PDA

View Full Version : Tejada will not be traded; Astros steamed

realreds1
07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal... take it for what it's worth...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5833342

The Orioles will not trade shortstop Miguel Tejada, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Astros, Angels and Rangers all made substantial offers for Tejada, a major-league official says, but the Orioles were not motivated enough to make a deal.

The Orioles rejected at least one blockbuster trade Tejada for Astros right-hander Roy Oswalt, shortstop Adam Everett and a third player.

They also could have sent Tejada to the Angels for right-hander Ervin Santana and Triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar.

Either deal could have changed the direction of the Orioles' franchise, but owner Peter Angelos refused to approve any trade involving Tejada, a decision that is certain to be second-guessed.

The Astros, major-league sources say, are steamed that Angelos apparently quashed the original Oswalt-Tejada deal as well as several revised proposals.

But there may have been another issue.

The Astros, one major-league executive says, feared that the Orioles would flip Oswalt, their most prized acquisition for Tejada, to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers.

A National League executive says the Astros "knew all along" that the Orioles were trying to flip Oswalt. However, the executive says that the Orioles indiscreetly shopped all of the players that the Astros offered them to other clubs, calling it "no way to do business."

The protocol in such matters is unclear.

Other executives say that if the Astros knew the Orioles were pursuing other deals, they are in no position to be upset; teams frequently engage in such practices, and not all are upfront with their intentions.

The Orioles apparently intended to trade Oswalt to the Rangers for third baseman Hank Blalock, Triple-A shortstop Joaquin Arias and one of the Rangers' top three pitching prospects left-hander John Danks, right-hander Thomas Diamond or right-hander Edison Volquez.

They also would have ended up with two other players from the Astros Everett and possibly third baseman Morgan Ensberg effectively making the deal a 5-for-1 for Tejada.

Presumably, the Orioles then would have spun one of the third basemen, Blalock or Ensberg, or moved one of them to first, while moving their current third baseman, Melvin Mora, back to the outfield.

At one point Sunday, the Rangers appeared to be closing in on a trade for Phillies right-hander Jon Lieber, but were diverted by their pursuit of Oswalt.

For the Astros, losing Oswalt to the Rangers could have been a public-relations nightmare, evoking memories of when Nolan Ryan went from Houston to Texas. The Astros had similar concerns when Roger Clemens was courted by the Rangers as a free agent last spring.

However, a second NL executive says the Astros would have been less concerned about Oswalt going to the Rangers than their biggest NL Central rival, the Cardinals.

The Astros' inclusion of Oswalt in the Tejada discussions likely will shock the team's fans, but this probably will not be the last time Oswalt's name surfaces in trade discussions.

Oswalt, 28, is a free agent after the 2007 season. He is expected to seek a contract of at least five years. And his injury history and slight, 6-foot, 185-pound frame make him a long-term risk.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Trading with the Orioles is always problematic because their owner has been known to kill deals on a whim.

corkedbat
07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I'd have sent Bailey, Votto and others to the O's for Oswalt and tried to get a deal by the end of 07

StillFunkyB
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
If Angelos truly turned down that deal, then he needs to be run out of town.

I'm not joking. If I were an Oriole fan, and knew this to be 100 percent fact, I would be down in front of Camden Yards being arrested right now.

REDREAD
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
The O's were dumb for not making that trade, IMO.

And why should the Astros care what the O's do with the players after the trade is done? That's absurd and comes across as whiney.

Are they going to try to trade Oswalt, and then make the club that gets him promise not to make sure that Oswalt never goes to the Rangers or Cards? I mean, come on.

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Ahh the O's..the future Royals.

M2
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
The Orioles are idiots, that's nothing new.

That the Astros seemingly want to join the ranks of the despondent by dealing away Oswalt, that's the real revelation here.

Chip R
07-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Odd that the Astros would be concerned about BAL sending Oswalt to TEX. They only play them 6 times a year. I'd be more worried if they sent him to someone in the NL Central.

RedlegJake
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
The Orioles are what the Royals would have been under Baird if he had a payroll - a bad team with a big budget and an idiot running things

redsandrails
07-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Truly pathetic.... I mean they also could have acquired Burrell for Rodrigo Lopez and a good but not great prospect. Sad how they didn't even trade some useless free agents to be in Javy Lopez, Rodrigo Lopez, Conine, and Millar or even the overpaid Hawkins. They could have gotten enough talent to both build a bench and bullpen for next year and stock up the low minors with talent. I bet they could have snagged Shealy from the Rockies for Daniel Cabrera + minor leaguer if need be. Probably could have gotten some decent relief pitching from someone like Minnesota for Melvin Mora too. They have a bad history of late for messing up deadlines. Last year they only traded Bigbie for Brynes.. and they were still contenders.... likewise the players were mad by the lack of a move and also the team couldn't stand the test of time and they collapsed. They are very messed up though at this point. They could of had a team like this for next year:

Roberts 2B
Markakis RF
Burrell LF
Ensberg 3B
Gibbons DH
Shealy 1B
Hernandez C
Patterson CF
Everett SS

Oswalt
Bedard
Benson
Loewen
Penn

Ray
+small offseason acquisition/return for Mora/guys from other deals

I mean that might not be enough for them to get to the playoffs but its enough for them to hang in it.... get a couple deals at next deadline and at least come very close to the end barring injuries. Let alone a big offseason acquisition like a Soriano signing. That team would be pretty young as a whole and not so expensive they couldn't do it. The top of that rotation is good enough to keep in the race though.

A bunch of idiots for sure running that club into the ground. They literally are going to get no talent for any of these guys... almost as idiotic as Bowden keeping Soriano.

kaldaniels
08-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Why was Oswalt all of a sudden chopped liver to the Stros....they are going to lose Clemens and Pettitte soon.

MartyFan
08-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Why was Oswalt all of a sudden chopped liver to the Stros....they are going to lose Clemens and Pettitte soon.

I wouldn't say he was "chopped liver"...they need a bat BAD and Tejada is a good one.

That said, how stupid would it have been for them to trade a 20 game winner for Tejada?!?!!

Rojo
08-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Yeah the O's are stupid (alert the media) but what do the Astros care about what they do with Oswalt. If they're concerned about Baltimore getting more for him, then why don't they get more for him.

But if you think Tejada's your Moses, the do the damn deal and don't worry about it. To quote James Brown, "I got mine, don't worry about his."

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:02 AM
If the Astros don't want Oswalt perhaps we should make an offer ;)