PDA

View Full Version : who gets sent down?

princeton
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm perplexed

even assuming that Mercker's done-- which I don't know to be true-- and that Lohse stays in his only good role, then the Reds have four bullpen lefties (Shack, EdG, Cormier, Bray) and five bullpen righties (Coffey, Majewski, Lohse, Standridge, Weathers). Which is at least two too many

drop Shack? in his last five appearances, he's faced five batters and gotten all five out-- three on K's. I imagine that he goes, but--

drop Majewski? I don't know that he has options-- it depends on what year that he first went on a 40 man. I'm guessing that he has one. Maybe they let him get some low pressure time to clear out his head?

drop Standridge? I think that he IS out of options and would not clear waivers

trade EdG? seems unlikely given our contending status, but it is interesting.

start Lohse? the horror.

make somebody else into a starter? You don't experiment in a pennant race, so Bray seems out. Majewski strikes me as a starter, but same deal. Standridge has started, but see Lohse.

cut Weathers? youneverknow with David Weathers

drop Coffey? Might be. He looks nervous.

thoughts?

Cedric
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
The only thing I can think of is that Lohse is being brought in to start. I guess we will find out at 4:30.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Weathers shipped out also.

BRM
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Shack and Standridge would be my guesses on who goes.

deltachi8
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
just a FWIW - listening to a yankee game last week and their announcer (John Sterling) mentioned getting a bullpen arm to help out - and specifically mentioned David weathers. Of course it was most likely just throwing a name out there, but who knows.

Of course coffey could go to texas in that Kinsler trade, right...right?

MartyFan
I was wondering about this too and thought that perhaps some of the BP surplus we have now could be used in a deal for a starting P or a SS? I am scratching my head on this.

TheBigLebowski
Standridge has pitched too well lately to be moved.

Looks like Shack has settled comfortably into his role as resident LOOGY, and it also appears Narron has discovered the benefits of using a LOOGY.

We all know Weathers isn't going anywhere, and he has no trade value.

I think something else is about to come down the pipes. We'll see.

danforsman
Long Relief: Standridge

Setup A: Bray, Coffey
Setup B: Weathers, Lohse, Majewksi
LOOGY: Cormier, Shackelford

To me, the odd man out is Standridge, with Lohse filling his role. However, I like the way this sets up, even WITH Standridge. Seems like another deal must be in the works for a #4/#5 starter, though...

princeton
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Shack and Standridge would be my guesses on who goes.

if Standridge goes, then it's probably in a trade today

Danny Serafini
07-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I would guess, at least with the roster as of now, that Lohse will be the 5th starter and Shackelford goes back to Louisville.

15fan
07-31-2006, 01:34 PM
4 starters and a 9 man bullpen.

i like the idea of trying that for 4 weeks until the rosters expand 9/1.

only 2 problems: 3 catchers, and 1 off day in august.

heck, the reds should go that route for the 7 games in 11 days against the cards in the middle of the month. it would be a fascinating sociological experiment to see how Tony LaGenius starts acting if the Reds are bringing in a new relief pitcher ever inning or two for an entire game. How quickly would he burn through his bench?

captainmorgan07
07-31-2006, 01:36 PM
these are the problems u'd like to have all good options excluding (weathers)

CougarQuest
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I would guess, at least with the roster as of now, that Lohse will be the 5th starter and Shackelford goes back to Louisville.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060731&content_id=1585382&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060731&content_id=1585413&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

princeton
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
it would be a fascinating sociological experiment to see how Tony LaGenius starts acting if the Reds are bringing in a new relief pitcher ever inning or two for an entire game.

:thumbup:

deltachi8
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
it would be a fascinating sociological experiment to see how Tony LaGenius starts acting if the Reds are bringing in a new relief pitcher ever inning or two for an entire game. How quickly would he burn through his bench?

Wasn't Tony the guy who came up with the idea to essentailly use only a bullpen, limiting the starter to 3 innings and rotating the pitchers through?

princeton
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Standridge has pitched too well lately to be moved.

Looks like Shack has settled comfortably into his role as resident LOOGY, and it also appears Narron has discovered the benefits of using a LOOGY.

in limited action, Standridge has been very tough on righties

reds44
07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't know if I would send Shack down.

Lefties can't touch him. The slider is amazing against LH.

CTA513
07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Lohse will be in the minors for about 3 weeks according to Marcs Blog.
I would copy and past the article, but his blog isnt showing up for me right now.

*edit* I read the post by Marc wrong, he was saying Lohse was demoted earlier in the year.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Why?

reds44
07-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I would copy and past the article, but his blog isnt showing up for me right now.
What?

Why?

princeton
07-31-2006, 03:33 PM

really? a 2 month rental is really only a 1 month rental?

well, half of a turd does only smell half as bad

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I find that very hard to believe.

CTA513
07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
*edit* I read the post by Marc wrong, he was saying Lohse was demoted earlier in the year.

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
What?

Why?
Cause he isn't that good? :D

princeton
07-31-2006, 05:12 PM
I remain perplexed. Two have to go, as does a third if Claussen is recalled. I see Coffey and Shack as having options, with Majewski possibly having an option as well. If Majewski doesn't have an option, then Weathers gets DFA'd.

Louisville will have a good bullpen.

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
You have:

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Ramirez
Claussen
Guardado
Coffey
Bray
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Lohse
Weathers
Standridge
Shackelford
Merker
Belisle

17 pitchers. How long is Merker out? How about Matt Belisle?

