PDA

View Full Version : Jason Schmidt on the block

Royals Fan
07-31-2006, 01:31 AM
According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, the Giants are now open to discussing a Jason Schmidt trade.

Giants GM Brian Sabean has maintained all along that he'd be a buyer, not a seller, but it might be best for the franchise's future if he goes back on his word. Re-signing Schmidt to a long-term deal would be very risky, and he has a great deal of trade value as easily the best pitcher on the market. Stark says the Mets are talking to the Giants about Schmidt, and the Red Sox, Angels, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Braves and Dodgers are among the many other contenders likely to have interest.
Source: ESPN Insider

Jpup
07-31-2006, 01:36 AM
According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, the Giants are now open to discussing a Jason Schmidt trade.

Giants GM Brian Sabean has maintained all along that he'd be a buyer, not a seller, but it might be best for the franchise's future if he goes back on his word. Re-signing Schmidt to a long-term deal would be very risky, and he has a great deal of trade value as easily the best pitcher on the market. Stark says the Mets are talking to the Giants about Schmidt, and the Red Sox, Angels, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Braves and Dodgers are among the many other contenders likely to have interest.

of course, the Reds would have little interest.:rolleyes:

Cedric
07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
He's the only guy I'd want tommorow.

Anyone else I hope like hell we pass.

Royals Fan
07-31-2006, 01:38 AM
My thoughts are the braves will get him for prospects like mcbribe and there young double a catcher for Schmidt my thoughts.

Jpup
07-31-2006, 01:39 AM
My thoughts are the braves will get him for prospects like mcbribe and there young double a catcher for Schmidt my thoughts.

the Braves are as dead as the Astros.

Royals Fan
07-31-2006, 01:41 AM
maybe but John S always pulls someting out of his bag or tricks at the trade deadline, Schmidt was former brave farm hand 2 who went to the bucs.

MartyFan
07-31-2006, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't count on too many in the press knowing what Special K is up to and what he is not up to...he may not be in on the talks but then again, he is no Bowden and keeps his mouth shut.

rcb126
07-31-2006, 03:25 AM
I doubt Schmidt is going any where at all.

Redus
07-31-2006, 05:23 AM
He's all but said he'd like to pitch for the Padres next year I believe.

Jpup
07-31-2006, 06:28 AM
He's all but said he'd like to pitch for the Padres next year I believe.

Seattle, he is from Washington.

buckeyenut
07-31-2006, 06:51 AM

This is a guy I would trade some of my best spects for. I'd really push to explore signing him long term, but I'd pull the trigger on Schmidt even without that. If you get him here and he loves being on the club, it might be easier to resign him.

OldXOhio
07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
This is a guy I would trade some of my best spects for. I'd really push to explore signing him long term, but I'd pull the trigger on Schmidt even without that. If you get him here and he loves being on the club, it might be easier to resign him.

I can't see getting schmidt just with prospects, even if bailey were one of them. The Giants are going to want some major league talent as well.

FutureRedsGM
07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Jason Stark on Mike and Mike now saying that the giants would be looking for a Carlos Lee type return on Schmidt, meaning they want MLB players in return so they can stay in contention.

corkedbat
07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
of course, the Reds would have little interest.:rolleyes:

The Reds have very little to offer, except maybe Encarnacion, Votto, Bruce and Bailey and none of those are going anywhere for what is most likely and aging rental (even though he is a still dang fine pitcher).

Team Clark
07-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Schmidt has been on the block since ST. Not sure where this nugget came from.. LOL! Schmidt would look great at the top of the Reds roation. He could take some pressure off Arroyo.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
I really could see him with the Snakes. The have the prospects (Young and Nippert) to get a trade for Schmidt done.