PDA

View Full Version : Buster Olney loves Wayne Krivsky

Danny Serafini
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
He just called Wayne potentially the biggest winner of the day for reshaping the Reds bullpen on ESPN Radio. Just found that interesting.

edabbs44
07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
He just called Wayne potentially the biggest winner of the day for reshaping the Reds bullpen on ESPN Radio. Just found that interesting.
I find it interesting that he had to reshape the bullpen twice.:)

flyer85
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Wayne will either end up looking like a genius or an idiot depending on whether or not the Reds make the playoffs.

I doubt he is finished.

redsfan30
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Krivsky has taken this bullpen from worse than a pile of turds to pretty respectable.

Good work, Wayne!

Simms11
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
I find it interesting that he had to reshape the bullpen twice.:)
:laugh:

11larkin11
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
I HOPE he isnt finished. Trade Deadline Day is my second favorite Off-the-Field Day of the year. Second to the NFL Draft.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Krivsky has taken this bullpen from worse than a pile of turds to pretty respectable.
that remains to be seen. We'll all get to find out.

DoogMinAmo
07-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Does anyone else get the impression Busta with this and previous comments is trying to formulate a good relationship with WayneO for possible future inside info? Basically, Olney is brown-nosing his tail off.

keeganbrick
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
that remains to be seen. We'll all get to find out.
With Bray and Coffey as set up men and Guardado as a closer I would say its respectable by now.

dougdirt
07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
We got a good deal today and we got absolutely hosed in another one today. Not sure how that makes you the winner of the day.

redsfan30
07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
We got a good deal today and we got absolutely hosed in another one today. Not sure how that makes you the winner of the day.
If Lohse is indeed in the bullpen, that deal doesn't look quite as bad. Lohse has been very good in the bullpen.

If he starts, you're exactly right that we got hosed in that one.

smith288
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
technically, Lohse has been a very solid reliever.

osuceltic
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Does anyone else get the impression Busta with this and previous comments is trying to formulate a good relationship with WayneO for possible future inside info? Basically, Olney is brown-nosing his tail off.
Maybe ... just maybe ... he actually believes the bullpen is important, that Krivsky did a good job turning it from a gaping, oozing sore into an actual strength, and that this team now is more solid 1-25 than any other wild card contender in the NL.

People, the Reds are LEADING the wild card race. This isn't a desperation Kazmir-for-Zambrano situation. The object of the game is to make the playoffs and see if you can win a World Series. That's the whole point. We're going for it. In most cities, that would be considered a good thing. I thought, after the miserable morass this franchise has been in, that it would be seen as a good thing in Cincinnati. I guess I gave some of the fans here too much credit.

MartyFan
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Wayne will either end up looking like a genius or an idiot depending on whether or not the Reds make the playoffs.

I doubt he is finished.

I couldn't disagree with you more about the playoffs being the bar for Krivsky looking like an idiot or genius.

Look back a few months and see where this team was...look back the the final out of last year....FF to spring training when the team was turned over to Mr. C and then he brought in Krivsky...this is a changed team and orgnization since ST.

The leaps and bounds they have made in that short time already indicate we are in the hand of a genius and his ability to continue to improve the team through the season has been another feather in his cap...is he batting .1000 nope but he is showing us everyday he outclasses the classless GM's of the past 15 years or so here in Cincy.

Benihana
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry I don't like dealing away great prospects for average to mediocre big leaguers, but come on people. We traded essentially our fourth best A-ball pitcher (who was 22 years old, btw) for more bullpen help. I don't have a problem with the deal myself, and I think that saying we got completely hosed is a complete overreaction.

reds44
07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
:beerme:

dougdirt
07-31-2006, 01:58 PM
4th best A-ball pitcher? Zach Ward was probably the 4th best pitcher in our system. Between Cueto, Wood and Ward, I think they were all almost interchangable peices. The reason the other two would end up ranked higher is becuase they are a little younger. but the only reason Zach was stuck in Dayton was to raise his trade value, which in my opinion didnt work if all we could get was Lohse.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 01:59 PM
the point of all these moves of late have been to make the playoffs. These deals did nothing to position the Reds better in the long term. If the Reds don't make the playoffs it will have been all smoke and no fire.

reds44
07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
4th best A-ball pitcher? Zach Ward was probably the 4th best pitcher in our system. Between Cueto, Wood and Ward, I think they were all almost interchangable peices. The reason the other two would end up ranked higher is becuase they are a little younger. but the only reason Zach was stuck in Dayton was to raise his trade value, which in my opinion didnt work if all we could get was Lohse.
He's 22 and in Low A. If he is indeed the 4th best pitcher in our system, it goes to show how bad our system is.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
4th best A-ball pitcher? Zach Ward was probably the 4th best pitcher in our system. Between Cueto, Wood and Ward, you forgot Bailey and others.

From my perspective Ward was no better a prospect(and likely less of one) than Germano. Pitching as he has at 22 in Low A ball is not that impressive.

dougdirt
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I didnt forget Bailey and others.
1. Homer Bailey
2. Travis Wood
3. Johnny Cueto
4. Zach Ward.

As far as why he was 22 and in Dayton, I explained that already. There was no reason he was in Dayton other than the Reds wanted him to absolutely dominate, which he did, so they could raise his trade value, which they apparently didnt. The kid has a decent fastball that sits 89-92 and gets as high as 97 when he really lets one go, and a power slider that is REALLY good. He has good stuff, the reds just held him back to trade him. Simple as that.

realistic
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Maybe ... just maybe ... he actually believes the bullpen is important, that Krivsky did a good job turning it from a gaping, oozing sore into an actual strength, and that this team now is more solid 1-25 than any other wild card contender in the NL.

People, the Reds are LEADING the wild card race. This isn't a desperation Kazmir-for-Zambrano situation. The object of the game is to make the playoffs and see if you can win a World Series. That's the whole point. We're going for it. In most cities, that would be considered a good thing. I thought, after the miserable morass this franchise has been in, that it would be seen as a good thing in Cincinnati. I guess I gave some of the fans here too much credit.

Ive got to agree. The Reds have acquired 6 major league ready pitchers since March, thats some serious work and improvement.

Buckeye33
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
The bullpen is something that is valued more than almost anything in Minnesota. It has worked out pretty well there the last 5 years and Krivsky is going to use the same blueprint to try to get the Reds into the playoffs.

Sure, the Reds do not have a Nathan or a RIncon but they bullpen is by far better than it was a month ago.

If it is used correctly, the Reds could have one of the best bullpens in the NL. The only thing I wish we had was a shut down closer, but that isn't going to happen this season.

Guardado
Bray
Magic
Cormier
Lohse
Coffey
Standrige

I would think that the Lohse pickup means the end of David Weathers. We can only hope.

CrackerJack
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Time to trade Majewski for a bat now that they got Lohse and Cormier in here.

But like the infatuation that was with Mays for too long, I'm thinking Lohse is heading right back into Mays spot, and will probably be just as bad.

But I hope not - just sort of expect it from Krivsky/Narron at this point I suppose.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I would think that the Lohse pickup means the end of David Weathers. We can only hope.I just can't see them cutting bait on a scrappy veteran clubhouse guy like Weathers.

osuceltic
07-31-2006, 02:16 PM
But I hope not - just sort of expect it from Krivsky/Narron at this point I suppose.
Yeah, those two suck. I wish we still had Dan O'Brien and Bob Boone.