is much easier to cut and serve on a flat surface. The pan is so deep that it is next to impossible to cut in the pan and of course you don't want to be taking a knife to cast iron anyway.

Enjoy!

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Forgot to add two things.

1. Roasted tomatoes make this pizza much better if you have time. This adds some good spices and garlic to the mix.

2. I make my own pizza dough and find that it is much better than what I can get at the store, though we do use the stuff from the store from time to time and it works OK. If you have never made pizza dough, give it a try. Especially if you have a stand mixer.

Moosie52
08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi, all! Just back from a 3-week cruise in the North Atlantic. I followed the Reds on the Internet. I like to travel and read. Photography is another hobby I enjoy. I collect moose items.

Tommyjohn25
08-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I teach Martial Arts in my spare time between two jobs, I also like to fish, and I LOVE to sing.

pahster
08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I play bass, and at this time last year I was in a band. I don't see that happening again for a while, though. Preparing for the GRE has become my life. I'm also trying to get a project organized for a senior honors thesis, but I'm starting pretty late at that, so I'm not sure that it'll work.

Comic books (a little), Warhammer 40k (haven't had time in forever), rec league baseball (my team sucks), video games, and my kitty, Toast.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 10:06 AM

I'm intrigued by this--anything you can share online? For some reason, I just love bizarre or obscure collections like this.

I had a friend who collected--of all things--fruit labels. He literally had hundreds of them, he would paste them onto posterboard. Most were just rather boring, but he had some that were either unintentionally hilarious or strange, and some that were offensive or racist. It was really something.

registerthis
08-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm a big music geek--both collecting music and playing instruments. I own a few guitars and this swell multi-effects pedal that makes a sound like a jet engine revving up. Also own a couple of synths, an upright piano, and assorted samplers, effects boxes and mixers.

Also enjoy reading--I love anything political or satirical (combining the two is even better.) My fiancee is really into outdoor activities, and we go hiking/biking/kayaking with some degree of frequency. I cook when I'm up for it (I make a mean lasagna) but most of the time I come home too tired to cook anything. We travel a lot (heading to Maine next weekend), and am also a huge fan of traditional-style British pubs that sell good British cider and European beer.

That's me in a nutshell. ;)

remdog
08-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks, MaineRed. My off days are Thurs. & Fri. and this sounds like a nice little experiement for one of those days. I might get back to you with some questions.

I grill strictly with charcoal so I may have to make a little adjustment here or there but it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

When I was running our event marketing department I used to do the Sunset Magazine Festival every year. Great event set on their 'campus' among Redwood tress with access to their test kitchens, gardens etc. Weber Grills also exhibited there and for $3.00 they gave you an 8" pizza round and your choice of as many toppings as you wanted. They then proceeded to teach you how to grill that pizza over a charcoal fire. The only problem was that the offer was so popular and we were always so busy ourselves that in six years I never got to take advantage of the offer! Drat! :(

Rem

westofyou
08-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I used to do the Sunset Magazine Festival every year.At their corporate offices in Menlo Park? My wife used to work at a gaming company in that neighborhood, Sunset had a nice campus.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm intrigued by this--anything you can share online? For some reason, I just love bizarre or obscure collections like this.

I have to say, my collection's not what it used to be: I sold off a bunch of stuff in moves and for spending money in grad school, etc.

But I have a core set of things I'm unlikely to ever sell or get rid of; my favorites are: my late 60's Fender Princeton amp, a Gretsch Corvette with a nasty stock single-coil (it sounds like superheated insects), Roland Bee-Baa fuzz pedal, various Maestro pedals--sample and hold, phaser, MXR rackmount pitch shifter, a couple of non-working Mu-Tron Phasers (though I vow to get them up and running), and my newest addition, a Sears Silvertone guitar case amp (great fun).

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe just add a little extra charcoal to get some extra heat?

Let me know how you make out.

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
The overdub of pizza-making instructions and guitar effects going on here is quite amusing.

I also enjoy music quite a bit (I have long found there's an overlap of music lovers and baseball lovers) and, along those lines, I occasionally teach dance and skating to little kids (haven't for a while though). I once taught a hip-hop class to four-to-six year olds. This was, as you can imagine, quite amusing.

