PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Deadline Winner

Team Clark
07-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Which team was the biggest Trade Deadline Winner?

Always Red
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Yanks added a lot, both to their team and their payroll. And with all that, they may still finish out of the hunt in the AL.

Reds did pretty OK, I think. Definitely the BP has gone from a weakness to a strength? Now, Narron needs to get guys (starters) who are struggling in the 6th and 7th out of there immediately, even Arroyo and Harang. No way should he let those guys pitch so well for 6 and then lose the game in the 7th.

Where's Captain Hook when you need him??

wally post
07-31-2006, 06:34 PM
The yanks kicked butt, but I'm not going to vote for them!

The Reds improved. The only problem now is our manager. Will he USE the bullpoen? Will he play EE?

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2006, 06:37 PM
I like the Dodgers adding Lugo at 2B and Maddux was not the worst guy out there although his stats may not agree. Chavez Ravine is a much friendlier place for Maddux assuming they don't let him get singled, doubled & tripled to death. Plus he will be pitching in alot more pitcher friendly places like Pac Bell and Petco parks. Also Betemit which I forgot about, although losing Baez in that pen could hurt them.

I need to withold judgement on the Reds deals until I see them pitch. Not too Hi-Jack TC but I just wonder who it is that gets the pleasure of pitching in our pen this year.

Options:
Guardado (If he stays healthy)
Coffey (unless he starts tipping again)
Cormier ($$$)
Lohse (stay tuned if Claussen cannot get it done)
Bray (Still has options if he struggles down the road)
Majewski (Better get it together)
Mercker (Is he done for the year)
Weathers (How the mighty have fallen, LOL)
Standridge (Likely in AAA soon)
Shackelford (See Standridge)
Belisle (See Shackelford/Standridge?)
Balfour (Assuming he is able to get healthy)

Right now we are carrying eight before Lohse gets added tomm. So I see Standridge & Shackelford going to AAA tommorrow and Lohse added and Watson back up!

RedsManRick
07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll pass on Yankees since that's just sick. However, where are the Mets in the poll?

guttle11
07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
The Reds.

They didn't add any big names or a ton of production, but they made their weaknesses better. In a weak NL Central/WC race, they took a huge step forward.

wally post
07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
The Reds have a SERIOUS shot at the playoffs. After that?... who knows. We didn't lose (as far as know) anybody crucial to our future. At least I am of the opinion that is so (bye bye kearns, Lopez and Ward... good name for that guy, Ward)
Anyway - this is an exciting baseball season for redsfans and for the players.
As I've said before, my only current concern is our mgr. Will he play EE? Will he go to our new bullpen?
Krivsky rocked the house this last week or two IMO.
(and Bowden?... wha happened???)

flyer85
07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
If Cormier and Lohse constitute a winner what exactly is the competition?

ChatterRed
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
We gave up too much for Lohse.

Ward and Cueto were our future. Not a good move.

Team Clark
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I forgot the Mets. Sorry. I do not know how to edit a poll. Not sure if you can...

Always Red
07-31-2006, 07:03 PM

Did we trade Cueto?

Royals Fan
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
One team under the radar that got some quality arms and everyday AL hitter were the Royals- Moore made some smart moves and trading away guys that they could afford to part with to get the farm system stock with potentail.

Razor Shines
07-31-2006, 07:16 PM
The Dodgers got both guys I wanted us to get. Especially Lugo.

SeeinRed
07-31-2006, 07:17 PM

The future is uncertain. Who knows where those guys will be in 2 or 3 years? Its always tough to trade young players, but you have to give up something to get something. You can't keep all of your prospects. Besides, there will be other prospects. Its not like they gave away everything.

The Reds Solidified their bullpen even further. Narron has even more options in the later innings. The 5th starter is still a bit of an unknown, but overall, this pitching staff gives the Reds the oppurtunity to make the playoffs when coupled with their offense. I think that a lot of people have over-looked the offense of this team since the Kearns/Lopez trade, but they are still very solid. The Reds were definately winners today. How big of winners they are will be determined later.(Change the Reds to we, and I kinda sounded like Wayne Krivsky... Scary)

In the end though, you have to remember. This team was considered one of the worst teams in all of baseball at the beginning of the year, and for good reason honestly. Expecting to go from that to World Series contender in one year is just silly. The turn-around they have already exhibited is amazing in itself, and if they finish .500 or better, it has to be considered a huge step forward. It even took Marvin Lewis more than one year with the bengals.

oregonred
07-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Did we trade Cueto?

