PDA

View Full Version : Will The Reds Make The Playoffs?

Jpup
08-01-2006, 03:56 AM
It's August 1st. Make your predictions.

Here are my fearless predictions:

NL Central Cincinnati Reds
NL West San Diego Padres
NL East NY Mets
NL Wildcard St. Louis Cardinals

AL East NY Yankees
AL Central Detroit Tigers
AL West Oakland A's
AL Wild Card Minnesota Twins

Highlifeman21
08-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I see us barely winning the WC, and we might see a repeat of 1999 with a 1 game playoff.

redsmetz
08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, since you didn't give me a "maybe" option, I'm going for the moon - we'll win the division by one game leaving all of St. Louis wailing and gnashing their teeth. But Tony LaRussa will crack a small smile at Jerry Narron outfoxing him somehow. That will make news seen around the world. ;)

puca
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Just going with my gut. I don't think the apparent upgrades to their bullpen changes the fact that this is a poor defensive team with a weakened offense.

I worry that Arroyo and or Harang will not be able to continue to shoulder the workload.

flyer85
08-01-2006, 11:27 AM
WHile this team still has serious warts, BP Playoff Odds give them a 61% chance of making the playoffs. That is a very high number. I'll go with a WC berth.

Even though the defense at SS, 3B and CF is still highly questionable and a number of offensive guys are having career seasons I still think the playoff hopes will be riding on the arms of the starting pitchers.

Spring~Fields
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I want to say that they will make it to the playoffs, I want to hope/believe that they will and could pull off a miracle once in the playoffs but, I think that August will exploit the teams weaknesses that many have expressed and have been concerned with on this message board objectively and subjectively. This years team is a decent start at rebuilding, finally.

reds44
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
NL Central Cincinnati Reds
NL West San Diego Padres
NL East NY Mets
NL Wildcard St. Louis Cardinals

AL East Boston Red Sox
AL Central Detroit Tigers
AL West Oakland A's
AL Wild Card Chicago White Sox

Fullboat
08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
The Wildcard is for woosy teams.:p: I want the division.:thumbup:

dabvu2498
08-01-2006, 01:42 PM
The Wildcard is for woosy teams.
Like the 5 WC teams to have made the last 4 World Series??? Or maybe the 3 that won it in that same time period???

Jpup
08-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I like the positive outlook guys. :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I said Yes with the wildcard.

I do not rule out an NL Central bid yet.

Frankly, I don't care. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

Jpup
08-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I said Yes with the wildcard.

I do not rule out an NL Central bid yet.

With St. Louis playing so poorly and their starting pitching being so bad, I don't think you can't count on the Cards to do anything. The only thing that St. Louis has over the Reds right now is Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen. The Reds have Dunn. The Reds really need Jr. to start playing well, to level the playing field.

I think the Reds can get by the Cards in the central.

Eric_Davis
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes,...the REDS will win the Wild Card, but can't win the division as long as the weakest link, Junior, bats in the 3 hole.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:08 PM
With the NL in the shape it is it would take Harang and Arroyo getting hurt to stop a wild card win.

Spring~Fields
08-01-2006, 04:13 PM
With the NL in the shape it is it would take Harang and Arroyo getting hurt to stop a wild card win.

:luvu: George Grande is that you! :notworthy

Roy Tucker
08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
:luvu: George Grande is that you! :notworthy
No, it's Dave Franklin.

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
No, it's Dave Franklin.
That's Mr.Franklin

oneupper
08-02-2006, 05:13 AM
My heart wishes YES. My head says NO.

I hate it when that happens.

MrCinatit
08-02-2006, 06:28 AM
My heart wishes YES. My head says NO.

I hate it when that happens.

Yeah. I've got the same thing going on. I voted with my brain.
Stupid brain. I'll get you with a Q-tip!

Marc D
08-02-2006, 07:57 AM

Or Arroyo turning back into the career Arroyo.

This guy was a 5th starter/long reliever with a career ERA well north of 4 just as late as last year that a pitching thin team like Boston decided to trade for WMP.

I know he got off to a hot start and made everyone think Kriv's a god and the trade was a fleecing but Arroyo can remember he has always just been an average MLB pitcher at any time.

corkedbat
08-02-2006, 08:05 AM
I hate to say it , but with Arroyo seemingly falling backto his norms, I'd have to say no. Unless Krivs can some how land another decent starter via awaiver deal. Too many teams to close and I feel a bad streak coming on for the Reds.

REDREAD
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I said no. I wish I had more confidence in the Reds, but I see a whole bunch of teams within 4 games of the WC. Arroyo and Harang are getting tired, and Wayne didn't get us any help for the rotation (Louse is not going to help).

The offense is counting on Aurillia and Hatteberg to continue to overachieve.

While the bullpen has improved a lot, I think the other weaknesses (like defense and starting pitching) will sink us.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see more life out of the team for the rest of the LA series.

RBA
08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
This guy was a 5th starter/long reliever with a career ERA well north of 4 just as late as last year that a pitching thin team like Boston decided to trade for WMP.

Actually Boston at the time of the trade was considered "fat" with pitchers by many experts. After the trade, injuries contributed to a thinner starting pitching rotation.