PDA

View Full Version : Players you liked but knew nothing about

Ltlabner
08-01-2006, 07:24 AM
As a kid did you have any players that you really knew nothing about but liked anyway?

I don't mean an idol that everybody likes even though few really know much about him. I'm talking more along the lines of some obscure player that maybe was never really that good, or perhaps was even dreadfull. But for some odd reason you always liked them.

I was always a big fan of U.L. Washington but I had no idea who he was. I just thought he had a cool name. I never saw him play, couldn't tell you what team he was on, or what position he played (I know now because I looked it up before writing this).

He just had that groovy name.

redsmetz
08-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Hadn't thought of it this way, but I think mine was Roy McMillan. I knew he was an ex-Red who played for the new New York Mets. Go figure.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Growing up I loved Kenny Lofton(and still follow him), but I didn't really know a lot about him because back then I was a lot more interested in playing ball myself than watching the games on TV. Speedy guys have always been my favorite type of player.

sdwagers
08-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Al Pedique of the Pirates and Chris James of the Padres.... I got them in a computer sim league and they were always the league leaders in average and HRs and RBIs. Lenny Dykstra was a good player for me too, but he is more of a name guy.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
As a kid did you have any players that you really knew nothing about but liked anyway?

I don't mean an idol that everybody likes even though few really know much about him. I'm talking more along the lines of some obscure player that maybe was never really that good, or perhaps was even dreadfull. But for some odd reason you always liked them.

I was always a big fan of U.L. Washington but I had no idea who he was. I just thought he had a cool name. I never saw him play, couldn't tell you what team he was on, or what position he played (I know now because I looked it up before writing this).

I remember seeing U.L. play in Rookie League ball in Kingsport,TN back in the 70's. He was a hot prospect for the Royals and eventually made it to the big time. He also always had a toothpick in his mouth. That was really very dangerous if he ever had ball hit him the mouth. Ouch........ :help: He was SS for the Royals for a few seasons. He hung around a few years but nothing spectactular.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Growing up I loved Kenny Lofton(and still follow him), but I didn't really know a lot about him because back then I was a lot more interested in playing ball myself than watching the games on TV. Speedy guys have always been my favorite type of player.

Lofton was a very good college basketball player at Arizona as well as being very good baseball player. I believe he played PG for the Wildcats but can't remember what seasons.

zombie-a-go-go
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
For my money, Chris Denorfia doesn't come close to filling Corky Miller's shoes.

dabvu2498
08-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Garth Iorg -- cool name.

jmble
08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Kurt Stillwell. I was 12 years old when he came up. I got mad when they traded him instead of Barry Larkin and I've been a Royals fan ever since. You have no idea how badly I wish he was traded to the Yankees. It would have been a much easier time being a Yankee fan all this time.

08-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Sweetbread Bailey. He was on all my sim teams on whatifsports.com a few years back. I used his name as a good luck charm, I guess. I think he pitched in the 1920's.

KalDanielsfan
08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
jeff treadway
bo diaz
luis salazar
vance law
andres thomas
spike owen
tim wallach

lol i dont know why but i read this thread and those names popped in my head from my childhood

OesterPoster
08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Ron Oester, Jeff Treadway, Gary Redus, Brad "The Animal" Lesley, and Kurt Stillwell. Stillwell was my favorite, and I too, was extremely p'd off when he was traded. I remember him having a gold necklace with the number 11, and he gave it to Larkin when he left for KC.

My all-time favorite umpire from the past is Dutch Rennert.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I'd have to also add Bo Jackson to go along with Lofton. I remember how excited I was when I got his rookie card. The football and baseball combo really won me over as a kid who played both as well

Heath
08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Brook Jacoby.

Overlooked 3b of some putrid Indians teams in the 80's. Chris Sabo without the goggles.

Joseph
08-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Oddibe Mcdowell for the aforementioned name reasons. Steve Balboni, again for the name thing.

savafan
08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
For me it was always Manny Trillo. People laughed at me because I horded Trillo baseball cards. I used to love flashy defensive players.

writerdan33
08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Two words:

Wayne Krenchicki...:jump:

Danny Serafini
08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I thought Leo Garcia was some sort of supersub for the Reds because he was constantly getting called up one year. Guess it didn't register that he was also constantly getting sent down.

TOBTTReds
08-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Glenn Braggs mostly bc of the 1990 playoffs. The catch at the wall in game 5 vs. Pit, and the broken bat off his back was the coolest thing I'd seen back then.

TStuck
08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
A couple of guys who I liked were

Kurt Bevacqua
Merv Rettenmund
Gene Richards
Gene Tenace

Tenace was in the very first pack of baseball cards I ever got back in 1976. For some reason I liked thereafter. Bevacqua had a cool name, played a bunch of positions and played for just about every team in the 70s-80s. Rettenmund had a cool name and was a former Red. I always felt like Richards was an underappreciated player on a crappy Padres team in the late 70's early 80's.

