PDA

View Full Version : Corey Lidle - Bridge Burner

Chip R
08-01-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/439679p-370404c.html

Cory gives Philly a brotherly shove

While some players have struggled with the high expectations and intensity that come with playing in New York, Cory Lidle plans to embrace it - particularly because he says it's a departure from where he used to play.

"I'm the kind of player that goes to the field expecting to win," the former Phillies righthander said in a conference call yesterday. "Unfortunately, over the past few years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me. We'd go to the field and it's almost a coin-flip whether the guys behind me are going to play 100% and I know that's not going to be the deal here in New York."

Lidle was dealt to the Yanks along with Bobby Abreu on Sunday and is scheduled to make his first start for the Bombers on Thursday. When he was asked to elaborate, Lidle didn't hesitate.

"I think going to the clubhouse every day with 24 other guys expecting to win is going to help me," he said. " Sometimes there were mixed signals (in Philadelphia). Sometimes it seemed like winning was all that mattered, sometimes it seemed like winning didn't matter of all. That was just kind of a feeling I got."

Lidle believes Abreu will be pleased with the feel of the Yanks, too. "He's the kind of person I think belongs in the Yankee clubhouse," Lidle said. "He got a bad rap from some of the Philly fans around here. Every time I heard that, it made me kind of upset because they don't know him, they don't how important the team is for him. He may not be that guy who sacrifices his body to get to a ball but he's there 162 games a year ready to play. He's going to be consistent year in and year out."

Unassisted
08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
"Unfortunately, over the past few years, I haven't had a clubhouse that expected to win with me."

I guess that would scuttle Cory's chances of getting voted into the Reds HOF, too, eh? ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
He couldn't have been talking about Cincinnati. We had that clubhouse chemistry thing down when he was here.

RANDY IN INDY
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Lidle doesn't have the successful track record to be making comments like that. I hope he gets bombed as a Yankee.

dabvu2498
08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Lidle doesn't have the successful track record to be making comments like that. I hope he gets bombed as a Yankee.
I hope all Yankees get bombed.

redsfan30
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
He couldn't have been talking about Cincinnati. We had that clubhouse chemistry thing down when he was here.
Yeah but there certainly was no "win at all cost" mentality.

Chip R
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I hope all Yankees get bombed.

Well, they are the Bronx Bombers. :D

WVRed
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Yep, all the hugs and smiles to go around.:)

Heath
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I guess Casey didn't hug Lidle enough.

He didn't burn the bridge, he obliterated it.

Matt700wlw
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
..And some people wanted this guy to come back as the Reds 5th starter...

He and his almost 5 ERA better have a career 2 months or he'll be booed out of New York

KronoRed
08-01-2006, 04:00 PM
..And some people wanted this guy to come back as the Reds 5th starter...

Heck..I still do, the guy we just got who will end up as the 5th starter isn't exactly well loved in Minnesota

SunDeck
08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
No way he say's that if he'd have been dealt to the Mets. It's easy to trash talk when there will be no at bats against the Phils this year.

Matt700wlw
08-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Heck..I still do, the guy we just got who will end up as the 5th starter isn't exactly well loved in Minnesota

I wasn't crazy about it when he came here the first time...I would have been less crazy about it a second time around.

08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I just saw on ESPN News Arthur Rhodes replied to these comments. He said Likdl;e would only pitch 5 and a third innings, and then just wanted to sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream and he had a poor work ethic. He then brought up Lidle's past history as a replacement player. Her didn't use the "scab" word.

After that report they played part of Lidle's press conference and he addressed Rhode's comments. He really sounded kind of lame to me.

jmcclain19
08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I just saw on ESPN News Arthur Rhodes replied to these comments. He said Likdl;e would only pitch 5 and a third innings, and then just wanted to sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream and he had a poor work ethic. He then brought up Lidle's past history as a replacement player. Her didn't use the "scab" word.

