PDA

View Full Version : Zach Ward traded to Twins

Willie0023
07-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I have it on good authority that Zach Ward has been traded to the Twins for Kyle Lohse. Seems like the Reds could have gotten more for a Top 10 prospect in their org, but the Twins were persistent. This just went down, and should become public later today.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't like it. I know Lohse has been unlucky so far this year, but he has a high salary and IIRC, he's arbitration eligible (again) this coming offseason. Zach Ward is a nice prospect, and one I was hoping to see make his way through the system and pitching for the Reds.

Joseph
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Was Ward the kid from Texas?

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
No. Ward was the Reds 3rd round draft choice in 2005 out of Gardner Webb.

Awful trade.

Puffy
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't like it. I know Lohse has been unlucky so far this year, but he has a high salary and IIRC, he's arbitration eligible (again) this coming offseason. Zach Ward is a nice prospect, and one I was hoping to see make his way through the system and pitching for the Reds.

Well, one of the main reasons Lohse has been unlucky this year is because he sucks as a pitcher. Usually guys who suck get unlucky.

And I am with you - if this is the actual trade, then its horrible with a capital H. And a capital O for good measure as well. Thats HOrrible for those of you scoring at home.

smith288
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win

OldRed1966
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Well, one of the main reasons Lohse has been unlucky this year is because he sucks as a pitcher. Usually guys who suck get unlucky.

And I am with you - if this is the actual trade, then its horrible with a capital H. And a capital O for good measure as well. Thats HOrrible for those of you scoring at home.

I agree. If this trade is true then it would be the worst trade of the Krivsky era. Where would Lohse fit into the Reds plans? :confused:

Joseph
07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win

Based on his 51-57 career record I'd have to disagree at least with the knows how to win part.

zombie-a-go-go
07-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Is this confirmed anywhere?

deltachi8
07-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Usually guys who suck get unlucky.

I may have found a new signature, with all credit due of course...

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 10:34 AM

No, not yet. A change of title might be appropriate until it is.

Luvsbaseball
The Dragons play Beloit starting Tues. Ward is riding the bus to Beloit with the dragons today after the game. But he is a TWIN now.... I don't like this trade. Ward was an AWESOME PROSPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown

Reds Fanatic
I have looked at all the major sites and seen no hint of this anywhere.

ChaseReds
07-31-2006, 10:36 AM
I have it on good authority that Zach Ward has been traded to the Twins for Kyle Lohse. Seems like the Reds could have gotten more for a Top 10 prospect in their org, but the Twins were persistent. This just went down, and should become public later today.

"Good Authority"- Where is the source. Change the title to the thread.

tbball10
07-31-2006, 10:36 AM
has anyone looked on the twins message board

JaxRed
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
It's interesting that Wille023's prior postings have all been about Ward. Someone with a connection?

edabbs44
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe Willie is really Wayne and is bouncing trades off of us to see how we'd feel about them?

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
has anyone looked on the twins message board
I tried a few and the only thing I can tell you is I can't find a good Twins message board. The few I saw mentioned nothing but they really didn't have many messages at all.

Tommyjohn25
07-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh man I love it, everyone already hates the trade and it hasn't even been announced yet. Oh the hilarity...:rolleyes:

By the way, if it's true, I'll take it. What's that old addage that's said on here all the time? Something about you trade pitching prospects for Major League ready pitching any day? Well, last I checked Zach Ward hasn't won any games for the Reds this year.

Willie0023
07-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Guys you are going to have to trust me on this. This has 100% already happened. You can change the thread name if you wish, but that would not be wise. This is legit, literally just happened in the last hour. Ironically Zachs first start may be against Dayton. Talk about adrenaline!!!!!

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2006, 10:44 AM
It is official this is Marc's blog:

The Reds also have acquired right-hander Kyle Lohse from the Twins for minor league right-hander Zach Ward.

Considering Lohse (who's making $3.95 million this year) already has been demoted to the minors for three weeks and then shunted off to the bullpen upon returning to the majors, I don't know that he's the ideal solution here. But you can't consider it a surprise, in the wake of the Joe Mays experiment.

danken12
07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Its been confirmed by Marc Lancaster!!!:help:

Luvsbaseball
Guys you are going to have to trust me on this. This has 100% already happened. You can change the thread name if you wish, but that would not be wise. This is legit, literally just happened in the last hour. Ironically Zachs first start may be against Dayton. Talk about adrenaline!!!!!

This is true.... i just talked to T.Wood.....

FIRELEFT
Willie is right it happened.
:thumbdown

Red Leader

Well, if true, it sucks. Plain and simple. Wayne you are stupid for making this move and I'm greatly disappointed in you for losing Ward in exchange for Kyle Lohse, a player that he has to know the Twins WANTED to get rid of....:bang:

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Another awful trade by Krivsky. You trade a guy with great stuff like Ward for total crap like Lohse? Bring back Joe Mays!

Krivsky is regressing to Dan O'Brien's level.

REDREAD
07-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Amazing what Desparation will do to a guy.

Oh well, with Gernamo traded, we had to grab a body. Otherwise you risk that Claussen isn't 100%, and you don't have anybody to slot in the #5 slot.

ChaseReds
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Amazing what Desparation will do to a guy.

