PDA

View Full Version : 2 Trades down, anymore coming???

kaldaniels
07-31-2006, 11:13 AM
If I was a betting man, I'd say no because Krivsky won't be able to find a deal worth making. What do you guys think.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
I would like to see him get the no longer needed Izturis(with the acquisition of betemit) from the Dodgers. At least he would actually bring solid defense at SS.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
I hope he's able to acquire a starter. If he's willing to move Zach Ward, then he'll probably be willing to add another prospect that we won't like him to trade (not Bailey or Bruce). Additionally, we now have a couple bullpen arms that we could move and bullpen arms are in high demand.

Tommyjohn25
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I still think we get a right handed bat, preferrably a SS.

kaldaniels
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I would like to see him get the no longer needed Izturis(with the acquisition of betemit) from the Dodgers. At least he would actually bring solid defense at SS.

I find it interesting in this week's SI that we were listed as one of the suitors for Izturis.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 11:17 AM
I think find it interesting in this week's SI that we were listed as one of the suitors for Izturis.

Dodgers are coming to Cincinnati, may already be there. Would be an easy guy to get in uniform, moving from one dugout to the other. I would love to see Izturis as a Red.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
I think find it interesting in this week's SI that we were listed as one of the suitors for Izturis.I really think Clayton, and his lack of defense and offense, will slowly drag this team down if the problem is not addressed. They still might hang on to a playoff spot with him at SS mainly due to the ineptitude of the chasing teams but SS is an obvious hole.

BTW, if the DBacks go out and acquire a solid starter(they have the resources) I think they would become the wild card favorite.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Dodgers are coming to Cincinnati, may already be there. Would be an easy guy to get in uniform, moving from one dugout to the other. I would love to see Izturis as a Red.The other possibility is Jack Wilson and his salary.

The only problem with acquiring these guys is Narron might actually be inclined to bat them up in the order.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
If it was me I would do two more things

1) acquire a good defensive SS.
2) acquire Matt Stairs (a LH power bat) for the bench and PH role.

That would go a long way to solidy some of the problems.

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 11:25 AM
LaRue is still here (as far as we know), I wonder if LA would do that for Iz

edabbs44
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
If I was a betting man, I'd say no because Krivsky won't be able to find a deal worth making. What do you guys think.
With some of the deals Wayne is making, I bet he has people lined up to talk to him.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
LaRue is still here (as far as we know), I wonder if LA would do that for Izmaybe.

I could forsee a Larue/prospect(AA pitcher) for Izturis. The Reds would probably have to kick in some money as well.

It WK doesn't acquire a quality defensive SS he has failed to do his job.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
LaRue is still here (as far as we know), I wonder if LA would do that for Iz

They have Russ Martin who has beaten the crap out of the ball as their starter and the overpaid Toby Hall as their backup. I doubt they have interest in LaRue, unless we got Hall back from them in return, and there's no point in that, IMO.

RedsManRick
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
I think Krivsky still has a couple of big deals in the air depending on what else does or doesn't go down. I wouldn't be surprised to see us do something moderately sized like moving Claussen and LaRue.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:31 AM
They have Russ Martin who has beaten the crap out of the ball as their starter and the overpaid Toby Hall as their backup. I doubt they have interest in LaRue, unless we got Hall back from them in return, and there's no point in that, IMO.Hall has already said he wants out because he has no intention of being a backup. Money is not really an issue for the Dodgers and Larue has always been a superior player to Hall. I am sure they could move Hall if they wanted to. Larue would be a nice insurance policy for a team like the Dodgers and he kills an opponents running game.

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Iz makes $3.2M, LaRue makes $3.9M

We need to trade Clayton also. Clayton makes $1M.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
We need to trade Clayton also. Clayton makes $1M.For Clayton/Castro, there would be no takers. $1M is chump change in this day.

wheels
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
My only hope is that he's stockpiling bullpen arms with the intent to add them to deals.

Not bloody likely, but still an interesting thought.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
My only hope is that he's stockpiling bullpen arms with the intent to add them to deals.

Not bloody likely, but still an interesting thought.Reds still need a SS and a LH bat off the bench. That was so apparent yesterday in the 9th. Sure would have been nice to send up a Matt Stairs.

BRM
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
For Clayton/Castro, there would be no takers. $1M is chump change in this day.

Release Clayton, retain Castro as the backup infielder?

reds44
07-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Adding a SS would be very nice. We could use a lefty off the bench, but that would be secondary behind a solid SS.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Adding a good shortstop would be great. I still think Aurillia may be traded, which opens the door for Encarnacion full time. I think moving Larue would be a good move as well. Could be a real interesting day. I hope Krivsky isn't done.

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Another possibility; Claussen traded?

What could Claussen and LaRue and Clayton bring in a starter?

On a side note, I've read somewhere that Kip Wells is available.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
I could see Claussen being moved. Wayne has got some leverage now with maybe moving 1 reliever.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 11:51 AM
On a side note, I've read somewhere that Kip Wells is available.

The Mets have reportedly discussed a deal where they would receive Roberto Hernandez and Kip Wells from the Pirates.

In exchange for Hernandez and Wells the Mets would give up Heath Bell, Anderson Hernandez and Double-A reliever Matt Lindstrom. Hernandez would immediately give the Mets' bullpen a boost while Wells would give the rotation insurance in case aging-starters Pedro Martinez or Tom Glavine need to spend time on the disabled list in the final months of the season.

MartyFan
07-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Special K haas shown that he is not to make a splash...I would not be surprised to see anyone on the Reds traded anywhere to address a need.

reds44
07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
I could see Claussen being moved. Wayne has got some leverage now with maybe moving 1 reliever.
I don't think you can trade players on the DL.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM

Yes, you can. It's just that most people don't.

Cedric
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM

You actually can. PTBNL is what you would use.

wheels
07-31-2006, 12:03 PM
I really can't see them bringing in a SS.

They're putting the eggs in the Castro/Clayton basket until next season.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Wasn't there just a big discussion about that recently? May be wrong but I think the answer is "yes, you can."

reds44
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
I really can't see them bringing in a SS.

They're putting the eggs in the Castro/Clayton basket until next season.
I just threw up in my mouth.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
I just threw up in my mouth.

How's that taste?

reds44
07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
How's that taste?
About as bad as Royce Clayton being the Reds starting SS.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I could really see a contender, the Dbacks, trading Young and another decent prospect to the Giants for Schmidt.

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
The other possibility is Jack Wilson and his salary.

The only problem with acquiring these guys is Narron might actually be inclined to bat them up in the order.

From the AP:

'Wilson's salary for the coming season will remain $4.6 million, but he will receive a $600,000 signing bonus. He will earn $5.25 million in 2007, $6.5 million in 2008 and $7.25 million in 2009.

If the team option for the fourth season is exercised, Wilson will earn $8.4 million. He will receive a $600,000 buyout if the team does not exercise its option. He also is eligible for up to $300,000 in performance bonuses."

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 12:22 PM

From ESPN:
"Izuris has yet to play a game this season after undergoing season-ending Tommy John surgery in September to repair degenerative arthritis in his right elbow"

Concerned?

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
About as bad as Royce Clayton being the Reds starting SS.

:laugh: I don't like that taste either.