After that report they played part of Lidle's press conference and he addressed Rhode's comments. He really sounded kind of lame to me.
He most definitely called Lidle a scab

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14139414/

Philadelphia Phillies relief pitcher Arthur Rhodes blasted his now ex-teammate Cory Lidle, who told reporters after his trade to the New York Yankees that his former team did not care much about winning, the New York Post said.
"He is a scab," Rhodes said about Lidle, in reference to Rhodes saying that Lidle was a replacement player during the 1995 spring training lockout with the Milwaukee Brewers. "When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him. The only thing Cory Lidle wants to do is fly around in his airplane and gamble.
"He doesn't have a work ethic. After every start, he didn't run or lift weights. He would sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream."
"When he pitched, we busted our tails for him," Rhodes added. "He shouldn't say that, he shouldn't say anything like that because he is a scab. He crossed the line when guys like me, Flash (Tom Gordon) and (Mike) Lieberthal were playing. He is a replacement player."
On Monday, Lidle questioned the Phillies' commitment to winning.
"I'm the kind of player who goes to the field every day expecting to win," Lidle said. "Over the last few years, I haven't had a clubhouse expecting to win with me. On the days I was pitching, it was almost a coin flip as to whether guys behind me were going to play 100 percent.
"A lot of other guys in that [Phillies] clubhouse didn't all go out there with one goal in mind. Everyone liked to win, but they didn't expect to win. I think that being with 24 other guys that come to the clubhouse every day and expect to win will raise my level of play."

Falls City Beer
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Give em hell, Arthur!!! :beerme:

Jpup
08-02-2006, 04:40 AM
I had a feeling that the "scab" comment was going to come out. I would say that he is not all that well liked among his teammates wherever he is playing.

The Baumer
08-02-2006, 04:46 AM
Rhodes' comments are hilarious. Fly in his jet and gamble. LOL.

MrCinatit
08-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Didn't Corey have a remarkable ability for not being able to pitch after five innings here, as well?
Oh, and is this the same Corey Lidle who WILLINGLY signed with the Reds as a FA, then did the same with the Phils after being traded by the Reds? If so, then, gee, I guess it is his own personal preference to play for non-contenders.
I've a feeling he's gonna be real popular in The Bronx :rolleyes:

KittyDuran
08-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I had a feeling that the "scab" comment was going to come out. I would say that he is not all that well liked among his teammates wherever he is playing.Oh, I don't know... Dunn called him "Easy" Lidle because he'd fleece him playing poker... IIRC. ;)

Chip R
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I had a feeling that the "scab" comment was going to come out. I would say that he is not all that well liked among his teammates wherever he is playing.

I guess those feelings still run pretty deep for those "scabs". I would have thought the "non-scabs" would have gotten over that by now. :dunno:

KittyDuran
08-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I guess those feelings still run pretty deep for those "scabs". I would have thought the "non-scabs" would have gotten over that by now. :dunno:Doubt it... who was the "scab" that played for the Reds and had a pretty good career - but IIRC Larkin and others would always bring up that he was a "scab"? Was his last name Reed, Reid? :confused:

Chip R
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Doubt it... who was the "scab" that played for the Reds and had a pretty good career - but IIRC Larkin and others would always bring up that he was a "scab"? Was his last name Reed, Reid? :confused:

Yeah, Rick Reed. I think he used to pitch for the Twins. Maybe he's next on Wayne's list. ;)

realreds1
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, Rick Reed. I think he used to pitch for the Twins. Maybe he's next on Wayne's list. ;)

Rick Reed is happily retired, coaching college baseball. He lives about 10 minutes from here. :)

Reds Nd2
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
"When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him.

In 21 starts this season, Lidle has pitched less than 6 innings only five times.

"...He is a replacement player."

So sayeth' the pitcher with a 0.8 VORP.

LINEDRIVER
08-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I seem to recall some silly comment made by Lidle when he left the Reds. I dont remember exactly what is was. Does anybody else recall it?

Possibly something along the lines of, "I just realized I was tipping my pitches and now they get rid of me."