I'm kind of interested to know what people's non-hobbies are. There are two things on this earth that people get really, really into, as is evidenced by this thread, that I just can't: movies and food. Every New Year's I vow to learn more about both of these, and every year I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't care about movies, I never go, I don't own a DVD player, and I forget them in five minutes. This is ironic as I've spent a good part of my life in theater-based stuff, and also because I love books (stories) and remember them forever.

And food bores me to tears. Put a good meal in front of me, I'll eat it, I'll enjoy it a lot, and I'll forget about it in five minutes. I don't care what's in it. I don't want to know how to make it. I don't like to cook. It takes too long to prepare good food, then you eat it, then you have a big mess. The whole foodie culture baffles me. Restaurants are reviewed in magazines the same way that movies and plays and records are. What? And people talk about restaurants and ingredients; they get really into it. It's very trendy. I don't get it. I guess I see eating as more of a social thing, I enjoy that aspect of it...I'm kind of a picky eater too, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I buy stuff that sounds healthy and that's about the extent of my interest in food.

So that's my tangent. Does anybody else have non-hobbies that causes them to feel out of the loop sometimes?

dabvu2498
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
So that's my tangent. Does anybody else have non-hobbies that causes them to feel out of the loop sometimes?
Television (except sports). Drinking. Collecting stuff. I somewhat agree with you on movies. Cats. Add: Poker.

westofyou
08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Cats.

Good one.... I'm the opposite, forget dogs, love em to death and what absolutely nothing to do with them.

Other things that could go away and I would not notice... Fashion, Network TV and Computer and TV games like X Box.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2006, 04:34 PM
The overdub of pizza-making instructions and guitar effects going on here is quite amusing.

I also enjoy music quite a bit (I have long found there's an overlap of music lovers and baseball lovers) and, along those lines, I occasionally teach dance and skating to little kids (haven't for a while though). I once taught a hip-hop class to four-to-six year olds. This was, as you can imagine, quite amusing.

I'm kind of interested to know what people's non-hobbies are. There are two things on this earth that people get really, really into, as is evidenced by this thread, that I just can't: movies and food. Every New Year's I vow to learn more about both of these, and every year I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't care about movies, I never go, I don't own a DVD player, and I forget them in five minutes. This is ironic as I've spent a good part of my life in theater-based stuff, and also because I love books (stories) and remember them forever.

And food bores me to tears. Put a good meal in front of me, I'll eat it, I'll enjoy it a lot, and I'll forget about it in five minutes. I don't care what's in it. I don't want to know how to make it. I don't like to cook. It takes too long to prepare good food, then you eat it, then you have a big mess. The whole foodie culture baffles me. Restaurants are reviewed in magazines the same way that movies and plays and records are. What? And people talk about restaurants and ingredients; they get really into it. It's very trendy. I don't get it. I guess I see eating as more of a social thing, I enjoy that aspect of it...I'm kind of a picky eater too, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I buy stuff that sounds healthy and that's about the extent of my interest in food.

Movies, TV--I can't find time for either, and both take up tons of time.

It's baseball, philology, music, and electronics.

pahster
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM

Drinking, football, and dancing, which is probably odd considering how much I am into playing, writing, and listening to music. Sometimes rollercoasters. Floating and boating.

Oh, and considering where I live - country music.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 06:57 PM
And food bores me to tears. Put a good meal in front of me, I'll eat it, I'll enjoy it a lot, and I'll forget about it in five minutes. I don't care what's in it. I don't want to know how to make it. I don't like to cook. It takes too long to prepare good food, then you eat it, then you have a big mess.

I guess this is fine if you have a personal chef, can afford to eat at restaurants all the time or simply just enjoy eating mass produced crap.

I'm the opposite of all 3. My wife doesn't enjoy cooking, we can't afford to go out all the time and we're not big on Tony's pizza and TV diners.

As for non-hobbies, Seinfeld is one. We always watch it when we are bored, on a rainy day or such. We had all the shows taped before the DVDs even came out. I know that show inside out.

I'm not into birding, but I do feed the birds at my house and do take interest in that. It is nice to have birds in the yard. Our prize birds right now are a pair of northern cardinals (sort of rare to see at feeders up here) that come every morning and night. I have a number of feeders around the yard and keep a bird bath with fresh water. The worst part is trying to keep the squirrels at bay. I am at continual war with them. Squirrel proof feeders, baffles, wires, bb gun. I'm like Bill Murray in Caddyshack with the little suckers.

