PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all Golfers of all abilities

Highlifeman21
07-31-2006, 10:58 AM
A couple simple, quick and dirty questions for the golfing faithful of Redszone.

1. What is the most prestigious course you've played on, both public and private?

2. What is the most difficult course you've played on, both public and private?

3. What was your best golfing experience, both public and private?

---------------------------------------

My answers:

1. Public = Bethpage Black Private = (Tie) Congressional Gold, Merion East

2. Public = Bethpage Black Private = Merion East (don't miss the fairways, good luck figuring out the greens)

3. Public = (Tie) Pine Hill Golf Club, NJ ; TPC Sawgrass, FL ; Torrey Pines South, San Diego, CA Private = Congressional Gold

-----------------------------------------

After reading some answers, it seems most people are looking at #3 as best golfing memory, so I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents to that...

Very first time I ever played the famous 17th Island Hole @ TPC Sawgrass I birdied it. That hole is maybe only 140 yards, but looks extra long and you never know what the wind is doing. I kinda hit my PW a lil heavy, and I thought my ball was wet but it barely made the front edge and I had probably 7 feet below the hole. Sank the putt.

What I meant by best golfing experience was just the overall package, the entire day, condition of the course, scenery, etc....

Pine Hill is ranked something like #31 best public course in the nation, and is just over the Ben Franklin in NJ. You can actually see the Philly skyline on a couple holes, so that was an added bonus for me. I thought the course was in perfect shape, which at the time I played Pine Hill was a public, it's now changed to semi-private. TPC Sawgrass is just beautiful all the way around, offers a great challenge, but won't kill your wallet or your golf pride. Playing #15 thru #18 at Sawgrass, I don't know if it gets any prettier for a 4 hole stretch. Torrey Pines south is the poor man's Pebble Beach. Oceanside views, but won't hit ya for $350 a round since TP is a San Diego city/county muni. Beautiful scenery, fairly challenging set up. Should prove to be interesting what they do to trick up that course for the 2008 US Open.

As for Congressional, anyone who's ever been there, it's like taking a step back into time. Its Clubhouse is out of this world, with not only the history, but the architecture as well. While the Blue Course is every bit as beautiful, I just think the Gold Course really sets itself apart as a true "Championship" golf course. When I was at Congressional, I just knew that I was at a special place.

Hopefully in 2007 I'll get the chance to finally make the trip to St. Andrews, the birthplace of golf. I'm sure I'll be just as moved, if not moreso on the Old Course.

SunDeck
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
1. What is the most prestigious course you've played on, both public and private?
I'm almost 100% muni.

True Blue CC in South Carolina- I gave up golf six times that day.

I have two that are equals:

227 Yard par three at the local muni, with an absolute cliff off the back of the green. It's a diabolical hole- if you are over you have to pitch way back up to a hole that roles to the front and down into a sink hole. Killer.
I always try to go a little short, then get up and down from close to the front of the green.
On this day, I stuck a 3 iron onto the green. What was cool about it was that my partners were all hitting hybrids...which I don't even own. They make fun of me because I play with cheap sticks and because I won't buy anything new. My response is that, besides being cheap- my clubs are not the problem in my game.

355 par four in SC (Litchfield), dog leg right.
Hit a three wood to the far end of the dog leg, then from 150 I put the ball six feet past the pin and holed the putt for a birdie.

RollyInRaleigh
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
#1 - Pinehurst, TPC at Sawgrass, Savannah Harbour,

#2 TPC at Sawgrass back tees, Queenstown Harbour, MD, Savannah Harbour, Savannah GA, Springhouse Links, Nashville TN

#3 - Savannah Country Club- great little course and was treated impeccably, Ballantyne Resort Course, Charlotte NC

HumnHilghtFreel
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Man, I am a horrible golfer, but I love to get out every once in a while with my brothers.

1. What is the most prestigious course you've played on, both public and private? Probably Safari, up by the Columbus Zoo, lol

Maybe Blacklick Woods
I once holed a chip shot from the rough about 50 feet away from the green. Either that or nailing the guy who drives the ball-picker-upper truck on the driving range a few times:D

Chip R
07-31-2006, 12:09 PM

I haven't played a lot of "prestigious courses" in my time but if I had to say one, I guess it would have to be either the Sands or the Dunes hotel course in Vegas.

Again, not a lot of experience with private courses but I would have to say the toughest course I played on was Byrnes Park in Waterloo, IA because the rough was so high and I kept hitting the ball into it.

I have 2 of them. First one was, I guess sometime back in the mid-80s at the country club I used to live by and played quite often. It's a par 35, nothing special but one time I shot a 38 there. That's quite a feat for me since, at best, I was and am a bogey golfer. I must have been in some kind of zone that day.

The other one was at a muni in Oskaloosa, IA. My grandparents live there and played there quite a bit and after I stopped playing the country club I played at the muni most of the time. Par 4, toughest hole on the course. Elevated tee and green. I hit my drive right in the middle of the fairway right at the bottom of the hill. Perfect position. I can't remember what I hit next, probably a 6 or a 5 iron but I hit it right at the flag and saw it hit the green but lost it after that. I assumed I went over the green and started looking for my ball. I looked all around and couldn't find the darn thing. I walked back on the green and wondered if it might have gone in the hole. So I walked over and found my ball at the bottom of the cup for an eagle. :beerme:

dabvu2498
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM

1. Private: NCR Country Club in Dayton Public: TPC @ Sawgrass and Harbor Town (Hilton Head)

2. Private: NCR Public: Sawgrass and Shaker Run GC (Lebanon, OH) Hueston Woods State Park (near Oxford, OH), always eats my lunch!