Big Klu
08-03-2006, 12:02 AM
I guess those feelings still run pretty deep for those "scabs". I would have thought the "non-scabs" would have gotten over that by now. :dunno:

I don't know if you work in a union shop, but scabs definitely cause hard feelings. I have worked a union job for 12 years, and fortunately we have never been on strike since I have been here. But I have friends and relatives that have worked at union jobs who have gone on strike, and it gets ugly when management brings in (or attempts to bring in) non-union replacement personnel.

Chip R
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't know if you work in a union shop, but scabs definitely cause hard feelings. I have worked a union job for 12 years, and fortunately we have never been on strike since I have been here. But I have friends and relatives that have worked at union jobs who have gone on strike, and it gets ugly when management brings in (or attempts to bring in) non-union replacement personnel.

Oh, I understand all that. I just thought it might be somewhat different for ball players. These guys are making millions of dollars. They are not struggling to make ends meet like Joe Sixpack. I cannot say I am surprised that there are still hard feelings. I just thought enough water has gone under the bridge for them to get over it.

08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Oh, I understand all that. I just thought it might be somewhat different for ball players. These guys are making millions of dollars. They are not struggling to make ends meet like Joe Sixpack. I cannot say I am surprised that there are still hard feelings. I just thought enough water has gone under the bridge for them to get over it.

I always wondered that, to. But a principle is a principle, I suppose.

The last contract my union had to vote on had a guy passing out "Vote Yes" buttons, while most of us walked around with "Vote No" on our shirts with Magic Marker. He also reported to management how many NO's he thought he turned into "Yesses". He still hasn't been offered an company job. ;) The guy is still pretty much shunned. I can't see MLB players doing that.:)

RedFanAlways1966
08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
And as we see so much these days...

Owners & Unions... they are both greedy and selfish IMO. Both sides care more about themselves than they do about THE GAME.

I do not associate the MLB Union with other "labor" Unions relative to the non-Union thing. Who wouldn't take an opportunity to be a big-league player... regardless of the situation?!? I know I would... and I'd guess that 99% of RZ members would do the same. Also hard to feel sympathy for guys who get the things MLB players get ($$millions$$, meal money, etc.) and decide the need for more is worth standing in a picket-line. I'd like to think that the average-Joe sides with the non-Union-type who decides he'd play the game despite the "unworkable conditions" that cause the millionaires to go on strike.

When ballplayers make derogatory comments about a non-Union-type, it makes me side with that non-Union-type. If players want to take the other side on comments made by the non-Union-type that have nothing to do with being in the Union, then no problem (like, "Everyone in this clubhouse tries their best to win despite what Lidle says."). When you can only put the guy down by calling him names like scab, then you've got nothing... like an immature kid on the playground calling other kids names.

08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
And as we see so much these days...

Owners & Unions... they are both greedy and selfish IMO. Both sides care more about themselves than they do about THE GAME.

I do not associate the MLB Union with other "labor" Unions relative to the non-Union thing. Who wouldn't take an opportunity to be a big-league player... regardless of the situation?!? I know I would... and I'd guess that 99% of RZ members would do the same. Also hard to feel sympathy for guys who get the things MLB players get ($$millions$$, meal money, etc.) and decide the need for more is worth standing in a picket-line. I'd like to think that the average-Joe sides with the non-Union-type who decides he'd play the game despite the "unworkable conditions" that cause the millionaires to go on strike.

When ballplayers make derogatory comments about a non-Union-type, it makes me side with that non-Union-type. If players want to take the other side on comments made by the non-Union-type that have nothing to do with being in the Union, then no problem (like, "Everyone in this clubhouse tries their best to win despite what Lidle says."). When you can only put the guy down by calling him names like scab, then you've got nothing... like an immature kid on the playground calling other kids names.

They aren't really a union- theya re an association. I don't know what the difference is, other than unions are sanctioned by the federal government, I think.

I always wondered if the regular season was played with scabs; if the regular players would picket (probably not- hard to do from your Florida or Arizona mansion) and upturn the replacement's cars like us real union members might.:beerme: