PDA

View Full Version : My timetable for Homer

GitRDunn
08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I know this idea will not be popular with a number of individuals who are demanding that HB be brought up to the majors right now. However, here's what I would do if I was WK...

Today, August 1... Promote HB to AAA and let him make his next scheduled start. Let him continue pitching in AAA throughout August.

September 1... if HB continues to dominate throughout August, add him to the expanded September roster. If I remember correctly, potential playoff teams must have their playoff roster set on September 1. Let HB make 4-5 starts in September. His performance in September would then tell you whether or not he is capable of carrying this team in the playoffs.

That's what I would do... a bit of a compromise between bringing him to the majors now and forcing him to stay in the minors the rest of the season.

Hooligan
08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I's like to see HB in cincinnati as soon as possible. But, they must make sure he's ready or we will have another Ryan Wagner on our hands. A few starts in AAA then some spot relief in the bigs would work for me.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I's like to see HB in cincinnati as soon as possible. But, they must make sure he's ready or we will have another Ryan Wagner on our hands. A few starts in AAA then some spot relief in the bigs would work for me.

I don't think he should even do any spot relief. I think they should just let the kid finish out the year in the minors and go into next season full of confidence. If he's dominant in AAA next year, then I would think about bringing him up. We don't need him in our BP for any spot relief thanks to trades now and even though we have a hole in the back of our rotation, I'd rather fill it with someone else then potentially ruin the kid's confidence.

BoCcc2832
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, Bailey likely won't be making any starts, regardless, now that we got Lohse, who will probably be our number 5. Bailey will most likely be working out of the pen. Other than that, I like your idea.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Well, Bailey likely won't be making any starts, regardless, now that we got Lohse, who will probably be our number 5. Bailey will most likely be working out of the pen. Other than that, I like your idea.

Lohse is going to the pen.

Dunner44
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be against moving Bailey up to AAA, but when he gets there, the brass is going ot have to make him throw his breaking pitches, like they were doing in Sarasota. If it inflates his ERA, so be it, he can't get by on his FB alone up in the bigs. If Soto could come back from the Dominican for a week or two and give him a changeup clinic, that would be a very good thing.

But until Homer has two good out pitches working, keep him in AAA.

Unassisted
08-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I guess you folks are going to have pulled out most of your hair and/or banged a new flat place onto your foreheads by the time Homer gets to Cincinnati in September of 2007, eh? :evil:

Red Rover
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Yes Homer will pitch in the playoffs, but it will be in Chattanooga.

Red Leader
08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I'd actually like to see Phil Dumatrait get the start on Sunday if Claussen is not ready. Not a bad spot to see what you've got with him, and he should be ready for a test. If he pitches well, keep him there and keep Claussen in the minors until he proves to be 100%.

On Bailey, I think the only way he gets a call up is if Claussen gets bombed, and Dumatrait isn't the answer. I'd rather Homer get a start than Lohse.

RedEye
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM

I think comparisons with Ryan Wagner are a bit faulty. Wagner was drafted out of college in keeping with a recent trend of quickly-promoted closers (Huston Street, Chad Cordero). He didn't work out because the Reds screwed with his strange mechanics in order to make them more deceptive. He also had an attitude problem, which didn't help.

Homer is only 20 and has already been in the minors for several years. The Reds have been lucky that he has been injury-free and successful. He needs to work on his stuff (something Wagner didn't really need to do as a more one-dimensional closer). The Reds are hoping he'll be the next big thing as a starter, which takes more seasoning as a young pitcher since you need to have an arsenal of pitches (right now he's got like 2 1/2 ML pitches I think). So far, Homer has not shown any of the attitude problems that Wagner got as soon as they started telling him how to change his approach. Bailey seems to be adopting their suggestions and improving his approach.

The only comparison would be if they rushed Bailey to the majors, but if he fails I think it would be for entirely different reasons--perhaps from being shell-shocked. On the other hand, he's done enough in the minors now to warrant consideration, especially as a spot 5th starter in September. I think he's strong enough to take any kind of failure he might encounter. But I guess that's a gamble Kriv and Cast will have to decide to make.

terminator
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I guess you folks are going to have pulled out most of your hair and/or banged a new flat place onto your foreheads by the time Homer gets to Cincinnati in September of 2007, eh? :evil:
I think you are right. With Krivsky's patience re: Bailey, I think if we sign a bona fide starter in the free agent market, that there won't be much chance of Bailey making the team out of spring training. Harang, Arroyo, FREE AGENT, Ramirez and Milton. (And other guys like Claussen in the mix too.) Barring injuries or trades, I see Bailey taking Milton's rotation slot after he is gone next year.

reds44
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
My timetable:

1. He gets control on his breaking balls
2. Call him up

1 must come before 2.

buckeyenut
08-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I think he is most likely targeted to replace Milton after his contract is up.

That said, there is a large part of me that would like Bailey to be up and in the pen from August 15th on. Not because I want him to pitch, but because I want him to experience a major league playoff run. What better way to start out his career than by being around a playoff team?

Highlifeman21
08-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Homer Bailey will not make a significant contribution for the Reds before May 1, 2008.

That's the timetable.

redsfanmia
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
:deadhorse

OldRedBuck
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Bailey should finish this season with Chat...period.

There is one P that gets a ton of managers and gm's cornered. You do not rush a once in a generation arm just because the parent is in contention. You do not trade the arm and you do not rush it..

Do you think the Cubbies would have done things different if they had it to do over again?