PDA

View Full Version : Julio Lugo to LA Dodgers

WVRed
07-31-2006, 03:54 PM
BJ Upton, welcome back to the major leagues.

BRM
07-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Per Rotoworld.

According to ESPN, Julio Lugo has been traded to the Dodgers for Joel Guzman and Sergio Pedroza.

Red Leader
07-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Julio Lugo to the Dodgers for IF-OF Joel Guzman and minor league OF Sergio Pedroza. Lugo will play 2B for L.A. while Jeff Kent is out. Then they'll figure out what his position is.

They just sent Izturis to ChC for Maddux. They have Furcal at SS. So, they acquire Lugo to play 2B while Kent is out and then are going to "find a place for him?" They're going to find a place for a guy they gave up two prospects for? What's going on out there? Are they delusional? :dunno:

KronoRed
07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Yes they are.

TOBTTReds
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I think it was so they could trade him for another vet 3B...who has one of those?

flyer85
07-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Julio Lugo to the Dodgers for IF-OF Joel Guzman and minor league OF Sergio Pedroza. Lugo will play 2B for L.A. while Jeff Kent is out. Then they'll figure out what his position is.

They just sent Izturis to ChC for Maddux. They have Furcal at SS. So, they acquire Lugo to play 2B while Kent is out and then are going to "find a place for him?" They're going to find a place for a guy they gave up two prospects for? What's going on out there? Are they delusional? :dunno:could move him to 3b. Supposedly most have cooled on Guzman.

Some of these moves could have also been about playing defense against an opponent acquiring a player.

M2
07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I assume Guzman's heading to 3B in the D-Rays organization.

He's a perfect fit for the bad attitude club they seem to be building. I'm telling you, they should drop the "Rays" part of the team name and market themselves as the Oakland Raiders of baseball. They could charge a premium for the "champagne seating" section of the park too.

WVRed
07-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I assume Guzman's heading to 3B in the D-Rays organization.

He's a perfect fit for the bad attitude club they seem to be building. I'm telling you, they should drop the "Rays" part of the team name and market themselves as the Oakland Raiders of baseball. They could charge a premium for the "champagne seating" section of the park too.

Do the D'Rays even know what direction they are heading in?

I remember reading not too long ago that they were converting BJ to 3B, now they have somebody at the same position?

I would think Guzman could be an OF for the DRays.

M2
07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Do the D'Rays even know what direction they are heading in?

I remember reading not too long ago that they were converting BJ to 3B, now they have somebody at the same position?

I would think Guzman could be an OF for the DRays.

The DRays already have Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, Jonny Gomes, Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes. They've got no one at 3B in majors or the high minors. Guzman's heading to the hot corner.

Benihana
07-31-2006, 07:53 PM
The DRays already have Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, Jonny Gomes, Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes. They've got no one at 3B in majors or the high minors. Guzman's heading to the hot corner.

I think they have a guy named BJ Upton who currently plays 3B?? I heard he's not too shabby.

And as far as Lugo being a 3B for the Dodgers, didn't they acquire Wilson Betemit two days ago? What in the hale are they doing? If I'm Wayne I (would have) made an offer for Lugo.

M2
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
I think they have a guy named BJ Upton who currently plays 3B?? I heard he's not too shabby.

I completely forgot the D-Rays had recently decided to give up on the notion of coaching and move Upton over to 3B. That organization's handling of the kid has been criminal. Given the current situation I'd guess Guzman's still heading to 3B with Upton going to 2B. There's still no room for Guzman in the OF unless Tampa makes some deals or doesn't feel a pressing need to slot this kid into the majors in the next couple of years.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Red Leader
They just sent Izturis to ChC for Maddux. They have Furcal at SS. So, they acquire Lugo to play 2B while Kent is out and then are going to "find a place for him?" They're going to find a place for a guy they gave up two prospects for? What's going on out there? Are they delusional? :dunno:

I would say it's a desperation move. I mean they are going into the lair of the NL W/C leader w/o Kent or Garciaparra. Could be we just frightened them into make a rash move or 3. :devil:

buckeyenut
07-31-2006, 08:58 PM
not completely sure this makes a lot of sense for TB or for LA, although theoretically, if they had moved Upton to 3B, this would open up moving Upton this offseason and letting Guzman take the job.

Wonder if they might be interested in a Votto for Upton type of move this offseason? I'd have no problem putting Upton back at SS where he belongs and leaving Phillips at 2B, even if it does leave us short a 1B.

Benihana
08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
not completely sure this makes a lot of sense for TB or for LA, although theoretically, if they had moved Upton to 3B, this would open up moving Upton this offseason and letting Guzman take the job.

Wonder if they might be interested in a Votto for Upton type of move this offseason? I'd have no problem putting Upton back at SS where he belongs and leaving Phillips at 2B, even if it does leave us short a 1B.

I'm sure this is nothing short of a pipe dream, but I would move Votto and anyone else in the org not named Bailey or Bruce for Upton. Problem is I think they are now looking for the ML-ready players, as all their prospects are pretty much ready to start breaking in. If they are serious about moving Upton, I'd start with an offer of Votto, Freel and Dumatrait and start negotiating from there. Another problem is the D-Rays tendency to ridiculously overvalue their own players.