PDA

View Full Version : Wily Mo and Jason Varitek

TOBTTReds
07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Watching the Red Sox the last two nights on ESPN has been nice. Wily Mo is on a tear. Tonight so far he is 3-3 with a single, triple, and an absolute BOMB. Last night he hit a double off the top of the green monster with the handle in his hands after the swing. It would be nice to have that bat back...but obviously the trade has worked. I was hoping there would be a way to get him back, but Theo wouldn't admit to getting shafted so it seems. Also Trot Nixon went on the DL, so Wily Mo will really get some good time out there.

Jason Varitek left the game with a knee injury and could be put on the DL. Doug Mirabelli isn't exactly a great hitter (OK he is awful). Jason LaRue anyone?

EDIT: Didn't see a WMP thread down the page before.

killuminati35
07-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Mirabelli may be a terrible hitter but Larue's .200 batting average isn't much of an improvement.

It would be nice, though.

TOBTTReds
07-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Mirabelli may be a terrible hitter but Larue's .200 batting average isn't much of an improvement.

It would be nice, though.

Right, but if Varitek is hurt, they will still need a 2nd catcher. Especially bc DM is only there to catch Wakefield (who is on the DL anyway)

dougflynn23
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
:) Let's hope that the Red Sox don't go back to review game tapes of LaRue trying to catch Jared Fernandez a few years back. To paraphrase Marty's famous quote about Adam Dunn's OF play launched at a season ticket holder's event, it was "like watching a monkey trying to $%@* a football".

blumj
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
:) Let's hope that the Red Sox don't go back to review game tapes of LaRue trying to catch Jared Fernandez a few years back. To paraphrase Marty's famous quote about Adam Dunn's OF play launched at a season ticket holder's event, it was "like watching a monkey trying to $%@* a football".
I saw Josh Bard trying to catch Wakefield many times earlier this season, and it would have been funny if it didn't seem like cruelty. If Varitek has to go on the DL, and LaRue clears waivers, maybe they'd be interested.

WMR
08-01-2006, 02:26 AM
I miss you Wily MO!!!

KalDanielsfan
08-01-2006, 03:18 AM
that bomb willy mo hit tonight was unbelievable. he's gonna be another greg vaughn/kevin mitchell type player

Jpup
08-01-2006, 06:05 AM
that bomb willy mo hit tonight was unbelievable. he's gonna be another greg vaughn/kevin mitchell type player

sure he will and he was going to be the next Sammy Sosa last year.

KalDanielsfan
08-01-2006, 07:29 AM
sure he will and he was going to be the next Sammy Sosa last year.

I dont get what you're trying to say:confused:

u disagree? or u think greg vaughn/kevin mitchell was an exagerration of some sorts? i think its a fair and legit assessment

Chip R
08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I dont get what you're trying to say:confused:

u disagree? or u think greg vaughn/kevin mitchell was an exagerration of some sorts? i think its a fair and legit assessment

I don't want to put words in his mouth but the general consensus was that Wily Mo was supposed to be the next Sosa - a superstar. Now you say he could be the next Vaughn or Mitchell. Good players for a period of time but not superstars. But the comparison to those 2 may be more apt than the one to Sosa.

RedsMan3203
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
So, have they given any word on Varitek's injury yet?

blumj
08-01-2006, 11:51 AM
So, have they given any word on Varitek's injury yet?
No, they think it's a sprained knee, but they're doing tests today, and so far he's just day to day. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until tonight.

By the way, Corky Miller happens to be hitting .242/.344/.492 for the Pawtucket Red Sox.