PDA

View Full Version : Larue's probably on waivers tomorrow

princeton
07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
the revocable ones, that is. who still needs a catcher?

and if someone should claim Larue on waivers, do we pull him back, or simply say, "Enjoy?"

Col_ IN Reds fan
07-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Hundreds of players will be on waivers tommorow.

Highlifeman21
07-31-2006, 07:14 PM
the revocable ones, that is. who still needs a catcher?

and if someone should claim Larue on waivers, do we pull him back, or simply say, "Enjoy?"

Country Boy can survive a trip to the airport to go to another town...

Hopefully we get something in return for him, but I wouldn't get my hopes up

redsmetz
07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Keep in mind that sometimes waivers are put out there to see who does have interest. Someone may step forward that we can work a deal out with. We shall see.

redsfan30
07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Every player in baseball will be put on waivers tomorrow. Not just LaRue.

MrCinatit
07-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Every player in baseball will be put on waivers tomorrow. Not just LaRue.

I remember last year when Griffey was one of those players. The board was nearing a nervious breakdown.

Spitball
07-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Varitek had to leave the Sox-Indians game tonight after hurting his knee. The Sox wouldn't be afraid of his contract.

Gallen5862
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
How bad did the Varitek injury look? I would like us to get something for Larue.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
How bad did the Varitek injury look? I would like us to get something for Larue.

Wily Mo?

IslandRed
07-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Now that we're into the waiver period, I have a feeling the Reds still have some powder in the horn, and here's why:

July tends to be a seller's market in the wild-card era. In August, there are more sellers and the players who get through waivers tend to be the more expensive ones, and if the sellers can't get talent in return for their expensive players in July, sometimes they'll settle for moving the money in August. If Castellini was serious about taking on some money for a stretch run, we might have chances down the road.

The other possibility is that they'll swear Homer Bailey is going to finish the season in Chattanooga right up to the moment they announce he'll be starting in Cincinnati that night, but I'll take the front office at face value for now.

37red
07-31-2006, 11:21 PM
We saw the Bats play the Mud Hens yesterday and the Bats were sitting on the nests. No life in those guys, no heart beat could be heard.... I wonder if it had something to do with the deadline talk?

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:01 AM
I remember last year when Griffey was one of those players. The board was nearing a nervious breakdown.
I think it was 2001 where it was a National story because JR was on waivers.

knuckler
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
The post-deadline period is actually a great time for teams to trade bad contracts. For example, LaRue for a mediocre veteran starter who isn't worth what he's being paid, but would make a nice #5 starter for a team in need of such a thing. Walt Jockety has been good at those sorts of deals in the past -- didn't he pick up Woody Williams for Ray Lankford that way?

C'mon Wayne, watch that waiver wire and save us from 10 more Claussen starts.

top6
08-01-2006, 11:38 AM
no, griffey was on waivers last year because he was almost traded to the white sox.

the 2001 story was different. the reds waived griffey - as teams do with 100s of players. he was claimed, and the reds revoked the waiver - again as happens all the time. but at the time i don't think the practice was widely known. news of griffey's waiver mysteriously leaked out - and if i recall it was widely accepted that seattle had leaked it as some sort of classy revenge for getting "screwed" in the griffey deal. (this is all from memory, so correct me if i'm wrong.)

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
/\ I remember the same, it was the Mariners.

Heath
08-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Wily Mo?

That Carolina heat's getting to you, isn't it :D

OldXOhio
08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
On a related note, ESPN Radio is reporting Javy Lopez has cleared waivers and is being discussed in a trade to Boston.

Matt700wlw
08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
If Larue is on waivers, and somebody wants him, they can have him. I don't care about the return, because being able to use the money that Dan O'Brien foolishly gave him to obtain more pressing needs this offseason (or even this year) is good enough for me.