I do have a playstation that I use from time to time, mostly to play some sort of golf game. I did get Grand Theft Auto, Vice City off the bargain rack and that was sort of fun to kill some time during the cold winter months when it gets dark at 4 o'clock.

I like to read some as well, mostly about golf. I'm really into books about golf courses and the architects who built them. I've really enjoyed reading up on Donald Ross, Dr Alister McKenzie, Charles Blair McDonald and the greatest architect of all, Mother Nature (St Andrews Old).

When is someone going to mention that they like to post on message boards :laugh: ?

vaticanplum
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I guess this is fine if you have a personal chef, can afford to eat at restaurants all the time or simply just enjoy eating mass produced crap.

Uh...or have found a few good healthy dishes that you can prepare with very minimal effort. There is little-to-no creativity in my diet, but it doesn't fall under any of the categories you listed above. Getting creative with food just isn't a big interest of mine. And much of that stemmed directly from being so poor as an adult for many years.

Ravenlord
08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
music, playing with axes, history, role playing games, creating universes, reading, fishing, doing things with the Lady, camping, 'wild cooking', and kitties.

Indu WangZi
08-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Golf..played in college.

Softball..play in a competitve league in Shanghai

Aussie Rules Football...half-Aussie, so, gotta give the props to the homeland

Drinking beer....

SunDeck
08-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Drinking beer....

Also part of being half Aussie?
:beerme:
Welcome to the board.

SunDeck
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Forgot to add two things.

1. Roasted tomatoes make this pizza much better if you have time. This adds some good spices and garlic to the mix.

2. I make my own pizza dough and find that it is much better than what I can get at the store, though we do use the stuff from the store from time to time and it works OK. If you have never made pizza dough, give it a try. Especially if you have a stand mixer.

Making pizza dough is as easy as falling off a chair. My three year old knows the routine now. We have a Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook.

westofyou
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Getting creative with food just isn't a big interest of mine. And much of that stemmed directly from being so poor as an adult for many years.

Exact opposite for me, I learned to cook and cook damn good because I wasn't rolling in cash, that and not eating meat can lead you to trying anything at home.

vaticanplum
08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Exact opposite for me, I learned to cook and cook damn good because I wasn't rolling in cash, that and not eating meat can lead you to trying anything at home.

Some people are like that; I've been lucky enough to live with some of them and I admire you guys. There was a time when my ex-boyfriend and I were on "dollar thirty-nine" dinner budget. That's the money we had for dinner every night. He would spend a meticulous hour and a half at the grocery store and come home and prepare a feast. I'd spend two minutes at the produce stand on the corner and come home with a tomato. (I don't eat meat either, partly from residual poverty.)

Now I am not quite as broke and can splurge on things like tofu and salad dressing, which I eat several times a week. I have even gone so far as to start putting curry powder in my rice and beans, for which I am very proud of myself. But i still can't get myself worked up about cooking or fancy food in restaurants. Clearly, I have a bit of a complex about this. I keep trying to get interested and I keep failing. I like to make other creative stuff, why not food? I feel this is a black hole in my personhood.

Roy Tucker
08-08-2006, 11:53 AM
My hobbies are cooking (like many others here), outdoor grilling and smoking (got a smoker at the beginning of the summer and have been using it a lot for pulled pork, brisket, turkey, etc.), wine, reading, gardening, birding, listening to music of all kinds, movies (mostly at home, theatres are a little too $$$ these days for the quality you get), sports of all sorts (love to watch HS sports), and my family. Actually, my family eats up most of my spare time. Hiking, walking, and biking are in there too.

dabvu2498
08-08-2006, 11:58 AM
smoking (got a smoker at the beginning of the summer and have been using it a lot for pulled pork, brisket, turkey, etc.)
Brisket... mmm... brisket...

Thanks... you just helped me decide where to go for lunch.

MaineRed
08-08-2006, 12:06 PM

I'm with you. That is why I learned to cook a little bit. Going out for pizza and subs when I was in my early 20s got old and expensive, so I started going to the store. It was like, WOW, 4 of us can eat for the price of one. Been cooking ever since. Nothing fancy, just general meals.