No, but maybe I missed the memo...

savafan
07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
I'd go with the Mets, but they aren't there.

redsfan4445
07-31-2006, 07:35 PM

///cueto wasnt traded in the deal!.. where did you hear this?? all was talked about was Ward.. IF he gave both for this guy thats ridiculous.. he could ofer them both for a better pitcher!!

Larry Schuler
07-31-2006, 08:05 PM
To those who voted for the Yankees: they weren't the winners. They were just the ones with a 200 million dollar payroll.

StillFunkyB
07-31-2006, 08:07 PM
I voted for the Dodgers, but the Mets did well for themselves as well.

buckeyenut
07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I actually like what the Brewers did quite a bit. But the Yankees take it hands down. Jeter, Abreau, Giambi, ARod, Sheffield is the sickest top five I have seen in a long time.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2006, 09:07 PM
I actually like what the Brewers did quite a bit. But the Yankees take it hands down. Jeter, Abreau, Giambi, ARod, Sheffield is the sickest top five I have seen in a long time.

Don't forget Matsui. I think I heard he may be coming back soon. Sheffield is more of a question mark on whether he will be back.

FoReel
07-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Yea but they did just trade for all of them, the yankees main problem is there starting pitching.

Mario-Rijo
07-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Hmmm, the Mets? It seems to me they actually got worse. Sanchez done for the year, no Nady and all they got was Hernandez? Milledge can take Nady's place and he can play as we all know but the kid may not be ready for what's to come. I got the feeling that Nady was clearly a more mature guy and could likely handle a NY postseason run. Oliver Perez is a non-factor too me.

Jpup
08-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Anyone who gets Bobby Abreu without giving up much has to be a winner. The money means very little to the Yankees.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 05:29 AM
From this list, the yanks.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Bobby Abreu and Lidle for a couple minor leaguers that probably wouldn't see the light of day for the Yanks? When I first saw that trade I thought highway robbery, so they probably win.

The Mets did pretty well too, getting a guy for the back of their rotation and bullpen help for Nady, which may open up a spot for Lastings Milledge to get more playing time, possibly?

REDREAD
08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Yankees, hands down. Abreau is the best bat traded. Lidle is arguably the best starting pitcher traded, unless Maddux gets rejuvinated in LA.

A more controversial question would be who was the second and third place finishers? For 2nd, it's a toss up between LA and Mets probably. I guess I'd pick LA though. Oh, I see the Mets didn't even make the poll :lol: But they picked up a decent reliever in Hernandez and potentially Perez will help them in the #5 slot and beyond.

boognish
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I said Dodgers; the additions of Betemit and Lugo should help improve an offense that in spite of leading the NL in OBP (.349), and fifth in runs is needful of inflield bats; currently without Jeff Kent and Nomar Garciaparra, both key contributors. Swapping out Cesar Izturis (.252/.302/.353, 126 PA) and Ramon Martinez (.303/.365/.375) for Betemit (.291/.351/.512) and Lugo (.308/.373/.498) should pay dividends in keeping LA's offense productive in the present.

Maddux and Dessens provide a marginal upgrade over the disgruntled, ineffective Odalis Perez and the hittable Danys Baez (5.3 K/9),

The part of their activity with the most potential of biting them later is the inclusion of Joel Guzman in the Lugo deal. True, he did not have a position and his numbers are inflated in Las Vegas, but Tampa got a potential jewel for a 30+ shortstop in Lugo not likely to live up to the price tag he commands at the end of the year, IMO.

Any word on if the Dodgers and Tampa had differing opinions on where Guzman will end up on the diamond?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
To those who voted for the Yankees: they weren't the winners. They were just the ones with a 200 million dollar payroll.

True, all you need is cash to do what the yanks did. I can just imagine the phone calls the yankees make to other teams. Hey this is the Yankees calling how much you want for Bobby. He's not for sale (enter the million Dollar man Ted Dibiase Steinbrenner) Everybody has their price how about one million billion trillion dollars! OK DEAL