Crash Davis
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
You have:

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Ramirez
Claussen
Guardado
Coffey
Bray
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Lohse
Weathers
Standridge
Shackelford
Merker
Belisle

I'd like to have 2 Bill Bray's

Ltlabner
07-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Weathers should have his bag packed, IMO.

Merker might be serriously considering hanging it up.

I'd love to see Clayton sent packing for a 3rd spot if needed.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd love to see Clayton sent packing for a 3rd spot if needed.Clayton is the everyday SS until it gets to the point of not mattering. Reds fans are going to have to live with it

Highlifeman21
07-31-2006, 08:05 PM
thoughts?

Narron unfortunately doesn't count towards the 25 man roster, or else I'd say send him down....

Realistically, it's gonna be 1 of either Shackelford or Standridge.

That is unless Krivsky breaks out his magic wand again, puts LaRue on waivers and that opens up a roster spot.

One can only hope....

princeton
07-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Realistically, it's gonna be 1 of either Shackelford or Standridge.

I think that it has to be 2-3, not one

princeton
07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
You have:

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Ramirez
Claussen
Guardado
Coffey
Bray
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Lohse
Weathers
Standridge
Shackelford
Merker
Belisle

I think that Wayne was left holding the bag

maybe you can have too much pitching. Too many, at least

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I'd like to have 2 Bill Bray's

:laugh: Me too!:help:

reds44
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
You have:

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Ramirez
Claussen
Guardado
Coffey
Bray
Majewski
Bray
Cormier
Lohse
Weathers
Standridge
Shackelford
Merker
Belisle

With everyone healthy I would like to see a:

Harang
Arroyo
Milton
Ramirez
Guardado
Coffey
Bray
Majewski
Cormier
Lohse
Shackelford
Belisle

Starting Rotation:
Harang
Arroyo
Ramirez
Milton
Belisle

Long relief:
Loshe

LOOGY:
Shack

Middle relievers:
Majewski
Bray
Coffey
Cormier

Closer:
Guardado

The hardest choice was Shack or Merck. Lefties only have 4 hits in 9.1 IP against Shack, and those stats are only getting better. Belisle or Loshe as a starter was also a difficult choice, but since Loshe is doing so much better out of the pen I put Belisle in the rotation.

However I am not banking on Merck or Belisle anymore because they can't stay healthy.

redsfan4445
08-01-2006, 12:08 AM
with the 2 new pitchers that makes 14, and only 13 position players.. so two have to go and i think shack and Stanridge are likely sent down but i noticed Weathers has 24 walks to 25 strikeout..i think he is realeased as the Reds need another outfielder and since Watson was sent down, he cant come back for 10- days.. i see another outfielder pick-up!! and the way clausen pitched tonight wich was awful, i see Lohse getting the start on saturday!

Highlifeman21
08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I think that it has to be 2-3, not one

I believe you're right, so maybe they both go, Shackelford and Standridge...

If not, definitely one of them and probably a position player, like Watson.

princeton
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
I believe you're right, so maybe they both go, Shackelford and Standridge....

DanO and JimBo would have demoted the guys with options (Shack, Coffey, Majik if he has one). They're hoarders.

Krivsky's not a hoarder. He DFA's guys. Weathers might be gone. Coffey probably needs a break but not because he has options. Standridge will be interesting but since he could have been dealt yesterday, then I assume that he's safe.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I expect that today Shack will be the odd man out. I just can't seem them chucking Weathers.

Danny Serafini
08-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Shackelford makes the most sense.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
It's Shack. Someone on Live just posted it from Marc's blog.

princeton
08-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Shackelford makes the most sense.
Shack gets lefties out. Cormier, apparently, gets out righties.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Shack gets lefties out. Cormier, apparently, gets out righties.over the 2003-2005 period Cormier was considerably more effective against LH batters than RH batters. However, I would not categorize him as a LOOGY although since the beginning of 2005 he has had a very light workload.

princeton
08-01-2006, 03:30 PM
over the 2003-2005 period Cormier was considerably more effective against LH batters than RH batters. However, I would not categorize him as a LOOGY although since the beginning of 2005 he has had a very light workload.

you need to show your numbers to the lefties that are hitting the guy

me, I see Shackelford striking out lefties and I'm thinking, hmm. Somebody needs to tell those lefties that Shack can't be striking thim out.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
you need to show your numbers to the lefties that are hitting the guythe point is that Cormier does have a track record of getting both lefties and righties out where Shack's track record suggests he is a LOOGY.

If I needed a LHP to get one batter out I would take Shack but Naroon will not have the luxury.

puca
08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think Narron looks too deep into the numbers anyhow.

He's a gut feeling guy and his gut would probably always tell him to use the veteran Cormier to get a lefty out no matter what the numbers say.

princeton
08-01-2006, 03:47 PM
the point is that Cormier does have a track record of getting both lefties and righties out where Shack's track record suggests he is a LOOGY.

If I needed a LHP to get one batter out I would take Shack but Naroon will not have the luxury.

the point is if the Reds must have 12 pitchers, then they at least ought to be able to fit in a guy that can K a LHBer. The $3mill purchase of Cormier struck me as odd. We'll get Shack back in 30 days, but why lose him?

flyer85
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
the point is if the Reds must have 12 pitchers, then they at least ought to be able to fit in a guy that can K a LHBer. The $3mill purchase of Cormier struck me as odd. We'll get Shack back in 30 days, but why lose him?I would have DFAed Weathers, go talk to Wayne.

Eric_Davis
08-01-2006, 05:02 PM
No official word, yet?

BRM
08-01-2006, 05:04 PM
No official word, yet?

Shackelford got sent down.