PDA

View Full Version : How do deals work after the trade deadline?

bucknutdet
08-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I was reading the other board and they were discussing the waiver wire. How do deals/trades happen after the trade deadline? Or is that even possible? Obviously a team can pick up a player who has been waived, but are there other ways for deals to be made?

westofyou
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
They can trade him to another team, even if the so-called "trading deadline" has passed. Any trades made after July 31 may only involve players who have cleared waivers.

If a player doesn't clear waivers -- in other words, if he's claimed by another team or teams -- the club requesting waivers may withdraw the waiver request.

If the club doesn't withdraw the waiver request, the player's contract is assigned in the following manner:

(A) If only one claim is entered, the player's contract is assigned to that claiming club.

(B) If more than one club in the same league makes claims, the club currently lower in the standings gets the player.

(C) If clubs in both leagues claim the player, preference shall always go to the club in the same league as the club requesting waivers.

jmble
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I think you will find that as of today, everybody in the baseball practically has probably been put on the waiver wire. It's just something teams do. Obviously most of the stars get claimed, probably by several teams and are just pulled off the wire. But players like Jason LaRue who are making unreasonable salaries and having down years, probably will make it through. That way if Boston were interested, they could then acquire him through a trade. Obviously it would have to be for another player who has cleared waivers in Boston's system.

OesterPoster
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
There's a good refresher on MLB transactions here:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

blumj
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
But players like Jason LaRue who are making unreasonable salaries and having down years, probably will make it through. That way if Boston were interested, they could then acquire him through a trade. Obviously it would have to be for another player who has cleared waivers in Boston's system.
Or not be on the 40 man roster, is that right?

Newman4
08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Or not be on the 40 man roster, is that right?

I think so. So minor leaguers not on the 40 are fair game.