3. Private: Country Club of Hilton Head Island, Vinoy Club (St. Pete FL) Public: Shaker Run and Hilton Head National

RFS62
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM

Pinehurst #2

Pinehurst #2, #7, and #8 are world class in every respect.

Bethpage Black may have been the toughest, though. TPS Sawgrass on a windy day is pretty tough.

I've played a lot of golf, so that's almost like saying what's your favorite baseball game experience. I'd have to say anytime I'm with my son and best friend on the course, it doesn't get any better for me, no matter where we are.

SunDeck
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
So I walked over and found my ball at the bottom of the cup for an eagle. :beerme:

There's no way I would have looked in the hole. Too much fear of the raking I'd get from my golf buds if the ball weren't in there.

MWM
07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
1 - TPC at Sawgrass
2 - Troy Burne Golf CLub in Wisconsin by far
3 - I got to play in a Champions tour Pro-Am last year. It was a blast and the best golfing experience I've ever had. The pro I played with shot a 67. It was fun to watch. And he was a great guy and talked to me the entire round.

rdiersin
07-31-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't think that I have played many presitgous courses, but as far as rank in golf mag and such or my guesses on that, I would probably go

1. Traditions
2. Kampen Golf Course - Purdue University
3. Warren Golf Course - University of Notre Dame. Just playing the course. I love it. As a whole anytime I play in the evening is my best experience. I love that feeling as the trees shade the fairways and tees. Especially on this course.

I don't know what I am going to do next year, when I actually have to pay full price for golf. ;)

SunDeck
07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know what I am going to do next year, when I actually have to pay full price for golf. ;)

Daylight savings has helped...I can get in 18 paying the twilight rate here in Bloomington.

rdiersin
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Daylight savings has helped...I can get in 18 paying the twilight rate here in Bloomington.

I was really looking forward to daylight savings time this year, but haven't been able to take much advantage of it. It actually hasn't made a difference at Warren because they had a twilight rate in the past that started at 3 and now it starts at 4, so no difference.

I plan on making up on some of that this week. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been too terribly cooperative lately. But, what's a little heat, right? :)

Chip R
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
There's no way I would have looked in the hole. Too much fear of the raking I'd get from my golf buds if the ball weren't in there.

:laugh: I was by myself so I risked no embarrasment. A few years later I was playing with some friends on a really short course and this one hole was about 90 yards long and one of the guys in my group hit his tee shot on the green and we didn't see it after that and everone else was looking around the green and I strolled over to the cup and there it was.

BuckWoody
07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm not even good enough to consider myself a bad golfer so #1 and #2 are kind of lost on me...never played anything other than muni and public courses.

#3. I once holed a pitching wedge from about 90 yards out with two buddies watching...I still have the ball. ;)

Another was on a course where the 9th and 18th tees were right next to each other. A group had finished teeing off on 9 when I stepped up to 18. I motioned that they could go ahead, just so I could hit in relative private. The one guy says kiddingly, "No thanks, I wanna see how you hit." Yikes. I stepped up, the gods smiled upon me, and I hit my best drive of the day...long and straight. I turned to the guy and said, "Been pretty much like that all day long." :D

Hoosier Red
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Most prestigious course: Ah Cant really say anything prestigious.

Hardest Course: Probably Crooked Tree in Mason.

Best Experience:I'm a very, very, inconsistent player so this one was my favorite. I'm playing with a group of friends and closing in on my first time breaking 100.
The 17th hole is a short par three maybe 110 yards, with a creek running across halfway to the hole. Basically it shouldn't even be in play.
I ground my tee shot 45 yards away. "Decided to lay up," I said to my partners. After suffering the indignity of having to get off the cart and climb over the chains they use to keep carts on the paths, I stick my second shot to within a foot and par the hole. All three of the guys in my group three putt and I win the hole.

justincredible
08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
A couple simple, quick and dirty questions for the golfing faithful of Redszone.

Public would be Eaglesticks in Zanesville. Longaberger Golf Course is 2 miles away from my old house (mom still lives there) so one of these days I will play there. It's too dang expensive.

I've only played on private course, Four Bridges. My girlfriends family are members there.

See my answers to number 1.

My best experience would be golfing with my grandpa when I was a lot younger. We would always go to a par 3 course during the summer.

Number two would be from just 2 days ago when I was about 6 inches from a hole in one. I made the birdie putt at least.

westofyou
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM

When I was a kid Pedro and I used to sled on Oakland Hills CC hills in the winter.

That's my golf course experience.

jmcclain19
08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Most prestigious course I've played - TPC at Scottsdale - where the FBR Phoenix Open is played every year. Not an extremely difficult course, actually was disappointing in some ways. I played it during the summer, and most of the course was under construction, so that had to be navigated. And normally, on other really hard courses where you are off in the desert if you go far off the fairway, the TPC has huge, grassy bumps everywhere for fans to sit on, and golfing off those is cake compared to desert.

The Toughest - Dinosaur Mountain at Gold Canyon. That course is a sponge bath with steel wool after going thru a meat grinder. I can't remember getting my tail whipped so long on so many holes. I've played on other courses where there have been PGA events like the TPC, Grayhawk & Superstition Mountain, and none came close.

The best - going on a tiny muni in West Virginia with my brother, my dad, my uncle and my grandfather not long before my wedding. To have the five of us out there enjoying it, considering I never get to golf with any of them, was a memory I won't soon forget.