My specialty is pizza though.

Agreed on the dough, Sundeck. The kitchen aid makes it very easy. Not sure if you want to give away any secrets but do you use anything besides the 4 staples, flour, water, yeast and salt? Most of the time, I don't, though I do sometimes use olive oil.

Roy Tucker
08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I do my pizza dough in a bread machine. I do a lot of pizza on the grill as well. Margherita pizza in summer with fresh tomotoes and fresh basil is great. When I say fresh, I mean from picking it from the garden to on the grill in about 2 minutes. Quesedillas on the grill are surprisingly good too. With the wife and 2 daughters getting progressively more non-meat, I'm getting creative with non-meat grilling.

And I got into cooking the same way. Eating out for good food was too expensive. I found that I genuinely enjoyed the whole process of cooking and serving it up to friends and family. Nothing better than hanging in the kitchen for an hour or two cooking, some good tunes on the stereo, a glass (or two or three) of wine, and my wife, kids, and friends. Good conversation and good times.

Don't get me wrong, I love to dine out as well, but with 3 kids going into college, our weekend entertaining is usually the at-home kind.

SunDeck
08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm with you. That is why I learned to cook a little bit. Going out for pizza and subs when I was in my early 20s got old and expensive, so I started going to the store. It was like, WOW, 4 of us can eat for the price of one. Been cooking ever since. Nothing fancy, just general meals.

My specialty is pizza though.

Agreed on the dough, Sundeck. The kitchen aid makes it very easy. Not sure if you want to give away any secrets but do you use anything besides the 4 staples, flour, water, yeast and salt? Most of the time, I don't, though I do sometimes use olive oil.

I add about a tablespoon of light olive oil for every two cups of flour. Some commercial places just use butter instead because it helps the crust brown more. And I have messed around with the protein levels of the dough. Authentic Neopolitan 'za is made from a fairly low protein flour, but the tradition in the US is to use a high protein flour, which is a little tougher to stretch. My dough is pretty simple these days, although I do like to use the flour from our local co-op. It's pretty good stuff.

One thing that is tough about dough is the difference between seasons. In the summer, when there is a lot of humidity, the dough retains more moisture. In the winter it's the exact opposite. Because of this, I have never had an "absolute" amount of water that I add. Friends who have tried to learn how to make pizza have found this frustrating, but it's something I got a feel for over time.

BuckWoody
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I've been coming onto this site for around 2 years or so, and I know a many of us share different hobbies (music, reading, etc....). One that I enjoy is building model airplanes. It is always nice to have your work recognized, and finally, a premier website for the hobby featured one of my kits, so I thought I'd share it. It's a 1/48 scale P-47D Thunderbolt listed about halfway down the frontpage of the site. And Creek14, if you read this, I didn't forget about the F-15E kit, I've just been on a big WWII kick lately.

The link: www.aircraftresourcecenter.com
Nice job, dman. I put this (http://www.revell.com/catalog/products/1_48_Scale_B17_G_Flying_Fortress-649-7.html) together as a present for my folks this past Christmas. It was a replacement for the exact same model I had built as a 13-14 year old. I had a lot of fun doing it but it didn't take long to realize that I had a lot better eyesight at that age than I do at 41. I've been toying with the idea of putting together a few more but it hasn't gone much past that yet.

I love attending sporting events, if that can be considered a hobby. I go to around 20 Reds games a year, have missed precious few Bengals' games in the last 13 years or so, have season tickets to UD Flyer basketball, have been to about 15 Indy 500's and a couple Brickyard 400's, and usually make it over to Columbus at least once a year to take in a Buckeye football game. My wife goes to most of these with me of her own volition and we have a great time...at least I think we do. :dunno:

:D

Falls City Beer
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Some people are like that; I've been lucky enough to live with some of them and I admire you guys. There was a time when my ex-boyfriend and I were on "dollar thirty-nine" dinner budget. That's the money we had for dinner every night. He would spend a meticulous hour and a half at the grocery store and come home and prepare a feast. I'd spend two minutes at the produce stand on the corner and come home with a tomato. (I don't eat meat either, partly from residual poverty.)

