PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Get Craig Wilson

redlegs2370
07-31-2006, 03:59 PM
For Shawn Chacon per ESPN News

Brian
07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I consider this great news since there was at least limited talk that the Reds were in the bidding for Wilson. Plus it makes PIT worse, didn't think that was possible.

Newman4
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Good deal for the Yanks IMO. I wonder if they would've done Claussen for Wilson?

Razor Shines
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
guess the yankees think you can't have too many bats.

redlegs2370
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I consider this great news since there was at least limited talk that the Reds were in the bidding for Wilson. Plus it makes PIT worse, didn't think that was possible.
I agree, now we don't have to wory about Craig Wilson haunting us as well as Perez and Hernandez. Now if they could have just traded Jason Bay we would have gotten rid of the Pirates Reds killers.

MaineRed
07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I found it interesting given all the talk that the Reds should have traded Kearns for (instert solid starting pitcher here) that all the Pirates could get for Wilson was Chacon. Kearns has Wilson beat in all the stats, this season, but not by much and he has a lot more ABs.

Wilson does have a higher career OPS.

If this deal is another example of, "the market", did the Reds really make out that bad in the Kearns deal? It can be argued that Kearns is the better player, but how much better? Yes he is younger but at some point, you are who you are. We know what Wilson is and I think we know what Kearns is and both seem pretty similar. Both can help you but neither is going to carry you.

In the interest of full disclosure, none of my comments have taken any salary or contract lenght into consideration. That obviously does have something to do in a players worth. But based solely on talent, I would say Majewski is a fine return for Kearns if the market states Chacon is all you can get for Wilson.

The question, which will take longer than this season to answer, is, do you trade Lopez for Bill Bray?

dougflynn23
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
:) I am a huge Craig Wilson fan. The Pirates were absolute idiots for signing Jeromy Burnitz and assuming Sean Casey's contract, thereby shoving Wilson to the bench who is more productive than either one of them and at less than 50% of the cost. He projects to 25 HR with a .375+ OBP over 500 AB's. I'd have loved to have gotten Wilson and platooned him with Hatteberg both this year and next. He will fit in perfectly on the Yankees who need a RH 1B/DH. Next year with Abreu, Matsui, Sheffield & Giambi he will be an extra piece, but he'll help them in 2006.

redsupport
07-31-2006, 09:57 PM
sean casey was overrated, non productive, but a "nice guy."