PDA

View Full Version : Astros to trade Lidge..?

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
The Houston Chronicle's Richard Justice reports that Astros owner Drayton McLane has ordered GM Tim Purpura to trade Brad Lidge.

The Rangers are the team getting mentioned in connection with Lidge, but if he has to go, there will be more interested parties, starting with the Mets and Red Sox. The Astros could turn over closing duties to Dan Wheeler if they move Lidge.

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
The Rangers offered Hank Blaylock, and the Astros turned them down (wisely).

I don't think the Reds have enough ammo to get him, even though they really should try.

M2
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
The Rangers offered Hank Blaylock, and the Astros turned them down (wisely).

Blalock for Lidge?

Man, if I'm Purpura I do that trade every day of the week. That's a living, breathing baseball player in return for a guy in need of a stay at Bellevue.

Unassisted
07-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Tough to establish a value for Lidge with his recent performance. The buyer would definitely be buying low.

Joseph
07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Wagner [Billy, former 'stros closer] has lobbied Minaya to trade for Lidge so Wagner can 'fix him.'

Thats the word on the street [read internet].

Puffy
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Lidge in Boston setting up for Papelbohn would be killer (provided Lidge setting up and having no closer "skips and blips" fixes him). Although Boston is a tough market.......

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Lidge in Boston setting up for Papelbohn would be killer (provided Lidge setting up and having no closer "skips and blips" fixes him). Although Boston is a tough market.......

Well the dominos could fall fast. I think one of the players the A's wanted in return for Zito was Duaner Sanchez. If the Mets deal Sanchez, along with Milledge for Zito, and then deal a couple more prospects to HOU for Lidge, that'd be pretty nasty too.

ochre
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Wagner [Billy, former 'stros closer] has lobbied Minaya to trade for Lidge so Wagner can 'fix him.'

Thats the word on the street [read internet].
sounds like he must be tipping his pitches to the backstop.

MrCinatit
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
If the 'Stros are putting both Lidge and Oswalt on the block, are they throwing in the towel? I know they have some good pitching and historically bad hitting - but wow. Seeing that Clemmons and Pettit will be gone at the end of the year (i think), wouldn't this gut their staff for the future?

flyer85
07-31-2006, 01:01 PM
If Houston cannot acquire a big bat I would say they have little choice but to throw in the towel.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 01:03 PM
After reading several different sites, it appears that the Astros never really put Oswalt on the block. They threw his name out there to guage interest (he will be a F.A. after next year) and see what they could get back in return for him this year, but according to most people, we're considering letting him go unless they were generally bowled over with an offer. I doubt they entertain trading him today.

Joseph
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
If I was running the Houston franchise I would sell Clemens, Pettitte, Lidge, Ausmus, and anyone not under 30 I could and completely retool that franchise.

Clemens back to Boston for a young starter.

Pettitte back to NY for Cabrera and an arm

Lidge to the Mets for Heilman or something similar or to the Rangers for Blaylock.

Prospects coming in each of those deals as well and they could be sitting pretty for a couple years to come.

M2
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
If Houston cannot acquire a big bat I would say they have little choice but to throw in the towel.

Amazing that Adam Everett can't fetch you a stud hitter, huh? I'm sure they'd add Wandy Rodriguez and Jason Lane if someone insisted.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I think Clemens would likely reject any and all trades, wouldn't he? I thought he only wanted to pitch in HOU.

Besides...before we bury these guys, recall that they do have a history of rising from the dead.

reds44
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Send Rich over to them for Lidge...

:evil:

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
MLB TRADE UPDATE FROM BUSTER OLNEY
The Astros have told teams in the last half-hour that they are not trading Brad Lidge.

M2
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
The Astros have told teams in the last half-hour that they are not trading Brad Lidge.

Everyone hum your favorite Suicidal Tendencies tune.

Chip R
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM

Good. We still have to play them a few more times.

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Blalock for Lidge?

Man, if I'm Purpura I do that trade every day of the week. That's a living, breathing baseball player in return for a guy in need of a stay at Bellevue.

Hank Blalock, the guy slugging .418 this year? The guy with a .707 road OPS over the last three seasons?

Yikes.

M2
07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Hank Blalock, the guy slugging .418 this year? The guy with a .707 road OPS over the last three seasons?

Yikes.

And I'd take him in a heartbeat over Lidge, who's got a giant fork sticking out of him.