Now I am not quite as broke and can splurge on things like tofu and salad dressing, which I eat several times a week. I have even gone so far as to start putting curry powder in my rice and beans, for which I am very proud of myself. But i still can't get myself worked up about cooking or fancy food in restaurants. Clearly, I have a bit of a complex about this. I keep trying to get interested and I keep failing. I like to make other creative stuff, why not food? I feel this is a black hole in my personhood.

Nah. Preparing food gets in the way of important stuff. Like re-reading Catullus' poems for the 90,000th time.

I hate cooking. Not because I don't love a great meal. I just hate it. It's a colossal bore to me.

BuckWoody
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
And I got into cooking the same way. Eating out for good food was too expensive. I found that I genuinely enjoyed the whole process of cooking and serving it up to friends and family. Nothing better than hanging in the kitchen for an hour or two cooking, some good tunes on the stereo, a glass (or two or three) of wine, and my wife, kids, and friends. Good conversation and good times.
We enjoy that exact same thing (wine, music, friends, children), although my wife is the one who enjoys the cooking aspect. I do handle the grilling duties, though. My wife's love of cooking coupled with my propensity for eating said cooking has lead me to appear in real life much the same way that the gentleman in your avatar does. :(

Puffy
08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
sex.

SunDeck
08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
sex.

Hobbies are supposed to be something you do a lot, Puff.
:evil:

Puffy
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Once a year is absolutely hobby worthy, thank you very much.

jmcclain19
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Hobbies are supposed to be something you do a lot, Puff.
:evil:

Like any hobby, it's one usually done in solitude.

Puffy
08-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Like any hobby, it's one usually done in solitude.

Ohhhh, look - its Josh.

Josh's main hobby these days is being whipped. Ever since he got married.....

:mooner:

SunDeck
08-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Once a year is absolutely hobby worthy, thank you very much.

I stand corrected. You're gettin' way more than we all figured.

MaineRed
08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't measure the water either SunDeck. Just keep adding until the dough is the texture I like.

I'll have to try butter sometime. Actually never added it to a pizza dough.

I might even give it a try now.

Sweetstop
08-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Kids grown and gone, these days I love cooking (finally after all these years of preparing food... eating healthy, eating locally...reading "Omnivore's Delimma..A Natural History of Four Meals"..), movie freak (watching all kinds, esp. classic, read film history, collect Cary Grant movies), play piano (collect old sheet music ), collect old vinyl LPs, read everything (including small erotic literature collection), travel when my husband and I have time, hiking and enjoying Wildwood, our 11 acres of woods, creeks, all kinds of wildlife..love our western red cedar home more than ever after 31 years...UK basketball...go to home games at Rupp...motoring in my Mini Cooper...

remdog
08-09-2006, 07:23 AM
At their corporate offices in Menlo Park? My wife used to work at a gaming company in that neighborhood, Sunset had a nice campus.

That would be the one. Nice campus and one of the few events that I would happily pay money to go to as a 'civilian'.

MaineRed: I don't make pizza dough. Is there one that can be store bought that you'd recommend?

As to how I got into cooking, when I was younger I traveled for my job a lot so I was always eating in restaurants, mostly on an expense account, and I tried a lot of different things. Every once in awhile I'd have some dish that was really terrific. It occured to me that it would be nice to be able to make it at home so I started to learn the basics and progressed to my own creations.

One thing that always impressed me was that I found that if you complimented the chef (through the waiter for instance) and asked a question about how the dish was prepared the chef would often come out of the kitchen and tell you themselves if it wasn't too busy. A couple of them even sat down to share a glass of wine for a few minutes. With the advent of 'exhibition kitchens' it became even easier to pick up tips if you were willing to sit at the counter 'cause the chefs will often walk you through the dish as they are preparring it. Entertaining too, especially if you are dining alone.

Another thing is that it doesn't necessarily take a lot of time to prepare a terrific meal. Last night I grilled a frenched rack of lamb (4 minutes on each side, take it off the grill and coat with pesto sauce, then 4 minutes on each side again for rare/medium rare), grilled some fresh figs along with that, added garlic mashed potatoes and a small salad and the total cooking time was only about 25 minutes. That's a $25-$35 entree in a lot of restaurants for about $6-$7 at home.