Johnny Footstool
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
I remember seeing U.L. play in Rookie League ball in Kingsport,TN back in the 70's. He was a hot prospect for the Royals and eventually made it to the big time. He also always had a toothpick in his mouth. That was really very dangerous if he ever had ball hit him the mouth. Ouch........ :help: He was SS for the Royals for a few seasons. He hung around a few years but nothing spectactular.

I remember playing little league here in Kansas and seeing literally dozens of kids imitating U.L. Washington's toothpick-in-the-mouth schtick. I begged my parents to let me do it, too, and they wisely refused.

reds77
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Good thread. I'll throw Gary Varsho into the mixed. Not sure why, but I always liked watching him come off the bench to hit with the Cubs, Pirates, and Reds in the early 90s.

cumberlandreds
08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I always liked many of the old Pirates for some reason. Al Oliver,Richie Hebner,Bob Robertson,Manny Sanguillen and Willie Stargell.

westofyou
08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Juan Marichel
Billy Williams
Sonny Siebert
Mike Epstein

redsupport
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Wade Rowdon
Dom Zanni
Ted Weiand
Howie Nunn

BuckWoody
08-01-2006, 11:58 AM
A couple of guys who I liked were

Kurt Bevacqua
Merv Rettenmund
Gene Richards
Gene Tenace

You must not have lived through the '72 series. I hated that man. :angry:

Claude Osteen - had a really cool "in action" baseball card and was a former Red.
Harmon Killebrew - one of my all-time favorite guys and I doubt I ever saw him play more than a couple of times.
Norm Cash - had a ton of his cards and there were A LOT of stats on the back.

HalMorrisRules
08-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Eddie Matthews. Had an old baseball card of him.

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Lofton was a very good college basketball player at Arizona as well as being very good baseball player. I believe he played PG for the Wildcats but can't remember what seasons.

Cats made the final four inj the late 80s with Lofton as PG actually. Ridiculously athletic.

I'll throw Carlos Baerga in here; maybe just because his last name is fun to say out loud.

shredda2000
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Champ Summers

IowaRed
08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Cesar Tovar. I was taken to a Twins game when I was too young to remember and had a picture of Cesar. Loved the name and the look of those late 60's Twins uni's. Oliva became one of my all-time favorite players

redsupport
08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
the reds had tovar but traded him for the great gerry arrigo

danwl
08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Virtually every player whose career ended before 1975, when I was seven. Legends in my mind. Mark Lemongello, a pitcher for the Stros in the late 70s. I mean, his name is lemon jello; what's not to like?

Vida Blue and Blue Moon Odem, who I thought were the same person as a kid; that is, Vida "Blue Moon" Odem, a heckuva pitcher for the As. Then Blue went to the Giants and I figured it out. Vada Pinson, who I think I also thought was Vida Blue. I think of him as a Royal, though; 'cause he'd been traded from the Reds by the time I was old enough to know.

TStuck
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
You must not have lived through the '72 series. I hated that man. :angry:

I was only 4 in 1972, so I wasn't aware of the heinous side of Gene Tenace when I first got his card. However, as I got older, I learned the cold, hard truth that Gene Tenace was a bad, bad man for what he had done to my Reds all those years earlier.:angry:

Scrap Irony
08-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Rick Miller

Tommyjohn25
08-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Glenn Braggs mostly bc of the 1990 playoffs. The catch at the wall in game 5 vs. Pit, and the broken bat off his back was the coolest thing I'd seen back then.

Ah you beat me to it, I loved Braggs for some reason, I think alot of it was because I was only 11 during the '90 season. I saw him make that great play you are talking about, and the guy just stood out to me, freakishly strong and monstrous big.

redsfanmia
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM

U.L. was cool because he always had a toothpick in his mouth even when he played.

Keystone12
08-02-2006, 12:32 AM
This thread has deteriorated into "players who had cool names"

if that's the case, then:
Herm Winningham
John Cerutti
Mariano Duncan
Razor Shines
Kevin Maas
Pete Incaviglia
Dan Quisenberry

if, as the thread suggests, this is players we liked whom we knew nothing about:

Fred McGriff
Razor Shines
Mike Greenwell
Jim Deshaies (I have NO idea why)
Dave Parker (egomaniac, but was in my Parker Bros' baseball game! Irony!)

Heath
08-02-2006, 12:37 AM
2 pages and no one says Biff Pocoroba or Super Joe Charbonneau.

Sad.

