PDA

View Full Version : Scott Linebrink to Mets

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Minaya basically gives up Xavier Nady and Heath Bell and gets Scott Linebrink. :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Minaya basically gives up Xavier Nady and Heath Bell and gets Scott Linebrink and Roberto Hernandez. :laugh:

reds44
07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Oliver Perez and Heath Bell to Padres.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2006, 05:21 PM
To not vote for Minaya for GM of the Year would be heretical.

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Perez comes full circle

edabbs44
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Saw that...Oliver Perez and Heath Bell? Hmmm. Wayne's Washington deal looks worse by the day.

NJReds
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Good deal for the Mets. Especially with Sanchez on the shelf.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Saw that...Oliver Perez and Heath Bell? Hmmm. Wayne's Washington deal looks worse by the day.

No kidding. What a masterstroke. Minaya takes the Mets from bumbling to World Series-bound in 18 months.

NJReds
07-31-2006, 05:25 PM

Reports had the Pads turning down a Kearns for Linebrink deal. So I guess Kearns is worth less than O. Perez and Heath Bell.

Strange, considering Perez has been getting his brains beat in the last two years. But he is still young and had one good season.

REDREAD
07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow, that was genius. The Mets grabbed probably the best bullpen arm on the market.

westofyou
07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Reports had the Pads turning down a Kearns for Linebrink deal. So I guess Kearns is worth less than O. Perez and Heath Bell.

Strange, considering Perez has been getting his brains beat in the last two years. But he is still young and had one good season.
Part of the "worth" in the Reds deal was also controling 2 guys contracts. Linebrick is in his 6th season and already making 1.3 million, any folks who don't think that value is assigned to the pre arb yeras are missing a big part of why that deal was made. You can debate the player worth, it's a completly valid argument, but the controling of players in these pre arb years is key to alot o fthe small market teams deals.

MartyFan
07-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I still like the deal...Minya is playing with how much money in NY? Also his pitchers this year are old...this is the year THEY MUST WIN.

M2
07-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Part of the "worth" in the Reds deal was also controling 2 guys contracts. Linebrick is in his 6th season and already making 1.3 million, any folks who don't think that value is assigned to the pre arb yeras are missing a big part of why that deal was made. You can debate the player worth, it's a completly valid argument, but the controling of players in these pre arb years is key to alot o fthe small market teams deals.

Aside from the dubious value of having "control" over Gary Majewski's contract, there's the general dubious nature of building around kids in the "find their way" years.

As a rule I wouldn't advocate trading 4th year players for 1st and 2nd year players, at least not as a method for building a winning franchise.

M2
07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I still like the deal...Minya is playing with how much money in NY? Also his pitchers this year are old...this is the year THEY MUST WIN.

Until they buy new ones. Don't think for a second the Mets won't be in on Barry Zito and Jason Schmidt this winter.

flyer85
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
The Mets turned Nady(a very average OF, not near the player of Kearns) and a Heath Bell into Roberto hernandez and Linebrink.

Anyone think Minaya did better than WK. Maybe he should have waited two weeks. Although if you look at the other deals WK seemed to pay more than the going rate. He traded minor league starters with a little upside. The others are trading minor league relief pitchers.

westofyou
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
As a rule I wouldn't advocate trading 4th year players for 1st and 2nd year players, at least not as a method for building a winning franchise.

True, but I would probably not advocate going for it this year if the NL wasn't a murky replication of the 1915 Federal League race.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Padres pulled out of this deal in the last minute. No Deal!

Spitball
07-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Padres pulled out of this deal in the last minute. No Deal!

Not so fast with that GM of the year...just Nady to Pirates for Perez and Hernandez. Yawn.

RedsManRick
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Nady and Bell for Hernandez and Linebrink

OR

Ward and Germano for Cormier and Lohse

Kind of stinks to think that we could've gotten Linebrink if only we had flipped Kearns to the 'rats instead for Perez. I have to believe that could've happened. Linebrink is a HUGE addition for the Mets.

oregonred
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
DEAD

Linebrink trade appears to be urban legend (or mets message board rumor that made it to rotoworld). probably need to put DEAD in the thread title.

Didn't make sense that the Pads would want Perez back and given the rumors of what they've recently turned down Linebrink for it really didn't seem to jive.

Hernandez is ancient (42 this fall) but still effective -- he's been around seemingly forever...