Rem

MaineRed
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
MaineRed: I don't make pizza dough. Is there one that can be store bought that you'd recommend?

The kind I usually buy are made by the Grocery Store I go to. I don't know of any national brands that you might find.

You should try making some dough. The prep time is only about 5-10 minutes. You just have to let it rise which will take 1-1.5 hours.

If you don't want to make it, I'm sure a larger store would have some all made. I've also read that you can buy them from local pizza shots but to be honest I have never built up the courage to ask.

It seems like your going to get more dirty looks than you are pizza doughs.

Roy Tucker
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM

We've used the Pillsbury pizza dough and it's not too shabby. The Boboli pre-made crusts are OK too. Not home-made, but good.

Sometimes I don't feel like messing around with making dough. Or the troops are too hungry to wait. Better than ordering Dominos.

westofyou
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
We've used the Pillsbury pizza dough and it's not too shabby. The Boboli pre-made crusts are OK too. Not home-made, but good.

Sometimes I don't feel like messing around with making dough. Or the troops are too hungry to wait. Better than ordering Dominos.
Trader Joes has some great ready made dough, I prefer the cornmeal one myself.

Indu WangZi
08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Also part of being half Aussie?
:beerme:
Welcome to the board.

Fair dinkum on that, matey.

I loves me some VB beer....:beerme:

BoydsOfSummer
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Sittin' on the porch without any shoes, Pickin' the bass and singin' the blues.

RedsFan75
08-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi there Clyde!

:)

MWM
08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Sittin' on the porch without any shoes, Pickin' the bass and singin' the blues.
You're not helping the Hamilton stereotype. :evil: I'm a Hamilton native so i can say that.

Jefferson24
08-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Bass fishing, dirt biking.

i_heart_jason
08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
i'm a knitter.

BoydsOfSummer
08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
You're not helping the Hamilton stereotype. :evil: I'm a Hamilton native so i can say that.

You should meet the rest of the family. :laugh:

GAC
08-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Do you have any good recipes for salmon patties? The way my wife makes them, I'd rather eat the label off the can (but I don't have the heart - or balls - to tell her :lol: )

westofyou
08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Do you have any good recipes for salmon patties? The way my wife makes them, I'd rather eat the label off the can (but I don't have the heart - or balls - to tell her :lol: )
No... but my first reaction would be to not eat canned salmon... I don't think it's even legal here in the Northwest.

My buddy from Cincinnati grew up eating salmon out of the can, after he had his first piece of Coho he wanted to call his mom up and give her the what for about the canned stuff.

SunDeck
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Fair dinkum on that, matey.

I have no idea what that means, man. But it sounds so cool.

GAC
08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I have only four hobbies left..... Jackie, Aaron, Rachel, and Samuel.

I played all types of softball ("B" and "C") up to about 4-5 years ago. Loved those weekend tourneys. I've played some sort of baseball since I could walk.... now I can't walk. ;)

Was raised on camping. It was the only way, growing up, we could afford to go on vacations. My brother and I tried to take our respective families camping together a few times over the years and it was always a disaster. The men and kids had fun, but the wives hated it (and let us know it too).

I enjoyed coaching Rachel and Samuel (and other kids) in summer baseball leagues. It really brings out the kid in me, and I'm not one who is overly competitive and believes that winning is the only option. It's all about the kids, teaching fundamentals, bonding, and having fun.

I'm trying to get back into reading. I'm a HUGE history buff (wanted to be a history teacher at one time). But I love reading books on American history and also biographies.

I'm trying to learn more about computers (fixing and possibly building them). With four computers in this house it can come in handy at times. Would like to take a course sometime.

GAC
08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
No... but my first reaction would be to not eat canned salmon... I don't think it's even legal here in the Northwest.

It ought to be illegal here in the Mid-West too. ;)

Reds4Life
08-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Drinking. I never found the fun in it, I prefer to remember what I did and said the next morning.

gonelong
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I am an Aquarius that enjoys cigars, golfing, fishing, campfires, and boating.

When the opportunity arises I will glady camp, gardern, mountain bike, play a little cornhole, and have a few beers.

I also enjoy card games (especially poker and Pinochle) and board games.

I dislike fruity drinks and I don't like to get wet.

GL