PDA

View Full Version : Castinelli PAY UP

Carin4Narron
07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
You said at your January presser if the Reds were in the race at the trade deadline, you will take on more money.

The Washington trade saved you money!

Well Loshe and Cormier don't cut it. Other than Bailey, the prospects can be replaced.

Make a splash, why don't you!

Brutus
07-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Taking on money sometimes requires also giving up the organization's future. You say you don't want to give up Bailey but maybe teams are asking for Bailey?

You can't always have it both ways. I really do get the feeling the team is trying, but there's a limit to what they can do without mortgaging the few top prospects they have.

Tommyjohn25
07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
You said at your January presser if the Reds were in the race at the trade deadline, you will take on more money.

The Washington trade saved you money!

Well Loshe and Cormier don't cut it. Other than Bailey, the prospects can be replaced.

Make a splash, why don't you!

You can't just spend money and land a Zito/Willis/Schmidt kind of pitcher, you have to have the chips to trade with. Unless the Reds are willing to give up a Bailey/Votto/Encarnacion type of player PACKAGE, we won't have a shot. This has nothing to do with Cast, the Reds just don't have the right cards to play for Cast to even have the opportunity to pay up.

CincyReds2003
07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
You can't just spend money and land a Zito/Willis/Schmidt kind of pitcher, you have to have the chips to trade with. Unless the Reds are willing to give up a Bailey/Votto/Encarnacion type of player PACKAGE, we won't have a shot. This has nothing to do with Cast, the Reds just don't have the right cards to play for Cast to even have the opportunity to pay up.

Exactly, it's not like these guys are free agents. I believe that this team would have been active in the FA market, if the ownership purchase was approved earlier by MLB. I do think that after the season, the Reds will be active in the FA market.

Carin4Narron
07-31-2006, 11:13 AM
That's fine, if you are happy, just making the playoffs. But St.Louis just did ''minor' deals so far in the Cleveland 2nd baseman and Jeff Weaver.

Why not send St.Louis and the Mets a message the Reds are in it to win the NL and not just be happy making the playoffs. Even if you give up a Votto or a Encarnacion?

Tommyjohn25
07-31-2006, 11:21 AM
That's fine, if you are happy, just making the playoffs. But St.Louis just did ''minor' deals so far in the Cleveland 2nd baseman and Jeff Weaver.

Why not send St.Louis and the Mets a message the Reds are in it to win the NL and not just be happy making the playoffs. Even if you give up a Votto or a Encarnacion?

I don't recall ever saying that I'm happy just making the playoffs....wait...I just checked, nope, never said that.

And personally? I don't necessarily have a problem with moving our top prospects for a top of the line pitcher, question is, do the Reds HAVE enough "top" prospects to beat out other larger market teams?

BTW, trading prospects has nothing to do with Castellini either, as your thread title suggests.

HBP
07-31-2006, 11:24 AM

Are you kidding? Yes making the playoffs would make me happy. You do know it's been a decade right?

Bob Castellini has been more than we could ask for as an owner.

Unassisted
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
It takes two to trade. If there are no takers for what the Reds have to trade, no amount of Castellini cash will get a deal done.

Trades for cash are one of those rare areas where Bud Selig has demonstrated he has a spine by setting limits. We should be glad this is the case, otherwise the Yankees would be able to trade armored trucks full of cash for whoever they fancied.

cincrazy
07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Castellini and Krivsky have turned this from a 70 win team into a potentially 90 win team OVER NIGHT, something I didn't think was possible. Enough said.