Oh well, with Gernamo traded, we had to grab a body. Otherwise you risk that Claussen isn't 100%, and you don't have anybody to slot in the #5 slot.

GM Desperation? Wasnt that the title of a Family Guy Episode last seasons....?

Yea yea it was. Brian's nickname was Special K in GM Desperation!

Special K in GM Desperation
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-1family_guy_2.jpg

EDIT: by the way I am just kidding- Special K isnt all that bad

redsmetz
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Here's a comment from the Twins discussion board:

Regarding this one - yes, we got a lot for Kyle. Of course, it is only potential though. But we have to keep in mind, regardless of how many of us feel about Kyle, he is a 27 year old pitcher with 50+ Major League wins and a sub 5 ERA. For someone looking for a 5th starter, that is fairly apealing.

Just a thought.

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
Veteren leadership
Knows how to win
= Not very good at playing the game:evil:

Aronchis
08-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Another awful trade by Krivsky. You trade a guy with great stuff like Ward for total crap like Lohse? Bring back Joe Mays!

Ward with great stuff? Mercy no.

dougdirt
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Aronchis are you saying Ward didnt have good stuff?

Steve4192
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
You trade a guy with great stuff like Ward for total crap like Lohse?
I hate to break it to you, but Kyle Lohse has better stuff than Zach Ward. Just goes to show you that great stuff doesn't always translate to the major league level. Like all A ball pitchers, Zach Ward is much more likely to wash out than he is to contribute in the majors.

Besides, why are folks acting as if Lohse has been a horrible pitcher for his career? He has pretty much been a dead-on league average starter in the AL for the last four years. Yes, he had an ugly 38 IP run at the beginning of 2006, but that hardly offsets the 750+ league average innings he posted from 2002-2005.

Let's not forget that Everday Eddie was getting his head stove in in Seattle, yet he has turned his season around since being acquired by the Reds. If Lohse can return to his 2005 form down the stretch (6 IP/GS, 4.18 ERA), I will be more than happy.

Steve4192
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM

Still think Lohse is total crap and Krivsky is regressing to DOB level?

westofyou
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
One of the great things about Lohse is the workload he brought to the Reds from this season, very small... the mans arm is fresher then most that were on the market.

That's a good thing to get in the month of August.

CTA513
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM

Hes pitched like 4 or 5 games and I dont think anyone would expect someone with a ERA over 7 before the trade to have an ERA under 2 with the Reds. Krivsky took a risk and so far its paying off.

westofyou
08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Hes pitched like 4 or 5 games and I dont think anyone would expect someone with a ERA over 7 before the trade to have an ERA under 2 with the Reds. Krivsky took a risk and so far its paying off.
Well many posters take a risk whenever they opinion on a move too.

I'm sure if Lohse tanked this thread would be longer then it is now.

REDREAD
08-23-2006, 05:35 PM
One of the great things about Lohse is the workload he brought to the Reds from this season, very small... the mans arm is fresher then most that were on the market.

That's a good thing to get in the month of August.

That's an excllent point about Lohse being fresh. Let's hope he can keep it up.

OnBaseMachine
08-23-2006, 06:20 PM

I praised Krivsky last night in the game thread for the deal.

Edit...sorry CH. I'm a little grouchy today. I apologize.

dieselman44
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
He didnt mouth off to you, all he did was ask a question. Take it easy, you obviously were wrong about the trade, you win some you lose some.

ThornWithin81
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I think its a little too soon to say that OBM is wrong about the trade. Almost all of the trades K has made are too recent to really know whether they were good or bad deals.

Ask me again this time next year what I think of Lohse. That's a better time to be trade-grading. :thumbup:

Cedric
08-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I praised Krivsky last night in the game thread for the deal.

Edit...sorry CH. I'm a little grouchy today. I apologize.

I just couldn't understand how people were disgusted and ready to fire Wayne Krivsky over a 23 pitcher in high a ball that throws completely across his body.

Drastic responses all over the place.

Cedric
08-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I think its a little too soon to say that OBM is wrong about the trade. Almost all of the trades K has made are too recent to really know whether they were good or bad deals.

Ask me again this time next year what I think of Lohse. That's a better time to be trade-grading. :thumbup:

It's not gonna be long before we find out. If we make the playoffs it's a great trade no matter what Ward does.

I think part of the problem with baseball message boards is everybody feels they need to put a prediction down before they really see anything. Most people hadn't seen Ward pitch before and I bet most knew nothing but Lohse's stats.

Patience isn't always fun if you wanna be cocky about your predictions in the future, but it's the smart way sometimes.

Doc. Scott
08-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Incidentally, Ward's only win since the trade is over the Dragons.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=458705

Crash Davis
08-24-2006, 02:32 PM
This thread = microcosm of redszone.

Good stuff here.

Benihana
08-25-2006, 08:02 PM
put me down as in favor of this trade

Ward at the time was the most expendable of the trading chips we had (others being Wood, Cueto and Votto), and Lohse has been the best SP (after the trade) on the trade market. Sounds like a do to me.

IF Ward ends up being ok in a few years, you can't look back with regret. Although I'm sure a lot of Red Sox fans would like to have Freddy Sanchez back, no one faults Theo for trading him for extra pitching help for the stretch drive in 2003. However thats a big IF when he's putting up numbers like he has in Beloit (1-3, 5.82 era) since the trade, as a 23-yr old in high A.