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 01:56 AM
COOL NAMES: Tim Wallach, Marty Barrett, Spike Owen, Baudillo Jose Diaz, Jeff Treadway, Ken Oberkfell, Steve Balboni, Jay Buhner, Walt Weiss, Kent Hrbek, Ivan Calderon, Vance Law, Brook Jacoby, Cory Snyder, Tracey Jones, Chris Bando, Kent Tekulve jsut to name a few

RadfordVA
08-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Born in 1981 and didnt have cable so back then my knowledge of baseball players came almost solely from playoff games and baseball cards. I loved Kevin Mitchell based alone on his cool 1987 topps card sliding into home with dirt everywhere. I thought Delino Deshields and Marquis Grissom were going to be a great 1, 2 punch for years to come. I also liked Mike Lavalliere because he was nicknamed spanky and looked more like a catcher than anyone in the history of the world has and that was what I wanted to be. A catcher not someone who looks like one.

MartyFan
08-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Interesting thread...I was a child of the mid 70's...BRM was not a team to watch they were the ONLY team to watch.

I always hated EVERY DODGER...pretty much still do.

One player I liked on the basis of his name was Balboni...he played in Columbus for the Clippers, I believe when the clippers were a AAA farm team of the Pirates.

Others that I liked because of their names or for no apparent reason....

JR Richards
Mike Lum
John Moreland

I know there are more but at 3:30 in the morning what do you expect?

Spitball
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Rick Miller

Rick Miller!?!? :laugh: I must say I did not expect to see this former Red Sox outfielder anywhere near this thread.

I love Coco Crisp and name. He is my wife's favorite player.

Anyone remember Braves' prospect Wonderful Terrific Monds the third?

I loved Pablo Torrealba's name. It was fun to say. Pa-blo Torre-al-ba.

There were also players I liked mainly because of their names like Rocky Colavito, Richie Scheinblum, ChooChoo Coleman, and Rico Petrocelli.

cumberlandreds
08-02-2006, 08:56 AM
How about John Boccabella? Does anyone remember how the Montreal PA announcer used stretch out his name? John Boc....ca......bell....a........

Tony Cloninger
08-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Vada Pinson. Very good......just not quite a HOF type player...but always, to me, a very underrated player.

He was my moniker on Fastball.com
I loved that site.

Cesar Geronimo....the only 1 of the starting great 8....that i have never heard speak at all. He is like Maggie of the Simpsons.

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Von Hayes

MrCinatit
08-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Motorboat Jones
Bob Watson
Don Wilson

Spitball
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
What about Cincinnati native and former Phillie Whiz Kid from the 1950's, Willie "Puddin' Head" Jones. I believe he was selling cars somewhere in Cincy as late as the sixties.

Can you imagine going through life with the nickname Puddin' Head?

nate
08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Howdy

I grew up in "Twins" country during the 70's and have these names forever etched in my mind:

Bombo Rivera
Hosken Powell

I think Butch Wynegar is a good runner up for a "cool name".

For a player I liked but didn't know too much about, I have to go with Freddie Patek. He was the reason I always used to think that shortstops had to be short.

ED44
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Eddie Milner, Chris Stynes and Bip Roberts were three of my favorite Reds...

Mike Bordick was another guy I liked too. He could flash some glove with the best of them.

vaticanplum
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Augie Galan. Apparently he was tiny and had the worst luck ever. And yes, the name is endearing.

redsupport
08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
tim costo

westofyou
08-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Augie Galan. Apparently he was tiny and had the worst luck ever. And yes, the name is endearing.
5' 11 ain't "tiny" is it?

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog/images/AugieGalanBW.tif.jpg

dabvu2498
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Dave Steib

vaticanplum
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
5' 11 ain't "tiny" is it?

Was he really that tall? I thought he was scrappy. Well, cue the "know nothing about" part.

Always Red
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Vada Pinson. Very good......just not quite a HOF type player...but always, to me, a very underrated player.

I loved Vada Pinson, he was an excellent player for a number of years for the Reds, and I agree, very underrated.

Bobby Tolan is another underrated Red, who played right at the beginning of the BRM days. He had a severe injury (achilles?) that robbed him of his speed. But he was an excellent CF. His injury, I believe, was the reason the Reds needed Geronimo in that trade? Not sure if I'm remember ing that correctly.

Wayne Simpson. Had an incredible first half of 1970, had am problems after that, and dropped off the face of the earth. I think 1970 was the year the Reds started out 70-30 after the first 100 games. I was 9 years old, and thought Sparky Anderson was the greatest thing since PB &J.

Hap
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Sixto Lezcano
Juan Beniquez
Bombo Rivera
Pete LaCock (dude, change your name like your dad did)
Dick Green
Rusty Kuntz
John D'Acquisto (how in the heck do you pronounce that?)

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Andy Van SLyke was a great baseball name.
Dickie Thon
JT Snow
Brook Jacoby

Matt700wlw
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Eddie Murray...obviously he did something., so I'm breaking the rules a bit

I liked how he wore his hat under his helmet...I did a few times myself in little league when I could.

Clepper
08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Sid Bream. How that old man ever beat that throw to home I'll never know.