PDA

View Full Version : Semi-relevant stat for the "Homer now" crowd

muethibp
07-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Mike Burns, who struggled in three stints with the Reds, continues to dominate at Triple-A Louisville. Burns threw 12/3 scoreless innings Saturday to lower his ERA to 0.97 in the Bats' 5-4 loss to Toledo. His ERA with the Reds was 8.78.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060731/SPT04/607310386/1078

The minors ain't the show. Particularly with all the talk about Homer not being able to throw breaking balls for out pitches, no guarantee that Homer doesn't have the same experience. If he did, not only would the team lose games but his confidence would be shot and his arbitration clock would be started.

ChatterRed
07-31-2006, 07:57 AM
There are two different reports coming out about Homer. There's the group that says he can't throw anything but a fastball, and then there's the group that says he's been locking batters up at the plate with a great breaking ball/offspeed pitch.

I've heard 2 different stories on Homer. Which goes to show you that nobody here has a clue.

Steve4192
07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
I've heard 2 different stories on Homer
They are both right.

No one has said Homer doesn't have any breaking stuff. Heck, a big part of the reason the Reds drafted him is because his 12-6 curve was judged as the best breaking pitch in the draft. What people have said in regards to his offspeed stuff is (1) he lacks command of it and (2) he lacks confidence in it. When he gains command and confidence in his curve, it is going to be a plus pitch.

Homer has been mixing in some breaking stuff in his most recent starts, and he has been freezing batters with it. However, he has also been struggling with his control of the offspeed stuff and he hasn't yet shown he will use it when he is down in the count.

RedsManRick
07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
If you can't locate that offspeed/breaking stuff in the zone, then major league hitters will just sit fastball. Watch Rich Hill of the Cubs sometime. The guy tears up the minors but it's because they'll chase his curve. Major leaguers sit back and watch the curve drop out of the zone.

Bailey might be able to get away in the bullpen, a few batters at a time. But until batters have to be honest, there's no way he'll be a successful starter.

smith288
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Regarding Burns.... There is nothing that he has to prove in the minors obviously so what exactly is that dude's problem when he has a red C on his hat?

dabvu2498
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Regarding Burns.... There is nothing that he has to prove in the minors obviously so what exactly is that dude's problem when he has a red C on his hat?
I thought Burns performed well at Chattanooga. :D

TRF
07-31-2006, 09:47 AM

honestly, I think it's sample size and a little bad luck. Plus he should never see a LH hitter ever. He's 28, and I think he has developed late, but he's got the FO sour on him, and if he wants to pitch in the major leagues again, it will probably be elswhere. That said, I'd shut Majewski down for the rest of the year due to overwork, and put Burns in his place.